5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wiring Map Light(s) to function when Dome turns on

Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Wiring Map Light(s) to function when Dome turns on

EDITED March 14th 2011: How-To Install and pictures added. Wiring diagram Revised.

I know some of you were interested in wiring your Map light(s) to illuminate when the Dome turned on, and some of you already have.
Either way, I thought I'd let you know what I've figured out.
EDIT: I've included pictures of my install and a quick walk-through

The best way I see to do it properly:

Tap into the ground wire (Dome light to SECU [Smart Entrance Control Unit]) Terminal #31 between the SECU and Dome light and install a relay there. I'd do this AT the SECU, most room to work.
You want to hook this into the trigger side of the relay.

Here is the location of the SECU:

Then run a 2 Wire cord (preferrably one line with a tracer) from there, up to the Map light (up the Left A pillar and over).

The switch Wiring in the Map light seems to differ. I found 2 set ups.

1. On my car it's a Single Map light, and it is wired with power to one side of the switch, then when you press the switch power flows through the light and to ground. (standard switch set-up)

2. It appears on some models, with 2 map lights, power is supplied to the light bulbs, and the switches are installed on the ground side (makes the ground connection).

Hooking up the wiring for the first one is easier, all you have to do is attatch (solder) one wire to the bulb side (see wiring diagram), and one wire to the live (+) side. Then down at your relay, connect the wire you connected to live (+) to the relay, and connect the wire you connected to the bulb side on the other end.

Here is my amazing Wiring diagram of the new set-up:

The second way, you have to change the switch type for the Map light.
+ must be triggered by the push switch (before the bulb). That change is pretty straight forward, nothing real complicated, if there are any of you that don't understand how to do it, post a good picture of your Map lights (unit removed, picture of the back side wiring) and I'll show you what to do.

So with this set up, we have No diodes, everything operates normally, no extra bulbs. Only thing that changes, is the Map light comes on when the dome light illuminates

I thought I'd let you all know how to do it, in case you were scratching your heads on it, I know some of you have done different things to get this function, some pretty creative, some a little chinsy, anyways...

I know initially you'd just think, jump a wire from the Dome light, and if you don't have a sunroof, I'd consider it.

I have a sunroof though so this is the best way I can think of (to have it operate properly without installing extra lights and non-sense)

Please scroll down to Post #4 for the How-To and Pictures of Install

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-14-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 AM

Man, you always do write ups for all the lighting mods I'm looking for
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

thats what im talking about
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM

How-To/Walk Through with Pics

It finally stopped raining/snowing for a day so I installed my relay.
Everything works too

So you've got a pretty good instruction in the OP, I won't repeat much, mostly just provide pictures. Please ask if I've left anything unclear.

Pull out the Map Light, and unscrew the Sunglass holder. Also pop the cover off the Left A-Pillar. This pic shows all 3 removed, and my wire fish run through already:

Now run your wire fish from the corner of the headliner on the A-Pillar side into the sunglass holder hole. You can probably use a coat hanger or just push the wire through, it's pretty easy going, everything is framed in the corner.

Hook your 2wire cord onto the wire fish, and feed it through toward the A-Pillar

Now you want to run the wire fish from the fuse panel area (by pedals) up to the A-Pillar base (top of dash). Hook up again and pull through. This pic is with the wire already run.

Now the easy part Locate your SECU, remove the harness connectors (3) and move the wiring so you can work with it easier. And Use my Guide in the OP to locate the proper terminal. It`s a process of elimination to find the harness you want, mine was the middle one, I would assume all years will be the same. I know the terminal designation is the same.

Here`s the wire we want.

Now cut it.

That`s right, only genuine Nissan Parts Any standard SPST relay will work.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I kind of cheated with this wiring cause I ran out of female spades and I wanted to get it done. So the Constant power wire (has red insulation on it in pic) needs to be doubled up (split wire, add 2 female spade connectors). You`ll see what I did in the second pic

Above is everything hooked up except the Ground (terminal wire you cut).

