7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY TPMS reset tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM

DIY TPMS reset tool

I am currently considering buying this tool to reset our TPMS sensors. The cost is 150.00 which would pay for itself in one season. Anyone know where the OBDII connection is on the 09?

Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Put your hand under the lower edge of the dash to the left of the steering column and about two inches to the right of the parking brake pedal. Whoop, dere it is.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM

yup its right next to "e-brake" lol i think nissan renamed it to "parking break" when they came out with the CVT lolol...

let us know if it works because im looking to get one also
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Dad

Ditto here. I figure I'd use it 20 times for rotations alone. Paid for after just 2.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dad
Ditto here. I figure I'd use it 20 times for rotations alone. Paid for after just 2.
I wouldn't think you would have to reset it after rotating????
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Maxima
I wouldn't think you would have to reset it after rotating????

Nor would I. I had only expected to have to deal with the TPMS light when I mounted a new set of tires, and was hopeful that, even then, the TPMS light would go out on its own after a few days of driving.

Now those into replacement rims? That is a different story.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dad
Are you referring to rotating between winter and summer tires/wheels? As for regular rotations you don't have to do anything with the TPMS.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Waiting on wheels

I ordered the reset tool yesterday and the wheels the day before. I should get the tool early enough to play with it and learn my soon to be winter wheels. I will then change to my summer wheels to take some pics for the Org. and to test out the reset tool. I should have at least two months of good weather before switching back to the stock 18's.

P.S. Can someone tell me how to explain the 1800.00 wheel package that she will probably have to sign for. " Lucy, I got some splaining to do". HAHAHAH
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by tmiller02

P.S. Can someone tell me how to explain the 1800.00 wheel package that she will probably have to sign for. " Lucy, I got some splaining to do". HAHAHAH

Now aren't you glad you insisted on getting the finest dog house for Phydeaux? He will keep you warm and comfy when Lucy sends you there.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Dad

Originally Posted by Dad
Sorry guys. I've been washing down handfulls of antihistamines with whole bottles of NyQuil. Stupid flu.

I meant rotating the winter and summer sets. I've got em and they need to be reset in the Spring for the summer meat (yea! ) and then at Christmas for the Winter treads (boo! ).

I figured I'd save about $1000 over a 10 year ownership span.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM

I guess I'm missing something....wouldn't a OBDII scanner reset the TPMS indicator as well or is a dedicated "tool" required to reset TPMS codes???
Granted I haven't taken my Scanner to my Max yet but I don't believe I paid more than a buck fifty for that tool that I would think could reset the TPMS as well as give other diags (it works on my brides old Grand Cherokees TPMS/OBDII)
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM

The BullyDog Power Pup is able to read diag codes and reset check engine lights... would it be able to do this function as well?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM

I am currently considering buying this tool to reset our TPMS sensors. The cost is 150.00 which would pay for itself in one season. Anyone know where the OBDII connection is on the 09?

I can't see the pic. I do see that Tire Rack is offering a tool:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111

Although I note this:

"Additionally, the following vehicles need their sensors registered at the dealership unless an OBDII tool is also used to put the vehicle into TPMS learn mode and search for the new sensors:"

Nissan is listed following.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Recieved reset tool today

I will hook it uo tomorrow and program my winter (factory) wheels. I should have the new wheels next week to do the swap and give it the real test.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Dad

Dealers have the $1500 scanner wand to hold up to the wheel and aquire the tpms id code.

This DIY tool does not have that right? So you have to already have written down somewhere the tpms ID code for each wheel, at each corner, to manually input into the DIY tool. Then the DIY tool tells the OBDII what IDs are at what corner. If you do not know the sensor's id, you have to have the dealership scan the numbers for you.

Right?

And once you get those precious id numbers for that wheel, you had better tag that wheel somehow or you'll be back at the dealer every season until you buy your own wand.

Right?

If I'm right, all we have to do is get each summer and winter wheels tagged with their tpms number and we're good to go with the DIY tool.

What's the best way to tag a wheel?
Glue an engraved id tag on the wheel?
Stamp the soft lead with a number 1 thru 8?
Soldering iron and brand the tire wall with a 1-8 number?

