5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ-U)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 07:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Is there a use for the "economy" button on climate systems?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=41438

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 10-16-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:39 PM

What are the pros/cons of the different intakes available?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=55249
Old 08-24-2001, 10:59 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Will mods void my warranty?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
The warranty is only void if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

This is federal law. Don't let any dealer try to tell you different, if they do, go to another one or call Nissan USA and get them to give the service manager a little call too.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=34138

Credit: mzmtg
Warranty DENIAL due to MODS!
============================
Explanation of what you can do.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253
Old 10-10-2001, 01:32 PM

Why should I only use Premium Chevron w/ Techron....

Some useful information about Chevron with Techron gasoline along with some explanations of octane, pinging, and additives.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/
Old 10-30-2001, 08:06 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Where can I get my car dynoed?

http://dynojet.com/lauto.shtml

Credit: dwapenyi
Old 11-18-2001, 10:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wheel weights

http://home.earthlink.net/~cvlocas/wheels.html

http://maxtuning.com/tech/wheelsweights.asp

Credit: psing23 and 2K2DEMAX
Old 12-04-2001, 08:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What's that tube on the windshield washer reservoir cap?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=82651

Credit: theMax
Old 12-22-2001, 08:00 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Shoud I save money by using a lower octane gas?

Article/dyno taken from http://www.dynospotracing.com

Granted it's not a Maxima, it should make you think twice before filling up with the cheap stuff.

Here is a dyno chart showing two different cars. When I dynoed one of these cars, I knew that something was immediately wrong! Guess which one?

Notice that the 89 Octane car's power curves are very jagged. This is a result of the car "hearing" knocking and pinging and desperately trying to adjust the timing and save the engine. The ECU is almost searching for the best advance and having quite some trouble, not good.

The stunning results of running the lower grade fuel are -22 ft/lbs and almost -19 HP!!!! Ouch!

Folks, don't abuse the knock sensing capabilities of you beloved car. Let's just stick to the good stuff!

http://www.dynospotracing.com/images/octane.jpg
Click here to see the article: http://www.dynospotracing.com/octane.htm

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=86357
Old 01-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Reading sparkplugs (rich? lean? normal?)

http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/_techtalk/00000005.htm

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=89692

Credit: Victim64
Old 01-11-2002, 07:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

How do I handle Internet fraud?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...anty/intro.htm

Credit: mzmtg
Old 01-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

When do I need to regap my sparkplugs?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=88641
Old 01-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Are y pipes emissions legal?

Actually, it is a Federal crime, mandated by the Clean Air Act of 1970! It's pretty clear what the law is on this. Sure, you may pass emissions, but if an inspector has a wild air up his ***, he could have yours on a platter!!!

Read TheClean Air Act of 1970, Section 203 (a-3A)

Read What the penalty could be for not following Section 203 (a-3A)

Read the entire Clean Air Act of 1970

So, mod at your own risk

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=94863

Credit: zman187 (question) and FastCougar (answer)
Old 02-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I hear banging after my y-pipe install... what should I do?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Here's what I'd try first. Crawl under your car and loosen the four bolts holding in your main catalytic converter. Then rock the catalytic converter back and forth for a little while. I think the bees-in-a-can sound is coming from the flex section on your new y-pipe. If there is some stress in your y-pipe (like the engine trying to turn it one way and the cat turning it the other way) I think it would be more likely to make this sound.

When I installed my pipe, I had maybe four or five bees in my can (thank goodness it wasn't a whole swarm). After doing this I only have one or two left, which are probably there to stay.

---------

Was your exhaust just banging on this cross member, or what? To fix this you could just drop the cross member by placing multiple washers on each of the eight bolts used to mount it to the undercarriage. I used four washers on each bolt and don't have any banging anymore (except over very bumpy roads while accelerating hard).

Credit: Desert Pearl
I had 2 noise problems. One: my new Y was vibrating on my heat shield-I had the shield cut to remove the part around the Y. Two: when my engine torqued it was causing the y to bang on the cross member. This was fixed by slight bending up (about a 1/4 inch) the two prongs that hold the y-pipe (mounted on the car body just before the cat. convert.). This raised the Y just enough so that it doesn't hit the cross member anymore.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Approximate boost for different sized supercharger pulleys

3.60" - 6.5 psi
3.48" - 7.5 psi
3.33" - 9.0 psi

I personally won't not recommended doing the following pulleys:
3.25" - 10.0 psi
3.125" - 11.0 psi
2.87" - 13.0 psi
2.62" - 15.0 psi

These are approximations, so just because I said X.XX" pulley will put down XX.X psi doesn't mean that you will put down that amount.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...es/pulley.html
Old 03-22-2002, 11:21 AM

$450-$600 no thanks! What I need to build a BETTER custom Cat-Back for LESS money.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05sportc.asp

!!DO NOT REMOVE INCASE LINKS GET BROKEN AGAIN!!
Let's say you don't own a Civic, Integra, Eclipse or some sort of popular sport compact car. Maybe you have an old-school Celica or a Cavalier, Neon, Hyundai, Geo, Saturn or similar ride that doesn't have tons of aftermarket support. Maybe you want a spiffy, polished stainless system but can't get a pre-made offering you like. Maybe you have a popular car, but it has a ripping turbo system and no one makes a good pre-made, 3-inch system for your car. What to do? Well, you could always roll your own system. And if you do it right, it will be as good as, maybe even better than a commercially produced system. It will probably be cheaper, too.

First, we'll explain how the different parts of an exhaust work so you can choose the best pieces, then show you how you can build a high-performance system with perhaps some help from your local muffler shop or a friendly welder. No matter how small a town you live in, you should still be able to get this stuff done.

THE MUFFLER
The key part of your exhaust system is the muffler. The muffler is the can at the end of your exhaust whose main purpose in life is to make the exhaust noise quiet. To be the whisper-quiet device most car owners demand, a typical stock muffler must have an intricate, labyrinthine flow path to help slow and cool the hot, vibrating exhaust gas. It contains baffles that cause the exhaust flow to reverse direction and intermix. These are great for reducing noise but are not so great for flow. The twists and turns the exhaust must endure in a stock muffler are restrictions that cause excess backpressure. You can run in a straight line faster than you can run in a tight, fun-house maze, right? The same goes for your exhaust gas.

To produce the most power, an exhaust should have minimal restriction on the exhaust flow. Restriction hampers the burned exhaust gases from exiting your engine, causing some charge dilution with the incoming fresh fuel air mixture. If all the exhaust gas cannot escape from your cylinders, it dilutes the flammable power-producing intake mixture that is trying to come in. The diluted mixture does not burn as well as a pure mixture.

This causes a loss of power. You don't feel so energetic at a packed club with lots of cigarette smoke, sweaty bodies and hot stuffy air right? Neither does your engine.

With greater restriction, backpressure is generated, making the engine work harder to pump the exhaust out of the cylinders. That work could be used to turn the wheels instead.

BACKPRESSURE = TORQUE?
An old hot-rodder's tall tale: Engines need some backpressure to work properly and make torque. That is not true. What engines need is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque.

Low backpressure and high exhaust stream velocity can be achieved by running straight-through free-flowing mufflers and small pipe diameters. The only two exceptions to this are turbocharged engines and engines optimized for large amounts of nitrous oxide. Both of these devices vastly increase the exhaust gas volume and simply need larger pipes to get rid of it all.

Some stock mufflers and exhaust systems have up to 18psi of choking, power-robbing backpressure. In direct contrast, a well-designed, high-performance street exhaust system typically has about 2 to 6 psi of backpressure. For an interesting comparison, an un-muffled straight pipe on a real racecar usually has 1 to 3 psi of backpressure.

To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These mufflers quiet the exhaust by absorbing high-frequency vibrations in heat-resistant packing, usually consisting of stainless-steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers.

They typically have an inner core that is straight-through with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes in it. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either fiberglass wadding (hence the old-school term, Glass Pack) or, in the better mufflers, stainless-steel mesh backed by ceramic fiber to help further absorb the sound.

