4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just curious, why do people 'blur' their license plates in pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Licensed to Spell

Either I am missing something or I just don't get it. I drive around all day with my license plate exposed to anyone who wants to read it. If I park my car on my driveway, I don't cover my plate. If I park my car in a busy mall parking lot for hours, I don't cover my plate. If I put my car in a car show, I don't cover it. But if I put a picture of my car on the internet or in a magazine, I 'am supposed to' blur out my license plate number? Why?! What is someone going to possibly do with my plate numbers? I just don't get it. ??? Anyone who can clarify this for me will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by ptatohed
Either I am missing something or I just don't get it. I drive around all day with my license plate exposed to anyone who wants to read it. If I park my car on my driveway, I don't cover my plate. If I park my car in a busy mall parking lot for hours, I don't cover my plate. If I put my car in a car show, I don't cover it. But if I put a picture of my car on the internet or in a magazine, I 'am supposed to' blur out my license plate number? Why?! What is someone going to possibly do with my plate numbers? I just don't get it. ??? Anyone who can clarify this for me will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
lol. maybe if they have really phat cars they think you can track em down and steal em?? thats the only thing i could make up for you............make somebody will give you the RIGHT answer soon.....
Old 08-15-2001, 05:03 PM

Showing your plates online links your org screenname with your real-life identity. Imagine you said something that someone took the wrong way, or that could be used as evidence in legal matters. If they can track you down, you'd stand a bigger chance of getting into trouble.

Shot in the dark?
Old 08-15-2001, 05:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let's say a pic of your car is posted all over the internet and you have some $30,000 sound system inside it. Your license plate is exposed in the pic. Some guy sees this, and says, I wouldn't mind a $30,000 system for my Pinto. So he does a simple lookup of your plate on the internet or DMV and finds your address. He steals it at night leaving you to wonder how the guy got into your car. Only you were the only person who knew the type of alarm that was installed and the only other place it might have said what brand it was could have been on your website with a pic of your car with the plates unblurred... That's why people blur it out, it's more of a privacy thing. When you spend money on your car, other would like to take that so they don't have to spend the money.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There are websites that you can get information on people from their license plate numbers. Plus more people can see your plate here than they would when your driving your everyday route.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Let's say a pic of your car is posted all over the internet and you have some $30,000 sound system inside it. Your license plate is exposed in the pic. Some guy sees this, and says, I wouldn't mind a $30,000 system for my Pinto. So he does a simple lookup of your plate on the internet or DMV and finds your address. He steals it at night leaving you to wonder how the guy got into your car. Only you were the only person who knew the type of alarm that was installed and the only other place it might have said what brand it was could have been on your website with a pic of your car with the plates unblurred... That's why people blur it out, it's more of a privacy thing. When you spend money on your car, other would like to take that so they don't have to spend the money.
aaaahhh, so i was sorta kinda right in my own way. "steal" being the key word............
Old 08-15-2001, 05:54 PM

Post Your Plate and let's see how long it will take to have someone Post your Home Address. Looking at your Sig I personally can use Stillen ground effects...
No Really. It's scary what people can do if they want to. From your IP address I can tell you where you are at and how you are getting online, and that is information you didn't even know you were leaving here.

Originally posted by ptatohed
Old 08-15-2001, 06:26 PM

oooooooooh, freaky stuff man... i have problems with young aspiring supermodels looking me up after they see my pic online and stalking me... no, really, i do...
Old 08-15-2001, 06:43 PM

So why do you never see people with custom plates have them blurred out? I am sure it all works the same correct? Are they so proud of their custom plates that they will risk it?

Alec
Old 08-15-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by TarHeelMax
Showing your plates online links your org screenname with your real-life identity. ...
I value my privacy, so I would never want Maxima.Org members to know my real name.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:47 PM

That is pretty good thinking guys, I would put a pic of my car in my sig, but don't know how, and my digital camera sux.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I value my privacy, so I would never want Maxima.Org members to know my real name.

lol
Old 08-15-2001, 10:47 PM

Old 08-15-2001, 11:46 PM

Every once in a while DBM comes up with the greatest deadpan lines...
Old 08-15-2001, 11:51 PM

I think its dumb too
Old 08-16-2001, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

well you can get someones plate number and track the car down to the address... and well thats not what i'd want... i mean its sure cool for peeps to know whatcity you're in but random people in the net with access top your home addy... i duno

personally i like blurring my plates for the cops... like those lil plastic films that blur out camera pics
Old 08-16-2001, 08:45 AM

Hey Carnal_c30-

Just last night I was telling people about this film you could put over your plate to block it and they didn't believe me! Does it really work and where can you get it? Thanks

Alec
Old 08-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by kaniksu
Hey Carnal_c30-

Just last night I was telling people about this film you could put over your plate to block it and they didn't believe me! Does it really work and where can you get it? Thanks

Alec
Depends on how you look at it, it depends on the angles and on the lighting things like that. But yeah generally it does block it pretty well if you tried to take a side or angled shot at the plate. My cousin had it but I cant remember where from.