Last edited by Dad; 09-05-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 PM

sensor id's

The reset tool will pick up the factory id #'s from the car's computer. When I bought my wheels I asked them to tape the id card from each sensor to the wheel so all I have to do is input them into the reset tool. If you don't have them you will have to take it to the dealer once to get the numbers. A reputable dealer should do this for you cheap!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I guess I'm missing something....wouldn't a OBDII scanner reset the TPMS indicator as well or is a dedicated "tool" required to reset TPMS codes???
Granted I haven't taken my Scanner to my Max yet but I don't believe I paid more than a buck fifty for that tool that I would think could reset the TPMS as well as give other diags (it works on my brides old Grand Cherokees TPMS/OBDII)
Wonder this as well. My OBDII scanner was only $70.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM

At one point in time I was going to be in the market for one of these scanners but then I got hired and I am moving back to SAN ANTONIO!!!!! SO I will be out of this cold crap weather of Missouri and won't have to keep switching back and forth from my Vossen VVS-078 rims to my stock 19's!!! NO MORE MISSOURI WINTER FOR ME!!!! Now I am thinking of selling my damn near brand new set of stock 19" Nissan MAX rims......Good luck with the scanner I hope it works out and pays for itself!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM

It works

I ordered the reset tool yesterday and the wheels the day before. I should get the tool early enough to play with it and learn my soon to be winter wheels. I will then change to my summer wheels to take some pics for the Org. and to test out the reset tool. I should have at least two months of good weather before switching back to the stock 18's.

I just reset mine using the 150.00 Ateq quick reset tool. PC installation was a little buggy, but other than that , it worked like a charm. If this light bugs the crap out of you like it did me. Get One--It Works.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM

I just reset mine using the 150.00 Ateq quick reset tool. PC installation was a little buggy, but other than that , it worked like a charm. If this light bugs the crap out of you like it did me. Get One--It Works.
Can you provide more details on how the ATEQ tool works? were you able to re-register each TPMS with the tool?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:00 PM

operation

Originally Posted by dkmura
Can you provide more details on how the ATEQ tool works? were you able to re-register each TPMS with the tool?
Very simply:
1. Load software and plug into USB port on PC

2. Follow instructions on PC screen

3. Remove from USB and plug into car

4. push summer or winter button on device (whichever tires are on at the time)

5. Remove from car and plug back into PC

6. Software will tell you what codes it picked up from car

7. Save( now you have saved winter or summer codes on the device)

8. When you get new tires with TPMS manually load codes into the device by PC)

9. Plug in device and push the winter or summer button (which every tires are on)

10. Alarm will reset ( That's it)

Instructions can be downloaded at Ateq.com/tpms-reset
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks for this guide. I'll be changing rims for the first time this winter so I may be using this info!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Dad

Thanks for the Ateq review. That is my Christmas wish list (of all things!).

I have a new wheel/snow tire/sensor package waiting to go on December 24th.

But how do you handle the data for a new sensor package? Don't you have to have written down the codes off the sensors to manually put them into the Ateq the first time?

I did write down the codes and tag the wheels as to which are which code. But without that info I quess you now have to pop the $50 to the dealer to scan for the codes so you can put them in manually right?

Isn't there a way to tag the rims with the internal sensor code so you don't slink over to the dealer? I'm thinking some kind of engraved tag or maybe stamp a number on the wheel and write down the code in the manual?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dad
Thanks for the Ateq review. That is my Christmas wish list (of all things!).

I have a new wheel/snow tire/sensor package waiting to go on December 24th.

But how do you handle the data for a new sensor package? Don't you have to have written down the codes off the sensors to manually put them into the Ateq the first time?

I did write down the codes and tag the wheels as to which are which code. But without that info I quess you now have to pop the $50 to the dealer to scan for the codes so you can put them in manually right?

Isn't there a way to tag the rims with the internal sensor code so you don't slink over to the dealer? I'm thinking some kind of engraved tag or maybe stamp a number on the wheel and write down the code in the manual?
When you buy aftermarket wheels have them tape the sensor id tag to the wheel. If you don't do this, yes you will have to take it to the dealer one time to read the sensor numbers.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 AM

Exclamation DIY TPMS RESET

After visiting the dealer today to reset/program my 19" sport wheels I just put on I observed what the Tech was doing I went home and did further investigating.Here is what I found.