On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler and the bigger the can, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on backpressure, just noise output. These absorption type mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer had baffles that impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems! The same is for a perforated core absorption muffler, straight through, no baffles, no restriction, and no backpressure.

It is best to avoid straight-through mufflers that have a louvered core. Many old-school glass packs suffer from this design. Some spiffy polished stainless and big tip mufflers on the market also have these. The louvers generate quite a bit of backpressure because they stick into the exhaust stream and create considerable turbulence. Even though these mufflers are a straight-through design, they can have more backpressure than a stock muffler.

MagnaFlow has a line of universal high performance mufflers in many different shapes, diameters and lengths. The muffler and pre-silencer we got from MagnaFlow are made from high-quality polished 304 stainless and feature a perforated core wrapped with stainless mesh and ceramic wool. Note how the perforated core is straight with no obstructions to the flow.

When buying a straight-through muffler, look for one with a perforated core if you are interested in producing more power. A good, properly sized, perforated-core straight-through muffler will add only about 1 to 2 psi of backpressure to your exhaust system. Mufflers like the Walker Ultra Flow, Thermal, A'pexi, Borla, Edelbrock or MagnaFlow are examples of good, low-backpressure mufflers with an absorption design. Many Pre-made exhausts like A'pexi, Tanabe, Greddy, Borla, MagnaFlow, Thermal or HKS also have mufflers of the free-flowing absorption design.

An old-school type performance muffler, which is still very common in speed shops, that has seen better days is the Turbo Muffler. This is a less restrictive version of a stock-like reverse flow muffler. In the old days, these were well flowing mufflers, but now the new-jack perforated core, straight through absorption types, has superseded them, Many old-school domestic shops will try to sell you one of these as a hot set-up, but they should be avoided, just like the louvered core glass-pack.

A disadvantage to the straight-through muffler is that it is often louder than a reverse-flow muffler. Usually a straight-through muffler needs a small sub muffler or resonator to keep the exhaust quiet. A resonator is usually a small, perforated core glass pack placed somewhere in-between the catalytic converter and the main muffler. Like the main muffler, the longer the resonator, the better a sub muffler will be for noise reduction. A Walker Magnum Glass-Pack is a good muffler to use as a resonator. Almost all of the pre-made performance exhausts feature resonators.

Some good performance mufflers are only available with a semi-universal 2.5-inch inner diameter. If you have a smaller engine that requires a 2-inch pipe, it is still OK to use a main muffler with a slightly bigger inside diameter. This larger step up in diameter at the very end of the exhaust system won't hurt performance and sometimes can help it slightly.

When designing your own custom exhaust, it is important to remember to make it as quiet as possible. Loud might be cool to you, but remember that a too loud exhaust is perhaps the number one harassment ticket given to performance enthusiasts by your friendly law enforcement officer. Don't ask how we know this.

TIPS ON TIPS
What about the tip? Big tips do nothing for power but can dress up the back of your car. Some like to install ridiculously large tips on tiny stock mufflers or on stock cars. Take this too far, and you may find pictures of your car featured on Web sites like riceboypage.com or beaterz.com.

If you are on a tight budget, save your money and don't get a big tip until you get the performance exhaust system (and maybe the engine) to go with it. This advice may preserve your dignity. Some big tips feature resonated cores, which quiet the exhaust's note by a few dB. You can spot these with their usually perforated or mesh inner pipes. These big tips are actually functional and the discerning eyes of the world of pipe fashion may actually forgive the use of a resonated tip. Maybe.

On an entirely practical note, remember that cops like big shiny tips too. Nothing tells a cop pull me over and bust me like a big *** tip.

THE EXHAUST PIPE
To save costs, your typical stock exhaust uses small diameter, crush bent pipe. Crush bends are easy to make in mass production. However, crush bends can reduce the flow of a pipe by up to 50 percent. Your typical exhaust system made by the local neighborhood muffler shop is also crush bent. The best exhaust systems, like most Japanese pre-made exhaust systems, come with mandrel bends.

Mandrel bending is done by a special machine that uses a non-crushable insert, or mandrel, that goes into the pipe while bending to prevent it from being crushed. If you are making your own exhaust, you can buy pre-made mandrel bends from MagnaFlow, Burns Stainless, Kinsler or Bassini. The huge speed parts mail order emporium Summit Racing stocks both the right kinds of mufflers and mandrel bends.

It is better to use a smaller diameter mandrel bent pipe than a larger crush bent pipe. Remember that maintaining velocity is just as important as reducing backpressure.

PIPE DIAMETER GUIDELINES
Some basic exhaust pipe diameter guidelines for non-turbo cars are as follows:
1,500cc-2,000cc engines : 2-inch
2,100cc-2,500cc engines : 2.25-inch
2,600cc-3,000cc engines : 2.5-inch
Add half an inch to the pipe diameter to optimize for nitrous oxide use because of the increased exhaust gas volume. Remember this may be too big for optimal operation when you aren't on the bottle. For turbocharged engines, 2.5-inch is the minimum size pipe that you would want to run, even for the smaller engines. For 2,000cc and bigger engines, 3-inch works well, and for bigger engines the biggest (usually 3.5-inch) you can find is appropriate. It is almost impossible to have too big of an exhaust on a turbo car.

BUILDING IT
First you must buy mandrel bends from any of the aforementioned suppliers. The mandrel bends and tubing are made in mild steel, or if you want to get fancy, many companies also make them out of 304 or 409 stainless. Of these choices, 304 is more desirable as it is more corrosion resistant and can be polished to a mirror finish. It is also more expensive. 409 stainless is more rust resistant than aluminized mild steel but it cannot polish and turns brownish purple with age. If you use stainless, be sure you have your muffler shop use a proper stainless welding rod.

Next, select your muffler and pre-silencer. It is usually best on a streetcar to get the longest mufflers that will fit under your car for the quietest exhaust note. If you stick with perforated core stuff, it will not cause any increase in back pressure and no loss in performance. A perforated core tip will also help your exhaust be quieter.

Next, find a local welder, fabricator or muffler shop that is willing to work with these mandrel bends instead of crush bent tubing. Look under the car and figure out how to lay out the exhaust system using cut sections of the mandrel bends. Cut sections of the bends and piece them together, tack welding them first until the position is finalized, then once the final configuration is made, seam weld the joints using a MIG, or preferably TIG welder using the proper welding rod. If you can help it, do not use a gas or unshielded arc electric welder.

MagnaFlow makes pre mandrel bent sections of tubing out of 304 stainless that can be cut up to make your exhaust system.

To make a real sano all-stainless system, MagnaFlow also sells stainless exhaust hangers.

Once you have the basic shape laid out, you will need to attach hangers and flanges. Most good muffler shops stock these. If at all possible, use the stock exhaust hanger locations; this will minimize the vibration transmitted into the car.

Next, you will want to degrease the new exhaust and paint with heat-resistant paint, like VHT or Thermo-Tec if the system is aluminized or bare steel. 304 stainless can be left bare or taken to a local plating shop and polished. 409 stainless can be left bare, but can't be polished.

If you want to get fancy, you can box your system out and send it out to be ceramic or thermal barrier coated by Swain Technologies, Jet Hot or many other companies. Most large urban centers have coating shops that can do this. These extra steps are worth it when it comes to having a sano and long-lasting finished product.

Finally, relax and enjoy the power. With careful fabrication, you can built a system as good as, if not better than what you can buy pre-made. This sort of system can be built using the resources available in just about any town.

TO CAT OR NOT TO CAT
Whatever you do, do not remove or gut out the catalytic converter on your street machine. The monolithic, straight-through design of modern three-way catalytic converters is usually quite free flowing on most modern imports, producing at the most, only a pound or two of extra backpressure. A gutted cat can actually hurt power as the empty box can cause flow stagnation, which effectively shortens the length of the moving gas column in the exhaust pipe. The empty box can also reduce important flow velocity. This can be felt as loss in bottom-end power.

