4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which do you reccommend? (this is without projectors!!)
OEM Cefiros
44.44%
aftermarket Cefiros
0%
R34-Style (1piece)
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Better for HID's? - OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, or R34-style?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

Better for HID's? - OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, or R34-style?

Whats better with HID's? OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, or R34-style?

WITHOUT PROJECTORS.
(I realize that it's better with projectors, however, for the time being I plan on buying R34 style, or depending on the outcome of this thread, OEM Cefiros or aftermarket, then getting Xenon 6000k HID's.)

for my dark blue 95 se

In your replies if you make one, please state if you know any good places to get which product you recommended. Thanks!!

Last edited by foreknowapparelworldwide; 07-26-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM

All I can tell you is that I tried 6000K hids in the stock housings and I was beaming crap loads of light right in front of the bumper, up at distant stars in the sky, and anything and everything in between.

Projectors are the way to go
Old 07-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Nothing. Don't waste your money on HIDs unless your getting projectors.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 PM

OEM Cefiros hands down, but I suggest going for projectors anyway. They will blow the Cefiros away.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

ok so anyone know any good Projectors/places to grab these online or whatever?

question: projectors, they can be put onto your lights after the fact? so if i was to get either of those three things, r34's, oem cefiros or aftermarket cefiros the projectors that i get i shuold make sure can be retrofitted onto those lights, or what? sorry i honestly dont know anything about these things so any info is appreciated

Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Former Vendor

well first off you need to know that cefiros are not a perfect fit on a maxima and r34 output sucks. i would say the best would be oem maxima unless you have an i30.

now if you still want cefiros/projectors/hids, i just happen to have a set of retrofits i finished up for a member who decided the time wasn't right (they are not cheap). pm me if interested.

*new* eagle eyes 1 pc. cefiro lights
*new* 2.5" clear lenses
rx-330 projectors
*new* denso ballasts/used phillips bulbs available
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM

ebay is a good projector source

You will need new bulbs (D2S) if you go from an HID kit in reflector housings to projectors. Also you'll most likely want 4300K bulbs for projectors even if you had 6000K in the reflector housings.

If you want some projectors, check out HIDplanet.net, or just ebay them.

Plus, I'd go OEM ballasts/ignitors in projectors if I were you.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I love lamp.

HID in Cefiro's SUCK! They put all the light everywhere but the road. Projector refit.

They do look cool though...until you get all the glare. This is a 6000k bi-xenon kit.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
well first off you need to know that cefiros are not a perfect fit on a maxima and r34 output sucks.
Just curious, but if you were to retrofit it with projectors, it wouldn't matter whether or not the output sucked right?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor

correct, but the original question was sans projectors.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Just curious, but if you were to retrofit it with projectors, it wouldn't matter whether or not the output sucked right?

R34 output wouldnt suck if they had projectors.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM

I have a question about HIDs in stock housing... forgive me if it's retarded, but:

The issue with HIDs in stocks is that they aim too high, and shoot up too much glare... you can see fine with them, but other drivers will be blinded. That's why HID projectors have a cutoff shield.

Now, what if you were to drop HIDs in the stock reflector housings, but then put a shield over the top half of them. Almost like an oversized 'eyelid'. Would that sufficiently reduce glare to a manageable level, while retaining brightness to see the road?

Or, what about HIDs in the fogs and just the fogs? The fogs are aimed lower, so would HID fogs give you good road illumination without blinding oncoming traffic?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
HID in Cefiro's SUCK! They put all the light everywhere but the road. Projector refit.

They do look cool though...until you get all the glare. This is a 6000k bi-xenon kit.

Those are aftermarket Cefiros (smoked). The OEM Cefiros actually have a beam pattern that's pretty conducive to HIDs.

Also, could you post a beam pattern pic? It might help to have a comparison between HID projos and aftermarket housings...

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 07-23-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
I have a question about HIDs in stock housing... forgive me if it's retarded, but:

The issue with HIDs in stocks is that they aim too high, and shoot up too much glare... you can see fine with them, but other drivers will be blinded. That's why HID projectors have a cutoff shield.

