7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

LED License Plate lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 AM

LED License Plate lights?

Hey guys...quick question for you. I'm going to buy some 194 LEDs from autolumination.com (see link below). I'm looking at the Tower II or Tower III's for the license plate, but don't know if the Tower III's will fit.

Has anyone tried either of these specific bulbs? Has anyone used any other bulbs from this site for the license plate that they think would be better?

Site:
http://autolumination.com/194.htm

Tower II -Only 11mm diameter x 32mm overall
http://autolumination.com/images/aut..._smt2_w_wm.jpg

Tower III - Only 11mm diameter x 38mm overall
http://autolumination.com/images/aut..._smt3_w_wm.jpg
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Well, I haven't changed them on my Maxima but on my 08 Altima(sold) I replaced them with the 13 bulb LED from V-LEDs.com. The bulbs quality and lighting were very nice but unfortunately they were too long to fit all the way in and twist lock.

I figured out a way to make them fit and never had a problem with them. The Maxima may be the same way so you may want to go with the shortest possible but with the most bulbs on the LED that wraps around the bulb, you'll get the best lighting to the license plate and bumper that way.

Here is a link to a guide that will tell you what bulb # you'll need for any bulb:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

Here is a wide variety of bulbs to choose from:

http://www.v-leds.com/194-168-158-LE...orLanding/true

Here is the ones I got for my 08 Altima:

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...38587-1-2.html
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM

I got my 168 bulbs from autozone for 3 bucks, they are bluish white but not LED's.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM

I have the bulb listed below on my license plate light. There bright and and good quality.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/168-194-282...10_sku_c03.htm
Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Let me give you a bit of feedback beforehand that might help other members as well.

I had originally bought a total LED replacement kit from eBay and definitely would not recommend it. The majority of the LEDs have a blue hue to it (6K color) and just looks out of place.

So I took a chance and ordered these from V-LEDS.com "WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821" a pair for $7.99 for my license plate lights since the one's from eBay failed on me twice!!

Link: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...-p6985865.html

About the LEDs these fit perfectly and the output is a true white (5K) color. The car looks much nicer/slicker and since then I have gone ahead and ordered additional replacements for the remainder lights.

Btw V-LEDs is based in Washington State yet I received my LEDs all the way out here in the NY in 2 days and the packaging was very secure/professional.

I'm not affiliated with V-LEDS.com in any way I am just very pleased about the outcome after dealing with them.

Last edited by Ricko; 12-28-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone for your input and feedback. I ended up ordering both from autolumination AND V-LEDs. (2 lights from each place). I will post some pictures once completed.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM

I got mine off Ebay and they work EXTREMELY well and are a very nice bright white. They are so bright it illuminates my entire bumper and a foot or two of ground behind my car as well! Maybe go with a single LED version if they have it, mine have 5 LEDs and it's way overkill. At least for the license plate anyway.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Here is a pic of my old 08 Altima with 13 bulb LEDs on the license plate lights. Headlights are 6000K HIDs. They matched up beautifully!

Again, here's the link to those:
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...38587-1-2.html

For my Max though, I may have to go with the ones Ricko mentioned only because of the fitment issues I stated earlier on my Altima, I assume the Maxima may have the same problem due to the bulb size but they sure did look nice and bright on the Altima!

Originally Posted by Ricko
So I took a chance and ordered these from V-LEDS.com "WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821" a pair for $7.99 for my license plate lights since the one's from eBay failed on me twice!!

Ricko, can we see a pic of these. I would like to know how these look on the "Dark Slate" color. I know you can't tell in my sig pic but my Max is also Dark Slate lol Thanks!

Here's my Max unedited:

Last edited by TintNinja; 12-30-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TintNinja
Ricko, can we see a pic of these. I would like to know how these look on the "Dark Slate" color. I know you can't tell in my sig pic but my Max is also Dark Slate lol Thanks!
I will grab photos later this evening.

On a side note, hard to believe how much better Dark Slate looks with a tinted windows. I guess that will have to be my next modification, however I'm not happy with the $300 quote to do it I received 6months ago.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM

I will grab photos later this evening.

On a side note, hard to believe how much better Dark Slate looks with a tinted windows. I guess that will have to be my next modification, however I'm not happy with the $300 quote to do it I received 6months ago.
Awesome!

Have to say, I love your sig pic though. Very clean!

I have 15% Front Doors, 5% Rear Doors and Back Glass, 40% Windshield, 5% Glare Strip at top of windshield and 40% on both Sunroof Glass. My price $275

Edit:
My sig is not showing for me. I notice that sometimes on posts. Can you see it?

Last edited by TintNinja; 12-30-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...item3a61cfebf4
Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Awesome!