Because of these factors, it is not unusual for cars to actually gain power with the addition of a cat. If every last bit of power must be extracted, as in real, off-the-street sanctioned racing, then the cat can be removed and replaced with a length of pipe the same diameter of the rest of the exhaust system, not simply gutted to a power robbing shell. A full race turbo or nitrous oxide system can benefit from removing the cat when racing levels of boost or nitrous are being run. Boost or nitrous flow levels you would run on the street on pump gas are not enough to warrant cat removal for performance gain.

If you need to change your factory cat for a larger, high-flowing one, Random Technology and MagnaFlow make replacement cats with 3-inch or even larger inlets and outlets.

All done! Our new system is nicer than just about any on the market and flows well enough for our 400-hp turbo engine. It is also reasonably quiet and is low profile enough not to scream "give me a ticket please." Note the big hole of the tip extends through the whole exhaust system; no rice-boy stuff, all business and all performance. When we paint the car, we will send the system to the local polisher to shine it up.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:36 PM

What is a MIL(aka. Check Engine Light) and how do I RESET it?

MIL QUICK Summary

Let me explain some things about how the OBD-II(On Board Diagnostic) System works on our car.

MIL - Malfunction Indicator Lamp(aka CEL - Check Engine Light)
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code

1) There are different "conditions" and "modes" that trigger a MIL to come on. Basically, if a problem is detected ONCE the 1st Trip DTC is stored. If the SAME malfuction is detected TWICE the 2nd Trip DTC is stored AND the MIL comes on. If the vehicle is driven 3-times with NO malfunction the MIL will turn off. If another happens the counter is reset.

2) Most DTC and "freeze frame"(sensor values/operating conditions when the DTC was logged) are stored until the vehicle is driven 40-trips. Therefore, your dealer will know what triggered the DTC(ex. 100+% WOT on a 2K2). A trip is not necessarily one start/stop of the engine. Your ECU must see the same A, B , C type "driving pattern" in which the ECU detected the malfunction.

3) For Misfire and Fuel Injection Systems the DTC and freeze frame are stored for 80-trips withOUT the same malfunction recurring.

4) Some scan tools such as the one I bought from http://www.obd-2.com/ will clear the DTC and turn off the MIL. Also, either a Scan Tool OR unplugging the POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE(easier) battery terminal for APPROXIMATELY 24hrs.(sometimes LESS) will erase:
  1. DTC
  2. 1st Trip DTC
  3. Freeze Frame Data
  4. SRT(System Readiness Test) codes(Used for Emission Testing)
  5. Test Values
  6. More
Old 03-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Will mods void my warranty?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Warranty DENIAL due to MODS!
============================
Explanation of what you can do.

http://www.sema.org/warranty/
The site was redesigned, the new URL is:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253
Old 04-04-2002, 09:53 PM

Reasons For A Catalytic Converter Failure

http://www.car-sound.com/05converter/05reason.htm
Old 05-02-2002, 09:59 AM

The Definitive Variable Intake (VIAS) power loss thread

Credit: Max_Gator

How to diagnose:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=116808
Old 05-28-2002, 04:24 PM

dictionary of terms/slang used on the forum

A list of terms that constantly pop up in every thread which should be a help to new members .....

1st gen -- 1st generation maxima (1981-1984)
2nd gen -- 2nd generation maxima (1985-1988)
3rd gen -- 3rd generation maxima (1989-1994)
4th gen -- 4th generation maxima (1995-1999)
5th gen -- 5th generation maxima (2000-2003)

60' -- time at 60 foot mark at a drag strip

ABS -- anti-lock breaking system

AC -- air conditioning

AE -- 20th anniversary edition maxima (only available in 2001)

AFR -- air to fuel ratio

AT -- automatic transmission

ATF -- automatic transmission fluid

Autotragic -- slang for automatic transmission

Automagic -- slang for automatic transmission

Burnout -- to purposely spin the tires while keeping the car standing still

BTW -- by the way

CAI -- cold air intake

Cat-back -- entire exhaust upgrade from the catalytic converter, back

CEL -- check engine light

CF -- carbon fiber

DBM -- Danial B. Martin

Double clutching -- to "blip" the throttle when shifting gears as to engage a gear at optimal RPMs

DYNO -- dynomometer (measures torque and horsepower)

ECU -- electronic control unit

EGT -- exhaust gas temperature

E-break -- emergency break

FAQ -- frequently asked questions

FPR -- fuel pressure regulator

F/S -- for sale

FSTB -- front strut tower brace

FYI -- for your information

GB -- group buy

GD -- group deal

GLE -- maxima GLE

GXE -- maxima GXE

H&R -- spring manufacturer

HID -- high intensity discharge

HLSD -- helical limited slip differential

HP -- horsepower

IBTL -- in before the lock

IBTM -- in before the move

IMO -- in my opionion

Jambo -- ex-maxima.org administrator (Jamie)

Jamie -- ex-maxima.org administrator (Jambo)

JDM– Japanese Domestic Market

K&N -- air filter brand

KM -- kilometer

LSD -- limited slip differential

MAF -- mass air flow sensor

MOD -- modify/modification

MPG -- miles per gallon

MPH -- miles per hour

MT -- manual transmission

N/A -- naturally aspirated which stands for a car without nitrous, supercharger, or turbocharger. A car with bolt-ons (i.e. exhaust, intake, computer upgrade, engine internal rebuild) is N/A... but once it gets nitrous, SC, or TC, it is not longer N/A. It will then be referred to as a forced fed car (force induction). courtesy Y2KevSE

NE -- northeast

NISMO -- Nissan Motorsports

NOS -- Nitrous Oxide Systems (brand name)

OEM -- original equipment manufacturer

OT -- off topic

OSCAI -- Ooglie (Ugly) Stock Cold Air Intake (poorman's CAI)

PIA -- pain in the a$$

PIAA -- company that sells bulbs

Plugs -- spark plugs

PM -- private message

POS -- piece of ****

PR -- Place Racing

PSI -- pounds per square inch (measurement of pressure)

RPM -- revolutions per minute

Red/Clears -- 4th gen tail lights with the amber piece cleared out

RICE -- any modification done to a car that someone else feels is inappropriate/ unecessary/ fugly/cheap/ tacky/ gauche/irrelevant/trifflin/etc etc etc

RSB -- rear sway bar

RSTB -- rear strut tower brace

R/T -- reaction time

SC - supercharger

SE -- maxima SE

SE-L -- maxima SE-Limited (only available in 1999)

SES -- service engine soon

Shaving -- removing emblems and badges from the car

Sig -- signature at bottom of posts

Stock -- no modifications

STS -- short throw shifter

Tach -- tachometer (shows RPMs)

TB -- throttle body

TC – Traction control/torque converter

TE -- titanium edition maxima(only available in 2003)

Torque Breaking -- stepping on foot break while revving the engine as to get a better launch in an automatic transmission

TQ -- torque

TSB -- technical service bulletin

UDP -- underdrive pully

VB -- valve body

VE -- a nissan engine
VG -- a nissan engine

VI -- variable intake

VLSD -- viscious limited slip differential

VTC – Variable Timing Control

VQ -- a nissan engine

WOT -- wide open throttle

WTB -- want to buy

WTF -- what the f*ck

EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature

good luck and happy modding
Old 06-02-2002, 11:14 AM

The Definitive Aftermarket Brakes Thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=92071

Credit: iwannabmw and other contributors

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 10-16-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:13 PM

Tire & Rim Association Contour (Rim Width) Charts

Look here for acceptable rim widths for tires ranging from 14" to 20" in diameter. This link also includes the correct method for measuring rim width:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dsuthar/tra/

Thanks for hosting this, Dixit!

Credit: ssiperko
Old 06-03-2002, 09:51 PM

Will a K&N filter damage my MAF sensor?

