7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

HamZer11's Mods (keeping it subtle)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 PM

HamZer11's Mods (keeping it subtle)

I wanted to keep one place to post my mods so figured I create my own thread. There's just too many threads to post the different updates into.

Got the car on lease so the mods will be limited but here goes:

Bought the car in July- stock pictures:

Upgraded to LED kit from ebay for interior lights:
They are not blue, its just the pictures

Got in on the HappyBuyitNow rear window spoiler group buy. Sorry only have install pics, will get regular pics up soon

Upgraded front lower grille trim based on a member's thread here: Notice the middle chrome as well as the surround

Rear Turn Signals and reverse lights changed to LED:

Full write-up for the rear and more pics here:
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ulbs-leds.html

Last edited by hamzer11; 10-07-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM

Upgraded lights
LED front signal/parking lights - Amber/White from VLED
LED front corner light - White
Both side load resistors
LED parking light strips - White
Yellow Nokya fog bulbs

Pictures are off a little but the lights match up great. The HID headlights are a little bit bluer but not noticeable

Last edited by hamzer11; 08-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Thank for looking I will try to keep it up to date
Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Looks sweet dude, everything is perfect.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM

looks good everything is perfect but to me i think the fogs should atleast be 8000 but thats my 2 cents i think it matches more with car color enjoy your MAX
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Everything looking good hamzer!!! I was gonna say in a earlier post you should update you sig pics with all the new mods. Really like the grill! Haven't seen one at night like yours yet. Perfect man!~ Also i see you have opted for the nyc license plates. Did you get them after you got your original orange plates?? Just wondering how that works. I want to get them as well.

Last edited by keon718nyc; 08-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I should really update my signature. I haven't had a chance to make one.

As far as the color of the fogs, I went back and forth but I really like yellow fogs. I know what you mean by going with the color though. Maybe I will reconsider sometime in the future.

Keon, for the plates you go the NYS DMV website and select custom plates, you can either keep the same # and have the NY plate or do both things custom. Takes about 4-6 weeks to get it though. I could not stand the ugly new plates, worth every penny for a cleaner looking plate.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Yes, make sure you check. Those are the best reverse led lights. The vleds 19 smt reverse leds. Really awesome.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:49 PM

hamzer where did you get the led lights that you put in the opening next to the fog lights
Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Nice, keep up the great work
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Looks good.how did you select the turn signals in led? Did you need a new digital flasher to keep them from flashing to fast? I want to do my front and rear flashers in led but not sure if we need a new flasher relay ?
also thise who have leds in the rear map light let me know if you can see a slight glow from them at night when all the lights are off?mine seem to be lit slightly.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by nissan lover
hamzer where did you get the led lights that you put in the opening next to the fog lights
I got 6" strips from vled. They are only like $5 each. It's tight fit with the connecter being slightly bent but its holding up fine. The 3m tape seems solid on them.

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Nice, keep up the great work
Thanks

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
Looks good.how did you select the turn signals in led? Did you need a new digital flasher to keep them from flashing to fast? I want to do my front and rear flashers in led but not sure if we need a new flasher relay ?
also thise who have leds in the rear map light let me know if you can see a slight glow from them at night when all the lights are off?mine seem to be lit slightly.
I picked turn signals for the front that would be white while running and amber when signaling. I had these in the past and they are great. Our maximas are wired so that you need the CK bulb because of the type of connection. This limited my options. I went with a 72 led option (pretty expensive) from Vled. The bulb runs white until you signal. Then the white turns off and the amber will flash. There is a slight delay when you stop signaling for the white to kick back in but very slight. To stop the flashing I used the 3 ohm load resistors from VLED. You can get 6ohm if you are only doing the rear bulbs. I am doing front and rear so I got the 3 ohm. Resistor is very easy to install. One side splices into the positive (signal bulb) and the other into the ground wire. I don't see a glow from any of the interior leds when off.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 AM

Very nice.you have a link to where you got the vled blinkers from? This is a very helpful thread.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Very nice.you have a link to where you got the vled blinkers from? This is a very helpful thread.
Sure, if you mean the load resistors:

3 OHM

6 OHM

LED Strips 5K

LED Strips 6K

Last edited by hamzer11; 08-30-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM

great mods; i am thinking about doing some of what you have done myself....just dont have the time =0(
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
Sure, if you mean the load resistors:

