General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why do people block out their license plates in pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I know people here were talking about covering there tags so the speed camera's and the red light camera's can't take the pictures.
So then you can just get a ticket when a police officer sees you driving around with your tags covered up? Yeah, that makes sense...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I thought this was common sense.... apparently not for some...

Thugs/thiefs will think to themselves, "Hey I live in the same town as XYZ, and now I know that when I see that Maxima with license plate XYZ, he's got a ton of goodies (ie expensive quality stereo equipment in the trunk etc) that I wouldn't have know about otherwise and can now try and steal it."

The chances of this happening may be small, but why take the chance and increase your odds of getting your stuff stolen that you worked so hard for?
wouldn't it make MORE sense to simply NOT post pics of your huge stereo system all over the internet or leave your trunk open at meets to show off your huge subs?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by irish44j
wouldn't it make MORE sense to simply NOT post pics of your huge stereo system all over the internet or leave your trunk open at meets to show off your huge subs?
Of course, but it's human nature to show off (share) what they have/done, generally speaking of course.

And besides, I find it interesting that you say this considering you've shared *cough*showed off*cough* your nice little garage and all the tools/stuff you have in it.

I'm comin' to stealz your tools yo!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Of course, but it's human nature to show off (share) what they have/done, generally speaking of course.

And besides, I find it interesting that you say this considering you've shared *cough*showed off*cough* your nice little garage and all the tools/stuff you have in it.

I'm comin' to stealz your tools yo!

basically in the interest of safety of our toys, we can invite people to a bbq at our house and really set it downtown on skid row with cardboard houses and a grille set on bricks cooking left over scraps over a scrap wood fire

best thing to do is hang out with people you can somewhat trust =o thats why i'm more scared of 240 meets than anything else... if I see a 240 on the street I run lest they follow me home and jack my car the next night
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Fox Body FTW

I see valid points on both parts

how about

"if the individual doesn't mind(sharing their info over the interwebz), let them do as they please"

Censorship is only valid really if you feel your life is going to be threatened...or for the non-chance-takers
Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Project Ruby......

Obviously you never saw the thread on the MB Forums with the whole scammer saying he had E63 wheels, ended up selling the set to two different ppl and then saying DHL ****ed up the shipping.

It turned into a HUGE thread and really in a matter of no time they had all this guy's information, where he worked, lived, when he went to bed, what cars he drove. Using not just license plate information, but other tactics as well. But what was really funny/scary about the situation if you do block out your plate using an editing software make sure you flatten the layers. The scammer did have his plate blocked out on his pics of the several cars he owned at one point or another but guys were able to edit the block out just enough to be able to make out the letters and numbers.

This is all common sense stuff on why TV and people on the internet do this. But if you don't use the editing software correctly its very easy to undo the black box you placed over your plate.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by Crusher103
i seriously cant believe this ques. is being asked, its like asking why do u close the door to the stall in a public restroom when ur taking a sh*t, its called privacy
If u want privacy don't post pictures of your car on the internet :huh:
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Project Ruby......

technically if you really want privacy don't post on the internet. or as much privacy as possible at least, but than you would be some crazed redneck up in the mountains, shooting guns and shouting racial slurs So I say stay sane and post all your mirror phone pics on myspace and facebook, and do drugs, and post your license plate all over the internet for the world to see!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM

you guys are making some good points....also i notice that when i take shots of my car, i try to angle it sometimes a CERTAIN way as not to get my license plate.....but end up F'king up the entire shot because i was at some weird angle

I think its the Tv MENTALITY like one of the other members said because of the tv personification and how on the news its blocked out
Old 08-01-2008, 08:39 PM

I thought this was common sense.... apparently not for some...

Thugs/thiefs will think to themselves, "Hey I live in the same town as XYZ, and now I know that when I see that Maxima with license plate XYZ, he's got a ton of goodies (ie expensive quality stereo equipment in the trunk etc) that I wouldn't have know about otherwise and can now try and steal it."