SuDZ
Old 08-16-2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by deezo
There are websites that you can get information on people from their license plate numbers. Plus more people can see your plate here than they would when your driving your everyday route.
know any off the top of your head?? I want to try it out
Old 08-16-2001, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

know any off the top of your head?? I want to try it out
You are the reason why people blur their tag #'s ....just kiddin
Old 08-16-2001, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by black019

You are the reason why people blur their tag #'s ....just kiddin
hey I just want to try it out, if it really works I'm covering the plate, if you guys remembered, my last sig had my car lisence plate on, I even said"if you cannot see that, its 038YND" oops I just told you guys my plate, oh well the car is not registed under my name!
Old 08-16-2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by ShortT
oooooooooh, freaky stuff man... i have problems with young aspiring supermodels looking me up after they see my pic online and stalking me... no, really, i do...
however they ignore you after they find out your handle is ShortT, which stands for ShortTallywhacker.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:25 PM

Come and get me bastards!!!

Old 08-16-2001, 04:14 PM

Try this link..

http://www.jamradar.com/plates.htm

Originally posted by kaniksu
Hey Carnal_c30-

Alec
Old 08-16-2001, 04:15 PM

LOL!!

As he parks safely in his garage #;>)

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Come and get me bastards!!!

Old 08-16-2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

however they ignore you after they find out your handle is ShortT, which stands for ShortTallywhacker.
actually it stands for Short TJ... TJ being my name, and short because im only 5'3"... but if u have some issues of your own, i think there are other messageboards for that.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't think there is anything wrong with blocking your plates...

.. There are all kinds of people out there, you might just say the wrong thing online or just be disliked for some reason by someone. If that someone can find your address, name, phone # or whatever just from seeing your license plate, I'd rather not show it off... It's not just theft to worry about, if some maniac knows your address, who knows what they can think of...

I'm with Costco though, can anyone share some URLs on where I can look up info through license plates?
This could be used for good just as it can be used for evil..
Old 08-16-2001, 09:26 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for a site that can locate people by their license plate. Someone hit my car this past week while I was on vacation. Someone did get the license number but it won't help if i can't find him to swap info and so that he/she can start paying for my car damage.
Nelzavala just got screwed by some guy with the same problem. He got hit and the guy gave him a phoney policy #. Luckily he got his license plate #.
So do any of these sites exist. PLease post
Old 08-16-2001, 10:32 PM

http://www.hackerresearch.com/vehicles.html
http://www.tracing-america.com/motor.asp
http://www.acc-u-data.com/form16.htm

I use to have access to plate information for anyone with a Washington state plate, which the following links are unable to provide.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by ShortT

actually it stands for Short TJ... TJ being my name, and short because im only 5'3"... but if u have some issues of your own, i think there are other messageboards for that.
actually you're the one with delusions of supermodels going after you, not me! Supermodels with dwarf fetish, maybe.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

hmmm i've heard about it but never gone to look for it... i might as well ask cuz where i am right now cameras are the only way they catch speeders... two things i've heard of.. the plastic sheet that refracts the flash of a camera or some shiet.. or a flash that reacts to the camera flash to destroy the picture.. i've seen the light thing at work... its pretty cool
Old 08-19-2001, 05:11 PM

nope

i wouldnt post my licence plate on the internet witout bluring it.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the link, its exactly what i was talking about! Has anyone here tried the film or other source to block thier plate numbers? It would be interesting to know if it worked but I guess the only way would be if you received a ticket. lol

Alec
Old 08-19-2001, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

actually you're the one with delusions of supermodels going after you, not me! Supermodels with dwarf fetish, maybe.
Leave her Alone
Old 08-20-2001, 09:38 AM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks guys.

Thanks to all those who answered. I just expected a quick answer from several people, not 3-4 pages worth - lol. When I originally asked the question, I guess I somewhat figured that it had something to do with people getting your personal info. and steeling/harrassing, etc. But I am still not convinced that it is even possible to get that kind of info. Someone listed a few sites. And aside from costing $50, they did not claim to provide you with the person's address, phone number, etc. None the less, I think it's being a little paranoid. Like I started out saying, people see my plate all day long. And those are LOCAL people - key word:LOCAL. I am very much more afraid of someone taking my plate down at school because they like what I have and want to steel it later or the guy who I had road rage with this morning on the way to work taking my plate down because he wants to kick my @$$ or damage my car later than I am from some guy who reads my plate on the internet, likes what I have ... but lives 3,000 miles away. And I have NEVER had a problem with it - even LOCALLY. So, here goes. My CA plate is: HLONWLS. Have fun with it and tell me about myself - lol. Anyway, thanks to all of those who answered. Have a great day.