3 OHM

6 OHM

LED Strips 5K

LED Strips 6K

I am really interested in doing these LED lights on the bottom of my bumper. Do you think you could do a quick write up of how you installed everything. I have never used load resistors or capacitors before. I am not sure where you powered these LED lights from. It sounds like from the turn signals.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I also just leased a maxima and would like to do the LEDs ..looking good..
Last time I tried wiring something in my last car I fried my satellite radio ..
What do u have it hooked to? Do u have a separate switch to turn the LEDs on or do u have them hooked up to your parking lights?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Hey hamzer, for those fog lights, did you have to put in a ballast or u just swapped out the bulbs?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bmanbmv
I am really interested in doing these LED lights on the bottom of my bumper. Do you think you could do a quick write up of how you installed everything. I have never used load resistors or capacitors before. I am not sure where you powered these LED lights from. It sounds like from the turn signals.
Originally Posted by StonedCL
I also just leased a maxima and would like to do the LEDs ..looking good..
Last time I tried wiring something in my last car I fried my satellite radio ..
What do u have it hooked to? Do u have a separate switch to turn the LEDs on or do u have them hooked up to your parking lights?
I will do a quick write up tomorrow for you guys. It's wired into the parking lights for a quick answer. I will show include the load resistors hook-up also.

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214
Hey hamzer, for those fog lights, did you have to put in a ballast or u just swapped out the bulbs?
Mine are not HID so it was a basic bulb swap to Nokya yellow bulbs.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Nice, thanks alot for the response!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 AM

FRONT LED INSTALLATION WRITE-UP

As promised, here is a guide to installing the VLED LED strips and LED turn signals with load resistors. I borrowed a lot of images from VLED but since it’s their product I hope they don’t mind. Also, I did not disconnect the battery but it’s up to you if you want to for safety reasons. Finally, I am not a professional at these write-ups. Sorry if it’s a little crude and all I had was Paint to edit the pictures.

SUPPLIES:
  • Two of the LOAD RESISTORS below.
    3 OHM if changing front and rear to LED. 6 OHM if only changing either front or rear.
    3 OHM
    6 OHM

• Two of the LED STRIPS based on color preference:
    LED Strips 5K
    LED Strips 6K
  • Four connectors for the LED strips (These can be bought from RadioShack in a pack for pretty cheap):
    LED to Parking Light Connectors
  • Four connectors for extending the LED strip wire:
    Crimp Connectors
  • Plyers
  • Electrical Tape
  • Basic Screwdrivers

STEP 1:

First you want to remove the tire and fold back the inner fender lining. This is the only way to have easy access to the wiring. I wish I could tell off Nissan for making changing bulbs in a car so difficult.

Step 2: Changing Light Bulbs
These are the two sockets for the Signal\Running combo light (the bigger Socket on the left) and the small parking light (smaller socket to the right).
A= Signal\Running Light
B= Parking Light
C= Several ground wires (these will come in handy instead of splicing into the socket ground wire)

Replacing bulbs (sorry no pics)
Remove Socket A and replace the bulb (3157 CK style bulb) with the LED bulb. Turn on your parking lights and make sure you get the constant light to work. Then turn on your hazards and make sure the signal part of the LED is working. Do not put the sockets back into the light because it’s easier to work with the wires while out.

Remove Socket B. Replace the LED wedge (194) bulb and make sure it lights up by turning on the parking lights. If it doesn’t work, remove it, flip it over and try again. Once it works, turn off the lights. Do not put the socket back in the light because it’s easier to work with the wires while out.

Step 3: INSTALLING THE LOAD RESISTORS

VLED load resistors come with the “Scothlok” quick connect connectors. They are similar to the blue ones pictures above. The connectors had two holes. One is closed on one end and the other is open so wire can pass straight through. The OPEN ended side is for the FACTORY wire you are splicing into. The CLOSED ended side is for the LOAD RESISTOR wire you are splicing with the factory wire.

To learn how to actually use the connectors please see the following page along with the video
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...-p7420629.html

(REFER TO PICTURE BELOW AS YOU READ THIS)
You want to install one of the ScotchLok connectors to the bottom (GREEN) wire on SOCKET A by placing the GREEN wire into the OPEN ended hole of the connector. Use the instructions from the link above to get the connector onto the wire and snap the connector closed. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE METAL PART YET. Now you want to push one end of the wire of the LOAD RESISTOR into the closed hole. NOW PRESS DOWN ON THE METAL PART WITH A PLYER. Make sure the metal part pushes all the way down. Close the connector across the top. I put some electric tape around it just to secure it well. This completes the positive side.

Repeat the steps above with any of the GROUND wires (Letter C in the diagram).

Now secure the LOAD RESISTOR with MOUNTING TAPE to the fender bracket right behind the lights (see pic)

That’s it. Test by using your turn signal. If installed correctly you should have normal flashing.
Reinstall the socket back into the light and repeat on the other side.

Step 4: INSTALLING THE LED STRIPS

Clean the insert next to the fog light with alcohol.
Peel the backing off the LED strip and begin by sticking the plain side (the one without the connector) to the inner corner and working out to the connector side. (SEE PICTURE FOR BETTER EXPLANATION).

