4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Solution to "clunk" for those with KYB strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 PM

Solution to "clunk" for those with KYB strut mounts

If you're like me, when you ordered your KYB AGX's, you might have also ordered KYB strut mounts and strut bearings. I did. After installation, I had a "clunk" noise when turning the car while moving and stationary. I checked everything and nothing worked. I finally condemned the KYB strut mounts and strut bearings, realizing they HAD to be the problem. I ordered the Nissan mounts and bearings. I just finished installing them and I have ZERO noise when turning. It has totally been eliminated. It appears KYB can make great struts and shocks, just the rest of the suspension parts they make suck. I paid 100 bucks at the local dealership for two Nissan mounts and bearings. I can now get the car aligned knowing it is nice and quiet.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

How do you like the H&R/AGX ride and what settings are you on? I'm on AGX's with stock springs, switching back to H&R again soon. Can't stand the freaking gap anymore. The AGX's ride awsome with stock springs, I'm wondering how much my ride will change again with H&Rs on these puppies. These are some tight, smooth riding struts man.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Solution to "clunk" for those with KYB strut mounts

Originally posted by amb4081
If you're like me, when you ordered your KYB AGX's, you might have also ordered KYB strut mounts and strut bearings. I did. After installation, I had a "clunk" noise when turning the car while moving and stationary. I checked everything and nothing worked. I finally condemned the KYB strut mounts and strut bearings, realizing they HAD to be the problem. I ordered the Nissan mounts and bearings. I just finished installing them and I have ZERO noise when turning. It has totally been eliminated. It appears KYB can make great struts and shocks, just the rest of the suspension parts they make suck. I paid 100 bucks at the local dealership for two Nissan mounts and bearings. I can now get the car aligned knowing it is nice and quiet.
Thanks for the report amb. I figured it was either the KYB strut mounts or the KYB front strut bearings. Now exhip95 and I can fix our problem as well. I love my ride with B+G/AGXs, but the front strut mounts definitely have to go. Someone should include the info in the suspension sticky so people don't waste money on a bad product.
-hype
Old 05-16-2002, 05:32 AM

Re: Re: Solution to "clunk" for those with KYB strut mounts

Originally posted by xHypex

Thanks for the report amb. I figured it was either the KYB strut mounts or the KYB front strut bearings. Now exhip95 and I can fix our problem as well. I love my ride with B+G/AGXs, but the front strut mounts definitely have to go. Someone should include the info in the suspension sticky so people don't waste money on a bad product.
-hype
Not a problem. Glad I could help. I just wanted to help those with KYB mounts and bearings and for those that don't have them, don't buy them.

As far as ride, The car is stiffer. I won't contest that. But I have gotten use to the ride. I have my settings at 1 in the front and 2 in the back. On weekends or when I have passengers, I up it to 2 in front and 4 in back. Overall, I am very satisfied with the H&R/KYB AGX combo.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:03 PM

What's so ironic to me is that the KYB dustboots are very good quality while the bearings and mounts are definitely worse than OEM.
-hype
Old 05-16-2002, 02:07 PM

What's so ironic to me is that the KYB dustboots are very good quality while the bearings and mounts are definitely worse than OEM.
-hype
I agree. I guess not everyone can everything right. But maybe these mounts and bearings were an early design. I remember some altezzas I bought had just come out and the company basically shipped them out before truly testing the design. They started leaking a few months after installation. My stock lenses are back in. Hopefully, KYB will gradually design better mounts and bearings and learn from these mistakes. Unfortunately, I will not be there to purchase their mounts or bearings again.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:51 PM

I remember you thread months ago about the noise problem you had, glad to hear its all good now
Old 05-16-2002, 04:01 PM

-hype
You bought your mounts from Cattman didn't you? If so I better send mine back and get the Nissan mounts.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Maximus97

You bought your mounts from Cattman didn't you? If so I better send mine back and get the Nissan mounts.
Correct. The noise isn't terrible so I will just live with it, but in the future KYB front strut mounts should be avoided at all costs. Personally I would also spend the extra money for OEM front strut bearings as well.
I would remedy my problem, but I don't feel like spending more money for new front mounts and an alignment. I could reuse my old mounts, but since these are still new I figure I'll just live with the noise Good luck on getting a return.
-hype
Old 05-16-2002, 06:13 PM

Was this thing the problem?

Link
Old 05-16-2002, 06:44 PM

No, we all wrapped our springs and STILL have noise. This problem is isolated to people who bought KYB front strut mounts.
-hype
Old 05-16-2002, 07:04 PM

bought new struts and got the clunk

i just recently replaced my struts but not my mounts or bearings and i am getting the CLUNK too...i did buy KYB struts just the factory quality...(i think, i just asked the guy at pep boys for the struts)

should i have replaced the mounts and bearings too, would that get rid of the noise...it also "groans" in addition to the "clunk" when i turn the wheel.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: bought new struts and got the clunk

Originally posted by posnorder
i did buy KYB struts just the factory quality...(i think, i just asked the guy at pep boys for the struts)
CORRECTION:

i did NOT buy KYB struts just the factory quality...
Old 05-16-2002, 08:31 PM

no clunk here

A little over a week a go I installed:

New AGX's
New KYB mounts/bearings (front and rear)
Old OEM springs
New OEM boots
Old spring isolators

No clunks and no groans here.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:08 AM

Re: bought new struts and got the clunk

Originally posted by posnorder
i just recently replaced my struts but not my mounts or bearings and i am getting the CLUNK too...i did buy KYB struts just the factory quality...(i think, i just asked the guy at pep boys for the struts)

should i have replaced the mounts and bearings too, would that get rid of the noise...it also "groans" in addition to the "clunk" when i turn the wheel.
Did you do the work yourself? There are a few things that could cause noise in the suspension up front:

1) bolts/nuts not torqued to specs.
2) springs with insufficient amount of some type of insulator
3) uppper spring perch not facing out
4) bad strut bearing
5) bad strut mount
6) spring not positioned correctly

I knew nothing about my suspension before this but know quite a bit about it...probably because I've taken it apart 4 times to try different solutions to the problem. Try checking these. If I'm missing any, please post.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, Tom, as you know I will be running AGX and H&R by next week hopefully. I am using all new OEM bushings, bearings, etc. I'll let you know how the car feels. I am having them installed by an expert this time (even though I know how to do it), just in case. I still have the H&R's wrapped. I will take pictures of the install as we go, for a FAQ and such.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
How do you like the H&R/AGX ride and what settings are you on? I'm on AGX's with stock springs, switching back to H&R again soon. Can't stand the freaking gap anymore.