No. A properly oiled K&N filter will not contaminate a mass air sensor. However, if you over oil your filter it is possible for oil to drip off the filter and contaminate the sensor. In the last few years certain vehicles have had design problems with the mass air sensors. Some local dealers have attempted to blame the problem on a K&N filter. However, of all the sensors K&N has sent off to be tested, they have yet to find one that failed due to oil contamination. The defect in all cases was within the mass air sensor unit. If oil were to contaminate the sensor’s “hot wire”, the wire itself could be cleaned, however if there were a problem with internal circuitry the sensor would have to be replaced.

Source: http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#6
Old 06-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Gates belt sizes for V2 supercharger

3.60 to 3.33 - K060710
3.25 to 3.125 - K060705
3.00 to 2.87 - K060703 (00 would be a better fit, but Gates doesn't make that size)
Old 06-09-2002, 11:13 AM

I can't find my Owner Manual. What do I do?

Go here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/

Click on the Owner Manuals button in the navigation bar on the left side of the page and follow the bouncing ball.

You'll need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to read the Owner Manuals. If you don't have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here for free:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
Old 06-11-2002, 08:00 AM

Wheel Tech Guide: everything you need to know before you buy

just found this article at the sport compact car website

Wheel Tech Guide
Everything You Need to Know Before You Buy
By Dan Barnes
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ar...ide_0502.shtml

Photographers often say that wheels are a car's jewelry. Perhaps more than anything else, they immediately show the tastes and character of the owner who put them on. It's obvious whether the driver is a poser who just wants flash so people look, or someone who is a little more serious about his or her car. Maybe the wheels are retro, like Panasports, maybe the guy is a racer on a budget and has factory alloys he bought at a junkyard wrapped in competition rubber, or maybe he had the knowledge and money to step up to the latest forged exotica. In any case, wheels are important enough that they must be chosen carefully. More than a few otherwise nice cars have been passed over for magazine features because they had the wrong wheels. The accompanying buyer's guide should help you sort out style and weight of specific wheels you want for your car. This article is to help you understand what other questions you should ask to make sure that the beautiful alloy you bolt onto your car doesn't cause pain down the road.

Rim Markings
Wheels are made with markings, usually on the rim, the meanings of some of which are fairly obvious, some less so. Consider a wheel marked "15x7J ET38." We should all know that 15 is the diameter, in inches, of the surface the tire's bead rests on, while 7 is the width, or the distance between the flanges that support the bead as air pressure forces it outward along the axis of the spindle. The J is not obvious, but is simple once you know: It simply refers to the shape of that flange, easier to understand if you imagine a steel wheel on which the lip is rolled over like a J. "ET" may or may not be present. It is an abbreviation of einpress tief, German that translates literally as "pushed in depth," or offset. The 38 is the offset measured in mm.

Bolt Pattern
That is only a small part of what you need to know about a wheel, however. Most obvious is the bolt pattern. Watercooled Volkswagen wheel bolts or studs are located on a circle of 100mm diameter, with either four or five holes, a standard shared by many other cars. Porsches have four or five holes on a 130mm circle. The Italians do it their way, with Alfa going from four on 4 1/2 in. to four on 98mm in the early 1970s, just close enough to everyone else to cause real problems for someone who doesn't know it's unique. Perhaps the change was a result of coming under the ownership of Fiat, which also used 98mm bolt circles.

Centering
The other element that affects directly whether a wheel can be bolted onto a car is hubcentricity. Long ago, in the deep mists of time, wheels were located by the taper of the lug nuts or bolts. This could lead to all sorts of problems, but they can be summarized by saying centering was liable to be less than perfect, and the sheer stress on wheel bolts or studs could be enormous. I am not aware of any passenger car wheels now made that are not hubcentric. Hubcentric wheels have a hole at their center that fits closely over a round feature on the hub, serving to center the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the vertical weight of the vehicle. The wheel bolts or studs then serve simply to hold the wheel onto the hub, and are loaded only in tension, where they are strong. If the studs were required to absorb vertical forces, they would be loaded in single shear, the weakest arrangement for any fastener. Factory wheels are all machined to fit their specific application exactly, and some of the better aftermarket wheels are, too. However, many aftermarket wheels rely on centering rings. This means that, instead of machining wheels specifically for each O.E. centering hole diameter, the wheel manufacturer machines all wheels to one size, and then uses inserts to give a centering surface of the diameter required for each application. This is obviously easier to do, and makes inventorying a complete wheel line much simpler and less costly. If you buy wheels that use centering rings, be sure the rings fit snugly in the wheels. If they are loose enough to fall out, how accurately can they be locating your wheel? Some tire shops automatically remove centering rings to balance a wheel, just to make sure there is no slop to make their balancing inaccurate.

The fact that a wheel physically bolts onto a car doesn't necessarily mean it "fits." The centering surface could be too large, in which case there essentially is no centering. Just as importantly, the offset could be wrong.

Offset
Offset is the location of the flat mounting surface of a wheel relative to the wheel's centerline. Negative offset means the mounting surface is toward the center of the car, positive offset means it is toward the outside of the car, or the wheel is "pulled in" toward the center. Offset affects many things other than just whether the wheel has the appearance of "sticking out" past the fender. The wrong offset can cause rubbing problems when the suspension is compressed or the wheel is turned. Offset affects the steering geometry's scrub radius, possibly leading to problems with torque steer or self-centering characteristics. Offset also affects the suspension's motion ratio, which directly determines the effective spring and damper rates. Potentially, in a very heavily loaded vehicle, or with extreme changes in offsets, wheel bearing life can be affected, but this is more often talked about by truck people than by small car enthusiasts. It is very, very important that the proper offset wheels be used.

While not directly a matter of offset, brake caliper clearance is a related issue. If you have, or plan to have big brakes on your car, be sure that your wheels, or the wheels you are going to use, will fit over the calipers. Spacers are available to solve the problem if they don't, but it is best to get a wheel with enough dish to meet your offset specs and still fit your brakes. Consulting the wheel and brake manufacturers ahead of time is wise. Many aftermarket brake companies even have templates of their brakes available that you can easily check against any wheel.

Mounting
Wheel mounting surfaces can vary in thickness, which means that longer or shorter wheel studs or bolts may be required. Fortunately, those items are standard parts and are available in a variety of lengths to fit most cars. The main concern is that there is adequate engagement between the lug nuts and studs, or wheel bolts and the hub. If there is not, the fasteners could seem tight, and even appear to torque down properly, but cause problems down the line. Inadequate engagement could lead to threads stretching or stripping, loosening, and the wheel coming off. We consulted a variety of sources for a recommendation on how much thread engagement is enough. Across the board, there was agreement that it's hard to have too much, but recommendations for a minimum varied. H&R Special Springs said that with their Trak+ wheel spacers (see sidebar) they follow a German standard requiring 6.4 threads to be engaged on 1.5mm pitch steel fasteners, for a total of 9.6mm. Robert Wood, of Wheel Enhancement, said he likes to see at least one diameter of engagement. For example, a 12mm-diameter fastener would have 12mm of threads engaged. The Southern California Timing Association, which governs the racing at Bonneville, requires at least 5/8 in. of thread engagement. It also prohibits the use of closed-end lug nuts, presumably to allow measurement, but also encouraging full engagement. If you have a center cap covering the lug nuts, they'll clear a stud that protrudes from the nut by one thread. It's likely that if you compete, your sanctioning body's rulebook will have something in it about wheel fasteners.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:01 AM

Re: Wheel Tech Guide: everything you need to know before you buy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thicknes
[B]just found this article at the sport compact car website

Wheel Tech Guide
By Dan Barnes

Part II

Tire Sizing
We can't talk about wheel fitment without talking about tires, since wheels are mostly just there to connect the tire to the suspension. Overall tire diameter affects speedometer accuracy, as well as acceleration, braking, and suspension geometry. If tires are too tall, they may rub fenders. Overall diameter, if not available from a tire's manufacturer, can be calculated from the sizing information by the following formula:

Diameter (in.) equals
section width (mm) X aspect ratio X 2 + wheel diameter
divided by 25.4 divided by 100

