6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My new Gps Custom install DIY 4 >$200

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 AM

My new Gps Custom install DIY 4 <$200

So I spent the last few days working on this install. I am not much for doing writeups so bare with me. Ohh and the pics look like a 4 year old used MS Paint on em I know. Ok first I will start with what you will need to buy.

*UPDATE* Here is my latest SD Card build: https://rapidshare.com/files/1031363194/SD_MEMORY.zip

7in Plenio GPS VXA-3000. EBAY $120 shipped
1-2GB SanDisk "SD" card. BestBuy $14 (Do not try and get anything more than 2GB because nothing more will work.)
1 thing of superglue brush on is probably the best kind. KMART $4
The other tools I had which included:
1 philips screwdriver
1 Drill with drill bits
1 hacksaw with metal cutting blade
1 dremel with cutting wheels and sander
1 box cutter
1 triangle ruler "L" shaped ruler will work
2 pairs of pliers
1 hammer
2 "C" clamps
1 piece of wood to cut on

First I got the GPS unit and then with the help of www.gpspassion.com I was able to hack the unit and put a different GPS software on it due to the software it had being outdated and impossible to keep up to date, plus the software I have now has so many more options for it. Here is the link to the forum there and trust me it's pretty easy to do if you follow the writeup. Plus you have me if you have questions or need help. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=117481

Then once that was complete I started mutilating my dash. I first disconnected the battery because I knew this wasn't going to be quick and the doors where going to be open and I didn't want to take any chances. I removed the shift ****, bottom plate where the shifter is, and then the whole front piece. set all that aside and labled everything accordingly. Then I removed the screws to get the top cover off. Pretty easy pull toward you and up to remove it. Once that was out I pulled out the bracket and removed the info screen and the brain. Then I cut the brackets 1/8" where the top two green circles are as shown in the first picture. The bottom one that's folded in was cut along the current edge to match the end of where the top two cuts where.
The part that says 1/2" is from the bottom up 1/2" and cut that out. That is where the power plug is attached. I recommend using the dremmel or sand paper to smooth it out so nothing gets cut or freyed on that sharp edge. Now that the hard part is over, yes that's the hard part. Let's move on to the cover that goes over the screen. I made cuts to allow the screen to go up higher and not push down on the brain. The center one needs to be rounded because of the contour of the screen. In this picture you will see what I mean. If you haven't removed the plastic cover that used to protect your screen you should do so now. Don't lose those little metal lock washer things, you will need them later. Ok this next picture explains what you are going to do with the screen protector. This is going to be your new monitor's molding. pretty self explainitory. I measured about 1/16" up from the bottom and 29/32" to the side and marked it. Then I used my "L" shaped ruler and "C" clamps to hold the screen protector down to make perfect straight lines to cut along. I masked mine off and sprayed them but you don't have to as long as you didn't scratch them. Take the molding pieces that you just cut out and put them back into the places they were and super clue them in place. Then put the metal washer things over the top. Let it dry. should look like this The red circle is where I cut some of the bracket holder off to allow the screen to be flush. Make sure you cut this back about 1/4" on both sides. Put the brackets and the brain back together. If the pieces you bent in are keeping you from screwing in the brain, then bend the pieces out of the way until you can get the brain to fit. then bend them on top. You will know what I mean when you are doing it. Put it in place. Screw the bracket back in. Place the Gps unit on top of the brain and center it make sure the antenna is out at a 90 degree, it should fit just perfect. Take the cover and put it on to make sure you have a good fitment. now press on the screen to make sure it doesn't move. If it does that's ok because you can take the cover off and bend the brackets toward you. This Unit was allmost made just for our car, that's how easy and perfect this thing fits. Once you have the fitment done you have to run the wires. I drilled a hole into the area where my cigarette lighter is at. Picture shows you.

Last edited by po8pimp; 01-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 AM

here is another picture of it from the other side.
Anyways once that's done, Put it all back together. then it should come out to look something like this.

Last edited by po8pimp; 08-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 AM

here are some more pics, sorry I wish I had a better digital camera to use. This first one is my loading screen which is a pic I had from doing the ps3 themes this summer. this one is the main interface screen. This one is the settings window. Notice it has a built in Transmitter for the stereo. this is a night mode pic of the nav screen. and this is a pic of the video funtion of course.

