5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lost...questions on VQ35 6 Speed Swap on a 2000 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 AM

Lost...questions on VQ35 6 Speed Swap on a 2000 5th gen

I'm completely lost on how to start this swap and a few other things.

First, how hard will it be to do? I have an auto vq30de-k with 155,000 miles and id like to swap it out fore a 6 speed vq35.

Second, what are all the parts I need?

obviously I need, the FWD Vq35, and a 6 speed transmission, but is there anything beyond that?

Any help would be appreciated. I have the money to do the swap, I just need help on details.

Also does anyone know anyone good in the New York area that can do the swap?

cheers
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Okay I'm gonna be really honest with you...its actually cheaper to sell the car and buy a 2002-2003 Maxima with that setup.

but if you really want to do it, in the stickies would be all the info.

There are two ways to do the engine
-with the a33b harness and all the wiring
or
-with the 3.0 timing and keeping your ecu and not alot of wiring

you don't get the vvt with the second option and you loose a little power.

3 threads in here have all the swap info you need:
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/4...swap-info.html

As far as doing the manual swap, it would be like doing the 5 speed swap but with 6 speed parts.

this thread has the parts list for what you need as far as 5 speed swap goes, the second is info about converting over to 6 speed.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...arts-list.html
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...edure-faq.html

BUT seriously sell it and buy the 5.5 gen.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 AM

When you entered this section, There are numerious threads at the very top of the page full of Information. I assume you didnt see it as it has all the information to do everything you need done.

check the stickies please, if you have questions after reading all of that, search, and then make a thread.

just for a quick summary (kinda board):

this might be my biased opinion but nothing about these swaps are hard if you've done your research and read up on it. It is more a matter of being labor intensive and require you to pay attention to detail and take your time and do the job right. If you know how to remove the motor/transmission, read the fsm, and understand torque sequences, and how to set timing, this wont be a difficult process. Be prepaired for down time and unexpected thigns to break
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM

now that I see you have a 5th gen. I'd second buying a 5.5th gen if you can find one at a decent price and in the color you want. vq35 swap is very advantageous for the 4th but the 5th gens dont see the gain as much as 4th gens.

I think you could find a good 5.5th gen manaul here on this forums... Shop and around and decide if you wish to spend a large amount of money to do that swap with motor and tranny, plus have lots of down time etc... or sell yours and buy another...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM

id get a 5.5 gen but its so hard to find a manual and they are very expensive.

my 2000 is black with tan leather and besides the motor is in almost mint condition. ive been in the market for a good 5.5 in stick but i just cant find one.

i also completely own my 5.5 gen. im hoping the swap would be around 3-4 gs, which would be cheaper than buying a new car for almost 8s and it probably wont even be what i want.

Last edited by User 12822; 03-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM

if your motor is mint why swap? I know many of us swapped because of a dying motor. I swapped when my motor was perfectly fine but I have a 4th gen so I stood more to gain.

Honnestly in your shoes I'd suggest forced induction. Depending on your route it can be cheaper. If you wanted to turbo charge and boost at about 5lbs I can see it done for about $1800 (arguably).
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if your motor is mint why swap? I know many of us swapped because of a dying motor. I swapped when my motor was perfectly fine but I have a 4th gen so I stood more to gain.

Honnestly in your shoes I'd suggest forced induction. Depending on your route it can be cheaper. If you wanted to turbo charge and boost at about 5lbs I can see it done for about $1800 (arguably).
You think it would be better to turbo and do a 5 speed swap?

its just that my current motor is at 155,000 miles and i used to beat on it A LOT.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM

I would first identify my goals. Do you want a certain powerlevel? worried about reliability? have a limited budget? are you mechanically enclined? Able to fix just about anything that can go wrong?

These weigh heavily in a decision of swapping in another motor, or forced induction, or even nitrous should you choose that route.