It is best to keep this within a few percent of the original tire's diameter. Don't obsess over this number however, as a tire may wear through 1/4 in. of tread in its lifetime, reducing overall diameter by 1/2 in., roughly 2 percent on a 25-in.-diameter tire. As well, tire manufacturers differ, and two tires of the same listed size may not actually be exactly the same size. Section width leads to many fit problems, when people choose a tire that is too wide. Tires that fill a car's wheelwells almost always look better. Certainly, wider tires make more grip in theory, and usually in practice as well. A wider tire has a shorter contact patch, less prone to distortion, and should operate at a lower slip angle for a given side load, a characteristic also influenced, perhaps to an even greater degree, by sidewall stiffness. A wider tire has more material to absorb the heat of cornering, and more surface area to carry the loads, so it may run cooler when driven hard. Wider tires also have greater rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag, so underpowered cars may want to strike a balance with slightly less than monster rubber on a fast track. Wider tires hydroplane easier with water on the road. If your suspension doesn't control camber adequately under cornering loads, the extra width may be wasted as the high edge does little work. Again, different tires are manufactured with different shapes. Some have very square shoulders, some are more rounded, so one tire may fit fine while another tire of the same nominal size may rub. There are different criteria for choosing the width of wheel/tire combinations. One expert we asked says he likes to see wheel width between 85 and 90 percent of section width, while another tells us he likes the section width to be about 1/2 in. wider than the wheel width. Everybody seems to agree that having the flange of the wheel extend past the sidewall is bad, both for tire performance, and because that means the wheel hits a curb before the tire.

• There are no industry-wide standards for aftermarket wheel load rating, but you should definately follow manufacturers' recommendations.
Load Rating
While there are DOT standards for wheels that apply to the original automobile manufacturers, and each manufacturer has its own standards in addition, there are none for the aftermarket. There are some industry norms, and the better aftermarket wheel manufacturers follow them, or have some variation they prefer. Kinesis, for example, puts its wheels through fatigue cycle tests twice, rather than just once.

In other countries, notably Germany and Japan, the aftermarket is tightly regulated by their governments. The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) would like to prevent that situation in the United States, so its Wheel Industry Council (WIC) has undertaken to create a set of standards for the aftermarket wheel industry. Peter Stacey, President of Kinesis Motorsport Corp., a member of WIC, took a few minutes to tell us about the Council's efforts. The WIC's goal is to be able to educate consumers and industry members about wheel safety and quality. It is, in a sense, aimed at effective self-policing of the industry. Low quality products, it is believed, reflect poorly not just on their own manufacturer, but on the entire industry. By publishing standards and following them, the WIC hopes to protect the wheel marketplace from burdensome governmental regulation, as well as from the negative effects of wheels with which quality, and conceivably safety, are sacrificed for price. The WIC is coordinating its efforts with the Society of Automotive Engineers Aftermarket Systems Group and with regulatory agencies in other countries to develop a standard that will have wide acceptance and foster international marketing of quality products. A standard has been drafted by the WIC, but refining and approving it is a long process, and remains a work in progress. More information on the WIC can be found at www.sema.org.

How to Decide
We came up with the following process for choosing wheels and have run it past several experts who said it was basically sound. First, realize that lighter is much, much better. Choose the smallest wheel diameter that will fit over the brakes you plan to eventually use on your car. Don't forget to account for future upgrades, if any are planned. If your car is very light, and you plan to keep small brakes, this may lead you to 13-in. sizes. While these are very light, the handling benefits of low profile tires are real, so you may choose to keep your wheel diameter larger, just to use a 50- or 55-series tire. Second, look at tire availability. What tires are the right size for your car and meet your needs for performance, cost, noise, wear, etc? Once you have made these two choices, look for the wheel that will do the best job of connecting the tire to your car, and that looks right for your car. The path of wisdom here seems to be that of conservatism. Cars vary slightly, especially older vehicles (MKI Volkswagen fanatics, this means you) that were built to looser tolerances, and what just barely works for one may not quite work for another.

What Fits Your Car
When you need more information, don't call us. Unfortunately, we don't have a master chart of what size tires fit on each car, adjusted by whether it's lowered 1 1/2 in. or 2 in. If those questions are answered in Tech Letters, you will always find that the editor who wrote the response called either the Tire Rack or Discount Tire and asked one of their sales associates. If you do the same, or consult your local tire and wheel retailer, you'll get your answer much sooner, and can follow it up with more questions immediately. These companies have databases based on their experience fitting wheels and tires on thousands of cars. We have found that their recommendations are conservative, and have never heard of anyone who followed them having to roll a fender or otherwise compromise a vehicle.

The Tire Rack
771 West Chippewa Ave.
South Bend, IN 46614
(888) 541-1777
(219) 287-2345
Fax: (219)236-7707
www.tirerack.com Discount Tire Direct
7333 E. Helm Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(800) 483-7555
(480) 443-5621
Fax: (480) 483-9230
www.discounttiredirect.com

Lightweight Wheels
Over the last few years, there have been more companies competing for performance enthusiasts' dollars with lightweight forged wheels. This is a good thing. Lighter wheels are easier for the suspension to control, improving ride and handling, and are easier to accelerate and decelerate. Volkswagen was quicker than others to catch on to this, and twenty years ago, waterpumpers were among the first affordable vehicles to come with lightweight alloy wheels from the factory. As cars have gotten better and more expensive, the benefits to performance and appearance have made the alloy wheel option necessary for an OEM to compete successfully in nearly any segment.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: Wheel Tech Guide: everything you need to know before you buy

[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by thicknes

Wheel Tech Guide
By Dan Barnes

Part III
Archeology

Steel disc wheels, still found on the majority of cars sold, are inexpensive, durable, heavy and flexible. Why did hubcaps fly off cars in old movies (and still do, when old cars are put around a corner hard)? Simple: The wheels flexed. Steel disc wheels were a vast improvement over the wire wheels that preceded them, but today they should be considered unacceptable for any performance use other than an El Camino set up for drag racing.

"Mag" wheels came into use first in the '50s, as European sports car builders began applying aircraft technology to the race track. "Mag" is short for magnesium, and should properly be reserved for wheels actually made from the stuff, such as the Halibrands found on GT40s and Cobras, or the Abarth Cromodoras that rest against the wall in my office. Though magnesium is a lighter metal, most of these wheels represent ancient technology, and are far heavier than modern forged aluminum wheels of the same size.

Today
Almost all modern performance wheels are made from aluminum by one of two processes: casting and forging. Casting is done by pouring molten metal into a mold shaped more or less like what the final object will look like, and letting it cool. Forging is done by heating a chunk of metal just enough to soften it slightly, then slamming it with hundreds of tons of force, squeezing it into the desired shape. It turns out that forged wheels are manufactured in multiple steps. If it seems unlikely that a solid chunk of metal could be mashed into a finished wheel, your intuition is correct. Instead, it is forged as a center with a donut of metal around the outside, which is then split and rolled outward to form the rim halves, essentially forging the metal again. Obviously, one process is a lot easier to do than the other. BBS, for some of its wheels, casts the center and donut, then rolls the rim out like a forged wheel. BBS calls this simply the "rim rolling process."

Metallurgy 101
We usually think of metal as a simple solid material, without any internal structure, like putty. In reality, it's a jumble of crystals, all grown into each other. Usually, the individual crystals are small enough that we don't see them, but other times we do. If you can find a big, cast bronze door handle, look at the back of it, where thousands of hands polish it smooth, and etch it with their acids. You will probably see a splotchy pattern, where each different shaded region is a different crystal, in a pattern resembling frost on a window. The process of formation is much the same. The grain size in a wheel is much, much finer than that.

