4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

starting problem with 96 max

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

starting problem with 96 max

so my boys maxima is having a hard time starting. When you turn the key it is hesitant when starting. Like when you turn the key, its like 2 seconds before anything even works. What could be wrong

::EDIT:: After not getting far with his details, I went to check it out. The car does crank off the bat, you just hear the alt crank like 10 times. Its got a new alt and battery. It only does this after the car has set for a few hours(2 or more). Im leaning towards the fuel pressure regulator. What do yall think??

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 06-09-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
The Golden One

Dude, you of all people should know that we need details and/or you need to search.

CEL's?

If it's cranking, could be a weak starter. If it's not doing anything for 2 seconds, could be a weak alternator.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Dude, you of all people should know that we need details and/or you need to search.

CEL's?

If it's cranking, could be a weak starter. If it's not doing anything for 2 seconds, could be a weak alternator.

Two threads in a row, not a mention of codes.

2 seconds before what works? Starter? Engine starts up?

If you jiggle the key, does it help?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM

I will have to look at his car for details. I havent seen first hand what is wrong, only been told. IMO I believe its the ALT, its got a refurbed one that is like 6 months old, I think it was junk from the get go
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Yeah I am having the same problems and there were NO codes, only a sudden starting problem.

When I try to start my car there is no sounds but the lights and radio works,

Battery: CHECK

Then after hooking up the jumper cables to another car and letting it charge up a bit if there is anything to charge LOL, my car started up but it was weak,

Starter: CHECK

When I took off the jumper cables and started the car then turn it off and tried again for a couple times it wouldn't start with the same silence that happens when I turn the key all the way

Alternator: POSSIBLE

This is the checklist I used in my head when I tried self-diagnosing the problem, a mechanic said that I might be right. And so I hope my issues and what I did to remedy it will help you as well! If its your alternator going out, I believe a jump start should be a temporary fix until you need to turn it on again. But I am not mechanic and so, its best to listen to what Pmohr has to say LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM

new info bump
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM

My 95 Maxima also won't start

My problem is similar. For years, occasionally when you turn the key absolutely nothing happens. Usually, if you keep trying, it will start (and starts well when is starts). The problem is much worse if the car has been parked in the sun. Now it won't start despite many attempts - no better after replacing the battery.

From searching, I'm thinking maybe:
1. starter ground
2. starter connection/wire?
3. maybe bad/weak starter?

(actually this is now my brothers car and he is currently stranded in Tennessee - I can call him to get details if anyone can help)

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tyrotrader
My problem is similar. For years, occasionally when you turn the key absolutely nothing happens. Usually, if you keep trying, it will start (and starts well when is starts). The problem is much worse if the car has been parked in the sun. Now it won't start despite many attempts - no better after replacing the battery.

From searching, I'm thinking maybe:
1. starter ground
2. starter connection/wire?
3. maybe bad/weak starter?

(actually this is now my brothers car and he is currently stranded in Tennessee - I can call him to get details if anyone can help)

Thanks
Where at in TN?

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Yeah I am having the same problems and there were NO codes, only a sudden starting problem.

When I try to start my car there is no sounds but the lights and radio works,

Battery: CHECK

Then after hooking up the jumper cables to another car and letting it charge up a bit if there is anything to charge LOL, my car started up but it was weak,

Starter: CHECK

When I took off the jumper cables and started the car then turn it off and tried again for a couple times it wouldn't start with the same silence that happens when I turn the key all the way

Alternator: POSSIBLE

This is the checklist I used in my head when I tried self-diagnosing the problem, a mechanic said that I might be right. And so I hope my issues and what I did to remedy it will help you as well! If its your alternator going out, I believe a jump start should be a temporary fix until you need to turn it on again. But I am not mechanic and so, its best to listen to what Pmohr has to say LOL
Turn the headlights on, see if they dim when you're not hearing anything. If all of the dash lights come on nice and solid, bright then it's unlikely to be a battery issue. Have you had the battery load tested? You could do it with nothing more than a multimeter and a helper, but a full on test by an auto parts store or shop would be best.

What about if you jiggle the key around?

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
so my boys maxima is having a hard time starting. When you turn the key it is hesitant when starting. Like when you turn the key, its like 2 seconds before anything even works. What could be wrong

::EDIT:: After not getting far with his details, I went to check it out. The car does crank off the bat, you just hear the alt crank like 10 times. Its got a new alt and battery. It only does this after the car has set for a few hours(2 or more). Im leaning towards the fuel pressure regulator. What do yall think??
Does it get any better if you leave the key in the ON position for a few seconds before trying to crank it?