Mileage on the more is a small peek as the to motors health. A Compression test at least is needed to see how healthy the motor is. Depending on the results and whether there is a consistency between all cylinders or not will let you know whether forced induction should be done.

If I was in your shoes I for sure would want a 5spd, and if I couldnt transition to a 5.5th gen without a lot of money coming from my pocket, but I want a glob more power I would look into forced induction. Also how long do you plan to keep the car is another factor.

basically you really gotta sit down and figure out what you really want, once you do the options start to narrow down.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM

MDeezy is right you have to identify your goals. i will be doing a 3.5 swap in my 4th gen but only because i have more to gain. my engine has 175k on it and i drive it hard every day. if i was you and had that money i would do the tranny swap and forced induction. assuming the compression test come out equal.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM

I know I definitely want the following:

-Manual Transmission
-to keep the car through college, so at least another 2-3 years.
-get some reliable power

the car is slow right now, my cat is clogged, the car runs 16 flat...

Would the car be faster with 5 speed swap and a turbo?

or with a 6 speed swap with a 35?

im completely open to the idea of turboeing my dek but my only fear is if they engine can handle it, 155000 miles is a good amount. where can i get one of these compression tests?

i am aware the 5 speed swap and turbo would actually be cheaper than the 6 speed 35 swap, it just comes down to if it will be reliable.

Last edited by User 12822; 03-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM

thanks for the help so far btw guys
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 PM

boosted vehicles are less reliable than N/A. if properly setup and tuned it can be reliable but still the un expected should be expected.

turbo 5spd would be faster than 3.5 6 speed.

155k could seem like a lot but if you do a compression test and read 180 +/- 2 across all cylinders... looks like you have a healthy motor.

you can get a good compression test from almost anywhere. Harbor freight has a good one. $20. check online also.

If your car is slow now and clogged cat etc... a tune up and a few bolt ons could liven the car up. Just depends on do you want 10hp more or 60hp more...

At the end of the day N/A is always more reliable than F/I but if done properly and you do regular inspections and install is done with precision the f/i can be reliable also, but it naturally will eat your pockets more.

how much work have you done on a VQ? how familiar are you with it? If you decided to turbo charge do you know the steps needed? if you decided to do the 3.5 swap do you know the steps needed.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM

boosted vehicles are less reliable than N/A. if properly setup and tuned it can be reliable but still the un expected should be expected.

turbo 5spd would be faster than 3.5 6 speed.

155k could seem like a lot but if you do a compression test and read 180 +/- 2 across all cylinders... looks like you have a healthy motor.

you can get a good compression test from almost anywhere. Harbor freight has a good one. $20. check online also.

If your car is slow now and clogged cat etc... a tune up and a few bolt ons could liven the car up. Just depends on do you want 10hp more or 60hp more...

At the end of the day N/A is always more reliable than F/I but if done properly and you do regular inspections and install is done with precision the f/i can be reliable also, but it naturally will eat your pockets more.

how much work have you done on a VQ? how familiar are you with it? If you decided to turbo charge do you know the steps needed? if you decided to do the 3.5 swap do you know the steps needed.
how fast exactly would the turbo 5 speed be? 13s? low 13s?

and im definitely aware turboing it will be more risky but it seems like if my compression test comes out okay it might be a better road to roll on.

and ive done no serious work worth mentioning, all ive done is intake and drop resistor mod. a bottle of mayonnaise has enough intelligence to pull off such procedures.

i guess my biggest question for the turbo set up is how will my gas millage look like? at least with the vq35 i have an idea what im going to get.

i feel like the turbo will be the best bang for my buck and give me a great upgrade in terms of speed but like stated in the stickies, ill run into problems and i wont really know what to do.

with the vq35 swap its just matter of collecting all the parts and dropping them in.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM

i was thinking of doing same thing with my 00 max but i think i would keep my 5 spd... cuz my engine has same miles and it has been beaten on alot by previous owner so i might still go 3.5 swap soon... 3.5 plus that sfr turbo kit sounds delicious to me lol but thats when i get money to do it lol
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Turbo'd Saab

you can turn the car for $6k (like I did) and there are a few of the 5.5s out there for 8-10K (from what i've seen), so if you have 3-4k$ for this swap, you can end up with a 5.5 the way you want. It takes a while to find, remember only about 5% of all maxima's made between the two years were 6 speeds.