It seems that every Nissan/Infiniti Equipt with OEM Schrader TPMS you can RESET/RELEARN anytime you want.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.I found mine 4 inches up and to the left inside the fuse box near your left knee.It is very short versus other vehicles I looked at.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts.Or push the push start button twice. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition on.Make sure it is a real ground and not just any metal you find.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure.

Step 9: MODS,PEASE make this a sticky!And give me a thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Exclamation Diagnostic Codes

Here is how to read the diagnostic codes:

The pressure sensors do not send signal to the BCM when the tires do not spin. After not getting a signal for a long time, the BCM triggers the light, thinking the sensors are no longer present.

If you just ground the TPMS pin, it will flash diagnostic codes. Depending on the number of flashes, it will report what malfunction is detected in the system.

Blinking
pattern
Items Diagnostic items detected when··· Check item
15 Tire pressure value (Front LH) Front LH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]

16 Tire pressure value (Front RH) Front RH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
17 Tire pressure value (Rear RH) Rear RH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
18 Tire pressure value (Rear LH) Rear LH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
21 Transmitter no data (Front LH) Data from front LH transmitter can not be receive.
WT-17
22 Transmitter no data (Front RH) Data from front RH transmitter can not be receive.
23 Transmitter no data (Rear RH) Data from Rear RH transmitter can not be receive.
24 Transmitter no data (Rear LH) Data from Rear LH transmitter can not be receive.
Transmitter checksum error
(Front LH)
Checksum data from front LH transmitter is malfunctioning.
WT-20
(Front RH)
Checksum data from front RH transmitter is malfunctioning.
(Rear RH)
Checksum data from rear RH transmitter is malfunctioning.
(Rear LH)
Transmitter pressure data error
(Front LH)
Air pressure data from front LH transmitter is malfunction.
WT-23
(Front RH)
Air pressure data from front RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear RH)
Air pressure data from rear RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear LH)
Air pressure data from rear LH transmitter is malfunction.
Transmitter function code error
(Front LH)
Function code data from front LH transmitter is malfunction.
WT-25
(Front RH)
Function code data from front RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear RH)
Function code data from rear RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear LH)
Function code data from rear LH transmitter is malfunction.
Blinking
pattern
Items Diagnostic items detected when··· Check item
15 Tire pressure value (Front LH) Front LH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]

16 Tire pressure value (Front RH) Front RH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
17 Tire pressure value (Rear RH) Rear RH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
18 Tire pressure value (Rear LH) Rear LH tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2, * psi) or less. [NOTE]
21 Transmitter no data (Front LH) Data from front LH transmitter can not be receive.
WT-17
22 Transmitter no data (Front RH) Data from front RH transmitter can not be receive.
23 Transmitter no data (Rear RH) Data from Rear RH transmitter can not be receive.
24 Transmitter no data (Rear LH) Data from Rear LH transmitter can not be receive.
(Front LH)
Checksum data from front LH transmitter is malfunctioning.
WT-20
(Front RH)
Checksum data from front RH transmitter is malfunctioning.
(Rear RH)
(Rear LH)
(Front LH)
Air pressure data from front LH transmitter is malfunction.
WT-23
(Front RH)
Air pressure data from front RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear RH)
Air pressure data from rear RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear LH)
Air pressure data from rear LH transmitter is malfunction.
(Front LH)
Function code data from front LH transmitter is malfunction.
WT-25
(Front RH)
Function code data from front RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear RH)
Function code data from rear RH transmitter is malfunction.
(Rear LH)
Function code data from rear LH transmitter is malfunction.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I picked up the ateq quickset. Haven't tried it yet as don't need the winters on yet but hope it works well. It is cool that this works but I am not quite as willing to cut the wires (aka chicken). This is definately a great option.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by gibbleguts
I picked up the ateq quickset. Haven't tried it yet as don't need the winters on yet but hope it works well. It is cool that this works but I am not quite as willing to cut the wires (aka chicken). This is definately a great option.
There's no wire cutting involved, maybye some tape to access the TPMS connector...