If it's bleeding down that quickly, every seal ahead of the filter comes into play for possible leakage. If it also seems like it's trying to fire for a second, it could also be an injector or injector o-ring leaking into a cylinder. That would both cause the leakdown, and the hard start.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM

My brother is stranded in a small town near Martin, TN with his daughter; he's trying to get back to his campground they are staying for the week.

It will not jump off
In a sense, wiggling the key may have helped in the past, but not now.
Again, the key is that it either starts well, or absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key (no sound). Unfortunately, nothing happens this time despite many attempts.

Does this sound like a weak starter now gone bad?

(I don't mean to hijack this thread, if it is better, I can start a new one - very similar problem though)
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
No more Maximas...

My brother is stranded in a small town near Martin, TN with his daughter; he's trying to get back to his campground they are staying for the week.

It will not jump off
In a sense, wiggling the key may have helped in the past, but not now.
Again, the key is that it either starts well, or absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key (no sound). Unfortunately, nothing happens this time despite many attempts.

Does this sound like a weak starter now gone bad?

(I don't mean to hijack this thread, if it is better, I can start a new one - very similar problem though)
Sounds like the ignition switch. Only about $30 from the dealer. This sort of thing is exactly why you don't just let a problem be, when you notice it you diagnose and fix it before it leaves you stranded.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having similar starting problem that I need some helpful suggestions. I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE.

I have had a problem with it not starting. This problem will happen only a few times each year. When I turn the key, nothing happens...no click, no turning of the motor or anything. (it has a new battery and alternator)

I learned from another Maxima owner that he had the same problem. He told me to turn the key to where the radio would come on, pull the automatic gear to 1st, and back to park, and then it should crank. So over the years, I would do this, and it would fix it almost every time.
One time, this would not work, so I got out the car, shut the doors and locked them, and then unlocked them,....and then it cranked right up.
But now, my tricks are not working to fix it. When it won't crank, I will have to leave it for a day or two, and then, for whatever reason, it will crank like nothing was ever wrong.
Does anyone know what this problem is, and what I need to do to fix it? Could it be the starter, or the neutral safety switch, or something to do with the factory security system? I need some suggestions and ideas.
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MusicMan
I am having similar starting problem that I need some helpful suggestions. I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE.

I have had a problem with it not starting. This problem will happen only a few times each year. When I turn the key, nothing happens...no click, no turning of the motor or anything. (it has a new battery and alternator)

I learned from another Maxima owner that he had the same problem. He told me to turn the key to where the radio would come on, pull the automatic gear to 1st, and back to park, and then it should crank. So over the years, I would do this, and it would fix it almost every time.
One time, this would not work, so I got out the car, shut the doors and locked them, and then unlocked them,....and then it cranked right up.
But now, my tricks are not working to fix it. When it won't crank, I will have to leave it for a day or two, and then, for whatever reason, it will crank like nothing was ever wrong.
Does anyone know what this problem is, and what I need to do to fix it? Could it be the starter, or the neutral safety switch, or something to do with the factory security system? I need some suggestions and ideas.
Thanks!
Have you tried jumping the park neutral position switch when this happens, see if it'll crank without a problem?

Probably just needs an adjustment.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Tyro and Music--

Pull the ignition switch, to the point where you unscrew it from the housing, but keep it connected. Then try to start the car by putting the key or a screwdriver in the slot in the ignition switch. If that doesn't work, it's probably the ignition switch gone bad.

If it does work, you probably just have some slop between the ignition switch and the flange on the steering column. All you have to do is shim that slot a bit. I put a small piece of electrical tape into one end of the slot, and brought the other end of the tape down onto the side of the switch. That fixed it. (I've started perfectly for a year and a half.) But I've heard that someone put tape on the flange itself, and that worked too.

Last edited by DBear; 06-11-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by DBear
Tyro and Music--

Pull the ignition switch, to the point where you unscrew it from the housing, but keep it connected. Then try to start the car by putting the key or a screwdriver in the slot in the ignition switch. If that doesn't work, it's probably the ignition switch gone bad.