Run the wire behind the bumper through one of the holes in the mesh of the insert.

The wire that comes with these is not long enough to reach the parking light wires (Connector B above). You will have to extend the wire. I had some automotive standard gauge wire that I added allowing the wire to reach Connector B.

Something like the picture below but I used crimp connectors so no soldering or shrink tubing. These do not have a heavy load and should be fine. You will have to add some wiring to both POSTIVE (solid black wire) and NEGATIVE (striped wire). Seal off the connection well with electrical tape.

Now you want to use the extra SPLICING CONNECTORS and attach the POSTIVE wire coming from the LED strip to the GREEN wire of Connector B in the picture below. This should go exactly like the load resistor install. The GREEN wire will go into the open ended side and the positive wire of the LED strip will go into the closed ended side. Crimp down and close the connector.

Using the same type of connector run the GROUND wire of the LED strip to any ground wire of Connector C.

Do the same for the other side and you are done.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Awesome write up. This is going to be my next project for my car. I think this needs to be added to the "HOW TO INSTALLATION STICKY". Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 PM

To install just the LED strips, can it be done without removing anything? Is there space to run the wire without drilling?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Great write up!
Any hints about the rear turn signals? How easy is it to get to the tail lights?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bmanbmv
Awesome write up. This is going to be my next project for my car. I think this needs to be added to the "HOW TO INSTALLATION STICKY". Thanks
Thank you. No problem if it needs to be moved.

Originally Posted by Car Addict
To install just the LED strips, can it be done without removing anything? Is there space to run the wire without drilling?
I don't think so. You have to tap into one of the parking light wires. Not sure how you would do that without removing the tire.

Originally Posted by Ricko
Great write up!
Any hints about the rear turn signals? How easy is it to get to the tail lights?

Thanks!
Thanks. I will be adding the rears soon. I have to install mine still. Got too tired. I was working in the blazing sun on one of those 90+ degree days while fasting (no food or water). I might do the rear lights tomorrow. Going with RED rear signals and bright reverse lights.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Hamzer....nice work. Car looking good. Post some pics to get those tail lights off...I tried on mine but no luck...i took the 2 screws out..but for some reason the tail lights wont come out..
I'm Queens Village, so if u in the area any day..drop me a "pm"..so i can take a 1st hand look at the WHIP..
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 AM

There are two clips from what I can tell having looked at pics of the lights removed. You know those metal clips that they have when removing the interior pieces. Looks like they will have to be yanked real hard. Didn't get to do it this weekend. Will try for next. I really want to complete it. I'm in Floral Park mostly. Will let you know if I'm going to be around your way.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 AM

I wanted to keep one place to post my mods so figured I create my own thread. There's just too many threads to post the different updates into.

Got the car on lease so the mods will be limited but here goes:

Bought the car in July- stock pictures:

Upgraded to LED kit from ebay for interior lights:
They are not blue, its just the pictures

Got in on the HappyBuyitNow rear window spoiler group buy. Sorry only have install pics, will get regular pics up soon

Upgraded front lower grille trim based on a member's thread here: Notice the middle chrome as well as the surround

Rear Turn Signals and reverse lights changed to LED:

Full write-up for the rear and more pics here:
Everything looks good. I have a couple of questions though. Where did you get your lower grill to match you upper one? and where did you get the LEDs to replace you factory bulbs in the head and tail lights and which ones did you get? I guess what I asking for is a quick list of what you have and where you got it all from for everyones benifit.

Last edited by Nightassassin45; 10-29-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nightassassin45
Everything looks good. I have a couple of questions though. Where did you get your lower grill to match you upper one? and where did you get the LEDs to replace you factory bulbs in the head and tail lights and which ones did you get? I guess what I asking for is a quick list of what you have and where you got it all from for everyones benifit.
First, can you edit your quote and remove the picture links. It's just too many reposted pics that way.

The grille is not actually replaced. I bought 3/4" chrome molding and put it across the middle and around the opening. This was based on a wonderful thread started by another member.
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...imple-mod.html

There is a another good thread with the replacement numbers for the bulbs in our cars.
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...b-listing.html

I purchased the front signal and fog light strips from V-LED. It's the expensive as heck amber/white switchback bulb. Make sure you get the CK style.
The write-up is in this thread already

The interior, license plate and front marker lights are all from the ebay led kit

You can find info on the rear turn signals and reverse bulb here:

Let me know if you need more specifics.

Oh and the fogs are Nokya brand from Amazon @ stock wattage. Very happy with these.

Couple of things though, I would get better reverse bulbs if I had to do it again, these are okay but not bright enough in my opinion. Same for the license plate bulbs and the front marker light bulbs, they are more blueish than white. I might replace these in the spring.