I Forgot a pic of the Crimp on the Terminal wire. You just want to join them together into a Female spade connector, you can see it pretty clearly in the pic below (red wire).

Please ignore the crudity of the wiring install, it's temporary, I'll be installing a SPDT Relay to run my LED handle lighting, at that point I'll be re-doing the wiring and mounting the Relay

Now, wire in that MAP Light. Hook up the Constant Positive wire (with tracer) to the Constant Positive connection at the Switch

And then hook up the intermittent Positive wire (no tracer) to the output side of the switch (to bulb). I didn`t post a pic of this cause I couldn`t get a good enough picture of it.

Plug in the SECU harnesses, the MAP light and DOME light should come on (if you hooked everything up correctly, and the door is open)

If everything works, install all components and make sure all wiring, etc is secure. And enjoy your new modifcation every time you open your door or unlock your car!

Lights off:

Unlock button pressed, lights illuminate:

Door opened:

Just so you know, you can`t shut off your MAP light while the door is open, I don`t know why you`d want to though. It still functions normally when the doors are closed.

Another great thing about this mod is, you can shut off the Dome light and have only the MAP light illuminate if you want to (kids in the back sleeping, but you still need light when the door opens)

Enjoy!

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-31-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Awesome write up, this is tempting. How long did the whole thing take you to do?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM

definitely has been on my mind! will be using this. thanks a million. of course ill pm if i have questions
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
Awesome write up, this is tempting. How long did the whole thing take you to do?
Working out the wiring took about 30-60 mins of hunting, you don't have to bother with that now though, I've provided it.

As far as the install, I ran the wires and soldered/wired the MAP light one night (20 minutes?)
Then when the weather got nice I installed the relay, that took 10 minutes?

I would estimate 30 minutes to 1hr you should be able to complete, if you have everything necessary close-by. Just remember, I don't know if the Colour code is the same for all years. But I do know that the Terminal designation on the SECU is the same. So just count terminal positions.

You can always use a test light or DMM/Voltmeter to double check before cutting the wire if you're unsure.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Tuner just to be clear. Terminal #31, wire color R, provides a ground or a 12v+ when the interior lights come on?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Tuner just to be clear. Terminal #31, wire color R, provides a ground or a 12v+ when the interior lights come on?
Ground.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM

can ull help me out on wht type or size of bulbs i need in a 2002 maxima? the 3 top light on the roof? and the 2 lower door panel bulbs?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 5th gen junkie
can ull help me out on wht type or size of bulbs i need in a 2002 maxima? the 3 top light on the roof? and the 2 lower door panel bulbs?

1) learn to spell
2) search
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM

Okie sorry and don't act like u never missed spell anything Whatever dude all I asked was for help but all u care about is my spelling wowowow
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM

does this "mod" make the map lights "dim on" " dim off" like the dome light??
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Yes they function the exact same as the dome light
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM

And with me having a 03, I would need to run two relays instead of one??
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 AM

No. You're just using the one relay to send power to the map light(s) when the dome is on. that power can be split and sent to as many places as you want within reason (as long as you don't overpower the relay)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Get Off My Lawn

May look into this...car is poorly lit at night. Glad I don't have a sunroof! I still think it would be easier to run a wire around the sunroof, but that's just me I guess.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

You can't run it around the headliner is glued, you'd have to pull it down likely, and once you touch headliners in my experience, they are bytched.