If it does work, you probably just have some slop between the ignition switch and the flange on the steering column. All you have to do is shim that slot a bit. I put a small piece of electrical tape into one end of the slot, and brought the other end of the tape down onto the side of the switch. That fixed it. (I've started perfectly for a year and a half.) But I've heard that someone put tape on the flange itself, and that worked too.
I have a similar problem i need to try what you did so can you please post some pics it would be really greatful thks
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I have a similar problem i need to try what you did so can you please post some pics it would be really greatful thks
If you actually search around, you can find some threads with pics and clear instructions.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...on-switch.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...on-switch.html

...etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 AM

I had a similar problem with my 97 max. It was the starter.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 AM

well the problem got better when we changed the PCV valve, WTF?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Johnny--

Getting the ignition switch out isn't hard, but you should be able to find pictures of that part of the process. Here's what I did to my switch. The grayish thing is the piece of electrical tape that extends down into the slot.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...00787Large.jpg
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Turn the headlights on, see if they dim when you're not hearing anything. If all of the dash lights come on nice and solid, bright then it's unlikely to be a battery issue. Have you had the battery load tested? You could do it with nothing more than a multimeter and a helper, but a full on test by an auto parts store or shop would be best.

What about if you jiggle the key around?

Does it get any better if you leave the key in the ON position for a few seconds before trying to crank it?
Its all the same, all the lights stay on bright when I turn the key all the way. And I just tried the key jiggling and it didn't seem to do anything haha.

But now a new symptom is showing up, today I started my car and there was a loud grinding but not like metal breaking or anything, it kind of sounds like when you shift gears while the car is moving which is something I had never heard before, and there was knocking and it loud enough for me to hear but it went away after the car warmed up.

My parents won't let me take the car to get tested because they fear that the car is at a point where its going to die and they don't want me stranded. Or spend money to tow it, LOL. And so... it is going to stay at home until we are ready to take it to a family friend who is a mechanic, who is feel is a total INFIDEL!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Its all the same, all the lights stay on bright when I turn the key all the way. And I just tried the key jiggling and it didn't seem to do anything haha.

But now a new symptom is showing up, today I started my car and there was a loud grinding but not like metal breaking or anything, it kind of sounds like when you shift gears while the car is moving which is something I had never heard before, and there was knocking and it loud enough for me to hear but it went away after the car warmed up.

My parents won't let me take the car to get tested because they fear that the car is at a point where its going to die and they don't want me stranded. Or spend money to tow it, LOL. And so... it is going to stay at home until we are ready to take it to a family friend who is a mechanic, who is feel is a total INFIDEL!
Just sounds like the timing chain tensioner not holding oil pressure, letting the chain slap the guide(s).

As far as it just plain doing nothing at times, it could be in several places; inhibit relay, PNP switch or circuit, the starter itself, ignition switch, a bad/loose connection, etc.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Just sounds like the timing chain tensioner not holding oil pressure, letting the chain slap the guide(s).

As far as it just plain doing nothing at times, it could be in several places; inhibit relay, PNP switch or circuit, the starter itself, ignition switch, a bad/loose connection, etc.
Wow you are up LATE haha, it is 1:12 AM in Washington, and I didn't expect to get a response haha

But, the problem started when I got that fender bender, and so I am now especially angry, and tomorrow I am going to go through my car looking around to see if anything came loose. Then I'll report back. Thanks! haha
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Mos tof these problems can be attributed to a corroded cable going from the battery to the starter. Make sure there is no corrosion in the batery cable.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM

I just checked, and my positive cable is kind of rusty, there is one part of it that is not protected by the black plastic that wraps around the whole thing which connects to the thingy that connects to the battery terminal haha

Sorry don't know what the thing that goes on the terminals are called, I think they're clamps but....
Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude

I had the same symptoms for years. Nissan said weak fuel pump. Changed the FPR with a used one off e-bay and she starts up on first crank every time. IT's easier and cheaper to try the regulator firtst. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Try starting it in neutral gear, (I am assuming its an Autobox) as the gear lever has a switch that prevents starting when its not in P or N. This switch may have a problem or may be loose.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 Maxima SE starting problems

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
I had a similar problem with my 97 max. It was the starter.
So how did you figure out that it was the starter?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 Maxima SE starting problems

Thanks!

So now I have some more symptoms. It started in the mornings, but not in the afternoon...so this may be like those of you who said yours wouldn't start when it was hot. Are there any others out there whose wouldn't start in the heat?

Also, I got it started in the morning again, and drove it home. At home, I turned it off, and started it right back up with no problems. I did this immediatly again, and it started, but a little bit slower. Tried again a third time, and nothing. No sound at all....except for the slightest click that sounded inside the car around the fuse box.