Last edited by hamzer11; 10-16-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Great looking mods by the way Hamzer, lovin' it. One question for you regarding the LED strip on the lower side grill areas. Where did you mount the LED strip to? I noticed you did the chrome mod on the lower grill areas, which I'm looking to do as well, but can't tell how you mounted the LED strip there to not interfere with or cover up the chrome pieces you added. Did you mount the LED strip in that location facing towards the sky? Or did you just mount it on the front?

Oh also one quick question about Autoillumination.com - are the orders there for a single bulb or pairs of bulbs? It doesn't seem to clarify and I'd hate to order one of each and end up getting a single bulb if that's the case.

Last edited by Ghozt; 12-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Here is a question for you all.Those who have all exterior leds done do you notice after your hazards or turns signals being on for a few minutes you can see the parking light bleed through o nthe CK type bulb?It looks likre a glitch after the hazards been on for more than 5min.Usually the white parking light will stay off during blinkier action,but after a few minutes of continuous blinking the white parking light trys to come on and makes it look out of sync and glitchy.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM

Awesome Info man, great write up! More mods now added to my growing list
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dubl-A
Awesome Info man, great write up! More mods now added to my growing list
No problem. Thanks for the compliment. I am laying low because of the winter. Gotta see what I will do more once the spring comes around.

Here is a question for you all.Those who have all exterior leds done do you notice after your hazards or turns signals being on for a few minutes you can see the parking light bleed through o nthe CK type bulb?It looks likre a glitch after the hazards been on for more than 5min.Usually the white parking light will stay off during blinkier action,but after a few minutes of continuous blinking the white parking light trys to come on and makes it look out of sync and glitchy.
I will have to check this out. There are definitely glitches on the switchover CK bulb that I never had on my old standard switch over. Especially the delay in the parking light after you turn off the signal.

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Great looking mods by the way Hamzer, lovin' it. One question for you regarding the LED strip on the lower side grill areas. Where did you mount the LED strip to? I noticed you did the chrome mod on the lower grill areas, which I'm looking to do as well, but can't tell how you mounted the LED strip there to not interfere with or cover up the chrome pieces you added. Did you mount the LED strip in that location facing towards the sky? Or did you just mount it on the front?

Oh also one quick question about Autoillumination.com - are the orders there for a single bulb or pairs of bulbs? It doesn't seem to clarify and I'd hate to order one of each and end up getting a single bulb if that's the case.
I did not put chrome on the little vent area where I put the led strips. Instead I just mounted the led strips using their backing. It's been holding up good so far.
I believe Autolumination lists their bulbs as individual but I haven't checked recently. I believe it says "ea" next to the price meaning each bulb.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM

I did not put chrome on the little vent area where I put the led strips. Instead I just mounted the led strips using their backing. It's been holding up good so far.
Oh, so you mounted the LED strip to the black part right above where you mounted the Chrome strips? Or am I under the incorrect impression that you put chrome trim all the way across the bottom bumper, and you only actually did it in the center piece?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Great work on the take off mods man, especially on a leased car.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

looking good
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Oh, so you mounted the LED strip to the black part right above where you mounted the Chrome strips? Or am I under the incorrect impression that you put chrome trim all the way across the bottom bumper, and you only actually did it in the center piece?
Yeah, I mounted the strips right on the black part. I only did the chrome in the area under the grille. What I did different was to put the chrome strip around the opening as well as across the middle.

Originally Posted by Hamchan
Great work on the take off mods man, especially on a leased car.
Thanks. Having a lease is limiting so I do the best I can.

Originally Posted by houston_7
looking good
Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the great write-up Hamzer, it was extremely helpful when doing some of these mods. I must have spent an hour wiring in the load resistors; I got one side working fine but went to duplicate the work on the other side and couldn't get it to work. Finally figured out that the wiring was opposite from the other side of the car so I eventually tried the other green wire and it worked.

I did the inexpensive mod chrome strip, but did it all the way across including the both small areas in the corners. I installed the 6" 6k LED strips right above that and stuck them to the black part right above the chrome strip. Looks nice cause you mostly see the chrome strips during the day and then mostly the LEDs at night.

Going to go back in there in a week or so and finish waterproofing all my splices so I don't run into issues in the future. Thanks again for the write-up and the work it took to get together Hamzer, much appreciated!!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM

wow!!! looks like everyone has this led mod by the fog light now.. this call for a new look for my max now.. gotta stand different...haha
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM

I've been seeing a lot of cars with aftermarket led's damn near about to falling off, mismatched led bulbs, or leds half lit. Pretty funny sometimes.

Quick Reply: HamZer11's Mods (keeping it subtle)