5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5th Gen Y-Pipe Install Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Possible Sticky? 5.5th Gen Y-Pipe Install Write-Up

I haven't seen any good write-ups of this install with pictures, so I thought I'd offer mine as a starting point. Pictures aren't all that good, but it was the best I could do. Its still a work in progress and when its nicer weather out, I'll try to take some better pictures for ya. In the meantime, feel free to comment/suggest and I'll try to improve the write-up and maybe we can use it in the how-tos.

This was a Cattman y-pipe installed on my 02 Max...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/694087/5

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 09-11-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

That is a good write-up. Thanks for taking the time to get the info out there. Overall, what type of performance increase would you say your car received with this mod?
Thanks,
-Tim

Polo had a pretty decent one as well.

MaximaDave did also.

Updated MaximaDave link:

http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/133107/4

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 09-11-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Y-Pipe Install

Hey Puppet, do you know if you need to extend the O2 sensor wiring for a 5th gen, '00 SE when installing either a Cattman or Budget Y-pipe? Or is it a simple unbolt, unplug, bolt back on, and plug back in? Thanks in advance ( Oh, and this is an open question, not only for Puppet) !
Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
That is a good write-up. Thanks for taking the time to get the info out there. Overall, what type of performance increase would you say your car received with this mod?
Thanks,
-Tim

Polo had a pretty decent one as well.

MaximaDave did also.
Thanks Tim.... I had seen Polo's before... for some reason I couldn't find it again... guess I should use the Search function a little more... haha....

Anyways, I actually have a leak because I broke one of the bolts going to the secondary pipe and haven't been able to fix it yet, so I can't comment on the performance gains just yet. Its actually the bolt that had to be cut, as per Polo's write-up, and its the one that was replaced with a shorter bolt in MaximaDave's. I need to redo that part and then I'll be able to let ya know how the performance improves.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I've toyed around with the notion of adding the Cattman Y pipe for about a year now, and still can't decide whether to do it or the b pipe (have the rear section already). I'll have to see what your thoughts are once you get everything squared away. Good job.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 PM

For now, I can say that it sounds good.... sorta, if ya ignore the sound of the leak... haha... I have a Frankencar cat-back on and its given it more of a rumble. But yeah, I'm gonna wait till the leak is fixed to comment for real...

Why don't ya just go all the way and get a y-pipe and a b-pipe? In terms of gains it seems that the y-pipe is better, unless of course you're waiting to put headers in or something....
Old 01-24-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BRAN808
Hey Puppet, do you know if you need to extend the O2 sensor wiring for a 5th gen, '00 SE when installing either a Cattman or Budget Y-pipe? Or is it a simple unbolt, unplug, bolt back on, and plug back in? Thanks in advance ( Oh, and this is an open question, not only for Puppet) !
From what I've heard from Soonerfan... he didn't have to do any of that with his Warpspeed.... might wanna try sending him a PM or any of the other guys with a 5th Gen...
Old 01-24-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
From what I've heard from Soonerfan... he didn't have to do any of that with his Warpspeed.... might wanna try sending him a PM or any of the other guys with a 5th Gen...
Thanks Puppet. I'll do that.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Why don't ya just go all the way and get a y-pipe and a b-pipe? In terms of gains it seems that the y-pipe is better, unless of course you're waiting to put headers in or something....
I've debated about that as well, but honestly, I'm not sure how long I'll end up holding on to the Maxima (maybe another year or so).
Old 01-24-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I've debated about that as well, but honestly, I'm not sure how long I'll end up holding on to the Maxima (maybe another year or so).
Same here, esp after seeing those snowdrift clips of that EVO in OT...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:04 AM

anyone know if that 02 wire you splice into, to extend o2 goes all the way into the stock wiring harness? or can it be replaced? (like with a plug) only reason i ask, say i needed to go in for warranty work...and wanted to put the car back to stock. havign soldered up wires will almsot always lead to b.s. the dealer will pull. if i have a spare wire i can clip back into place i would most deinately buy a y-pipe then.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 AM

If I understand your question correctly... I think it does go all the way from the sensor to the harness.... I also think the only way you can avoid the dealer BS is to get another O2 sensor and wiring all the way to the harness. That would be a pain to switch in and out, but easier than cutting and resoldering, esp since even if ya do cut and resolder, its pretty obvious you've been tampering with it. I doubt there's any way around this.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
is invisible

Sticky/how-to this please.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 AM

<--- still smiles from the midrange acceleration gained from Cattman Y-pipe installation!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Sticky/how-to this please.
esp since this thread contains links to 3 how-to's for a Cattman y-pipe in a 5.5 Gen....