Also, the Dome light is ground triggered, so unless the MAP light is ground triggered (its NOT), that won't really work anyways unless you disable the normal on/off function of the map light.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Headliner isn't glued to the roof, theres clips and stuff. Just saying going to look into it. this has motivated me! Besides, I've removed my center dome light and wired in a DVD player. I think it's doable.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM

^Cool man post what you come up with! It'd be awesome to have another route, especially for those without a sunroof
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM

This is just the thread i was looking for! Only I dont want to hook up the map light i want to hook up some led courtesy door handle lights and i was wondering if the same hookup would work. Could i still run the lights to the SECU box and it would work the same as tapping into the dome light? Because i really dont wanna have to remove the headliner. Also i have the sky light too which may end up giving me trouble.... ive heard. If i can hook up the courtesy lights in the SECU could i do it without the relay? Any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for takin the time to write up this whole thing! great job
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow great write tune , got me thinking bout doin this now....
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dh4pres
This is just the thread i was looking for! Only I dont want to hook up the map light i want to hook up some led courtesy door handle lights and i was wondering if the same hookup would work. Could i still run the lights to the SECU box and it would work the same as tapping into the dome light? Because i really dont wanna have to remove the headliner. Also i have the sky light too which may end up giving me trouble.... ive heard. If i can hook up the courtesy lights in the SECU could i do it without the relay? Any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for takin the time to write up this whole thing! great job
You COULD run the LED's ground triggered via the SECU terminal i mentioned, BUT, there's a possibility of overloading the ground circuit in the SECU and thusly damaging the Circuit board inside the SECU. This is unlikely especially if you've upgraded your dome light to LEDs, and are only installing a minimal amount of LED's on the circuit, but it IS possible.

It's for this reason that I'd suggest running a relay still. In addition, hardwiring like you're thinking would require you to run LIVE POWER wires to your LEDs, which would require tapping into a common ACC power wire.

For Courtesy/Puddle light applications I would recommend running dedicated power to the relay and using the ground to trigger it just as I illustrated. This will give you a solid Accessory power source triggered via the SECU dome light activation. If you install a SPDT (double throw/trigger) relay, then you can add a separate switch that would override as well and allow you to turn your additional lights on at your convenience.

If this^ is confusing let me know, I can elaborate or draw a diagram of how to do it.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-03-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Okay I sorta follow you.. No i dont want to hardwire it so i guess ill use the relay. The only thing i dont understand is what does the relay do? If you could explain in a diagram or a message like this ^ one that you just wrote. How exactly you would hook it up that would be greatly appreciated! I have 24 gauge speaker wire that i was gonna use is that too thin? Should i get some thicker gauge wire? Thank you for your help so far! And where can i get these relays?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM

^ Do a little Googling on SPST (Single pole single throw) relays, I'll get to an explaination with pics as soon as possible and post back.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Okay thank you. So if I understand correctly I should get a double throw so that the dome light and the handle lights will go on at the same time right? And how much current will be sent to the handle lights? Because I need to calculate what kinda resistors I need on the wires
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Would a 12v relay be okay? It's only 4 3" strips that have 3 leds on each strip. Actually now that I think about it a spst would work fine right?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM

And also I'm going to need a constant 12V current going to the relay right? So what would you suggest I tap into for that? So with the way that it would be wired(the same as what you did except to the handle lights instead of the map light) when I press the unlock button on the key fob it would activate the relay which would turn on both the lights?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Using this guide to install other items triggered by the Dome light

Ok just to add to this, for buddy above's questions and for anyone else who needs more guidance:

Here is a basic SPST relay diagram (more pretty pictures):

So it's quite simple.

1. You hook up Battery power from any source that is on while your key is on to terminal 85. As long as the wire is bigger than 18 Gauge, you'll be fine. This is your "TRIGGER" wire feed. Whenever the key is on, you'll have power at this terminal now.
2. Then splice into SECU terminal #31, and run a wire from that splice point to terminal 86 on the relay. (this is your ACTUAL TRIGGER, when this ground is activated, the relay 'closes' the circuit and allows power to flow)
3. Now you want to hook up "big power" to terminal 30 on the relay. How big and where you get it from is all up to how much stuff you're running off this relay. If you're only installing 10 standard individual LED's, you'll be fine with taking this power from any 15A fused circuit inside the car. I would suggest AUDIO. You SHOULD BE GETTING THIS POWER DIRECTLY FROM THE FUSE PANEL, OR FROM UNDER THE HOOD.
If you're running more or just want to be safe, run a 12 Gauge wire directly off the battery + terminal and make sure to install an inline fuse that is the right amperage for what you're installing (Probably less than 5 Amps)
4. Lastly, you run whatever you are powering onto terminal 87.

