4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which HID do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Which HID do you guys recommend?

I want to upgrade my lights to have a more "tuned" look to it without sacrificing the light output and blinding others. I've tried searching on here about which HID kit to get for as low as possible, but I didn't have any luck doing so. I've done some research and it looks like I need a 9004 bulb since I got a 97 max. Does anyone know which ones are recommended or if there's anything I'm missing? This is what I want to get:

http://www.wholesalexenonhid.com/views.asp?hw_id=533

I also noticing there isn't a light section on here or the fact I mislooked, but I searched countless times before making a new thread.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 AM

1, you didn't search or you would have pulled up countless threads . 2 putting hids in stock housing will cause glare like there is no tomorrow. If you aren't upgrading to projectors i wouldn't get hids . You wont see much more than you are seeing now and you will be creating a dangerous situation. If other drivers cant see do you think thats safe for either of you? If you really want to do yourself some good, look up a little farther in the sticky and there is a thread about hid kits. You dont even have to search to find that one.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 AM

considering how terrible stock output is, i decided to purchase an hid kit for the meantime until i get the time to start the retro fit (have all the parts just seem to keep waiting until i have the time) which is why i just bought one of the kits off of ebay for 57 shipped in 3 days.

i do alot of driving in unlit areas everytime i drive to my moms house (which is about 30 minutes of driving both ways in almost complete darkness). the difference between stock and these is night and day and they come with a year warrenty. i say go for em, what do you have to lose.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Yea, but aren't you ganna get glare like crazy and bad output?

All I want to know is where and what do I need to do to get good light output without hurting the wallet? I just need more light range thats all.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Sold

I recommend.... NONE.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by petro2342
All I want to know is where and what do I need to do to get good light output without hurting the wallet? I just need more light range thats all.
Go to jcwhitney on line and order 80/100 Watt CLEAR 9004 bulbs.
That will boost your light output quite a bit and wount cause any glare.
Make sure your sockets are in good shape and the connections are clean.
You can squeeze some dielectric grease onto the terminals to keep water and corrosion out and maintain a good electrical connection.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 AM

Thank you! Someone with some useful information.

So than something like this will work I'm assuming.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/LUMINICS-KR...9945_10101.jcw
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 AM

IBTL
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM

No, it won't. Stay away from any tinted bulbs - they will significantly reduce output. Blue bulbs have very poor output, and purple bulbs are worse.

Those bulbs will be much worse than the stock bulbs.

There is no safe option for increasing the output of the stock housings.

My best suggestion, if you want to do it cheap, is don't touch your headlights. Buy a pair of clear off-road long-range round driving lights, and mount them somewhere. Only use them if you're the only car on the road. You'll still have your stock headlights for driving in crowded or well-lit areas, but if you're on a long dark road in the middle of the night, then you can use the driving lights.

Putting colored bulbs in the stock housings will reduce output. high-power 100w bulbs will most likeily melt your wiring, or destroy your headlights, since they are not designed to withstand the extra current and heat. Putting HIDs will give you such bright "hotspots" that you won't be able to see that well at all.
Not to mention, all of those things are unsafe and illegal, and if you get pulled over, you will be ticketed, and depending on where you live, you may have to remove the equipment and replace it with stock equipment.

The other option is, as mentioned before, a HID projector retro. Will give you excellent beam pattern. Usually costs $400-600 for a full setup. There's usually one floating around in the FS forum, and there are several members who will make them for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM

my retro cost me $250, e46 bixenons...........

but nalc is right thou, if u really want better output just retro, u will not regret it
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Absolutely not!

Look at these.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000228399
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

What exactly is a "tuned" look in regards to headlight output??
Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
He meant ricer
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kzoosho
He meant ricer

12,000k!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM

12,000k!!!!
No no no no , you got it all wrong. I want the bright ones. The 30000k . Those glow in the dark.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Those should be great on a white road with UV-reactive signs
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

No no no no , you got it all wrong. I want the bright ones. The 30000k . Those glow in the dark.
Brighter than the darn sun...
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Something that makes your car stand out from the crowd and I'm not talking about putting flashing neons on your car. Don't get ahead of yourself.