Last edited by po8pimp; 08-08-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 AM

This thing has incredible satellite reception because I thought I was going to have to make a hole in my dash for an external antenna but it works just fine through the dash. I know it sounds crazy but works.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's an awesome job, looks factory built in, doesn't take up dash space, and cheap! < $125
I'd keep a towel in the car and put it over the stuff when I parked though.. or an old shirt..
make the car look junky like there's no high tec electronics inside instead I take the GPS with
me in a bad neighborhood, and at least hide it in a good neighborhood

For those of you who don't know, this thing can also play movies/mp3's. I dont' even install my
fancy car stereo's because this does the job i want. I just want to note a few things.

1. I bought mine from woot.com and it came with a 2 gig sd card already.
When I installed my own map software (it was only about 300 megs) it left me
1.7 gigs free, so i didn't buy another card. It was $115+5 shipping. But if i bought it from ebay I could have used MS live cashback and gotten $20 back.

2. This method blocks the SD card so try not to make it uninstallible, because every couple of years you may want to update your map.

3. I'm also hoping one day we can get the infrared port (for the remote) to be used with other IR devices like a keyboard or file transfer, so if you can, don't block it

4. Popimp you can get rid of the error msg by changing your autorun.c31 to using mortscript, then have mortscript push the OK button on the error msg. I posted on (GPS underground dot com) my set up.

5. I told you the antenna was that good

Last edited by infin8007; 12-18-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM

Man that's cheap! I might get brave and do this. My stock info screen has a smudge from the inside and it can't be fixed. This should take care of it LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM

yea good replacement. This install took less than a day to figure out and since all the figuring out is done for you, it should take about 2-3 hours. The hacking of the gps system is a piece of cake if you follow the step by step instruction. I could do it from scratch now in about 15 minutes. so about half a day's worth of work and $130 is deffinitly better than $2500 and a day with your car at the stealership.

Last edited by po8pimp; 12-19-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 AM

Working on getting WinCE on here so I can have an interface which would allow me to run other apps on this thing and pretty much make it a Carputer too. There is a port that allows for a usb out/in, will have to see if WinCE recognizes it, and try to expand the memory to maybe a 300gb external harddrive. Unfortunately there is no video out but give it time someone will figure that out.

Last edited by po8pimp; 12-19-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 AM

i think an in dash would of been a better touch.. IMO
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by pock3t
i think an in dash would of been a better touch.. IMO
for about 300-400 less I thought this was an alright touch

Question though: since the power on and off button will be hidden, I guess it turns on and off just by turning the car on with the 12V cord?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM

I build custom mapping applications for a living. You guys are giving me that mod itch again!!

I can't believe how cheap of a mod this was. I know what I'm asking for, for my birthday!

What I'd like to do is have the GPS screen in the same place as yours.

Move the info screen down to where the cubby hole is at the bottom

Get rid of the obsolete bose tape player and eventually have my safc II installed in it's place.

Last edited by KC2010; 12-19-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:41 AM

An indash was a thought however most indash Double Dins are bigger in height than the standard nissan screen. that would mean more cutting and custom install meaning more money, and more paint. this was so easy to do I am glad I went this route. Plus an indash would not have the capability of becoming a Carputer. This has the ability to perform that. will post pics of windows installed when done. I am also looking to add google map overlays to the system for just my state, because I know the overlays are huge and I have only about 1 1/2gb of space left on my card. Plus I am not sure about indashes being able to update POIs and whatnot. I know alot of them take CD/DVDs and well what's on the CD/DVD at the time is what you get and when an update comes out you just buy a new cd. This is easy you just download the update and put in folder. Plus you can customize just about every window in the NAV software and if you add WinCE you can customize everything in there, including a screensaver. Indash you can not do any of that. So I am more than happy I bought this.

The safcII install sounds good. I have the one din and half din setup and I am using the half din for my 60gb harddrive. Putting the controller there would work out nice.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM

Thats an awesome mod right there!!! I might give this a shot after x-mas, if x-mas shopping doesn't bankrupt me...
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM

that looks awesome. much props
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
GrandPa

Very nice set-up.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Nice setup i would have went with the Avic D3 instead of that flip up screen much cleaner but it looks good
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM

yea if I had to do it over again I would go Double Din in the center vice the flipup that I have now. I chose the flipup just incase I got pulled over, I could close the screen. plus the extra half din was nice to have. Only thing with the flipup is the gear is broke in there and it sometimes opens and sometimes you have to help it. Want to get it fixed but BestBuy says 5 weeks from Hawaii, and I can't be without a radio for 5 weeks. They don't even have a model this crappy on the shelves anymore so if they have to junk it then I will get a new radio. That would be awesome. Just means more work. I have to do a stereo install for a neighbor here in a couple days for her husbands christmas present and might ask to borrow their old headunit and take this thing in. I think I have a year on my warrenty too. If I get to pick out a new one I might go with a double din this time. I would just have to find a location for my harddrive. Glove box.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Excellent Install ! A nice way to take on a challenge!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM

so wince 4.2 was installed with a secondary toolbar and program worked just not as i thought it would. will keep experimenting through the holidays.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 AM