All of this information and MUCH more can be found by googling. search 12V forums, they're all over.

As far as which relay to use, anything that is labled 12 VDC, and rated at 10A or more will be more than you need. I recommend SPST (single pole, single throw. NORMALLY OPEN. <<<< YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE IT'S NORMALLY OPEN, they make normally closed relays, and that will screw this whole thing up!!

If you want anything different in the way of relays, then you don't need this guide. You're advanced enough already at wiring to figure it out for yourself

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-06-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Thank you so much! It makes perfect sense! Probably going to start tomorrow after my inspection . I will have four strips of streetglow "3 led strips that have 3 leds on each one. So im thinking I'll just run the wire directly to the battery. So what size inline fuse would you recommend?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 AM

Thank you so much! It makes perfect sense! Probably going to start tomorrow after my inspection . I will have four strips of streetglow "3 led strips that have 3 leds on each one. So im thinking I'll just run the wire directly to the battery. So what size inline fuse would you recommend?
You don't need to run to the battery but it won't hurt as long as you run it properly. And 2.5 amps should be good. No higher than 5 amps.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Well if i dont need to run it to the battery where do i run it? And where am i getting my 12v power from with the 85 terminal?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM

So it would be fine if tapped into a fuse that is under the dash in the cabin?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM

^Yes. and power to #85 can come from anywhere as i said as long as its on when the key is. Cigarette lighter will work
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Tell me if im wrong or not. Im going to connect the positive(+) of the LEDs to the 85 terminal then im going to connect the negative(-) of the LEDs to the 87 terminal. Then cut the wire from the secu and splice it together and stick it in the 86 terminal. Then finally run a wire from the 30 terminal and tap into a wire that has a fuse on it
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM

But the only time i want the lights in is when i click the key fob to unlock the car and then when all the doors are closed the lights go out. when the car is on i dont want the lights to be on. wouldnt the ground trigger the relay which would turn on the lights and dome light when the key fob is clicked therefore i dont need to have power that is on when the key is
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Tell me if im wrong or not. Im going to connect the positive(+) of the LEDs to the 85 terminal then im going to connect the negative(-) of the LEDs to the 87 terminal. Then cut the wire from the secu and splice it together and stick it in the 86 terminal. Then finally run a wire from the 30 terminal and tap into a wire that has a fuse on it
No. You connect the LED + to terminal 87. Then the - of the LEDs goes to ground, wherever you install them you can find a ground and ground them there. I see how you got confused by the picture saying ground though.

Terminal 85 is where you hook up a wire from the + on the Cigarette lighter (or wherever you get power)

But the only time i want the lights in is when i click the key fob to unlock the car and then when all the doors are closed the lights go out. when the car is on i dont want the lights to be on. wouldnt the ground trigger the relay which would turn on the lights and dome light when the key fob is clicked therefore i dont need to have power that is on when the key is
If you hook it up the way I told you that's exactly how it will work.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Can I ground the LEDs to like say a metal panel under the hood? Sry if your getting like really annoyed with me but just to make sure were on the same page.. I'm getting power from the lighter and sending it to 85 the spliced wire from the secu is going to 86 the LEDs are on 87 and then I'm taping into a fused wire for 30 preferrebly audio?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Also if I remove one of the secu terminals will anything happen? Like erasing trip mileage or anything? And I just have to find the terminal that is wired exactly the same as yours?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring Map Light(s) to function when Dome turns on