5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help me out! Please reply to my thread....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 12:56 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Help me out! Please reply to my thread....

It's in the General Forum:

Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Thanks,

Alex
Old 05-16-2002, 09:27 AM

Anyone interested?

This is the BEST way to know whether your oil of choice is good enough to protect your engine and how it stacks up to the competition.

AMSOIL guys, where are you?
Old 05-16-2002, 03:28 PM

*bump*

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil
Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil
Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

Max

Oil

I'll keep this up FOREVER!
(At least till Kev or Tim LOCK it!)
Old 05-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this is my 2cents.....

Ok...in the past we have been thru all the discussion about how well Amsoil protection is and mobil 1 syn protection is below the expectation. I have seen the graph, the comparison and I have no doubt that amsoil provides the best protection towards ur engine. However, does it mean that mobil 1 syn is not good at all? How about others like syntec, etc. What I have seen is just numbers...and what I expect to see is the analysis of these numbers.

I dun mean to flame Amsoil being top of the list and mobil 1 being on the bottom. To me, these numbers need to have a meaning and we shouldn’t just treat them by the value. Therefore, I would suggest establishing a limit towards all the testing we have.

So, what is a limit? A limit here is a number that defines how well all the brands of synthetic engine oil should perform. The further away from this number means the protection that the oil can provide is greater. Now the difficult part is to find a way to establish this “limit” For instance, we have to determined a timeframe, mileage, environment, etc. And someone’s maxima is going to get guinea pigged.

to me, having a limit will provide a better comparison and we will get to know "how well" it really protects ur engine. I dun want to see someone pulled out a number that indicates which is better than others and everyone will fall for it. And the next day, someone present a formulation factor of this brand that has been critisized by some auto magazine, then everybody is going to step away from it. If I choose a brand that is within the "limit" and not too close to it, to me this is my choice. I really want to get my max amsoil-ed...but I want the availabilites.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: this is my 2cents.....

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Ok...in the past we have been thru all the discussion about how well Amsoil protection is and mobil 1 syn protection is below the expectation. I have seen the graph, the comparison and I have no doubt that amsoil provides the best protection towards ur engine. However, does it mean that mobil 1 syn is not good at all? How about others like syntec, etc. What I have seen is just numbers...and what I expect to see is the analysis of these numbers.

I dun mean to flame Amsoil being top of the list and mobil 1 being on the bottom. To me, these numbers need to have a meaning and we shouldn’t just treat them by the value. Therefore, I would suggest establishing a limit towards all the testing we have.

So, what is a limit? A limit here is a number that defines how well all the brands of synthetic engine oil should perform. The further away from this number means the protection that the oil can provide is greater. Now the difficult part is to find a way to establish this “limit” For instance, we have to determined a timeframe, mileage, environment, etc. And someone’s maxima is going to get guinea pigged.

to me, having a limit will provide a better comparison and we will get to know "how well" it really protects ur engine. I dun want to see someone pulled out a number that indicates which is better than others and everyone will fall for it. And the next day, someone present a formulation factor of this brand that has been critisized by some auto magazine, then everybody is going to step away from it. If I choose a brand that is within the "limit" and not too close to it, to me this is my choice. I really want to get my max amsoil-ed...but I want the availabilites.

You have a valid point. However, not all oils, filters, cars, analysis testing procedures, drain intervals, engine condition, etc. are going to be the same. That is why no SINGLE oil will be the ABSOLUTE best for ALL cars including AMSOIL. This is not an AMSOIL vs. everything else comparison as my SECOND post clearly says, "...your oil of choice is good enough to protect your engine". I am personally submitting Redline analysis, because it's not as popular, there is less data on it, and it is MY oil of choice.

So far, we do NOT have enough oil analysis samples of different brands under different conditions such as environment, drain interval, driving habits, vehicle condition, etc. collected to even attempt to make a guess as to a "limit" an oil should be expected to have or be compared too. We will begin that "adventure" once ALL the data is in and the criteria people feel is MOST important has been tested. Then we will analyze and decide whether it applies to owner A, B, or C.

There will NOT be an OVERALL winner. What's important to one owner such as myself, is protection at ANY cost, yet someone else may want something adequate, yet affordable, or inbetween. All I want to do is take advantage of the HUGE number of members to help gather the data necessary.

Again this is NOT an AMSOIL vs. everything else comparison.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:48 AM

Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

I understand that it is hard to determine a "limit" from the limited trends of data we have and trying it on different maxima will just be way too dynamic b/c we also have to consider different environment and driving habits from different individual. To me, I am looking for an oil that will provide the adaquate protection towards my engine and I will still change it frequently, 2500 to 3000?
I have already bought a box of Castrol syntec and I will give it a try. I am using Castrol GTX 5w30 at the moment and my next oil change will be around 2 - 3 weeks. I will submit both of them for analysis and maybe my data will provide some help.

thx

Originally posted by IceY2K1

You have a valid point. However, not all oils, filters, cars, analysis testing procedures, drain intervals, engine condition, etc. are going to be the same. That is why no SINGLE oil will be the ABSOLUTE best for ALL cars including AMSOIL. This is not an AMSOIL vs. everything else comparison as my SECOND post clearly says, "...your oil of choice is good enough to protect your engine". I am personally submitting Redline analysis, because it's not as popular, there is less data on it, and it is MY oil of choice.

So far, we do NOT have enough oil analysis samples of different brands under different conditions such as environment, drain interval, driving habits, vehicle condition, etc. collected to even attempt to make a guess as to a "limit" an oil should be expected to have or be compared too. We will begin that "adventure" once ALL the data is in and the criteria people feel is MOST important has been tested. Then we will analyze and decide whether it applies to owner A, B, or C.

There will NOT be an OVERALL winner. What's important to one owner such as myself, is protection at ANY cost, yet someone else may want something adequate, yet affordable, or inbetween. All I want to do is take advantage of the HUGE number of members to help gather the data necessary.

Again this is NOT an AMSOIL vs. everything else comparison.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

I understand that it is hard to determine a "limit" from the limited trends of data we have and trying it on different maxima will just be way too dynamic b/c we also have to consider different environment and driving habits from different individual. To me, I am looking for an oil that will provide the adaquate protection towards my engine and I will still change it frequently, 2500 to 3000?
I have already bought a box of Castrol syntec and I will give it a try. I am using Castrol GTX 5w30 at the moment and my next oil change will be around 2 - 3 weeks. I will submit both of them for analysis and maybe my data will provide some help.

thx
Can I hold you to that?

I'll add you to the list:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=120526
Old 05-17-2002, 09:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

alright....u guys prefer blackstone lab? or should I try a local jiffy lube?

Can I hold you to that?

I'll add you to the list:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=120526
Old 05-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

alright....u guys prefer blackstone lab? or should I try a local jiffy lube?

Blackstone Labs, but Oil Analyzers will be fine too.

Your on the list.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

btw, I use nissan filter.

Blackstone Labs, but Oil Analyzers will be fine too.

Your on the list.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: this is my 2cents.....

btw, I use nissan filter.

Updated.