The chances of this happening may be small, but why take the chance and increase your odds of getting your stuff stolen that you worked so hard for?
But lets be real..........we are all members of the .org here.........Which means if i see another .orger's car......I'm going to give him/her praise.....I wouldn't hate on them and show anguish or disgust. But hey i guess not every one thinks like that.......I know im not the only one who is so positive about another maxima.org member, but i do get what your saying
Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by skuccio's max
If u want privacy don't post pictures of your car on the internet :huh:
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
But lets be real..........we are all members of the .org here.........Which means if i see another .orger's car......I'm going to give him/her praise.....I wouldn't hate on them and show anguish or disgust. But hey i guess not every one thinks like that.......I know im not the only one who is so positive about another maxima.org member, but i do get what your saying
Anyone who thinks that scammers/thiefs don't surf car forums looking for easy prey is naive and/or stupid.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM

I kinda think its dumb also. Ive had my cars broken into and robbed and it had nothing to do with the plate number. anyone that lives near you already has your plate number if they want it that bad. and covering a plate number is nearly pointless when you have pics of your custom modified car on the web its easy to spot any of you because everyones mods are slightly different. and the mater of subs being stolen is because they herd you bumping that $hit and put 2&2 together. the only reason to hide your info would be if you yourself were a scammer or were worried about someone making a duplicate plate and getting in to some accident or robing a bank. most every mod we do is visible if you look hard enough. if your that worried about gettin robbed you should invest in a good alarm and park under cameras. and guess what even then you can get robbed. so blocking your plate is just stupid in my opinion I live in NY and about 500 people have access to my plate number at any given moment just by looking at the car. the best way to keep your stuff is by not being to flashy and having a good rep where you live. people hat show off to much always get robbed its just part of life.

(p.s. this is obviously just my opinion based on my life experiences Im not looking for a fight or even a heated discussion just though I would give my 2cents)

Last edited by j2b4osan; 08-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

people in my neighborhood is one thing but someone being able to see my info online and look up my address online is one additional risk I do not want to take... sooooo yea if it helps at all I'm willing to do it, already had a maxima stolen last year...

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
I kinda think its dumb also. Ive had my cars broken into and robbed and it had nothing to do with the plate number. anyone that lives near you already has your plate number if they want it that bad. and covering a plate number is nearly pointless when you have pics of your custom modified car on the web its easy to spot any of you because everyones mods are slightly different. and the mater of subs being stolen is because they herd you bumping that $hit and put 2&2 together. the only reason to hide your info would be if you yourself were a scammer or were worried about someone making a duplicate plate and getting in to some accident or robing a bank. most every mod we do is visible if you look hard enough. if your that worried about gettin robbed you should invest in a good alarm and park under cameras. and guess what even then you can get robbed. so blocking your plate is just stupid in my opinion I live in NY and about 500 people have access to my plate number at any given moment just by looking at the car. the best way to keep your stuff is by not being to flashy and having a good rep where you live. people hat show off to much always get robbed its just part of life.

(p.s. this is obviously just my opinion based on my life experiences Im not looking for a fight or even a heated discussion just though I would give my 2cents)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM

if you can see it on the road, why not see it in a pic?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mymaxi41691
if you can see it on the road, why not see it in a pic?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Licensed to Spell

LOL! I asked this same question in August 2001.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-pictures.html
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM

i dont even like showing my car over the net. (from NYC)
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
wat

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
I take it you weren't around when 02-03 headlight theft was a really big deal. Even today the topic is still somewhat touchy.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
going to sooner's place just to gank his beloved A33 emblem

HAHAHA it's been months since i hoped on this forum, but i do remember sooner fan. good call with the a33 steal. he's such a sweetie, bet he wouldn't even mind!

