5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ES shifter bushings question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 PM

ES shifter bushings question?

ok so im pretty mechanically inclined and i got a set of es shifter bushings from a fellow .org member im very satisfied with them i just have a question. i have a six speed i only used two of the pieces of the kit. it would be part number 1187 i put them on the shifter and under the hood so now my question what do i do with the 8 other pieces or are they for like a 5 speed i guess im just confused. on the box it says 95 maxima kind of. well thats what i got from it anyway can someone tell me did i use all the ones i can or did i miss some cause i think my shifter is 10x better but i want to use the whole kit if i can here are pics

the box
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...2-26122203.jpg

shipping info on box
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...2-26122245.jpg

instructions
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...2-26130821.jpg

and what i have left over
http://http://i1105.photobucket.com/...2-26130918.jpg
Old 12-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Your last picture isn't working for me, however there are a number of pieces (maybe 8 I can't remember for sure) that are installed on the shifter base, these replace the stock rubber ones.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Yea I have 8 pieces left over those go under the plastic plate say.the one bolted to the floorpan of the car?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i have the same amount left over i put the important bushings on and thats it i still have the little es box in my car
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

It only takes an extra 5-10 minutes to install the plate bushings. I don't understand why you would pay for a kit and not install the entire kit. I thought I was lazy. As far as which bushings are important, you'll find they all help to create a firmer shift.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Yea I'm not lazy I.just didn't know where they went I will be putting them in tonight because I do want the whole kit installed
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by fishtale6spd
Yea I'm not lazy I.just didn't know where they went I will be putting them in tonight because I do want the whole kit installed
I'll take your word. Rochester made a really good writeup that can help you get in the right direction. It should be a very quick swap. Remember to take care not to let the fasteners drop, and be careful with the sharp plastic/metal in there.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM

Yea I'm a auto mechanic so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out
Old 12-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Or you can just bolt that sumbish straight to DA FRAYMEEEE not use any bushings like a BAWSS.

#MyTwoCents

Wait is that even possible on a 5.5 gen?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Yea I'm a auto mechanic so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out
Rochester's suggestions helped me out with the plate bushings. I even added the comment about using a deep socket to help push the old bushings.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Or you can just bolt that sumbish straight to DA FRAYMEEEE not use any bushings like a BAWSS.

#MyTwoCents

Haha ill try that first I'll get back to you tonight if that works or not maybe stack some washers in there
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

#MyTwoCents

Haha ill try that first I'll get back to you tonight if that works or not maybe stack some washers in there
Sure! Solidly bolt the plastic frame so there is no movement allowed whatsoever.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Sure! Solidly bolt the plastic frame so there is no movement allowed whatsoever.
Ah yes, over the pliable poly bushings? Really now? Sounds like a negative nancy here.

Only play in my shifts are the bushings from ES, my only gripe about the 6mt, is how disconnected one is from the transmission.

I gaurantee you after slightly warping the plastic to my chassis and using the proper bolts and washers, my shifter assembly does not move.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Ah yes, over the pliable poly bushings? Really now? Sounds like a negative nancy here.

Only play in my shifts are the bushings from ES, my only gripe about the 6mt, is how disconnected one is from the transmission.

I gaurantee you after slightly warping the plastic to my chassis and using the proper bolts and washers, my shifter assembly does not move.
I've seen you mention the disconnect of the 6spd before. I think you may have something worn on yours or installed incorrectly. My shifts feel very similar to the 5spds I've owned.

Hey! Why don't you throw a solid axle in there too while you're at it? Somebody needs to draw a few more FBDs before making everything on his car solid.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I've seen you mention the disconnect of the 6spd before. I think you may have something worn on yours or installed incorrectly. My shifts feel very similar to the 5spds I've owned.

Hey! Why don't you throw a solid axle in there too while you're at it? Somebody needs to draw a few more FBDs before making everything on his car solid.
Nope, no more of those, i'm done!

I'm just gonna make everything solid, when **** breaks I'll fix it... but I'm OT meow...

Srsly can 5.5 guys bolt it straight to the chassis with the aid of some washers?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Nope, no more of those, i'm done!

I'm just gonna make everything solid, when **** breaks I'll fix it... but I'm OT meow...

Srsly can 5.5 guys bolt it straight to the chassis with the aid of some washers?
Idk ill let you know tonight once I tear it apart probably should be able to I don't see why not
Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM

My ears are burning!

OP, go read my write-up: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-assembly.html

It's not uncommon for people to blow past installation of the assembly bushings. I did it myself for half a year, before I found them again one day and decided to see whether or not it was worth it.