Doing this swap isn't hard but the down time you will have with sorting out all the issues, not to mention the problem you have with NY state inspections (I lived there I know). It can be done, we are just trying to tell you that it would be more of an advantage to just sell and buy a 5.5.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
how fast exactly would the turbo 5 speed be? 13s? low 13s?

and im definitely aware turboing it will be more risky but it seems like if my compression test comes out okay it might be a better road to roll on.

and ive done no serious work worth mentioning, all ive done is intake and drop resistor mod. a bottle of mayonnaise has enough intelligence to pull off such procedures.

i guess my biggest question for the turbo set up is how will my gas millage look like? at least with the vq35 i have an idea what im going to get.

i feel like the turbo will be the best bang for my buck and give me a great upgrade in terms of speed but like stated in the stickies, ill run into problems and i wont really know what to do.

with the vq35 swap its just matter of collecting all the parts and dropping them in.
5spd and turbo can be as fast as your pockets can make it. There is no definitive answer as its going to be based of way too many factors, how much boost you run, what size turbo you use, etc... look at the time slips section and at the top you'll see the fasts maximas and click their link for mods and see their setup. That can give you an idea as to how much boost they needed to run and the mods they did.

Gas mileage is as good as you allow it, If you stay out of boost you should see about regular gas consumption, but of course once you start to get on it, that goes out the window.

either option you choose will be labor intensive. Then Turbo charging tuning will be involved, if you cant do that then you'll need to take it to a tuner who (preferably) knows what they are doing and how to tune the vq35.

You havent done much modification but if you do your research and know how to follow directions you'll be fine. When I did the swap the only mods my car had was CF hood, 97+ Trunk lid, some leds, I hadn't done anything like this but I made sure I did my research and knew how to get it done. 3 days... swap was done.

check edmunds.com get an estimate of what your car is worth in its current position. Do a search on various mediums for Maxima's 6spd and see the average price. If the gape between the value of your car and of a 6psd 5.5th is about what you'd spend anyway to do the 3.5 swap or turbo charge, then I'd push for selling current car for a new one, and do some bolts ons. the 5spd and a few bolt ons a lone on a 5.5th will feel great!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 AM

5spd and turbo can be as fast as your pockets can make it. There is no definitive answer as its going to be based of way too many factors, how much boost you run, what size turbo you use, etc... look at the time slips section and at the top you'll see the fasts maximas and click their link for mods and see their setup. That can give you an idea as to how much boost they needed to run and the mods they did.

Gas mileage is as good as you allow it, If you stay out of boost you should see about regular gas consumption, but of course once you start to get on it, that goes out the window.

either option you choose will be labor intensive. Then Turbo charging tuning will be involved, if you cant do that then you'll need to take it to a tuner who (preferably) knows what they are doing and how to tune the vq35.

You havent done much modification but if you do your research and know how to follow directions you'll be fine. When I did the swap the only mods my car had was CF hood, 97+ Trunk lid, some leds, I hadn't done anything like this but I made sure I did my research and knew how to get it done. 3 days... swap was done.

check edmunds.com get an estimate of what your car is worth in its current position. Do a search on various mediums for Maxima's 6spd and see the average price. If the gape between the value of your car and of a 6psd 5.5th is about what you'd spend anyway to do the 3.5 swap or turbo charge, then I'd push for selling current car for a new one, and do some bolts ons. the 5spd and a few bolt ons a lone on a 5.5th will feel great!
Once again man thanks for helping me out.

