5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion [Picture heavy]

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
Some outdoor night pictures.

Door light.

Interior.

Helps you see that 1 foot of snow on the ground in case you missed it.

Trunk light with my tools.

Whole car shot.

I get complimented on these every day. I'd love to hear what you guys think and if you'd be interested in a group deal type thing.
Why are you driving on sand? Just kidding, it looks awesome
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
The Autozone interior LEDs are a joke compared to the ones you can order from Hong Kong.

I had one of the 15-LED panels from Autzone in my 4AT's dome light. That thing barely lit up the interior. Now I have a normal 30mm 4-panel LED in there that I got off of eBay for $3, and it's just as bright as the 15-LED panel.

Lately, I've been considering trying to find a way to make the map lights light up when the dome light comes on...I've seen a few other cars that do this, and I definitely think it's nice-looking. Brightens the interior overall, too.

It wouldn't be hard to do...just a bit time-consuming.
Hell yeah i wasted money on those "AutoZone" leds, got the 5 color changing dome light and is dimmer then the factory bulb
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrpopo573
I just started my LED work, with license plate, front and rear blinker conversions (w/LED flasher module)

Great work! Where did you buy your 3x3 T10 board?
the 3x3 board is ordered in bulk from Honk Kong by a buddy of mine.
Its a good product cause the lights on it are pretty big.

Originally Posted by spideymon
I ordered these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Super cheap and work awesome! Came with a nice assortment of adapters, including the bayonet ones that are such a PITA to find. Enjoy!

Tyutyunnik: Would these be better for the License:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-19...Q5fAccessories

Since they are at a right angle to the sicket and the plate is at a right angle to light??

The first link with the 12 lights are 1210 smds which are much smaller than the ones on these bulbs (which use 5050 smds) but it does seem like it would do the job, and its super cheap you're right.

And the licence plate bulb directs the light downwards on to the plate, so the bulb socket on the max is pointed downwards, since that one is angled sideways it wouldn't provide the greatest coverage. The ones I have are essentially the same but they are pointed forward which is ideal for the maxima. Remember these LEDs have an almost 180 degree viewing angle which eliminates the problem of having to point them in a certain direction.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM

LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion ??
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by josueboca
Welcome to that exact thread
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

n00bs.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by josueboca
I hope you recieve a swift ban for posting the thread title with a ?? in every current thread

There is an entire thread dedicated to your Newb posts
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 AM

You see it all the time but you never expect it to happen to your thread....
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 AM

You see it all the time but you never expect it to happen to your thread....
Write to nmexmax and kindly ask him to delete the last half-dozen posts.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM

also interested in a set shipped to canada

thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by matt06

thanks
Drive over and get 'em
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I hope you recieve a swift ban for posting the thread title with a ?? in every current thread

There is an entire thread dedicated to your Newb posts
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ima-parts.html

Here ya go. Ennnnjoy.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by matt06

thanks
Drive over and get 'em
I'm in the Ottawa region but I'll ship them if you really want.

I finally made a for sale thread here for all those that are still interested.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM

The first link with the 12 lights are 1210 smds which are much smaller than the ones on these bulbs (which use 5050 smds) but it does seem like it would do the job, and its super cheap you're right.
I purchased them and they are BRIGHT and do their job superbly. I'm a little hesitant to place these panels in the door courtesy, because of how bright they are...then again on second thought that may actually be a good thing!

And the licence plate bulb directs the light downwards on to the plate, so the bulb socket on the max is pointed downwards, since that one is angled sideways it wouldn't provide the greatest coverage. The ones I have are essentially the same but they are pointed forward which is ideal for the maxima. Remember these LEDs have an almost 180 degree viewing angle which eliminates the problem of having to point them in a certain direction.
True, but I've always been skeptical of how true the 180deg actually is. You've posted pics and seeing IS believing. I am gonna purchase the angled ones on the link and see how they do.

What suggestions do you have for the Side Marker LEDs ?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

You're gonna want to get the straight ones because they direct the light onto the plates.

For the sidemarkers, I've always just found it counter intuitive to get LEDs because the sidemarker itself is colored so you lose most of the appeal. I would use the same bulb that I used for the licence plate though. I think it would look nice if you had a clear sidemarker and did the blinker mod to come on with the turn signal.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM

anyone knows if the trunk wiring can handle 4 watts?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Stock bulbs are 3 watts I think but it shouldn't be a problem. You'll blow a fuse before you do any damage to the wiring anyways.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Lately, I've been considering trying to find a way to make the map lights light up when the dome light comes on...I've seen a few other cars that do this, and I definitely think it's nice-looking. Brightens the interior overall, too.

IIRC, the main dome light is ground triggered, I was thinking of doing this too let us know if you find the wiring diagram or how to do this Brett!
I'm really wanting to wire mine so they activate this way when I get my LED's, so I've done a little checking:

FYI the dome light and rest of the door activated lighting is ground triggered on my 2001.