Casting
The quality of cast wheels varies dramatically, depending on process, and sometimes on variables beyond the control of the manufacturer, such as ambient temperature or even humidity. In general, pressure casting, in which the metal is pumped into the mold, is better than just pouring it in. Castings tend to be porous -- some carburetors actually leaked fuel through the metal, with no crack or visible flaw present. Porosity is bad, because it means there are places where the metal isn't in direct contact with more metal on all sides. Voids, which tend to form in the spaces between crystals (a chicken and egg situation), are where cracks begin. Larger, chunky grains may beget larger voids, and cracks along crystal boundaries will have farther to travel. All these points mean that cast wheels must contain more metal to achieve an acceptable strength, and are thus heavier. Still, cast wheels can be made to a high standard with attention to quality processes. The vast majority of alloy wheels are cast, and provide many years of good service.

Forging
Forged wheels take advantage of what happens when metal is cold worked. Cold working doesn't necessarily mean you'd want to touch the materials while they're in process, it means the procedures are done at a temperature below the point where the metal starts to melt and regrow a new crystal structure. Just as the spaces between a metal's crystals may hold flaws, the crystals themselves are full of imperfections called discontinuities. They may take a variety of forms, but discontinuities all share one important quality. By traveling through the crystal lattice of the individual grains, they allow the metal to change shape without fracturing like a diamond. When a load is applied to a metal object, it deforms slightly. When the load is removed, it regains its original shape. This happens because discontinuities move a little, and move back. If the load is high enough, the discontinuities will move until they reach the edge of their crystal, or until they run into another discontinuity.

Generally, discontinuities move one atom at a time, and their movement is guided by the regular structure of the crystal. If a discontinuity in the structure runs into another, the regularity is interrupted, and they may become tangled, and can't return to their starting position. This has two effects. 1) When the load is removed from the metal, it will not return to its original shape. 2) The metal is more resistant to deformation in the future, because there are fewer discontinuities available to move around. This description of the process is a single case of what is actually happening by the billions.

What we can measure is the average of them all. The idea behind forging is to get, on average, the right number of discontinuities tangled around each other, with crystals oriented in the right direction, so that the metal is very strong and resistant to further deformation. This is a delicate balance, because too much cold working makes the metal brittle, so that it fractures instead of absorbing loads. You can see how this works for yourself: Bend a paper clip back and forth many times until it breaks. It begins soft, then gets stiffer, before finally fracturing.

Forging also changes the shape and alignment of the crystal structure. When molten metal solidifies, its grain structure is non-directional, amorphous, grains in the sense of "grains" of sand. As metal is forged, these grains are stretched in the direction of deformation, making them more like the "grain" of wood. The metal is formed so the grain goes in the directions where strength is needed most. Think of particle board versus real wood. One is cheap, heavy, and easily formed into a variety of shapes. The other is strong and light. The forging process, because of the vast pressures involved, also compacts the metal, eliminating porosity and the voids that can be a source of cracks or corrosion. The result is that less metal is required to achieve a given strength, meaning lighter, stronger wheels can be made.

Billet
Billets, raw blocks of metal as it is purchased from the manufacturer, are generally significantly cold-worked in manufacture. However, the cold working is done in one direction only, as the material is rolled or extruded into long bars in a continuous process. This means the grain of the metal has only one orientation. A billet wheel is like cutting a part out of an ordinary piece of lumber, whereas a forged wheel is like growing a piece of wood to exactly the shape you want.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Wheel Tech Guide: everything you need to know before you buy

Wheel Tech Guide
By Dan Barnes

Part IV

Composite vs. One-Piece Wheels
Three-piece, or composite, wheels came into vogue in the 1970s, and reached their peak of stylishness for street use in the 1980s. In the beginning, they provided several benefits. At the time, forging a one-piece wheel was not economical. Porsche's factory forged Fuchs alloys, especially in the wider sizes, were and are today considered very special, expensive items. One-piece centers could be forged, however, and bolted to spun aluminum rims, giving a strong, lightweight wheel. Additional benefits included flexibility of fitment and repairability. Rims could be built for nearly any width or offset, so if you needed just 40 or 50, or maybe only eight, for your racing program, tooling up was a piece of cake, and the costs to be amortized quite reasonable. A damaged rim could be replaced separately, making it cheaper to keep going in the rough world of racing. A three-piece wheel's advantages of exact fitment and repairability remain today, as ever, and are significant. Most high-end composite wheel manufacturers deal in low enough volumes that custom sizes and offsets are a regular part of their business. Unfortunately, manufacturing a composite wheel is extremely labor intensive. A human must assemble the piecesÑhumans are slow, and cost a lot more than machines. A one-piece forged wheel is comparatively more expensive to tool up for. The process is faster, though, so these extra costs can be spread out over a larger number of wheels. In a one-piece forging, all the material is structural. There are no bolts, no flanges to be bolted together, and no extra material for the bolts to bite into, so a one-piece wheel may be a pound or two lighter than an equivalent three-piece wheel.

Wheel Repair
As pointed out above, composite wheels are relatively simple to repair. They are simply disassembled, and the bent part can be replaced with a new, straight one. The other parts should be attended to as well, to whatever extent is required to bring them to as-new condition. Repairing any other type of wheel is, in most cases, a rather more delicate art. In fact, we couldn't get any of the companies that do it to talk in detail about their processes. Evidently, the proper techniques are difficult to perfect, and thus become closely guarded secrets once learned. Several choices are available for wheel straightening. We interviewed the proprietors of Wheel Enhancement, one of the most reputable wheel specialists in the country, and learned more than we knew to ask. An ec contributor has also had very good luck with Tru Wheel in the past.

Tru Wheel
7312 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91605
(800) FIX-A-RIM
(818) 765-5577 Wheel Collision Center
7286 Penn Dr.
Bath, PA 18014
(800) 292-RIMS
(610) 837-8792
Fax: (610) 837-8967
Old 06-18-2002, 09:01 AM

What do I do if I think my MAF sensor failed?

If you have any of the following symptoms:

1) Engine rough running
2) Engine surging
3) Low engine power (engine will not rev above 2400 rpm)

you may have a blown MAF sensor.

Before you take your vehicle to your dealer for warranty repairs, remove any aftermarket parts you may have installed in your air intake system. If you have an oiled filter in your stock airbox, purchase a genuine Nissan OEM filter and keep it in the trunk of your car. Replace your oiled filter with the OEM filter as soon as you suspect that your MAF sensor may have failed.

If you have an aftermarket intake installed, carry your stock airbox with an OEM air filter installed in it in the trunk of your car, along with the airbox mounting hardware and the tools necessary to reinstall it. Replace your aftermarket intake with the stock airbox as soon as you suspect that your MAF sensor may have failed.

If you have a 2K/2K1 Maxima, take a copy of the MAF sensor failure TSB with you to the dealership. The TSB is located on page 2 of the Technical Support Bulletins sticky thread. It's called "2000-2001 MAF TSB".

There has been some discussion of what to do if you've installed an aftermarket intake that required you to cut a hole in your fender. No one has yet come up with a satisfactory way to explain this to your dealer.

There has also been some discussion of whether it's necessary to remove an OSCAI. While it appears unlikely that a dealer would void your warranty for an OSCAI, it might be best to remove that as well.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:52 AM

What tire sizes besides 225/50R17 can I safely run on my OEM rims?

The following tire sizes have been tested and found to fit and function properly on the OEM 17" x 7.0" rims:

225/45R17: This tire size is in spec on 7.0"-wide rims. It produces a speedometer error of 3.4%. This error slightly exceeds the recommended maximum speedometer error of 3.0%, but is close enough to be considered acceptable. Load ratings for this tire will normally be less than that of the 225/50R17 (load rating 93). Be certain that the tire you select has a load rating of 91 (1,356 pounds) or higher. This tire has a lower profile than the 225/50R17 and will therefore produce a less compliant ride and a wider fender gap than the 225/50R17.

235/50R17: This tire size is in spec on 7.0"-wide rims. It produces a speedometer error of 1.5%, well within the recommended maximum speedometer error of 3.0%. Load ratings for this tire will normally exceed that of the 225/50R17 (load rating 93) and should not be a factor in selecting tires of this size. This tire has a higher profile than the 225/50R17 and will therefore produce a more compliant ride and less fender gap than the 225/50R17. (Credit: exunaja.)