He meant ricer
Aren't you the special one? If you provided me some useful information than I wouldn't say anything, but to comment me by your pointless post makes you look quite dumb.

On another note most people on the forums don't even know how to change the most simplest things and bring it to a shop. Hell, just last week I read someone asking how to take a bolt and nut off.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Something that makes your car stand out from the crowd and I'm not talking about putting flashing neons on your car. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Aren't you the special one? If you provided me some useful information than I wouldn't say anything, but to comment me by your pointless post makes you look quite dumb.

On another note most people on the forums don't even know how to change the most simplest things and bring it to a shop. Hell, just last week I read someone asking how to take a bolt and nut off.
the org is a pretty big forum so with the smart people u get the dumb people aswell, most people on this forum do know how to change simple things, they come here to learn how to do that aswell as other things, thats the point of having the stickies. If YOU had read the stickies you would have never posted this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-hid-kits.html

the point we have trying to get across is HIDs in stock maxima housings is a bad idea. If you want brighter lights do a retrofit. this is what you will end up with if you put HIDs in the stock housings:

this is what you want to have when running HIDs

I have less glare with my projectors and HIDs then in my stock housing and i have much better output. Thats what you want.

Next time you come up with one of these super smart threads read the stickies
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r34-style.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...onversion.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-hid-kits.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...or-lights.html

i typed "HID" into the search box, and found all these
Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 AM

I don't need threads on how HIDs work. I want to know which ones out there are good and all. What I want are reviews.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM

Anything OEM.

Philips, Bosch, Valeo, Denso, Hella, etc. are all good bulbs and ballasts.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Go with lightwurkz...... they are the best hids ive owned....never had one blow out......and if he cant afford projectors liek many of us cant...he can just lower his headlight a little and it wont be blinding...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM

I said
1, you didn't search or you would have pulled up countless threads . 2 putting hids in stock housing will cause glare like there is no tomorrow. If you aren't upgrading to projectors i wouldn't get hids . You wont see much more than you are seeing now and you will be creating a dangerous situation. If other drivers cant see do you think thats safe for either of you? If you really want to do yourself some good, look up a little farther in the sticky and there is a thread about hid kits. You dont even have to search to find that one.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM

lmao!!
Thanks for the laughs!!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Hids or better bulbs will really make your car stand out.

You want to stand out from the crowd, make something like these then..... Or like Flava's or.....nevermind

Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 PM

You want to stand out from the crowd, make something like these then..... Or like Flava's or.....nevermind

SWEEET yo!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Team Ramrod

And others don't know how to search for information regarding HID's...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

cliff notes:

you wanna know which off the shelf hid kit is best? none. they are pretty much all the same chinese/tawainese crap rebranded. buy cheap, look for a long warranty.

you wanna know if throwing a kit into oem housings is a good idea? no. oem reflector type housings are not designed for hids.

you wanna know how to get good lighting and high quality products? retrofit an oem setup.

you wanna know what to do to improve lighting since you don't feel like doing it the right way? buy higher wattage 9004 bulbs (not "xenon" or "uv" or any other tinted bulb) or do a 9007 conversion (search)

---

the answers you are getting are not the problem and no one telling you the right way to do it is sounding stupid. you are making yourself look stupid by not listening. on top of that the one time you almost grasped hold of some good advice you went for the worst possible version.

if you just want mad jdm tyte super blue lights so be it, but don't attack those trying to keep you from making a mistake.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:03 PM

8k ask BLACKDRAGON ON HERE HE THE MAN HE GOT THAT SELL
Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM

there goes wizard showing off his retro and making the rest of us jealous......
Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Most of you guys are turning around my questions trying to make yourself look smarter by telling me to search. Its not my fault that there aren't useful info because of you guys keep telling others to search. Instead give the answer and lock the thread. To bad that many of you on this board are trying to show off which of your e-*****'s is bigger.