Then I waited about 5 minutes, and tried again, and this time, the engine cranked slowly, and was struggling,...but never cranked up, or never turned the car on. The head lights and dash are as bright as can be. So this is the very first time this has ever happened. In years past, it has either cranked perfectly, or nothing at all.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on this? Could it be the starter? Ignition switch? Bad battery cable to starter? Neutral safety switch?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

More updates on the 98 Maxima SE with starting problems:

I just got home from work and tried to start it, and it did, just fine...but maybe with a slight slowness in the cranking. I drove it around the block, and then parked it. I then tried to start it again, and it did. I turned it off, waited about 10 seconds, and tried again, and it turned very slowly, but would not crank. (headlights are still bright as can be)

As I have thought some more about this, I can recall a little slowness in the cranking over the last 6 months, but I never thought much about it and kept driving it. Also, over the last 6 months, I also remember hearing a loud winding sound from the starter (I suppose) as soon as the car cranks up. This sound usually lasts for about 1-2 seconds after startup. It kind of sounds like when you would keep holding the key all the way to start, even after the car is running.

So,...with these new symptoms, does this sound like it may need a new starter?? Any ideas or helpful suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks

Tyro and Music--

Hey THANKS, this worked great and he got home fine (put screwdriver in the slot). He still hasn't figured out how to fix it permanently. I'll show him your post to see if he can figure out how to do the shim thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 PM

So now I have some more symptoms. It started in the mornings, but not in the afternoon...so this may be like those of you who said yours wouldn't start when it was hot. Are there any others out there whose wouldn't start in the heat?

Also, I got it started in the morning again, and drove it home. At home, I turned it off, and started it right back up with no problems. I did this immediatly again, and it started, but a little bit slower. Tried again a third time, and nothing. No sound at all....except for the slightest click that sounded inside the car around the fuse box.

Then I waited about 5 minutes, and tried again, and this time, the engine cranked slowly, and was struggling,...but never cranked up, or never turned the car on. The head lights and dash are as bright as can be. So this is the very first time this has ever happened. In years past, it has either cranked perfectly, or nothing at all.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on this? Could it be the starter? Ignition switch? Bad battery cable to starter? Neutral safety switch?
Same as my brother. It is worse when car is in sun, better when cool/in shade. Its the "junk" on the ignition switch connection (see the reply above with the screwdriver and the electrical tape fix).
Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM

bad link

Johnny--

Getting the ignition switch out isn't hard, but you should be able to find pictures of that part of the process. Here's what I did to my switch. The grayish thing is the piece of electrical tape that extends down into the slot.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...00787Large.jpg
This link says the photo is deleted or not available. Fix it if you can. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
KH3 by popular demand

My car was doing the same thing awhile back, it would start when I got a jump, but sometimes it would just die, everything would go dead. Sometimes it would crank slow, etc. The problem was fixed after I cleaned the battery terminals. Over time I think residue can build up (not corrosion) and not cause a good connection. They were tight and looked physically connected but would act up, sometimes start, sometimes not. I took a little sandpaper to the clamps and battery terminals, problem solved.
More updates on the 98 Maxima SE with starting problems:

I just got home from work and tried to start it, and it did, just fine...but maybe with a slight slowness in the cranking. I drove it around the block, and then parked it. I then tried to start it again, and it did. I turned it off, waited about 10 seconds, and tried again, and it turned very slowly, but would not crank. (headlights are still bright as can be)

As I have thought some more about this, I can recall a little slowness in the cranking over the last 6 months, but I never thought much about it and kept driving it. Also, over the last 6 months, I also remember hearing a loud winding sound from the starter (I suppose) as soon as the car cranks up. This sound usually lasts for about 1-2 seconds after startup. It kind of sounds like when you would keep holding the key all the way to start, even after the car is running.

So,...with these new symptoms, does this sound like it may need a new starter?? Any ideas or helpful suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a starting problem with a '98 that tough to solve... here was my post explaining the fix:

Originally Posted by cdelena
I have solved my starting problem and it was caused by multiple components but the issues to look for that are hard to trouble shoot are:

1) Intermittant failure of the Inhibit (starter) relay... nissan part-25230-c9962.
2) Rebuilt starter/solenoid with intermittant failures.

A new starter and relay has it starting reliably.

Also found in this fiasco that the battery was not always fully charged... the problem was an alternator that usually put out 12.1 volts instead of the 14.2 it should produce. A new alternator (and used new belts) silved this problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cdelena
I had a starting problem with a '98 that tough to solve... here was my post explaining the fix:
So did you replace the starter and the relay yourself? If so, was it hard to do? I have never done this job....but I have some friends who could possibly help me. Is this a do it yourself type of job?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I'm almost tempted to replace the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch, and the starter and starter relay.

It is strange that there are so many Maxima owners who are having the same strange starting problems over the years, but it seems like there is no consistent fix or answer???
Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So did you replace the starter and the relay yourself? If so, was it hard to do? I have never done this job....but I have some friends who could possibly help me. Is this a do it yourself type of job?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I'm almost tempted to replace the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch, and the starter and starter relay.