A number of org members run 235/45R17 and 245/45R17 tires on their OEM rims. Those who run these tires generally do so because of the much wider selection of high-performance tires available in these sizes. Unfortunately, no tire manufacturer will authorize the use of these tire sizes on 7.0"-wide rims. To date, however, no incidences of tire failure have been reported as a result of running these sizes on the OEM rims.

235/45R17: This tire size is NOT in spec on 7.0"-wide rims. (The minimum acceptable rim width for this tire size is 7.5".) It produces a speedometer error of 2.1%, well within the recommended maximum speedometer error of 3.0%. Load ratings for this tire will normally equal or exceed that of the 225/50R17 (load rating 93) and should not be a factor in selecting tires of this size. Watch for abnormal wear characteristics if you select a tire in this size.

245/45R17: This tire size is NOT in spec on 7.0"-wide rims. (The minimum acceptable rim width for this tire size is 7.5".) It produces a negligible speedometer error of 0.7%. Load ratings for this tire will normally exceed that of the 225/50R17 and should not be a factor in selecting tires of this size. Watch for abnormal wear characteristics if you select a tire in this size.

Running a tire with a minimum acceptable rim width greater than 7.5" and/or a load rating of less than 91 (1,356 pounds) is definitely unsafe and should be avoided.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:25 PM

5th Gen Tire Comparison, 17" tires

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=134359

Credit: 02MaximizedVQ and other contributors
Old 07-20-2002, 03:13 PM

Jack points for the 5th gen

I have the 2k1 ESM....and these are the Jack points that nissan recommends for the Maxima....enjoy

Old 07-21-2002, 07:27 AM

The 2001 Nissan/Infinit Electronic Service Manual

here is a breakdown of what the ESM disk that I got from Schiff Inc. on ebay covers

the 2001 Infiniti/Nissan Electronic Service Manual covers

2001 Nissan Maxima

MA--Maintenace
EM--Engine Mechanical
LC--Engine lubrication and cooling systems
EC--engine control system
FE--accelerator control, fuel and exhaust systems
CL--clutch
MT--manual transaxle
AT--automatic transaxle
AX--front and rear axle
SU--front and rear suspension
BR--brake system
ST--steering system
RS--restraint system
BT--body and trim
HA--heater and air conditioning
SC--starting and charging system
EL--electrical system
IDX-- alphabetical system

2001 nissan sentrahas the same sections as the maxima

2001 nissan altima has the same sections as the maxima
and instead of section AX and SU there is FA--Front axle and front suspension; RA-- rear axle and rear suspension

2001 nissan xterra has the same sections as the maxima and includes PD--propeller shaft and differential carrier; TF--Transfer

2001 nissan pathfinder has the 2 extra sections like xterra and the sections from the maxima

nissan frontier has the 2 extra sections like xterra and the sections from the maxima

infiniti QX4 has the 2 extra sections like the xterra and the sections from the maxima in addition to the electrical information for the navigation system

infiniti I30 has the same sections as the maxima

infiniti Q45 has the same sections as the maxima instead of section AX and SU there are: section PD--propeller shaft and differntial carrier; FA--Front axle adn front suspension; RA-- rear axle and rear suspension

infiniti G20 has the same sections as the maxima

if you want to purchase the disk clicky here
Old 09-15-2002, 02:49 PM

Use of steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit on a 2k2/2k3.

This question has been asked quite a few times, so I am posting the answer here:

"How do I make the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket headunit on a 2k2 or 2k3?"

This is a two step process. First you have to obtain the PAC SWI-X adapter from Crutchfield or some other mobile audio dealer. This will allow you to utilize the radio functions on the steering wheel.
Secondly, to regain use of the trip computer (the one with temp, DTE, MPG, etc.) you have to first locate the small wiring harness you removed from the stock deck, but diudn't use in the install of your aftermarket deck. This is a small harness with 4-5 wires in it. One of these wires is brown with a white stripe/marking. This wire must be cut from the harness, the stripped and grounded. I recommend grounding it to the large metal peice below the vents (you can use a small screw or electrical tape), or any other grounding site. This will now give you full use of all steering wheel controls.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:28 AM

Aftermarket FPR (fuel pressure regulator)

FPR (fuel pressure regulator) UPGRADE

We have 1 stock FPR, on the return line, replace this one.

(The regulator on the fuel pump side is a "pulse" regulator/dampner; all it does is stop fuel spikes; leave it alone.)

SARD makes a nice universal adjustable aftermarket FPR that works. It will mount perfectly where in one of your stock airbox bolt holes (open near engine if you have an aftermarket air intake). Paxton also makes an FPR that works.

SARD FPR ($130). You will also need an off-fittment kit ($15) no matter which FPR you get. Contact sx7r on the .org for the SARD &/or the off-fittments.

The SARD has a FP gauge port* (with an allen plug in it), but it is 1/8 BSPT hole and most gauges are 1/8 NPT. Order an adaptor piece from Summit, part number 2269 ($10), and which ever FP gauge you want. Go with one that goes past 100psi; they can be purchased for less than $50.

2nd Gauge Option*: The SARD guage port will NOT be used in this setup. A t-fitting (Summit part# SUM-G1710 @ $5.99), inserted anywhere in the fuel rail, with any standard pressure gauge (<$50). Most shops will have these t-fittings and guauges available. You will cut the fuel rail for this installation, and may use extra hose.

SARD install: You will need to cut the stock rail and add fuel line, for two reasons... one the stock is mounted to the fuel rail and the SARD will not mount in the same position, and two, the required use of the offfittings requires fuel line manipulation. But, this is not a complicated install for any basic mechanic, just a tight area to work in.

You want to install it so that the bottom on the SARD goes to the return line, and the side port goes to the fuel rail.

Fuel pressure adjustment is achieved by loosening the 13mm lock nut and then moving the vaccuum port stack up and down by turning the 10mm nut. Counter-clockwise (loosen) = fuel pressure drop, clockwise (tighten) = fuel pressure rise.

*In either gauge setup a fuel pressure guage with an electronic send could be utilized to incorporate a cockpit mounted gauge.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:10 AM

Fuel Pump (FP) Upgrade?

Aftermarket FP: Walbro GSS342 (High Pressure 255lph)

Why Needed?: If you want more than 65HP in nitrous, or do a major supercharger/turbo upgrade.

Price: It can be picked up for $95 shipped, look around on the net (i.e. ebay) for performance shops and e-mail them directly with an offer.

Performance Pontential: This pump will handle all of your upgrade needs pushing well over 100psi-enough for well over 400BHP.

Fittment Issues: This unit is the pump ONLY and will require the use of the stock pump housing and filter. It is nearly* a direct plug-in replacement for our stock pump.

*The pump has some small plastic spacer tabs on the top and bottom that need to be grinded off to fit inside our stock housing correclty. (Anyone with 2 minutes and a grinder can achieve this.)

You will also need get a new gas tank o-ring seal from your local Nissan dealer ($9).

Installation: (taken from Chunger's 4th gen. write-up)
PRELIMINARY STUFF :

WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!

·Remove the FUEL PUMP FUSE from the fuse box underneath the dash.

·Start the engine to use up the remaining fuel under pressure in the fuel line. Wait for engine to stall.

·Disconnect the GROUND CABLE from car battery.

·Reinstall fuel pump fuse back into fuse box.

·Open fuel door and take off gas cap to release air pressure in fuel tank.

OEM FUEL PUMP REMOVAL :

·Remove REAR SEAT CUSHION by pulling both RELEASE RINGS underneath.

·Remove the 3 bolts holding on the TOP COVER.

·Disconnect the 2 ELECTRICAL HARNESSES from the top.

·The top of the fuel tank is very DIRTY. To minimize the possibility of contaminating the fuel tank, CLEAN using brake cleaner. Wipe off excess and allow to dry.

·Disconnect both HOSE CLAMPS securing the 2 fuel lines leading to fuel tank. Have some rags handy as some fuel will come out of hoses.

