4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

reset airbag warning light ok, but the car won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

reset airbag warning light ok, but the car won't crank

Hi,
I am new to this forum but thanks to all of you I have already benefitted from the info that I found here. I have 1995 Maxima with 43K miles. The airbag warning light started flashing right after I changed my dead battery a month ago. Yesterday I used the info in one of the thread here to reset it and it worked. However when I tried to start the car afterwards, I only heard a loud buzz sound and the car didn't crank. I waited for a while and tried a couple of more times, every time it did the same thing. I remember my former 3rd gen Maxima had the starter problem that sometimes the starter and flywheel didn't engage, resulting in a high pitched spin noise by the starter. That noise was different from the one I heard yesterday. This time it sounded a little like gear grinding in a manual transmission when the clutch is not fully depressed during shifting.
I don't know if it was coincidental or it was related to the airbag warning light resetting. It never had any sign of starter problem since I bought it used in 1997 and though I don't drive it on a daily basis it always started on the first try and never had starter slipping or any telltale signs to that matter. That why I am a little hesitant to have the start/solenoid changed without hearing from you guys. I would appreciate it if you could shed some light in this direction.

Thanks and have a nice weekend
Old 02-16-2002, 12:37 PM

Check your new battery. Not charged battery is the only reason I can think off.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. I haven't taken the new battery to the Walmart yet but the car finally started. What I did what to disconnect the battery negative cable and let it sit there for a couple of hours. I then reconncet the cable and started the car. This time the starter was engaging the ring gear, unlike before when it was spinning all by itself.
But it took me seven or eight long cranks to make the engine fire. The first time it fired it died immediately. I held down the gas pedal and continue to do it and when it fired again I didn't let off the pedal completely but held it to 4000 RPM for a few seconds. When I gradually easied off gas until the RPM drop to around 1300 and remain there which is normal for engine warm-up. From then on the car runs like nothing had happened. I hope it remain that way.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 02:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1995 Models are known for bad starters. This is coincidental I'm sure.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:22 PM

Careful treading on dead battery turnovers

My battery died in the middle of a road trip leg from SD to Northern California.

Desperate dead battery cranking ruined my starter..

My electrical system still seems a little "low" since then, running or on accesory, replaced with a better battery, negligable difference, may just be stereo fatigue on the alternator, but is reasonable for now - looking forward to real mods.

Careful with dead battery cranks
Joey
Old 02-19-2002, 03:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry guys, i dont think this is coincidental...i had the same problem exactly like this last week, holding down the gas was the only way to cure it.....any ideas as to what is going on? i have a 96 max 5 speed...
Old 02-19-2002, 03:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oh yeah, i didnt reset my airbag light though :P

Last edited by phenryiv1; 02-11-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Need help like everyone else

Ok, i bought my 95 Max, 164k, automatic, a week ago. The owner said it has a starting problem n that he really doesnt want to fix it up and doesnt have a need for it anymore. It took a few attempts to get it started. Anyway i got the car and had a tune up done (new spark plugs, oil change, etc.) and was told that the starting problem is linked to two different computers that is in the car. Appearently, one computer was replaced with one that has the wrong number . The car was still able to start and run fine. Until one time i tried to start it but it would not crank, the ignition did not make that clicking noise when the key is turned either. The battery was replaced with a new one a few days ago, so the interior, head and tail lights still come on like their suppose to. Im taking it back to the auto shop that did my tune up on monday. I really dont know whatelse to do and I am out of money to spend. I need help. . .
Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where is the write up on resetting the air bag light? Have a 95 with a blinking red airbag light and need to reset it without the car self-destructing.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bassysingh
Where is the write up on resetting the air bag light? Have a 95 with a blinking red airbag light and need to reset it without the car self-destructing.
Search?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Spitzberg--

If all the dash lights come on but the starter doesn't even crank, see my posts 13 and 18. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post7075437
Old 07-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello, I have a 1995 vg30e quest, an old car and really with a lot of adaptations that have been made over the years, and due to the dificulty to get information I'm lost in some questions.
1 all mechanical idle adjustments are out of place, what would be the mechanical home positions.
2 the injector nozzles are not good, they are leaking or dripping, in Brazil you cannot find the original nozzles, in the manuals there is talk of fij 0003 black dot or blue dot nozzles. what is the difference between them?
3 near the accelerator pedal there is a transparent relay is it original or adapted, what is it used for?

I'll post more questions about her later.
sorry i'm not fluent in english, i'm using google universal translator.