Anyways I'm going to ignore some of your ignorant and helpless posts. I asked about reviews not how to buy a retro.

I bought some Ultra Visions off ebay for $28 shipped and they seemed to help a bit. I also talked to RussianMax and decided to go with a HID after all.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RuSSiAnMax415
Go with lightwurkz...... they are the best hids ive owned....never had one blow out......and if he cant afford projectors liek many of us cant...he can just lower his headlight a little and it wont be blinding...
Thanks. Will do.

Originally Posted by gatsugansu
lmao!!
Thanks for the laughs!!
Again, you never provided any useful answers so please stay out.

Yes they do actually. Theses are really nice actually.

Originally Posted by G4nismo
SWEEET yo!
Too bad they are pricey, but in order to play you gatta pay.

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
And others don't know how to search for information regarding HID's...
Once again, not my fault when I searched I didn't get any reviews on which HID is the way to go. Didn't know they are all "identical".

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
cliff notes:

you wanna know which off the shelf hid kit is best? none. they are pretty much all the same chinese/tawainese crap rebranded. buy cheap, look for a long warranty.
Thanks.

you wanna know if throwing a kit into oem housings is a good idea? no. oem reflector type housings are not designed for hids.
And again thanks.

you wanna know how to get good lighting and high quality products? retrofit an oem setup.
I wouldn't mind, but money right now is short.

you wanna know what to do to improve lighting since you don't feel like doing it the right way? buy higher wattage 9004 bulbs (not "xenon" or "uv" or any other tinted bulb) or do a 9007 conversion (search)
Don't want to risk hurting the wiring harness so I'll skip that. And I wont bother to do a 9007 as its not much brighter.

the answers you are getting are not the problem and no one telling you the right way to do it is sounding stupid. you are making yourself look stupid by not listening. on top of that the one time you almost grasped hold of some good advice you went for the worst possible version.

if you just want mad jdm tyte super blue lights so be it, but don't attack those trying to keep you from making a mistake.
I'm not attacking anyone. People telling me to search when I have and didn't find the answer **** me off. I may be a n00b here but I have been on the boards over 8 years. I know how these things work. I clearly asked a question, not to be flamed by people who want to make their e-***** bigger.

Thanks for being helpful though. You and a couple of people here are actually good people.

Originally Posted by Crusher103
there goes wizard showing off his retro and making the rest of us jealous......
He's gatta do what he's gatta do.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Team Ramrod

Once again, not my fault when I searched I didn't get any reviews on which HID is the way to go. Didn't know they are all "identical".
Then why did I search and find a few threads?

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...eadlights.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...id-brands.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...where-buy.html
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Because people like above posted with useless info. Still not what I was looking for.

Anyways I called lightwurkz and chatted with them for a while. They have done a countless amount of hids on 4th gen maximas and not once have their customers called back or complained with their light output. In fact they complimented on how much better it was. And thats what I will be doing. So I have made up my mind and will get these. For all you haters, hate on.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Because people like above posted with useless info. Still not what I was looking for.

Anyways I called lightwurkz and chatted with them for a while. They have done a countless amount of hids on 4th gen maximas and not once have their customers called back or complained with their light output. In fact they complimented on how much better it was. And thats what I will be doing. So I have made up my mind and will get these. For all you haters, hate on.
Nothing against lightwurkz, but do you honestly think lightwurkz would tell you if customers did complain or have issues??? Of course they're going to spoonfeed you what you want to hear.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM

go right ahead and spend 1000 for a retro lol. I wouldnt even charge that much. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM

Nothing against lightwurkz, but do you honestly think lightwurkz would tell you if customers did complain or have issues??? Of course they're going to spoonfeed you what you want to hear.
This is true... never take advice from the devil itself (the dealer) unless they offer other brands to compare to that they sell...

Other than that, let us know how they turn out!!

--Mike--
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM

just go get a 6k hid kit and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Which HID do you guys recommend?