The Map light is fed constant 12V and circuit is completed by push button.

You could leave the button depressed and run a ground trigger from one of the dome/door lights, this would cause the Map light to turn on with the dome light, but you would NOT be able to use the map light normally.

OR as LuvLexus already thought out:

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Not quite the same as what you guys are thinking however what you guys want to do I think could be done with a relay converting the negative door trigger to power the map light +. Get a micro relay since its not pulling a lot of power and it could probably all fit within the pillar!
OR again, LuvLexus's current set up would work too, you'd just have to squeeze it all in there:

Brett I've done the 'dome map light' mod inspired by member dj kevinnn, what I did in my situation was add an led board to each map light while keeping the stock map light bulbs and tied those two boards into the dome light circuit (both + and -) So when the dome light comes on so do the boards in the map lights and the regular map light still functions as always.

^You don't need to supply 12V from the entry circuit though, you would only need to feed it Negative, you can use the 12V + supply that's already there.
Overall it seems more complicated then originally thought.

I also want to install some underhood lighting , One thing at a time though...

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 02-10-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
You embarrass me.

Crisp pictures, and those boards look pretty good. If you have any purchase info, please post up or PM me. I'd be interested in a few different versions if possible.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Black Lion

The link to ebay that spideymom left seems to be decent looking boards and super cheap.. down side is the wait as was stated. Description says they are 3.2 x 2 inches. Im not sure if they would fit the 97 map and dome light. I'll take some measurements and see, this looks like a sweet deal compared to other prices out there for these led boards.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 PM

ok skool me here, can you get #74 leds for the cluster? and how do you plug these lights in for power? am i gonna have to solder or is it easy to splice?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
ok skool me here, can you get #74 leds for the cluster? and how do you plug these lights in for power? am i gonna have to solder or is it easy to splice?
The T5s for the cluster lights are available for dirt cheap on ebay LINK, I usually don't deal with them because if they're switched then the cluster wouldn't match the radio and center console lights and I don't feel like converting the whole car just yet.

The lights that I have for dome and maps are simply plug and play, they come with adapters for every kind of plug so theres no soldering of modifications required. Just a simple swap.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 AM

The T5s for the cluster lights are available for dirt cheap on ebay LINK, I usually don't deal with them because if they're switched then the cluster wouldn't match the radio and center console lights and I don't feel like converting the whole car just yet.

The lights that I have for dome and maps are simply plug and play, they come with adapters for every kind of plug so theres no soldering of modifications required. Just a simple swap.
can your supplier get t5 bulbs?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 AM

can your supplier get t5 bulbs?
I can get them but I'd have to order about 1000 of them and the problem is there aren't too many people that want them unfortunately.

I'd highly recommend getting them off ebay instead, heres another link on where they're listed for about 25 cents each shipped. They're the wedge lens type that you need for the cluster because they provide a more uniform light which reduces hotspots on the gauges. You only need about 5 for the actual backlighting for the gauges, the rest of the sockets are for the red and yellow warning lights.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-x-Blue-LED-T5-...#ht_3089wt_907
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Pony up a couple more dollars and get a better quality T5 wedge type. I just insalled some junk ebay ones and one of them blew a fuse, another fried a portion of the circuit board. Not to mention the light output sucks, and 90% of the LED's didn't fit tight enough, or were misalligned in the plastic housing.

I ordered 20 just to be safe, and ended up with less than half that were any good.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

If I were to purchase them again I'd buy something like this:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Fwled-whp6.htm

There are different types to choose from but that's the way I'd go.
Here a pic of the Ebay T5 single LED's:

As you can see, they are dim. And garbage build quality. The pictures acutally make them look nicer than they are in person. They're hotspotted too (despite being 'wide angle' LED's).

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-10-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Pony up a couple more dollars and get a better quality T5 wedge type. I just insalled some junk ebay ones and one of them blew a fuse, another fried a portion of the circuit board. Not to mention the light output sucks, and 90% of the LED's didn't fit tight enough, or were misalligned in the plastic housing.

I ordered 20 just to be safe, and ended up with less than half that were any good.
Wow didn't know that, I retract my previous comment then, I don't recommend anything off ebay so shop at your own risk!!