Have to say, I love your sig pic though. Very clean!

I have 15% Front Doors, 5% Rear Doors and Back Glass, 40% Windshield, 5% Glare Strip at top of windshield and 40% on both Sunroof Glass. My price $275

Edit:
My sig is not showing for me. I notice that sometimes on posts. Can you see it?

The signature will only post with your first entry for the thread, thereafter it will be blank.

I can see your Maxima, it looks very nice!!!
Have you considered adding the lower valence trim? It's a simple modification that really completes the front of the car. (Look for it under the pinned threads).

Since the photo of mine was taken I've done a few more modifications such as the the 2nd above the glass spoiler, Lamin-X fog light covers and the overhaul of the LEDs. I have also added the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires since the OEMs were not safe for Upstate NY Winter weather. After seeing your photo I will plan on adding the tinting in the next month or so.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

The signature will only post with your first entry for the thread, thereafter it will be blank.

I can see your Maxima, it looks very nice!!!
Have you considered adding the lower valence trim? It's a simple modification that really completes the front of the car. (Look for it under the pinned threads).

Since the photo of mine was taken I've done a few more modifications such as the the 2nd above the glass spoiler, Lamin-X fog light covers and the overhaul of the LEDs. I have also added the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires since the OEMs were not safe for Upstate NY Winter weather. After seeing your photo I will plan on adding the tinting in the next month or so.
Oh ok.

Thanks!

I saw that modification. Want to do it, just haven't had time.

No matter how good your car may look, tint makes any car look 10 times better! You should see a frontal shot with the windshield tinted. Looks sick and way more aggressive! I'll have to post a pic...

I also read about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and am interested in getting a set. I thought to just get the DW instead of DWS since I live in Vegas and it never snows but they are actually a little more expensive for some reason.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Here you go with all my new LEDs installed:

(don't mind the messy trunk, in Upstate you have to be prepared to be stranded on the road)

Beautiful night out

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM

(don't mind the messy trunk, in Upstate you have to be prepared to be stranded on the road)

Beautiful night out

HOLY crap those are bright!!! And these are the WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED's from the link you sent earlier?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Beautiful night out
WOW! Lovin the pictures! I miss my DSLR! What camera is that?

Originally Posted by spidgeon
HOLY crap those are bright!!! And these are the WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED's from the link you sent earlier?
I'm sure they are pretty bright, but don't let the SLR Camera fool you lol

Taking pictures with a professional photography camera can be pretty fun. Setting the camera to leave the shutter open for longer then a quick click captures the light for longer making it appear brighter then it actually is. Although you will need a tripod for this or a stable surface whereas if the camera moves, it will not be clear.

Notice where there is a light it has a star effect like it's shimmering. That's one way to tell. You can make the night seem like its just getting dark.

Ricko, not raggin just educating a lil bit from what I know. Don't want people to be disappointed if they order these bulbs and not what they expect lol

The pictures look awesome!

Hey, also. I checked my Window Tint Law List and it showed in NY you're only allowed 70% on the front and rear doors (which is basically what's in the glass) and as dark as you'd like on the back window. Is NY strict on this?

Last edited by TintNinja; 12-30-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 AM

WOW! Lovin the pictures! I miss my DSLR! What camera is that?

I'm sure they are pretty bright, but don't let the SLR Camera fool you lol

Taking pictures with a professional photography camera can be pretty fun. Setting the camera to leave the shutter open for longer then a quick click captures the light for longer making it appear brighter then it actually is. Although you will need a tripod for this or a stable surface whereas if the camera moves, it will not be clear.

Notice where there is a light it has a star effect like it's shimmering. That's one way to tell. You can make the night seem like its just getting dark.

Ricko, not raggin just educating a lil bit from what I know. Don't want people to be disappointed if they order these bulbs and not what they expect lol

The pictures look awesome!

Hey, also. I checked my Window Tint Law List and it showed in NY you're only allowed 70% on the front and rear doors (which is basically what's in the glass) and as dark as you'd like on the back window. Is NY strict on this?
@spidgeon: Yes the "WHITE 5K SMT HIGH POWER LED" I posted earlier.

The camera I use is a Nikon D5000 (18mm-55mm lens) mounted on a tripod.

The LEDs are bright but like TintNinja made reference with a DSLR you have a lot more capabilities to manipulate photos. What I mean by this is by tweaking the settings on the camera you can certainly make it look brighter than it is. These LEDs however are brighter with a crisp/slick white color to it than the one's sold by LEDBULBZ on eBay (famous for the all around Maxima LED replacement kit).

The tint law in NY is in fact very absurd however I haven't seen / heard many people getting harassed by having illegal tint. I'm pretty sure if you drive up to a cop with limo tint you'd probably would get pulled over for it.

