5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

who installed thier own o2 sim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM

who installed thier own o2 sim?

okay so I just received my dual output o2 sim courtesy of hustle (thanks). It came with instructions but it doesnt really make any sense to me. Before I start hacking up wires and soldering this in I am hoping somebody out there can point me in the right direction.

Background: I just installed obx v2 headers and was not able to weld in the extra bung needed for the last o2 sensor. Currently that sensor (the one with harness behind VIAS) Is plugged in and held off to the side with a zip tie. As a result I have SES and am running extremely rich.

Am I supposed to wire the sim on the harness that has the unplugged o2 sensor? Will this correct my a/f ratio and clear the SES? OR will it just clear the SES and I need a piggyback to fix my AF ratio?

Is it as straight forward as it looks? black to black, red to red, and white to white and then just leave the extra white loose or plug it into another sensor?

I have read a few write ups on how to do this but am still confused. The instructions are not consistent so I'm not sure which applies to me. Most of the write ups show for a car that has all the harnesses in front of engine cover. (mine has 3 in front and 1 behind engine).

I know there are some electrical gurus out there... can somebody please help me?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM

You're going to want to wire the sim to both of your downstream sensors, for which the connectors are both on the front of the engine. They are 4-wire connectors, not the three wire like the primaries. You will wire the power to just one of the sensors, but connect the white to both sensors. Also, you will want to either install the right resistor in the circuit or leave the o2's plugged in so that you don't get a heater circuit code
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM

okay yeah so I just realized that sensor I have that isnt hooked up only has 3 wires...

So I hook it in the two that have 4 wires? So right now I dont have one of the 3 wire ones hooked up (I guess that is a primary)... so Should I unscrew one of the secondary ones to plug in the primary that is unhooked? Will this fix my AF ratio?

and I can just splice these wires on and I dont actually cut the wires is that right?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM

sooooo can i get my i trader please???
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
okay yeah so I just realized that sensor I have that isnt hooked up only has 3 wires...

So I hook it in the two that have 4 wires? So right now I dont have one of the 3 wire ones hooked up (I guess that is a primary)... so Should I unscrew one of the secondary ones to plug in the primary that is unhooked? Will this fix my AF ratio?

and I can just splice these wires on and I dont actually cut the wires is that right?
Not sure why you're switching around primaries and secondaries but you really don't have to.

Locate the two secondary sensor harnesses and start from there; the one in the back by the firewall is a primary for the rear bank, so you don't need to even touch that. You will need to cut and intercept the signal wires from the secondary O2s, tapping will not simulate the correct signal.

I'm pretty confident that my write up is correct, I hope this helps:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tallation.html

PM me if you have questions, because I haven't had time to check in here as much as I used to.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Getting that primary o2 back in should be your main concern. It should fix the afr. Right now it's reading like there's no gas going into those 3 cylinders, so it's probably just dumping as much fuel as the ecu is willing to. Plug that sucker in, then worry about the sim
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM

Background: I just installed obx v2 headers and was not able to weld in the extra bung needed for the last o2 sensor. Currently that sensor (the one with harness behind VIAS) Is plugged in and held off to the side with a zip tie. As a result I have SES and am running extremely rich.
Am missing something here? I just had OBX headers installed as well, however, there were 4 bungs in the header for 4 O2 sensors--two for each bank. Is there a 5th one that me and my buddy missed? I am getting an SES light.

Also, is an 02 sim capable of allowing my Max to pass emissions? I won't be getting emissioned for another year, but I'm just making sure I am ready when the time comes. Otherwise, the solution below seems to be able to:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/600107-good-god-works.html

For those more knowledgeable than me, what are the pros and cons of each solution?

Oh, and apparently, the last method above, is used as a trick to save on gas: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...n-foulers.html
Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
Getting that primary o2 back in should be your main concern. It should fix the afr. Right now it's reading like there's no gas going into those 3 cylinders, so it's probably just dumping as much fuel as the ecu is willing to. Plug that sucker in, then worry about the sim
okay so I should unplug one of the secondaries to put that primary back in and then I can wire the sim on the secondary and I should be good right?

Man I really scewed this up, I have the wrong sensor plugged in wtf Im an idiot lol
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM

okay so I should unplug one of the secondaries to put that primary back in and then I can wire the sim on the secondary and I should be good right?

Man I really scewed this up, I have the wrong sensor plugged in wtf Im an idiot lol
So, if I understand correctly, you don't have the rear primary bung relocated, which is like my install. For my install, I extended the primary o2 wires a couple feet and put the sensor in the bung that's kind of in the middle of the turn on the pipe. Then wire in the secondary o2's and plug in those sensors, then leave them ziptied somewhere.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM

alright I have a graphic to explain what I have right now and hopefully this can all be cleared up.

I have the front primary in bung 1, secondaries in positions 2 and 3.

Can somebody explain what the proper setup would be using this diagram and numbered positions?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM

LMAO!!! at the drawing... got a v8 max huh... jk
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM

He swapped in a 5.0.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM

I have the front primary in bung 1, secondaries in positions 2 and 3.

Can somebody explain what the proper setup would be using this diagram and numbered positions?
put the other primary in bung 3 and plug bung 2, then zip tie the sim'd sensors somewhere

Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
Am missing something here? I just had OBX headers installed as well, however, there were 4 bungs in the header for 4 O2 sensors--two for each bank. Is there a 5th one that me and my buddy missed? I am getting an SES light.
there are 4 bungs,2 on the front and 2 on the rear.

Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
Also, is an 02 sim capable of allowing my Max to pass emissions? I won't be getting emissioned for another year, but I'm just making sure I am ready when the time comes.
yes. the sim will get rid of the light youre likely getting from the secondary sensors. those sensors are meant to detect the precats (basically) and will throw codes if you remove the precats (install headers). you just need to sim them
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM

after i gave the man his only itrader, he wont return the favor... geesh man, i'd like to keep my rep positive u know... can somebody tell this guy what the itrader is, and share it after a sale lol... nzelinsky is cool dudes though lol
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
after i gave the man his only itrader, he wont return the favor... geesh man, i'd like to keep my rep positive u know... can somebody tell this guy what the itrader is, and share it after a sale lol... nzelinsky is cool dudes though lol
Alright man chill on this one. I haven't done it because I am preoccupied with trying to fix my car. And I have no idea what itrader is... how do I do it? shoot me a pm ur muckin up my thread
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
LMAO!!! at the drawing... got a v8 max huh... jk
Oh yeah lol didnt I mention I swapped a titan engine into the max!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM

O2 Sim Installation guide

Here's a diagram of a homemade O2 simulator, but also illustrates the proper installation of an O2 sim. It also includes installation of the heater resistor, for complete removal of the O2 sensor. Some have had luck with the 20Ohm/20Watt resistor, others, 2 15Ohm/10Watt resistors in series.

Update 12/20/09:
I built the above circuit and passed inspection today in NJ. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Last edited by roc1479; 12-30-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM

o2 simulators are the way to go!