I do remember that those were the type that people used for the cluster, I'm just not sure where they got them from to ensure the quality was good.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 AM

You can get that single LED type from a few places, but if you're not paying $1.30+ per LED, then they're probably garbage. Heres a link for some that look half decent, single LEDs:
http://www.ledlight.com/t5-wedge-flat-led-light.aspx
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/t5+wedge+led.html

I'd still go with the SuperBrightLED multiple LED type, SMD or something like that. One LED is just not enough, and will always hotspot. I have to add a bunch more now, if I would have just bought the ones I linked in Post #66, I would only have to install one LED under each needle and I'd be done.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM

You can get that single LED type from a few places, but if you're not paying $1.30+ per LED, then they're probably garbage. Heres a link for some that look half decent, single LEDs:
http://www.ledlight.com/t5-wedge-flat-led-light.aspx
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/t5+wedge+led.html

I'd still go with the SuperBrightLED multiple LED type, SMD or something like that. One LED is just not enough, and will always hotspot. I have to add a bunch more now, if I would have just bought the ones I linked in Post #66, I would only have to install one LED under each needle and I'd be done.
i hear ya, but i got some from superbrightleds as well and i got some tasty hotspot action goin on and its not cool. im tempted to go back to stock.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM

i hear ya, but i got some from superbrightleds as well and i got some tasty hotspot action goin on and its not cool. im tempted to go back to stock.
Which ones did you get? Some hotspotting is inevitable unless you add a bunch of leds in locations other than the stock locations.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Need to do this to my interior too. Already have a pretty stout LED helmet light for my road bike.

Single LED light:

Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM

^ Thats impressive, might blind you inside your car though. :P

I have one of those flashlights from costco too and its amazing how much light comes out of one of those things. The biggest problem I'm having now is the heat, the brighter they are then the hotter they'll get obviously. Some of the high powered LEDs seem to be suffering from that which is why im getting a new type of bulb for the licence plates soon.

As to the issue with the gauge cluster, SuperBrightLEDs has some twist locks with built in LEDs here http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html

I would still be concerned about the light output and the hotspotting though, and they are a little pricey.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM

dont forget about your coin tray bulb.... I think its called a T5
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

^ Thats impressive, might blind you inside your car though. :P
Hadn't planned on using it in my car.

That's just 180 lumens, there is a light out there called the Betty Lupine II that puts out 1850 lumens, about 50% more than is legal for car headlights! That light is pretty much instant daylight!

The biggest problem I'm having now is the heat, the brighter they are then the hotter they'll get obviously.
My bike helmet one is vented and if I am stopped for more than a minute or so, output is automatically dimmed about 20% to prevent overheating.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM

As to the issue with the gauge cluster, SuperBrightLEDs has some twist locks with built in LEDs here http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html

I would still be concerned about the light output and the hotspotting though, and they are a little pricey.
t 1.5 is what i got. so im using 2 with 2 stock bulbs in my 01 cluster, but on my wifes 98 it looks ok, she doesnt notice the hotspots but i do.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Yeah they'll still hotspot. Those look like they may be for the ACC though.
Price isn't bad though IMO. Shipping is where they might ding you, but I dunno never dealt with them.

Originally Posted by scottygill
dont forget about your coin tray bulb.... I think its called a T5
If you're talking about the light over the ashtray, yes, it's a T5.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-10-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM

IIRC, the main dome light is ground triggered, I was thinking of doing this too let us know if you find the wiring diagram or how to do this Brett!
I'm really wanting to wire mine so they activate this way when I get my LED's, so I've done a little checking:

FYI the dome light and rest of the door activated lighting is ground triggered on my 2001.

The Map light is fed constant 12V and circuit is completed by push button.

You could leave the button depressed and run a ground trigger from one of the dome/door lights, this would cause the Map light to turn on with the dome light, but you would NOT be able to use the map light normally.

OR as LuvLexus already thought out:

Not quite the same as what you guys are thinking however what you guys want to do I think could be done with a relay converting the negative door trigger to power the map light +. Get a micro relay since its not pulling a lot of power and it could probably all fit within the pillar!
OR again, LuvLexus's current set up would work too, you'd just have to squeeze it all in there:

Brett I've done the 'dome map light' mod inspired by member dj kevinnn, what I did in my situation was add an led board to each map light while keeping the stock map light bulbs and tied those two boards into the dome light circuit (both + and -) So when the dome light comes on so do the boards in the map lights and the regular map light still functions as always.

^You don't need to supply 12V from the entry circuit though, you would only need to feed it Negative, you can use the 12V + supply that's already there.
Overall it seems more complicated then originally thought.

I also want to install some underhood lighting , One thing at a time though...
For anyone interested after reading this thread or buying the lights from OP (great guy to deal with BTW!!!):

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ome-turns.html

Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 PM

Why'd you have to sell your business! I want these...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Talk to Amerikaner83 if your interested in LED's. I think he is going to be putting together some LED bundles pretty soon.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM

I've recently done the LED conversion on my interior. superbrightleds.com has everything you need. I did run into one problem where they sent the wrong connector for a 5x6 grid. But they were quick to fix it. So far I haven't had a problem with any of them. I'll try to get some pictures posted later tonight as well as the bulbs I ordered.

Last edited by rebelhell; 10-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Dome/Map/Licence/Trunk Light Conversion [Picture heavy]