I think if you apply let's say a more conservative 40/50% tint that you could easily get away with it. Plus if you not doing something else stupid (speeding/road rage/etc.) that gives them a motive to stop you, then you should be fine.

I'm planing for 50% all around (except windshield), let's hope it looks somewhat decent.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM

Go V-LED or go home.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Let me give you a bit of feedback beforehand that might help other members as well.

I had originally bought a total LED replacement kit from eBay and definitely would not recommend it. The majority of the LEDs have a blue hue to it (6K color) and just looks out of place.

About the LEDs these fit perfectly and the output is a true white (5K) color. The car looks much nicer/slicker and since then I have gone ahead and ordered additional replacements for the remainder lights.

Btw V-LEDs is based in Washington State yet I received my LEDs all the way out here in the NY in 2 days and the packaging was very secure/professional.

I'm not affiliated with V-LEDS.com in any way I am just very pleased about the outcome after dealing with them.
So I just want to make sure before I order these... Your ordered all of these bulbs the same for the doors, license plate, foot well, and map lights correct? Thank you!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
So I just want to make sure before I order these... Your ordered all of these bulbs the same for the doors, license plate, foot well, and map lights correct? Thank you!
Yes, the same bulbs for doors, license plate, foot well and map dome lights.
They are different for the trunk and vanity.

Please before you order make sure you read my post above regarding camera manipulation.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you RICKO i decided to order my led light from V-LED for my max
and i`ll order as you said same bulbs for interior and license plate but can you give me the
link for trunk and vanity.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxima lover
Thank you RICKO i decided to order my led light from V-LED for my max and i`ll order as you said same bulbs for interior and license plate but can you give me the link for trunk and vanity.
You're very welcome!

Trunk with socket 194-10 (you need 1): HP LED 5K WHITE MULTI SOCKET 158 168 194 906 921 3175 211 1895 1156 57 http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...00874-2-1.html

Vanity (you need 4x!): HI POWER SMT 3 LED HID 5K WHITE VANITY LIGHT BULB http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/V...-p7114848.html

The only light I have not changed is the glovebox but I haven't bothered to find out what bulb it takes.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, the same bulbs for doors, license plate, foot well and map dome lights.
They are different for the trunk and vanity.

Please before you order make sure you read my post above regarding camera manipulation.
My trunk bulb looked like the same fit as the rest in the car, it just came as an LED panel (which I highly recommend for the trunk and possibly foot wells) instead.

Also, I do not recommend getting the vanity/visor white LED's...they blind the crap out of anyone who tries to use the visor...in fact you may get a pretty negative reaction from your girlfriend like I did...lol.

I'm going to try angling them different, maybe pointing the LED itself to the sides or something...or else I'm going back to the pale yellow bulb...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi Ricko how are you?? hope you are good
i was puzzled to take LED becuse my interior color
is (Premium Café Latte Leather) what do you think??
Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by maxima lover
hi Ricko how are you?? hope you are good
i was puzzled to take LED becuse my interior color
is (Premium Café Latte Leather) what do you think??
In my opinion if I had the Café Latte Leather I think I would keep the original bulbs in place. My thought is the slight hint of yellow of regular bulbs compliment the leather appearance / color.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^^
thanks alot Ricko and like what i thought
i will change just the license plate^^
Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM

ok so pardon my ignorance im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff but how do I even begin to change the license plate bulbs. I see the doors r easy enough, but I cant see how to do the trunk? Help please!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 PM

You need to remove the inner lining of the trunk which is held in place by push pins and two plastic bumpers. These come off by using a flat blade screw driver to pry them loose.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM

good lookin Ricko I asked the question a lil prematurely tho since I looked at the how to forum and figured it all out. Order my lights for autolumination and vleds but the vleds are on back order. My other one should be here tomorow!! Geeked
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by danielevans83
I got mine off Ebay and they work EXTREMELY well and are a very nice bright white. They are so bright it illuminates my entire bumper and a foot or two of ground behind my car as well! Maybe go with a single LED version if they have it, mine have 5 LEDs and it's way overkill. At least for the license plate anyway.

Hi Fellas,

Have a question. I bought the V-LEDS HID WHITE 4 M-SMT 2W HIGH POWER BULBS 194 168 158 from v-LEDs.com. I went to go put the bulb in and it has a white strap around the chip. Do we remove it before I put it on? I tired to shove it in and it was a little difficult. I ended up just cutting it off. Not sure if it's alwright to do?

One last request. Where the heck did you get those DRL LED's on the side of the FOGS?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Got the led strips from vleds.com
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks man the car looks sharp... I have it saved as a wallpaper on my desktop!!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ANYONE??