And i think this was a solid thread, it really think ppl are way too over protective, like several ppl have said, if u really wanna jack with somebody, they can find you
Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 PM

I paid $50 extra to have my tag personalized. I would never black it out.
Besides, if someone wants to come steal my crap that bad, go right ahead. Thats why I have good insurance. I'll just go out and get all new stuff.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM

I think the practice stemmed from Honda Boyz. For some reason, that demographic just breeds thieves. Maximas aren't known for packing thousands of dollars worth of rare JDM unobtainium parts earned from thousands of hours delivering pizzas like some hondas. There are ways of getting address info.

Here in Los Angeles, a tricked out civic hatch with integra type R motor and spoon wheels has the life expectancy of thirty seconds before getting stolen.

Last edited by theStig; 08-31-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by 4DSCDriver
I paid $50 extra to have my tag personalized. I would never black it out.
Besides, if someone wants to come steal my crap that bad, go right ahead. Thats why I have good insurance. I'll just go out and get all new stuff.

I agree.

Although $50 sounds kinda steep?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 AM

wow, just wow
Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I have a detailing business and take pictures of customer's cars to post on my website. It would be very easy for someone to have my website gallery open and take down all the plate numbers. Much easier sitting at a computer than in traffic.

You'd be suprised how easy it is to get the information on a car's owner through their plate number. Someone posted a riced out Accord on another board I go to, and within 20 minutes, the name and address of the owner of the Accord was posted in the thread.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
I take it you weren't around when 02-03 headlight theft was a really big deal. Even today the topic is still somewhat touchy.
No one will answer questions on how to remove headlights from a 5.5 gen.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 PM

You can find anything on the net nowadays, simply go to www.publicdata.com all the info you wanted to know about somebody will be there, for a nominal fee you can wreck or help somebody's life, find out who lived in your apt. or home b4 u, find the addr. of the car your following home who just cut you off in traffic, if a friend of yours is a felon, or hell anything.........have fun!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

me personally i wouldn't take any chances on it because of all the hackers and psycho's out there... and at shows i would just take my tag off and and put one on that i had made....
Old 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Tags

I see people blocking out their license plate numbers when they post a pic of their car. Why no just block it out when driving on the street as well if it's such a Gotdang secret....dumb idea if you ask me.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM

UMMMMM, maybe because your auto reg is public record, and we'd prefer not to have any unsavory characters pulling our reg info so they can come loot our property.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
UMMMMM, maybe because your auto reg is public record, and we'd prefer not to have any unsavory characters pulling our reg info so they can come loot our property.

Not tryin to give out to much information
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM

couldnt have said it better
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM

You never know who may be looking at your information on the internet. I mean if someone from another state decided to find out more info about you, and come rape you. That information would be key to doing just that.

Or if you bought a carbon fiber hood and said that you just put it on there without bolting it to the car for a few days until you can bolt it to the car... then if you were to post a picture of your car with your current license plate for me to see, and I just happened to live near you and wanted that carbon fiber hood for free; then I would just look up your plates and come to your house at night lift the hood up and drive away.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 01-13-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

nub, the question is as old as time (or about a year and a half ago):
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...-pictures.html
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

this. especially if you have a heavily modded car, it leaves you open to get jacked.

if you ask me, the people who post pics of the inside of their houses here are also asking to get jacked gives anyone a idea of the floorplan and worthy stuff to take for a quick exit, and nearly all of the people who have posted leave their house number visible

Last edited by chrome91; 01-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 AM

Must be a different procedure in the 'States....

Where can Joe Public just go and "look up" plates and get home addresses?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Must be a different procedure in the 'States....

Where can Joe Public just go and "look up" plates and get home addresses?
local DMV.

go watch gone in 60 seconds, with Nick Cage.
There is a scene where the guy goes and does it.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
local DMV.

go watch gone in 60 seconds, with Nick Cage.
There is a scene where the guy goes and does it.
lol...you saw it in a movie?

Have you actually done it?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 AM

I can post my tags without worry and anybody who comes to my house at night is gonna see sparks flying off they ****.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 AM

I hope those are blank rounds because killing idiots is illegal too... sadly...

Quick Reply: Why do people block out their license plates in pictures