Now, what if you were to drop HIDs in the stock reflector housings, but then put a shield over the top half of them. Almost like an oversized 'eyelid'. Would that sufficiently reduce glare to a manageable level, while retaining brightness to see the road?

Or, what about HIDs in the fogs and just the fogs? The fogs are aimed lower, so would HID fogs give you good road illumination without blinding oncoming traffic?
Alright, a few things:

1. Kind of. The issue with HIDs in stock housings is that stock housings are used to receiving a lot less light in general, so the light output is a different style, they focus less on the "cutoff," because the glare is not as prominent using halogen lighting, and also focus the light more in a "hot spot" in front of the car since they only have so much light to work with and they need to do something useful with it.

Now, when you put HID bulbs in halogen housings, you have basically a sphere as a light source (little gas capsule inside the HID bulb) instead of a line segment (filament in a halogen bulb). This means the light will be less focused and more scattered, since the housing was not engineered for the sphere source. Second, is that the sheer amount of light is amplified quite a bit. 9004 bulbs output about 700 lumens (45watt low beam) and 9007 bulbs are about 1000 lumens (55watt low beam). A 4300K bulb will output about 3400 lumens, and a 6000K bulb, which people tend to like more for reflector HID systems, puts out about 2200 lumens. Now, there is a certain amount of glare from factory halogen reflectors, but now not only are you making the light blue-ish (more prominent color for glare) but you're increasing the glare intensity 3-5 times. That makes for some uncomfortable glare.

2. There are HID bulbs built for reflector systems (D2R) that have a shield built-in, but an external shield would do better. People have done (there was someone who found the shields in Volvo HID reflectors) this and reported good results. Unfortunately you will still get the crappy beam pattern that the halogen reflectors give you, which focuses most of the light into hot spots directly in front of your car. Aftermarket housings i.e. aftermarket Cefiros and R34 housings will give you an even worse beam pattern, scattering the light into strange patterns and putting very little of it on the ground in useful places.

HID projectors (and to a lesser extent, reflectors) are engineered to put out a wide, even beam pattern with no hotspots. You have plenty of light to work with so there is no reason to focus it right on front of the car.

3. A lot of people actually aim fogs horribly so even with halogens they are still blinding. Fogs are not meant to provide illumination comparable to low beams. They're meant to light very close and wide, and in many cases are just for decoration (A32 fogs do squat). Using fogs as a main source of illumination is just a bad idea, you will not get much usable light out of them, especially if they're aimed correctly (down). I would not do it unless you just wanted to look cool.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 07-23-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Here's a good comparison pic I took when I was putting my retros in:

The projector is sitting in the hood so don't mind the positioning, but you can see the "hot spot" focusing of the halogens (keep in mind that is already a 9007 conversion up to 55watts and axial filament from 45watts and transverse filament) down to the right and the wide, even, defined pattern of the projector to the left.

Here's another of the output of the projectors. Wide, even spread and defined.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 07-23-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

ok so like... i dont understand haha! i dont know if this makes sense but here goes

-Are there any light housings made for HID's for 4th gen maximas.. that are clear looking like the r34 style or something or are there only the halogen style housings available (in which case i have to buy projectors seperate and retrofit them.. i dont understand like.. ahh lol)

-can you buy HID's with Projectors already then get them put in your r34 or whatever housing...

-can anyone recommend sites to buy projectors that are good to use with r34 or OEM Crefiros can anyone recommend like a particular good projector that can be used in an OEM Cefiro housing or r34... ?

- anyone know any sorta "homemade" retrofit jobs.. things that they have made or whatever that worked or helped a bit focus thhe light

2. There are HID bulbs built for reflector systems (D2R) that have a shield built-in, but an external shield would do better.
-so if i was to install D2R hid bulbs into my r34 or OEM Cefiro would that be better? do they still use the regular xenon hid conversion kit? or are they a different type of kit? um does using D2R bulbs as my HID bulbs in my r34 or OEM Cerfiro, would that sort of be a half decent solution rather than buying projectors?

damn i hate being a noobie.

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
seems like its not a question of, should you use projectors in R34s but, which ones...
exactly ^

Last edited by foreknowapparelworldwide; 07-23-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by foreknowapparelworldwide
ok so like... i dont understand haha! i dont know if this makes sense but here goes
No worries.

