7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

09 Maxima Specific Oil!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

$120 oil change!

I'm leasing my car from Kingston Nissan in Kingston NY.
They told me my oil changes would be $120 each and I HAD
to get my oil changed there or I would void my warrenty.

Any thoughts on what I can do about this would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Giantbob

That is a load of crap. You can change your oil anywhere. If you are leasing all they care about is the condition of the car when you return it to them. And $120 an oil change?? What are they putting in there, bits of diamonds? I think my dealer charges around $30 for a regular oil change (not synthetic)
Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your lease's fine print. If having the oil changed by Kingston isn't mentioned, then you're golden. I would save receipts when you change it in case you need to battle.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 PM

what to do what to do, any dealer experiences with warranty void?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM

In Canada they would have to prove neglect. Since we didn't have ready access to ester based oils, they recommend Mobil-1 Syn, but will accept any oil if changed regularly. Of course Nissan is now in bed with Mobil - so go figure on their choice
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Anyone use a synthetic blend to break in their car?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM

following the car owner's man is important for oil,,,a lot of testing is done to determine what lubs are needed,... cars off the production line that require syn oil are built with materials and engine tolerances to accept syn oils.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leeno
When I had my first oil change done at around 3500 miles and the dealer used Quaker State Synthetic Blend 5W30. I changed it again at 10000 miles and used Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leeno

You may be fine going to a blend, but what cobradb said is very important. I would recommend not switching to synthetic, even a synthetic blend, very early in the life of a car that was engineered for, and came with dino.

I would suggest not switching away from dino until at least the second oil change, and even then would avoid the full synthetics until I knew the engine was fully broken in, which could be between 10K and 20K miles. I would think what 2young2retire did would be the 'fastest track' I could recommend anyone use with this Maxima.

Be aware there is nothing 'magical' about synthetic oils, especially in engines designed to run with dino. I have run Maxima engines 206,000 miles in miserable Atlanta commuter traffic using nothing but dino oil, and the engine was still running smoothly and quietly, and using no oil, when I traded it in for a later generation Maxima.

I may consider going to a synthetic blend around 20K miles, but, with my driving style, plus the fact I will be getting my oil changed every 3750 miles no matter what type oil I am using, dino oil would work just as well for me.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM

The dealer can not void your warranty. Tell them to refer to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act , which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c), as follows:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.”

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

By the way...I use Amsoil 0w-30 with OE filter.

Last edited by 67whitegoat; 01-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by bomaxima
Check your lease's fine print. If having the oil changed by Kingston isn't mentioned, then you're golden. I would save receipts when you change it in case you need to battle.
And if it is mentioned, your still golden because that would be a violation of Federal Law.

Last edited by 67whitegoat; 01-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM

$40 here in queens ny... i'm at about 1920 miles .. i asksed and they said for the first change 3ooo miles is ok.. there is a shop closer by that does it for about $28 and that includes a car wash at a station right across the street.. proly go there

after all this reading , i think i 'll stick wtih the dino for first 10k then synthetic
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fyi the oil filter media used is important as well. Mobil 1 filter uses a sythectic fibers that filter smaller particles, better filtration better protection. Amasoil and royal purple make good filters too.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Just spoke to my dealership to get my first 3000 oil change for free. I asked about them using ester based oil and the first person did not even know what I was talking about. The second person said that they use regular Chevron (dino) oil and that that was fine unless I wanted synthetic. I asked if using regular oil affects my warranty and he said no as that was all they used at this dealership. So unless they are voiding everyone's warranty I don't think there should be a problem. I plan to go with dino this time and then at 6K switch to synthetic at 10 K. They I change oil every 5 K after that just to keep it simple.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM

im using Mobil One 5W30 everything runs the same...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

I've been using Valvoline SynPower since the 7500 mile oil change and the engine hasn't been having that burning oil odor anymore and seems to run a little better with the full synthetic! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name brand full synthetics though.

Of course, if you really want to baby your Max and pay a little bit more, Amsoil is the way to go!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Shout out to this thread, learned a lot about oil and its differences. Oldie but a goody

Going in for my 1st oil change @ 1,600M on my "11, will have to ask what kind of oil they use. Going to the Dship and hoping it goes well, any advice from the Org is appreciated. Will report back by the weekend
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Just did a change the other day and got Mobil 1 Synthetic, cost $35 with filter, flush and fill, car runs great.

Ditto, I just dont like the hidden filter. But otherwise a snap
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM

I just did first oil change on my 2011 Maxima @2700M.
Dealer say there is recommendation from Nissan to use syntetic oil on Maxima's 09 and up. I did what they recommended. $57 for syntetic is not that bad.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 AM

Waiting on my first oil change at the dealer. They mentioned that a month or so ago that Nissan changed the oil requirement to synthetic on the 09+ Maximas as some engines were having problems. First change is free so I was cool with it but was hoping to use dino until 10k.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by STARR
With your maintenance package you get an oil change every 3750 miles
I know I'm coming in late to this conversation. I purchased my '09 in Sept '08. I got a maintenance package that covered the oil change at 3750 miles and rotated my tires every other time.

The first few times I had the oil changed, the service dept at the dealership I bought my car from just used regular 5w30. I told them that it required Ester oil as specified in the manual. The adviser said he had never heard of that. I stopped going there after the second or third oil change.

I then started taking my car to the closest Nissan dealership to my house. There they knew what Ester oil was and were sure to use that every time. I still remember starting the car after having the correct (as specified by the maker) oil used. The engine sounded like it was just a bit smoother.

After my maintenance plan ran out at 100k miles (I'm at just over 136k now and change the oil every 10k), I started doing my own oil changes. I use Mobile One High Mileage with a Mobile One oil filter. And yes, after the first oil change it sounded like the engine ran even smoother on the Mobile One.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM

What oil to use ????