Something I should have added, the car is currently a family car, my father owns it. I'm also turning 19 in a couple of months and I told him I want a new car and he agreed to co sign. The thing is, he's put a lot of money into the car since we bought it, he also owns it completely. Since I'm his son he agreed to sell me the car at a "family discount" of $2000. I agreed to this because the car is worth much more than, probably about $5000.

I want to buy it because although they let me drive it, they don't let me really d anything to it. Thus when I buy it he said I can do what I want.

Thus the trading for a 5.5 gen is a good idea, but only if I had already owned the car. I still have to buy it for 2gs, I currently have four and will have 6 in about a month or two.

I thought it over today and I think I'd like to go with the 6 speed vq35 swap. The turbo is a great idea but its not reliable, I need something that will get me back and forth to school safely.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how much a vq35 6 speed swap would cost? I only need to know to the nearest G.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 AM

I see. I'd ballpark $~3k

If I was in your shoes. I'd buy the car, do a full tune up, And maybe Lower the car and exhaust, and save the rest. Keep that as post college mod money. So when you get out and your ready to get lets say a G35... you sell your car/trade it, pick up a G and you have lets say 3k sitting a side. Alread you could do coilovers, and a sick set of wheels, or a gang of mods and have your next car looking good already.

but if your determined to go the route you want now. then start shopping. Read the stickies at the top of this thread for 3.5 swap (full 3.5 swap), and get familiar with the motor soon to come...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to figure out what you want to do and how much money you have to spend doing it before we can tell you exactly how to do it. Until then...moved.

Either way, the information is here.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM

you're not ready for boost.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
Once again man thanks for helping me out.

Something I should have added, the car is currently a family car, my father owns it. I'm also turning 19 in a couple of months and I told him I want a new car and he agreed to co sign. The thing is, he's put a lot of money into the car since we bought it, he also owns it completely. Since I'm his son he agreed to sell me the car at a "family discount" of $2000. I agreed to this because the car is worth much more than, probably about $5000.

I want to buy it because although they let me drive it, they don't let me really d anything to it. Thus when I buy it he said I can do what I want.

Thus the trading for a 5.5 gen is a good idea, but only if I had already owned the car. I still have to buy it for 2gs, I currently have four and will have 6 in about a month or two.

I thought it over today and I think I'd like to go with the 6 speed vq35 swap. The turbo is a great idea but its not reliable, I need something that will get me back and forth to school safely.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how much a vq35 6 speed swap would cost? I only need to know to the nearest G.
buy the car. Sell it for $3500-$4000. Wait till you have 8K and then go buy a NICE low mileage 5.5 gen.
my bro bought an 03 SE w/ 80K miles for 6k. You just have to look around and wait for a good deal..
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by choiiiiiiiiiii
you're not ready for boost.
He's not ready to perform this type of swap either.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im tryin to do a 6spd swap into a 01 3.0 does anyone have any info or doing this if so can u message it to me or a place were i can find it I have the trans shift box and cables and starter just need to know if the clutch is diffrent and how to do the wiring thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM

I would assume for the most part its the same issues a 5th gen for a 4th gen. Especially since they are so similar, especially in the transmission area. 4th and 5th use the same transmission, same crank sensor, etc. So once you can work out how to get the crank signal to be properly read, the rest is all downhill...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Other than the p/n saftey switch harness looking a little different it's the same exact procedure for a 4th gen.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Man I've asked about this swap with a couple of shops and they didn't wanna mess with the wiring for the 6spds... way more complecated than the 5spd swap... to the OP it would be way easier to do a 5spd swapped 3.5... run the same times as the 6spd...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maxxine703
im tryin to do a 6spd swap into a 01 3.0 does anyone have any info or doing this if so can u message it to me or a place were i can find it I have the trans shift box and cables and starter just need to know if the clutch is diffrent and how to do the wiring thanks
are you a manual already? or are you an auto swapping to 6 speed?