It is. Do it, you won't have any regrets.

OAN, nelledge and talltom... nice comments. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
^ Jeff™

In fishtale's defense...the instruction included from ES are not very descriptive on where the 8 bushings go. It wasn't till I read Rochester's write-up did I figure it out completely.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MrEous
In fishtale's defense...the instruction included from ES are not very descriptive on where the 8 bushings go. It wasn't till I read Rochester's write-up did I figure it out completely.
Totally agreed. It's probably the #1 reason why we all delayed installing them.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MrEous
Find me a write up on installing these motor mounts.
I might try to do it Saturday.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Check the 5th Gen diy section top of page its in there pretty sure
Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 7speed
Find me a write up on installing these motor mounts.
I might try to do it Saturday.
Did you check the instructions on ES parts, I know you just remove the old ones press out the rubber and install the ES ones but not sure if you can do it without the press though, doing those in Jan. .....
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Yea there not as easy as the other bushings
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Yea there not as easy as the other bushings
Not even remotely. They press in easily enough... if you have access to a press. I don't know how else you would do it except to cut them in half. The PITA comes by way of removing the OEM bushings from the mounts. Drill... saw... impact gun... it's not pretty. Ditto on the lower-control arm bushings.

PITA means see-a-mechanic, IMO.

However, at the end of the day, solid poly bushings in the Engine Torque Mounts is just about the best mod on the Maxima ever. Hands down, the best mod.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM

^^^ well I am a mechanic I do have a.press and es has a good name btw which motor mounts you talking about? Also I got the shifter bushings done and did use washers but not to the.extent that I wanted ill post pictures that will explain but I put washers on the top of the stud and the bottom of the stud to "squish" the bushings together same concept as the. Subrame collars pictures in an hour
Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM

ok so a little longer than an hour. but more details on what i did i removed the whole shifter assembly pulled out the old bushings and got a little display set up. on the left the factory rubber bushing. middle is the metal sleeve with washers stacked on it the right is the new lower half of the es bushing just slid on the metal sleeve.
so in the middle i was just going to use all washers but if you notice on the left there has to be indent which the stack of metal washers does not have so i couldnt do all washers wasnt going to work i was thinking use washers on the bottom and the top but then that just leaves an even bigger gap so what i did was stack two washers on the metal sleeve then the bushing then popped them into shifter assembly then put all that on then stacked three more washers on top of the other half of the bushing then cranked the bolts down super tight feels a lot better now after doing this but i dont think its possible to just bolt them solid down to the floor plan i mean maybe if you have a lot more time then yes you could figure something out but i didnt have the time and figured es bushing would be good enough better than stock right

Last edited by fishtale6spd; 12-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM

btw which motor mounts you talking about?
The Torque Mounts, which are at the sides of the engine. In the bay, that means at the firewall and radiator.

I'm not sure what I'm reading in your last post, fishtale. What was your intent with all the washers? I don't get what you did.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Ill get them bushings next .
On what I did is you k.own how subframe colors work correct? Hard plastic on top and bottom to "squish" the soft rubber bushings together. I think I did the same thing here but not sure either way the es bushings are in there and doing there job don't know if the washers will help or not I just based my idea off of the subframe collar jist or that's what I.ment anyways
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not even remotely. They press in easily enough... if you have access to a press. I don't know how else you would do it except to cut them in half. The PITA comes by way of removing the OEM bushings from the mounts. Drill... saw... impact gun... it's not pretty. Ditto on the lower-control arm bushings.

However, at the end of the day, solid poly bushings in the Engine Torque Mounts is just about the best mod on the Maxima ever. Hands down, the best mod.
I did the motor mounts without a press. it was insane. hack saw, drill. sawsaw, and a lot of time to get the old ones out. One is liquid filled and it was a mess. The engine was blown so I had a week to work on it while I got ready to throw my new engine in.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM

ok so a little longer than an hour....
Ahh, I didn't didn't about stacking them...

I just used an over sized washer, little bit of dremel action to get it snug in the shifter assembly, then bolted it down...

Then for the rears I had to use sheet metal screws+washers cause the rear holes don't line up on MY 99 SE-L (but rumored to line up on others, it may have been the shifter assembly I used? or it could be my car? No se....)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM

What did you do a swap or something aackshun? Cause with the lowers and the washers my transit feels notchy very nice I like how it shifts now I can actually feel it go into gear
Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester

Good to know when I had my spec v I got bad hop but never got around to getting poly mounts. With the Max I don't know if it's mods or colder weather or both but noticing that scrub/hop more
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Yup I hate that wait till you get wide tires 3x the hop