·Remove the SIX 8mm BOLTS holding on the securing ring. Remove the RING and set aside.

·Slowly lift sender assembly and remove the WIRE HARNESS AND HOSE CLAMP underneath. Make note of the routing of the wiring harness to fuel pump as it will need to be reinstalled the same way. Remove ASSEMBLY and place in safe place.

***UPDATE*** Supposedly you can remove the whole fuel pump assembly by unlocking a tab located underneath the fuel pump outlet hose... I didn't do this but it could save you time instead of going through some of the steps below.... Here is a PHOTO from the Haynes manual...

·You will be able to see the fuel pump assembly underneath. Using a flat-head screwdriver, carefully, pry off the 2 LOCKING PORTIONS of the "basket" to FREE THE TOP HALF. On the other side of the "basket" are 2 hinges. It will "swing" off the hinges after the locks are freed. This part requires some time and finesse. Picture of TOP REMOVED.

·Carefully turn the FUEL PUMP AND PICKUP assembly counterclockwise about 90o and lift to remove. Note the position of the hose and pickup for later reassembly.

REINSTALLATION OF FUEL PUMP :

·COMPARE the OEM and Walbro fuel pump. Remove the short fuel hose from OEM pump and place it onto the Walbro pump in the same position.

·Carefully remove the pickup assembly RETAINER. Remove the pickup assemble. If pickup SCREEN is dirty, clean it. REINSTALL the pickup assembly onto the Walbro in the same position. Make sure the pickup is firmly attached to fuel pump!

·Carefully replace new Walbro/pickup assembly back into lower "basket" assembly. Start 90o and carefully turn clockwise to reposition the pickup underneath "basket". The lower portion of fuel pump needs to be positioned first, then you can push down slightly to get top portion to FIT SNUGLY. If it is not positioned correctly, the WHITE BRACKET COVER TOP will not snap back in correctly correctly. Place the top cover back on by starting with the hinged side. Do not force. You may have to reposition the pump.

·Replace old gas tank O-Ring with new O-Ring.

·Reposition sender assembly over gas tank by rotating it correctly over mounting holes to avoid kinking fuel hose to fuel pump. Reconnect the HARNESS AND FUEL LINE making sure wiring is routed the same way it was taken off earlier (away from float sender unit so as to not prevent it's proper operation).

·Slowly lower seat assembly over gas tank and O-Ring. There should be no resistance or fuel hose may be kinked underneath. Refasten/torque the SIX 8mm BOLTS to specifications over the RING bracket.

·Reconnect the 2 hoses and HOSE CLAMPS to assembly top. If you mistakenly swap these, the engine will not start.

·Reconnect the 2 ELECTRICAL HARNESSES.

·Refasten the TOP COVER.

·Replace REAR SEAT.

·Reconnect ground on car battery.

FINAL CHECK:

Start car temporarily then shut off engine. Note if there is any smell of gasoline. You may have to remove the top cover if hose clamps were not fastened tight enough.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:40 PM

What Kind of Bulbs should I use?

2002 Bulb Replacement Guide

2001 Bulbs Replacement Guide

2000 Bulbs Replacement Guide

Any Model Year/Model Car Bulbs Replacement Guide
Old 10-30-2002, 05:38 AM

In defense of running 235/45R17 tires on 5th Gen OEM rims

There are many factors that go into setting safety standards for items like tires. The most important aspect of these in this discussion in layman's terms is the consideration of "what if...?" So what's the "what if" here? Seating of a tire in a rim has to consider adding all of the forces together that could cause a tire to be unseated, identifying the most critical, then using this as the safety design basis.

Even the most severe turn puts very little force on the tire/bead interface. First, the lever affecting the force on the rim (the distance from rim to road of 2.75") is short compared to the overall lever length (12" which is distance from road to hub), hence over 97% of the force (I won't bother with formulas) is transmitted to the center hub (the longer the lever arm, the more force is transmitted) at which point the lugs take the stress. The remaining force is distributed evenly around both circumferences of approximately 120" linear length (total of inside and outside circumference of bead length), PROVIDED THERE IS SUFFICIENT INFLATION to equalize force distribution (back to the caps in a minute). Hence even a severe turn exerts only a very small lever force that is distributed throughout the tire. Modern tire designs all use wire cable in the bead area for reinforcement to retain tire diameter at the bead, providing an additional safety margin. The CAPS above are to emphasize the lowest common denominator in the tire safety equation: pressure. Tire pressure is what seats and seals the tire to the rim and distributes peak loads throughout the tire to dispell energy. Hence the engineer's challenge and the limiting factor is maintaining adequate pressure in the tire for that dreaded unknown factor: the consumer.

As we all know, most people don't bother checking tire pressure on a regular basis. Therefore the National Highway Department and tire manufacturers have to set their standards to the lowest common denominator, a too-low tire pressure where the rim is almost to the road due to low pressure (probably around 2-3 psi). Under these circumstances, an emergency maneuver places at least a 1000-fold increase in point pressure at the tire/bead interface since it is only the bead (<2") on the outside of the rim that has to take all of the side forces of a sudden maneuver. The tire contends with an additional force here where the tire tends to "fold over" as the vehicle's weight shifts, bringing much more of a side vector force on the bead interface.

In the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco, Ford listed a recommended inflation range of 22-26 psi for a few years, actually lower than what Firestone recommended. Given the lack of maintenance that SUV owners are notorious for, in all likelihood the tires were rolling off the rim, especially in cases where the wheel dropped off the edge of the road. It is no wonder that Explorers were rolling over!

So, what do I do to ensure my own safety margin? In addition to a RSB and FSTB to distribute force equally to all 4 tires, I also visually check all 4 tires' levels before EVERY trip, maintain my tires with at least weekly tire pressure checks, and run a pressure of f/r 36/32 psi to ensure a tight and safe bead seat. [SIDEBAR: Why do I run a higher pressure in the front? To better support the front weight bias of our cars to give me more neutral handling (less understeer).]

Just to anticipate your follow-up question for the accident scenario, if I lose tire pressure suddenly (massive blow-outs don't really occur if tire pressure is maintained, sniper attacks not included!), I imagine there WOULD be an increased risk of the tire rolling off the rim. But you have to remember that in this scenario that tire is going to be a handling problem REGARDLESS without its vital air pressure.

SUMMARY: Tire safety standards are set assuming the worst case, which in this discussion is the lowest possible pressure that keeps the rim off the road for many consumers. Since I check my tires at every trip, know their height when normal, and back this up with regular (at least weekly) tire pressure checks, then I am confident that I am operating a safe vehicle at 104% width compared to guidelines.

CAVEAT: I am NOT recommending this choice for all of you, this is MY choice as you might consider me an outer fringe high-risk taker. I am currently starting a business to commercialize a new chemical process to make hydrogen peroxide by directly reacting hydrogen and oxygen gases, certainly a hazardous operation if not done carefully (remember the Hindenburg!). I also have worked with rocket fuels and components for binary nerve gas agents, so I am VERY aware of safety considerations in designs of equipment and materials. Tires that are properly inflated are critical to my own safety and that of my family, and safety is an essential consideration at ALL times.

Credit: RsMaxMaggie

Source: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=131766

Personal note: This is the FIRST and ONLY scientifically based argument I've seen on this forum that supports exceeding industry and manufacturer safety guidelines. Notice, however, the steps RsMaxMaggie undertook and continues to undertake to justify exceeding those guidelines:

(1) Installed Front Strut Tower Brace (FSTB)
(2) Installed Rear Sway Bar (RSB)
(3) RELIGIOUSLY maintains correct tire pressure at all times

If you are not prepared to follow his example or if you are adverse to taking risks, I suspect that RsMaxMaggie would put you into the category of those who should NOT exceed industry and manufacturer safety guidelines.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Audtatious's bulb chart

http://www.moodym.com/maxima/tech/maxbulbchart.html

Credit: Audtatious

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ-U)