-Are there any light housings made for HID's for 4th gen maximas.. that are clear looking like the r34 style or something
No.

or are there only the halogen style housings available (in which case i have to buy projectors seperate and retrofit them.. i dont understand like.. ahh lol)
Yes, and aftermarket housing stock output is horrible enough that I wouldn't get them at all unless you were going to retrofit.

-can you buy HID's with Projectors already then get them put in your r34 or whatever housing...
You can get a full kit (ignitors/ballasts, bulbs, projectors) online but really the bulbs and ballasts tend to be pretty universal so it's just as easy to piece together the kits.[/quote]

-can anyone recommend sites to buy this stuff
HIDplanet.net and HIDplanet.net forums/classifieds
ebay
junkyard maybe?

-can anyone recommend like a good projector that can be used in an OEM Cefiro housing or r34... ?
Bixenons (HID low and high beam):
Infiniti FX projectors off an FX35/FX45
E46 projectors off an E46 BMW with bixenons
E55 projectors off of an '04 Maxima or Merc E class
TL projectors off an Acura TL (large, hard to fit and more expensive but great output)

Single Xenons (HID low beam, no high beam):
TSX projectors off an Acura TSX (pretty sharp, a pretty good deal for the output)
S2000 projectors (expensive but awesome output)
RX330 projectors off the lexus
RX-8 projectors

If you're going with bixenon projectors you'll need someone to make you a harness (or you can make it yourself if you're electrically inclined), you'll probably want someone to make you one even for single xenons.

- can anyone reccomend and sorta "homemade" retrofit projectors.. things that they have made or whatever that worked or helped a bit focus thhe light
Ehh. Do it right or not at all. People have put HIDs into cheaper halogen projectors (i.e. E30 projectors, integra projectors, Z32 projectors) with iffy results. If it's not designed for HIDs I'd steer clear.

-if i was to install D2R hid bulbs into my r34 or OEM Cefiro would that be better? do they still use the regular xenon hid conversion kit? or are they a different type of kit?
Better? That depends on what you mean by better. Stock halogens would probably light the road better than R34s with HIDs. OEM Cefiros should be better than stock lighting at least. And yes, putting HIDs in either of these kits would require the conversion kits that you can find in the group deal section, but you'd want the H4 conversion kit.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

Bi-xenons, a better choice? so if I was to buy a Bi-Xenons kit, say 6000k, instead of just Xenon, and use it in a OEM Cefiros housing or r34, would I still need to get projectors or?

am i making sense, haha.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:34 PM

You could do that and get an acceptable outcome, but you'd get better results with a retrofit. Someone made a video with OEM cefiros and a bixenon kit a long time ago but I don't remember where it was.

Problem is, I'm not sure where to find OEM cefiros at this point. Not sure if they're still ebaying them (and there are aftermarket cefiros that claim to be OEMs)
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

hmm im searching around for 9004 (im guessing thats what would fit these headlight housings?) bi-xenon kits, they're not so easy to come by most people only have xenon.

do you know why bi-xenon is a bit better than xenons when used with these housings and no projectors or? just going on other peoples word on that?

do you know the if theres a serious difference in quality between a bi-xenon kit and low/high kit. theres explanations on here, a Bi-Xenon Product the same but as hi/low kit

have a look what do you think might be better? hmm.

sorry for all the questions

Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Cefiros are H4, not 9004.

Bixenons have a xenon high beam and xenon low beam. "hi-low kits" tend to have a xenon low beam and halogen high beam. Single xenon kits have no high beam. I'd suggest going for bixenons.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 AM
foreknowapparelworldwide

It is really hard finding OEM Cefiro's I'm looking around not having too much luck at the moment ebay has 1 listing, so if I cannot find these I may just go with crystal clear R34's then, so are these 9004??

Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM

IIRC they're 9005 and 9006 (separate high and low beams). You can't get a single bixenon kit for them, and the output is horrendous without projectors.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM
foreknowapparelworldwide

So basically its looking like I should search for OEM Cefiros, as they use the H4 hid bulb, which I'm told has a factory shield that may reduce glare a bit more, better than the 9004 - 5 - 6 hid bulbs?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Those are aftermarket Cefiros (smoked). The OEM Cefiros actually have a beam pattern that's pretty conducive to HIDs.