'naut, what color is the plug and wire you are grounding out?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

After you locate the white 2 pin connecter youll see it only has 1 wire in it.I think the wire is Yellow or white.Just stick a paper clip or small wire into the that 1 wire and tap it to a ground.I used my steering colum as it was in the area and a real ground. remember not all metal there is a ground.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Do these Ateq tools really work? This looks perfect for swapping on/off the summer rims but wasn't sure because I've never heard of this thing before.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have one and it has worked perfect so far. I have switched between summer and winter two times now and have had no problems. You just have to make sure you get the numbers from your factory sensors before you swap to the your aftermarket wheels and have the tire shop give you the numbers for your aftermarket. Just follow the directions and you will be good to go.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

I have factory 18s and factory 19s ill be switching between for now. Each has it own set of TPMS I just need to get the ones on my 19s to work and have the light go off. Which tool did you get from Ateq I see there's many types
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Bump for some updates...

Do you NEED the Ateq? can you just do the grounding thing?

Look here:

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...pms-reset.html
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 AM

I just had to do this again after my rotation this weekend. Worked like a charm. It took me 3 times to get it to initiate as I didnt time it right when putting it into learn mode. User error on my end as I was in a rush like always.But this is a great free tech tip for all.I hope others have used this instead of paying dealer to do it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Will this work to reset/sync the TPMS if I put on new wheels/tires with OROTEK TPM installed in them that have never been on the car before?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Has anyone successfully completed the DIY procedure with aftermarket TPMS? Figured I'd ask and find out before I attempt to do this.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Cool Manual TPMS reset process works!!!

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
After visiting the dealer today to reset/program my 19" sport wheels I just put on I observed what the Tech was doing I went home and did further investigating.Here is what I found.

It seems that every Nissan/Infiniti Equipt with OEM Schrader TPMS you can RESET/RELEARN anytime you want.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.I found mine 4 inches up and to the left inside the fuse box near your left knee.It is very short versus other vehicles I looked at.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts.Or push the push start button twice. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition on.Make sure it is a real ground and not just any metal you find.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure.

Step 9: MODS,PEASE make this a sticky!And give me a thanks

I admit I was a little skeptical of this process, especially since the airbag reset process hasn't worked for me after some upholstery work.

However, I tried this process and although the connector is a bit difficult to find and tap into due to the limited space, the process works GREAT and saved me a boat load of time and $$ on the ATEQ tool or dealer fees!

I was a bit worried I had done the process wrong because the airbag light never seemed to blink "slowly" but I just needed to be more patient. All of my (Nissan based) sensors were learned within a few minutes of driving.

As mentioned the light came on again but after filling up to proper pressures it promptly went off after 1/4 mi of driving.

Not sure if I have to do anything different as these tires run at 44psi versus the stock, but at least it will notify of low pressure to prevent a catastrophic issue.

Thanks again - this was a huge help!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 PM

TPMS grounding pin

OK, so I paid big $$$ to have a remote car starter installed over the winter and when going to swap out the winter and summer tires I noticed the bleeping techs who installed the remote car starter taped up the entire wiring harness and the TPMS interface wire is nowhere to be found.

They left a complete mess of wires and didn't do any other wire management. In fact the remote starter box is just sitting loose above the wiring harness - pissed that I paid extra for a reputable shop to do a quality job.

I've tried twice to locate the TPMS interface plug again and failed due to the tight confines of the area and the taped up harness. I thought it was a white wire and female plug when I followed the process outlined by Juggernaut23 last fall.

Any tips on locating this plug again? Would taking off part of the dash or removing the driver's seat out make this easier? I'm not a big guy but I'm starting to feel claustrophobic stuck under the dash all night.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Isn't there a way to reset the TPMS with the driver's window button?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Very simply:
1. Load software and plug into USB port on PC

2. Follow instructions on PC screen

3. Remove from USB and plug into car

4. push summer or winter button on device (whichever tires are on at the time)

5. Remove from car and plug back into PC

6. Software will tell you what codes it picked up from car

7. Save( now you have saved winter or summer codes on the device)

8. When you get new tires with TPMS manually load codes into the device by PC)

9. Plug in device and push the winter or summer button (which every tires are on)

10. Alarm will reset ( That's it)

Instructions can be downloaded at Ateq.com/tpms-reset
Can you please tell me which Ateq model did you get?
If I go to the link there is no product displayed there.

Quick Reply: DIY TPMS reset tool