People usually know what they should be doing, but its nice to be able to see what others have done for reassurance... esp when ya have to trim bolts and cut O2 sensor wires...
Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
<--- still smiles from the midrange acceleration gained from Cattman Y-pipe installation!!!
Did ya do your install the same way? I'm just curious how ya tightened the nut on the trimmed bolt... the one on the secondary pipe... ya can't get a socket in there and its also hard to find enough room to put force on the nut using a wrench....
Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Did ya do your install the same way? I'm just curious how ya tightened the nut on the trimmed bolt... the one on the secondary pipe... ya can't get a socket in there and its also hard to find enough room to put force on the nut using a wrench....
No, I had my shop do it. (I dont have time to even cut my lawn anymore. ) But I know they had a couple of hangups (pun?) trying to bolt the Y-pipe into the stock headers.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
No, I had my shop do it. (I dont have time to even cut my lawn anymore. ) But I know they had a couple of hangups (pun?) trying to bolt the Y-pipe into the stock headers.
Haha... okay... thanks anyway.... at least you're getting to enjoy it... I still have my leak on the secondary from a broken bolt....
Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 AM

If I understand your question correctly... I think it does go all the way from the sensor to the harness.... I also think the only way you can avoid the dealer BS is to get another O2 sensor and wiring all the way to the harness. That would be a pain to switch in and out, but easier than cutting and resoldering, esp since even if ya do cut and resolder, its pretty obvious you've been tampering with it. I doubt there's any way around this.
thanks for your reply, i figured it was going to be the same as it was on my specV but was hoping it would be different. guess i'll just go with the custom maxima straight pipe only. anyone know if the Custom Maxima Straight pipe reallymakes any noticeable gains on a vq35?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan2k2specV
thanks for your reply, i figured it was going to be the same as it was on my specV but was hoping it would be different. guess i'll just go with the custom maxima straight pipe only. anyone know if the Custom Maxima Straight pipe reallymakes any noticeable gains on a vq35?
No problem....

Apparently straight pipes with no other significant mods don't help a whole lot... do a search for it cuz I think some people were talking about it recently... can't remember which thread but if I find it I'll let ya know....

I guess if ya wanted to squeeze out every bit of hp... every little thing counts...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Wat

sticky time
Old 01-25-2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
sticky time
Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
&quot;tse-tse fly&quot;

how much does this type of install cost?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2K3MAX2NV
how much does this type of install cost?
100-150+ bucks?... but many places will not do it because it isn't street legal... the guy who helps me out at Meineke says they'll have no part in replacing my stock y-pipe with an aftermarket y-pipe but if I have problems with the Cattman y-pipe AFTER its on, he'll help me out. Go figure...

I think most smaller shops and gas stations will do it, but don't take my word for it.... if that fails then an aftermarket shop is your best bet, but around here, those are the most expensive....
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM

Another thing that I forgot to mention was that in the past week of driving my Max around with the Cattman y-pipe AND my leak in the secondary, I've not thrown a CEL yet. Just thought I'd add that since that seems to be a common question about aftermarket y-pipes. Just make sure ya solder the O2 wires right (not too much solder, cuz that can cause short circuits) and wrap em up (at least the joints) well with heat shrink or insulated tape. MaximaDave wrapped the entire wiring and I think that would've been ideal if I had the materials to do it.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good write-up. I am still debating on putting one on my Max. Will see...

Pedro
Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

im still wondering why you had to cut and extend... i had a buddy install mine without having to do that. he just cut some wire tie looking thing to give it some slack and it fit no problems... also u guys worrying about any problems, i too had the same worries and its been about 3 weeks now with no problems whatsoever... im very please with my cattman ypipe....
Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM

I didnt cut and extend....all I did was cut the ties that holds the o2 wire and it gave it enough slack and I have had no problems or any codes since I installed it. I think that it is going on over a month I have had it too.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:18 PM

Good to see the write up and the y-pipe workin out for ya bud. Looks good!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Good to see the write up and the y-pipe workin out for ya bud. Looks good!
Thanks Dave... appreciate all the help ya gave me too!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by makavelisk
I didnt cut and extend....all I did was cut the ties that holds the o2 wire and it gave it enough slack and I have had no problems or any codes since I installed it. I think that it is going on over a month I have had it too.
I guess I coulda done that too... didn't really think to do it, but I just figured I'd rather have more slack than less.... maybe I'll add that as a "do if ya like" to the write-up...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Good job on that write up
Old 01-25-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
Good write-up. I am still debating on putting one on my Max. Will see...

Pedro
Originally Posted by Ammi
Good job on that write up
Thanks guys...
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Bump for possible inclusion with the other How-To's..... mods, what do ya think?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Puppetmaster,
From the picture of the mounted y-pipe it looks like it hangs lower than the rest of the car. Does the pipe tuck in flush or is it really hanging lower?

Thanks for the write up. I'm debating between the Cattman and Warpspeed but will be ordering one by the end of the week.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Puppetmaster,
From the picture of the mounted y-pipe it looks like it hangs lower than the rest of the car. Does the pipe tuck in flush or is it really hanging lower?

Thanks for the write up. I'm debating between the Cattman and Warpspeed but will be ordering one by the end of the week.
Well, if ya notice in that picture... I hadn't screwed in the bolt for the hanger yet, I also hadn't tightened the nuts on the secondary pipe when I took that picture. Its basically the wrong picture, that's why I added a comment that I'd update the picture later when I get some good weather. It does not hang that low, but it is lower than the stock y-pipe by a tad.... I'll let ya know when I get some better pictures... just remind me via PM or something...

And yeah, you're welcome... even though Polo and MaximaDave did their write-ups over a year ago, they weren't in the How-To's... so I thought I'd contribute one... now we have at least 3 in this thread, so hopefully a mod will sticky it...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:16 AM

Thanks, I figured it was something like that.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Thanks, I figured it was something like that.
Yeah, sorry about that, didn't mean to cause ya any confusion... I'll get some new pics up soon....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Back from the dead - Links fixed for y-pipe install.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Didn't see any dyno runs in the links, but I've seen in other threads this is a 7-9 hp gain. Can anyone confirm that?

Quick Reply: 5.5th Gen Y-Pipe Install Write-Up