Also, could you post a beam pattern pic? It might help to have a comparison between HID projos and aftermarket housings...
Keep in mind, I actually have glare shields.

Low:

High:

Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
foreknowapparelworldwide

For my 1995 Maxima SE.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to:

*Get a Bi-Xenon kit for R34's or OEM/SmokedBlack Cefiros?
*Get a Hi/Low kit for R34's or OEM/SmokedBlack Cefiros?

Any recommendations?
Note: For a while I will be using just halos before I do HID anyway

-does anyone know if the Bi-Xenons would work in R34 style housing as opposed to the Cefiros?
-do you think w Hi/Low kit would be a better idea for the R34 or Cefiros?
-Or, lol, would a just a Xenon kit be a better idea then, for the R34's or Cefiros (this is without projectors.)

NOW: Regarding choose whether or not to use R34's or Cefiros in my car JUST concerning the INSTALL ONLY:

the INSTALL on
These are the R34's I'm looking at vs. Black Smoke Cefiros vs OEM Cefiros like the Ones Found Here on a 1995 Maxima Se.
Does anyone have any comments or links to tutorials on this, experience they've had with it? Which is an easier, or, more affective for later on install, I hear you have to make cuts with the Cefiros to install them whereas the R34's are just PNP? Is this true?

Last edited by foreknowapparelworldwide; 07-24-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

foreknowapparelworldwide
R34's have a separate housing for lows and highs. So you only need to put a regular xenon kit into the 9006(low) side and leave the high beam side as is, you do not need a hi/low kit.
HOWEVER I highly recommended using OEM philips bulbs as all other bulbs just used rebased bulbs and you HAVE to use a hid projectors. don't put hids into the housing and call it a day

Taking into account that all this is not cheap
200 R34 housing

300-350 s2000 projectors which are the best low beam projectors besides ls430 but these are too big
or
100-200? tsx projectors which are great but not as wide and intense as s2k

100-130 philips oem 4300k bulbs

100 for ballast, now a days you can see most ballast are durable but beware that you are taking a risk.
or
150+ for oem ballast

I my self bought r34 housing installed some s2000s in there and the light is amazing to say the least. I will start a thread soon.

peace

Last edited by jessea510; 07-24-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

ohh yeah i guess that makes sense thanks for the clarification

if Cefiros, i would need to get a Bi-Xenon or Hi/Low right

let me know when you post up a thread of your r34 lights and how they look
and maybe a how-to on the install of them

Last edited by foreknowapparelworldwide; 07-24-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

-What about the OEM Stock 95 maxima lights.. are they just one bulb for low/high or are they like the R34 which uses seperate bulbs for each. I haven't really examined my stock lights. If they are just one bulb, then I'm guessing a Bi-Xenon kit would be good, I want the functionality of low high, because i drive in the country a lot up north on the small 2 lane highways - and so the high beams are good.

I don't think I'm going to grab Cefiros, i dont want to install / plus they are hard to find now OEM wise anyway. I'd rather just use a PNP like R34's or leave it as stock OEMS pointing to the next question. In case I sell the max or something in the future and somebody wants stock lights they can still put them in. Just better for me i think. Anyway

-NEW QUESTION~

Before I go ahead and choose to get R34's or leave it as stock.
Does any one know:

a) Are STOCK 95 max OEM's better using stock light bulbs than the R34's using the same stock bulbs?

b) Would stock 95 max OEM's be better with HID than R34's? This is without projectors. (If I choose to go head any buy HID later on for the lows if I use R34, and I decide it looks like crap beam wise, Ill deal with retrofitting pkjtrs then. Whatever)

Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by foreknowapparelworldwide
-What about the OEM Stock 95 maxima lights.. are they just one bulb for low/high or are they like the R34 which uses seperate bulbs for each. I haven't really examined my stock lights. If they are just one bulb, then I'm guessing a Bi-Xenon kit would be good, I want the functionality of low high, because i drive in the country a lot up north on the small 2 lane highways - and so the high beams are good.