It is strange that there are so many Maxima owners who are having the same strange starting problems over the years, but it seems like there is no consistent fix or answer???
The relay is just a plug-in so it is easy and fast.

The starter may take a few hours the first time but it is not all that difficult. Now that I have done it once I can do it in less than an hour.

With a multi-meter you can test the ignition and neutral switch.

The relay was the thing so hard for me to figure out but I found a very old post on the net that rumored that Nissan recommended replacement for any 4th gen starter problem.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 PM

This link says the photo is deleted or not available. Fix it if you can. Thanks for all the help.
It works fine for me--??

If your friend is still using the screwdriver to start the car, you should point out to him that it's a whole lot easier to steal that way...
Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same as my brother. It is worse when car is in sun, better when cool/in shade. Its the "junk" on the ignition switch connection (see the reply above with the screwdriver and the electrical tape fix).
Ok, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I guess this afternoon and weekend, I am going to use your suggestions in this order to try to get it up and running:
1.) use multimeter to check ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and possibly starter relay and starter if I need to.
2.) check all battery cables going to starter, and ground and sand them and clean them, and secure all connections
3.) Use the suggestion about pulling the ignition switch out and using screwdriver to try to crank. If it works, then I will try to do the electrical tape thing.
4.) Possibly buy new ignition switch.
5.) If none of the above has it up and running, I gues I will try to replace the stater and starter relay. (are there any other parts to the starter that I may need to buy,...or do I just buy the starter and relay??)

Ok,...I need some suggestions as to if I should buy the origional nissan parts for either the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and the starter and starter relay....or should I just go up to Auto Zone, Advanced, or Napa? Does it make a difference?? I don't know much about cars, so I would appreciate some advice.

If you can give some suggestions, please read all my posts above to give you an idea of what is going on with my car.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I guess this afternoon and weekend, I am going to use your suggestions in this order to try to get it up and running:
1.) use multimeter to check ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and possibly starter relay and starter if I need to.
2.) check all battery cables going to starter, and ground and sand them and clean them, and secure all connections
3.) Use the suggestion about pulling the ignition switch out and using screwdriver to try to crank. If it works, then I will try to do the electrical tape thing.
4.) Possibly buy new ignition switch.
5.) If none of the above has it up and running, I gues I will try to replace the stater and starter relay. (are there any other parts to the starter that I may need to buy,...or do I just buy the starter and relay??)

Ok,...I need some suggestions as to if I should buy the origional nissan parts for either the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and the starter and starter relay....or should I just go up to Auto Zone, Advanced, or Napa? Does it make a difference?? I don't know much about cars, so I would appreciate some advice.

If you can give some suggestions, please read all my posts above to give you an idea of what is going on with my car.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Ok,...I just tried the screwdriver thing with the ignition switch, and still no crank. All I hear when I turn the ignition switch all the way to start is a soft "click" coming from the interior fusebox area. Does that mean that the ignition switch is working, and that it is sending a signal to somewhere?

I guess I will now check the battery cables going to the starter and the ground. I need to get a multimeter to check some things to...I guess.

Any other helpful suggestions out there?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 Maxima SE Starting problems -relay??

Ok,...I just tried the screwdriver thing with the ignition switch, and still no crank. All I hear when I turn the ignition switch all the way to start is a soft "click" coming from the interior fusebox area. Does that mean that the ignition switch is working, and that it is sending a signal to somewhere?

I guess I will now check the battery cables going to the starter and the ground. I need to get a multimeter to check some things to...I guess.

Any other helpful suggestions out there?

Thanks!
Does this "click" sound around the interior fusebox when I try to crank it sound like it could possibly be a faulty relay of some sorts? Where is the starter relay at?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Posted in the newbie thread

Hey guys. I posted in the Newbie thread, but it hasn't gotten much response.
I'll keep this post very short.

I also have a starting problem. Car:98 se auto. 168XXX

Problem: Inconsistant Crank. It'll crank for a split second and then it will only spin the flywheel/drive plate. I also hear a chattering noise, which I believe is coming from the starter and drive plate; it's like the starter has bad/inconsistant contact with driveplate. Also, I can see the tach rise to ~ 500 RPM. So,i assume this means the starter is making some sort of contact? *full story listed here. forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/389852-noobies-i-am-new-here-but-have-question-thread-read-first-post-before-posting-99.html *

I want know, what components are responsible for the "cranking" action. From the FSM. I gathered the: Starter circuit, alternator circuit, inhibitor relay, driveplate and battery. Is there anything else I should know?

Also, even when it cranks for a second or two. I still get no start. Codes and some fix attempts listed in linked thread. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: starting problem with 96 max