Hey guys hows it going. New on this form and with Nissan's. I have a 09 Maxima and my service package is almost up and was wondering what you guys had to say about Amsoil oil or Royal purple. This is my 1st import that you can say I've babied like I do my V8's. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about those two oils. I read the 1st two pages of this post and didn't see anyone bring up the two oils I've been using on my other cars so I figured I'd ask and get some input before buying some oil for the MAX. Thanks again
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Of those two - I would take Amsoil every time.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM

ok oil ester oil is better it will protect the uper end u may notice a bit more noise not using ester oil but the good news is u do not have to use this ester oil using sinthedic oil extended performance this one because it has more sinthedic stuff and engine protectors than any other tipe of moble 1 this is why it says u can put more miles on the motor before a change of oil . so as i do use this oil. dont beleve me read the reviews on extended perfornance and comparisons. comparisons of oil does make a diffrence on witch weight of oil your reading about. all oils and difrent weight of oil are nor created equal. ester oil is a new tec of oil that leves a film of oil longer on the parts and breaks down slower. u could mix the ester oil with moble 1 . bottom line the first few oil changes in break in i did use ester iol now oi use moble 1 extended performance 5-30 it has extra protection more than amosoil 5-30 and roil perpole 5-30 remember weight of oil makes a difrence i will admit amosoil and roil perpole is very good oil amosoil in more weights of oil is best rated but not in every weght of oil. any issue of warentee does not mean u have to use ester oil period dont be fooled.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4 door GT-R
Hey guys hows it going. New on this form and with Nissan's. I have a 09 Maxima and my service package is almost up and was wondering what you guys had to say about Amsoil oil or Royal purple. This is my 1st import that you can say I've babied like I do my V8's. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about those two oils. I read the 1st two pages of this post and didn't see anyone bring up the two oils I've been using on my other cars so I figured I'd ask and get some input before buying some oil for the MAX. Thanks again
I would go with Amsoil, everything I read about Royal Purple says it's an OK oil, and your paying more for the name and advertising, it's like paying more for Mobil1.

Used oil Analysis are no different then any other off the shelf synthetics, so only buy and use if you get it at a good deal
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I might go with the Amsoil if my Dealer gives me a good deal on the stuff. I use to buy the stuff by the gal. When I had a Diesel. I never ran Amsoil oil on a gas auto that I owned only ran Purple in them. But it is an expensive oil so I might go with the Mobil oil. I did read another page about this topic and it seems everyone runs mobil or ester oil. I've never heard of that oil either but will see where I can find that kind of oil as well. Thanks again guys
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4 door GT-R
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I might go with the Amsoil if my Dealer gives me a good deal on the stuff. I use to buy the stuff by the gal. When I had a Diesel. I never ran Amsoil oil on a gas auto that I owned only ran Purple in them. But it is an expensive oil so I might go with the Mobil oil. I did read another page about this topic and it seems everyone runs mobil or ester oil. I've never heard of that oil either but will see where I can find that kind of oil as well. Thanks again guys
If you want a great deal on Amsoil you can purchase it from a sponsor here on the forum, member "talkinghorse" is really great, I can't recommend him enough.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...ubricants.html
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 AM

will try royal purple on next oil change.... very rough with my engine so i'll see how it goes with it.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
If you want a great deal on Amsoil you can purchase it from a sponsor here on the forum, member "talkinghorse" is really great, I can't recommend him enough.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...ubricants.html
Thanks for the link I will check it out when Im ready to order. Going in for my last service this weekend so will order my supply then.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM

I have about a quart of Nissan Ester Oil. Do you guys think it will be compatible with dino oil to put into my 5.5gen VQ35DE??
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Will
I have about a quart of Nissan Ester Oil. Do you guys think it will be compatible with dino oil to put into my 5.5gen VQ35DE??
Not a problem at all.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 AM

I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since 5k, when I first had the oil changed. I've also used Nissan or Mobile 1 oil filters, changed with the oil. Oil changes every 5k miles, and with 21k on the clock, no problems yet.

I got the recommendation for Mobile 1 Full Synthetic right here in the 7th Gen forum.

I know I'm still at relatively low mileage, just thought I'd share.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Plenty of good info and reading here.
On the 2007 car, I cut over from dino to M-1 5W30 when the freebie LOFs ran out at about 15,000 miles. Car now has 85,000 trouble free miles. Intend to do the same with the brand new 2012 car. Also use the OEM 15208-9E000 filter in both cars.
Makes it easy for me...all 3 cars take same M-1 5W30 oil....now selling at Walmart for $26.62 for 5 qt jug.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

factory rims

anybody know where i can buy factory rims or if your selling yours? 2009 nissan maxima
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by DA_BOI_D_DERRTY
anybody know where i can buy factory rims or if your selling yours? 2009 nissan maxima
A thread regarding oil and warranty service is not the place to ask about people selling rims. There is a section for that here, but I must admit, I can't point you to it...as I don't care about that section of this forum yet. Maybe someday
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Auto Entry/Exit

I just purchased and 09 sv sport. How do i turn of the auto entry/exit if i dont have the navigation? thanks for the help
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Without Nav, turning it off is not an option.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quiet frankly, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 is the best oil that can be put in this car or any car (with viscosity changes). Nothing compares and most just have a reputable name ie. Mobile1
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Mobile 1 since 18k and at 78k no problems. As long as u don't use castrol u should be fine!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by pdub34
Mobile 1 since 18k and at 78k no problems. As long as u don't use castrol u should be fine!

BMW dealers recommend Castrol synthetic in their turbo-charged engines. That oil is good for 12,000 miles or 1 year between oil changes. What is it that you know that BMW does not?

Quick Reply: 09 Maxima Specific Oil!