I don't think I'm going to grab Cefiros, i dont want to install / plus they are hard to find now OEM wise anyway. I'd rather just use a PNP like R34's or leave it as stock OEMS pointing to the next question. In case I sell the max or something in the future and somebody wants stock lights they can still put them in. Just better for me i think. Anyway

-NEW QUESTION~

Before I go ahead and choose to get R34's or leave it as stock.
Does any one know:

a) Are STOCK 95 max OEM's better using stock light bulbs than the R34's using the same stock bulbs?

b) Would stock 95 max OEM's be better with HID than R34's? This is without projectors. (If I choose to go head any buy HID later on for the lows if I use R34, and I decide it looks like crap beam wise, Ill deal with retrofitting pkjtrs then. Whatever)

:attention to posting your identical questions over and over in multiple threads...

Invalid POLL - "none of the above" not found.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
foreknowapparelworldwide

Aside from your reply. They aren't hard questions and my searches didn't satisfy an answer. SO therefore I'm going to ask, and see other thread for a more detailed explanation. Thanks for your reply though as you know what forums are for

If people would spend simple time replying to questions someone has, IF they have an answer, it would be a better use of time, rather than spending that time writing a post *****ing about other peoples posts, which just fills up the site with frivolous posts...

Anyways. Still looking for valid replies to that previous post of mine. I need some opinions on it so I can decide. Plain and simple. Thank you in advance to those who reply to the content.

Last edited by foreknowapparelworldwide; 07-25-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: some clarification

Old 07-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Bacon Lover

The poll is useless. The worst option currently has the most votes

In terms of keeping glare to a minimum, OEM Cefiro headlights are your best option. They have a cap on the end of where the bulb sits, H4 has a much more "solid" beam pattern, etc. Make yourself a glare shield and/or use D2R-style bulbs and you'll be the best off you can be without projectors.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Still, there's no need for different colored font to get our attention and stating "question" and "new question" in just about every one of your replies. I think we all know what the ? symbol means....

Back to your poll. Hope you find the answers you seek.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's no need for posting to help this guy. His other thread was the same. He doesnt like what we post and info we give him because its not the answer he wants to hear/read. It's pointless.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 AM

To the OP. Send me what ever housings you get and some money and ill put you some projectors in it. Then you will have great output and pretty lights.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

i want to know who actually has oem cefiros to actually vote for them. your choices are aftermarket chrome (oem style) or aftermarket smoked.

you need to keep all your questions in 1 place. having them scattered through 10 threads isn'tgonna help your understanding. this is also not arts & crafts. no need to break outthe crayolas. once you start following forum ettiquette then start complaining about the types of answers you recieve.

you have gotten your answers. there are no outstanding options for hids in reflector housings. if you don't care, do whatever. if you do care the link to hidplanet.com has been given to you. thats where you need to go to do your own research. this is a maxima forum not a "answer my repeticious questions about hids" forum.

my thinking is if you haven't jumped on the projector idea already and gone to do your research on retrofitting then you probably don't care all that much about quality lighting. slap an ebay hid kit in your oem housings and be done with it.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by max95q
There's no need for posting to help this guy. His other thread was the same. He doesnt like what we post and info we give him because its not the answer he wants to hear/read. It's pointless.

He doesnt want to believe or for somewhere doesnt understand that he wont get better lighting by just changing housings. He also doesnt seem to understand what people mean when they say "hids in a reflective housing suck".
I think the best thing to do is just tell him YES, HIDs in the R34s or any other Maxima housing will be awesome, buy them!

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 07-26-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7

He doesnt want to believe or for somewhere doesnt understand that he wont get better lighting by just changing housings. He also doesnt seem to understand what people mean when they say "hids in a reflective housing suck".
I think the best thing to do is just tell him YES, HIDs in the R34s or any other Maxima housing will be awesome, buy them!
No No No. I need money . Tell him retro and tell him to let me do it
Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by kzoosho
No No No. I need money . Tell him retro and tell him to let me do it
We have told him, he refuese to believe thats his best option.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I love lamp.

I need to bring this back up again:

and

Quick Reply: Better for HID's? - OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, or R34-style?