So if you had a stock 6 cd-changer, would the audio work through that and the navigation at the same time?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice mod. But how do you use the A/C controls without the display? Am I missing something?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
Nice mod. But how do you use the A/C controls without the display? Am I missing something?
you simply change the location of the head-display to the very bottom of the console where that small compartment use to be..but the lid has to be taken off.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by kronickz
So if you had a stock 6 cd-changer, would the audio work through that and the navigation at the same time?
Yes however I don't remember what the oem 6 disc cover looks like I mean is there a compartment at the bottom next to the shifter? I bought a different cover when I installed my new stereo so the compartment was there. I simply relocated the display screen to the bottom like mentioned above and put the nav where the display goes. But if you can relocate the display then yes it will work. Honestly you don't need the display. You just won't be able to see your trip history and the temp outside and when to rotate your tires. I mean if those are important than by all means do what you can to keep it.

for you to hear the nav through your speakers all you need is a stereo with 88.1,88.3,88.5, or 88.7 radio stations.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM

you know what I was so curious I had to go find my old cover and I remembered that I had to unscrew the bottom compartment off the oem for my new cover so yes your display screen will fit down there. I cut my compartment for fitment because I knew that's how I wanted it to stay. I recommend unscrew the compartment and take it off and set the screen in without it being attached to the cover in any way. Just to see if you want it there. If you do cut off the back so you can fit the cable in and make some other cuts to the compartment. I would post pics on that install but if you search for it you will find it done allready on here somewhere. Sorry just don't want to take my setup apart for pics right now.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

new

im new to the site can anyone help me out im trying to install in dash double din tv in my 06 max what do i need to get that done
Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM

here is the kit you need to buy http://cgi.ebay.com/04-06-NISSAN-MAX...3A1%7C294%3A50, it comes with everything you are going to need. In the center you will see the two big pockets seperated by a dividing line, you need to cut that piece out in order to fit the double din. Here are the instructions on how to take apart everything and put the new unit in. http://documents.victorytechnologies...oduct/2475.pdf
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could you show some pics of the location of the info screen?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...s-present.html here is a link to another install which shows the info screen up close. This guys setup is real nice so be sure to let him know. I am not sure what he did but I didn't cut anything besides the pocket I put the screen in. In this picture you will see the part your shifter is on is cut to let the screen fit.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SWEET

I'm trying the same thing! thanks for the idea, i'll post some pics if all works out well.....just waiting on my order(s) to arrive! other than that.....nice work doc!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 AM

Thanx, you have any questions just pm me. Real easy to do if you follow the instructions. Hardest part is software install, which is still pretty easy. Ohh and customizing the maps/POI/etc. Again let me know if you need help.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM

what will i need to make this work for a non nav 2007 max?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Great Job Shipmate!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM
*moderator*

Nice work!!!

And that pic is from the first ever Maxima meet (or car meet) I went to in the middle of the night in downtown LA in 04 or 05, sweet!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:08 PM

how good is the gps?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
how good is the gps?
What exactly does this question mean? GPS is only as good as the signal and operating software. If that is what you mean, then signal depends on area, and the operating software that comes standard with the Plenio is not the greatest. The software that I put on the unit is OCN 8, which is way better than what it came with and is customizable. I like it alot, and everyone who has seen it in person agrees. I do recommend this product with OCN 8 installed.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey po8pimp can you send me the info on how to upgrade to OCN 8? thanks alot and i did the same setup and it turned out great! really dont know how to post pics on here...but its high speed! thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Thanx, you have any questions just pm me. Real easy to do if you follow the instructions. Hardest part is software install, which is still pretty easy. Ohh and customizing the maps/POI/etc. Again let me know if you need help.
I need help customizing the the maps too...lol PM me wit info thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have noticed on the VXA-3000 that there is a composite input available. Has anyone tried possibly using that input for the info screen? I am curious as to whether the info screen output is a composite, rgb or vga.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 PM

very nice bro good work looks legit.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 05vegasmax
I have noticed on the VXA-3000 that there is a composite input available. Has anyone tried possibly using that input for the info screen? I am curious as to whether the info screen output is a composite, rgb or vga.
output of the stock info screen is vga. you would have to have a custom adapter made to make it work. not sure if it will work right though.

Quick Reply: My new Gps Custom install DIY 4 >$200