5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sunroof starts to close....then opens

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Sunroof starts to close....then opens

Hey all. I'm having a problem with my 03SE that I was hoping someone could help me with. I searched through the threads and couldn't come across this same problem, so here goes:

The sunroof opens fine, and by open I mean slid back, not tilted up. When I slide the switch forward to close it, it starts to close, then when it gets to the last few inches, it stops and reverses a few inches as if it hit something and a safety feature engaged. When I slide the switch backward to open it some more then forward again, it usually closes all the way just fine.

Is there some sort of safety feature that could be dirty, in need of adjustment or replacing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 AM

My drivers side window does that. Try rocking the switch forward on and off as you close it. Or you could spend the money to find the problem and fix it. But I think rocking the switch will work.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 AM

It is a safety mechanism that it pops back. Yes a rather irritating one at that. Your likely culprit is either your sunroof rails are dry or dusty or the gear mechanism needs to be lubed. Another possibility is your sunroof motor is also on it's way out.

You can try the sunroof reset procedure (Hold the sunroof vent button for more than 30 seconds then keep pressing the sunroof close button until it is closed) but sometimes the car doesn't want to activate it.

If you get into a bind I have put together a little how-to to get the sunroof to close when it gets completely stuck. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver and about 10 minutes if that.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
It is a safety mechanism that it pops back. Yes a rather irritating one at that. Your likely culprit is either your sunroof rails are dry or dusty or the gear mechanism needs to be lubed. Another possibility is your sunroof motor is also on it's way out.

You can try the sunroof reset procedure (Hold the sunroof vent button for more than 30 seconds then keep pressing the sunroof close button until it is closed) but sometimes the car doesn't want to activate it.

If you get into a bind I have put together a little how-to to get the sunroof to close when it gets completely stuck. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver and about 10 minutes if that.
Can you post the DIY? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

is there some sort of sensor that will tell if something (a hand for example) gets in the way of it closing?

the mechanism seems to slide OK and isn't binding up but I will clean and re-lube it just to be sure.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM

No I think it reads the load off the breaker in the motor housing (The thing you hear click) then backs off from that. I'm going to try to replace the breaker this weekend to see if that helps my problem at all.

BTW this is that write up to close the sunroof in a 5th gen. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...oof-close.html
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
No I think it reads the load off the breaker in the motor housing (The thing you hear click) then backs off from that. I'm going to try to replace the breaker this weekend to see if that helps my problem at all.

BTW this is that write up to close the sunroof in a 5th gen. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...oof-close.html
Took apart the motor and cleaned the armature with a contact cleaning pen. Motor is working pretty good now. Looks like thee carbon scoring was messing up the voltages going back to whichever brain controls the sunroof.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Lubrication helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Lubrication helps.
This statement may be applied to many different situations

Any particular lube better or worse for the tracks?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM

The stuff that seems to help the most is white lithium grease. Seems to help keep the whole thing from spazing out.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Lubrication helps.
From what I've seen this is usually true in just about every aspect of life.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM

LOL!!!!!!

I agree 1,000%