Have a question. I bought the V-LEDS HID WHITE 4 M-SMT 2W HIGH POWER BULBS 194 168 158 from v-LEDs.com. I went to go put the bulb in and it has a white strap around the chip. Do we remove it before I put it on? I tired to shove it in and it was a little difficult. I ended up just cutting it off. Not sure if it's alwright to do?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dieselhomey
Thanks man the car looks sharp... I have it saved as a wallpaper on my desktop!!
Thanks playa! Funny you say that cause I got my wallpaper rotating through a bunch of pictures of different Max's from this forum. Sexy car.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

how did you do your wiring? also did you just 3m double side tapped it?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 PM

how did you do your wiring? also did you just 3m double side tapped it?
I had to jack the car up and pull the wheel off to get the fender lining out. From there you can work on all the headlight wires easily. I used "tap in" connectors from radio shack that let you splice into the existing wires without needing to strip them or anything, easily removable too. I wrapped mine up nicely with electric tape afterwards to waterproof them.

The LED strips came with adhesive backing built-in. Since my install I've actually taken off my chrome addition on the bottom grill (and blacked out the upper grill) so I'm thinking of relocating mine to the front of the part sticking out. Right now they're mounted above that.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NICE... very cool... I will do exactly that...

So I bought door, dome, and trunk LEDS. from v-leds. I finally put them in, I already asked this from the sales rep and awaiting his reply.

all the bulbs seem like they are 194 sockets. I went with the bulb guide which gave different bulb numbers. The bulb 194_X5_HP_W_6K is the brightest i've ever seen.

194_5_SMT_W_6K and 194_4_HPF_W_6 are the dome lights and trunk lights as suggested by the Bulb Guide.

I was wondering if 194_X5_HP_W_6K can be used in the dome and trunk?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM

NICE... very cool... I will do exactly that...

So I bought door, dome, and trunk LEDS. from v-leds. I finally put them in, I already asked this from the sales rep and awaiting his reply.

all the bulbs seem like they are 194 sockets. I went with the bulb guide which gave different bulb numbers. The bulb 194_X5_HP_W_6K is the brightest i've ever seen.

194_5_SMT_W_6K and 194_4_HPF_W_6 are the dome lights and trunk lights as suggested by the Bulb Guide.

I was wondering if 194_X5_HP_W_6K can be used in the dome and trunk?
I got one of those kits off eBay that has all the lights for every spot in the car almost and they were all identical to each other. The trunk had a circuit board LED instead of a normal LED but that's it.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM

WOW

Wow Ricko & Daniel - your cars are smoking!!!!

Let me introduce myself - my name is Dom new to the maxima family - just picked up yesterday my 2011 Max 3.5SV w Premium/Tech package. This was a nice upgrade after having an Altima 2.5 for 3yrs I must say Ricko - your car looks good w all the LEDs. I'm really tempted in doing that myself - but not sure how easy it is. I know the first thing I want to do is change the bulb for the license plate and def want to do the cabin/door/trunk too

Daniel - love the LEDs next to the fog lights. Would love to get them on mine too. I guess that neither one of you live near Bklyn, NY and would love to help a brother out? Here is a quick screenshot of my ride taken with my Blackberry

Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks homie, you got a nice whip yourself it only takes a few subtle mods to set them off right. And yeah hell of an upgrade from my Sentra SE-R Spec V...

The LED change out is actually very easy, you can do the entire job using just a butter knife and maybe 15 minutes. I changed mine out first week I got my car. As everyone says you get what you pay for with LEDs so be careful with real cheap ones on eBay, they might burn out or be not very bright.

Unfortunately no I don't live near Brooklyn or I'd help ya out; but I think you're going to love this forum. There are guides on everything. Here are a few links for you bro - welcome to the forum.

Hamzer mods - how to install LED strips, change headlight bulbs

Guide to installing interior LED bulbs

Originally Posted by dieseldom
Wow Ricko & Daniel - your cars are smoking!!!!

Let me introduce myself - my name is Dom new to the maxima family - just picked up yesterday my 2011 Max 3.5SV w Premium/Tech package. This was a nice upgrade after having an Altima 2.5 for 3yrs I must say Ricko - your car looks good w all the LEDs. I'm really tempted in doing that myself - but not sure how easy it is. I know the first thing I want to do is change the bulb for the license plate and def want to do the cabin/door/trunk too

Daniel - love the LEDs next to the fog lights. Would love to get them on mine too. I guess that neither one of you live near Bklyn, NY and would love to help a brother out? Here is a quick screenshot of my ride taken with my Blackberry

Quick Reply: LED License Plate lights?