5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think my engine is falling out

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 PM

I think my engine is falling out

Hey guys.. I have two problems here. I have a 2000 Maxima SE with about 120k miles on it. A while ago, I noticed the cross member that runs just under the radiator was pretty rotted, and it's really bad now.. the center beam that goes under the engine has dropped about an inch in the front where it's supposed to attach to the cross beam. I found a thread about this on here about a year ago, but I can't seem to find it now.
Anyway.. I went to start it today, and now it sounds like a timing chain is broken?? The engine spins, but no resistance. I bypassed the clutch switch and tried starting it in gear, and the car moves, so it's nothing to do with the starter, correct?
I can't see how these two things could possibly be related, but I thought I'd ask. But why would the timing chain go so early? I noticed some clunking from the front end last time I drove it, maybe the chain was loose and it shook off?

Figures I just made my last payment on the car last week.

Do you think it's worth it to have the chain replaced and the cross member at the same time? If I remember correctly, the cross member is an expensive job, but if the engine has to come out anyway.. maybe it won't be so bad.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Toolie

crossmember at a wrecker should be about 100 bucks
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Willing to learn

Nissan sells new replacement radiator support parts. When you see how much trouble it is to remove, you won't want to take one out of a junker, then weld it into your car, after also removing your old one. Talk about redundancy!

Don't bother fixing the engine though. Good salvage yard engines are not that expensive. Do a search on www.car-part.com.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Pull-a-part is also really good but i think the closest one to you is in ohio..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM

So the car wont start?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by arthur glazier
So the car wont start?
yeah, it cranks, but there's no compression

Thanks for the replies.. Looks like car-part.com is going to be the way to go. hm.. maybe this would be a good time to install a turbocharger
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM

I would definitely say its not the starter but that sucks man right after your last payment for that **** to go on you. Good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 PM

not good
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 AM

it seems really strange for your chain to break, its almost impossible for it to fall off too.

You might want to rent an obd scanner and see if you are throwing any codes. maybe you lost an important connection or two when your engine dropped down

Are you sure your engine is spinning and its not just your starter spinning and not engaging?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Same here!!

Hello everyone...
Just baught a 2000 SE auto with 89K last winter and had noticed that the cross member was quite a bit rusted, didn't pay mind to it really to be honest; only to realize about two weeks ago that my radiator also seemed to get lower... I jacked-up the car last weekend, looked under and found out that the temperature sensor's support craked off with a piece of the beam! (sensor still ok) And one side is no longer connected(passenger). Its so rusted that if I hit it, pieces break off.

Now the real question is... Is it still drivable till I get it fixed or just call it a day and look for an other Max??
Dont know what to do people!! I got attached to her to much already, sucks now that this came up like this.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by afrofranzy
Hello everyone...
Just baught a 2000 SE auto with 89K last winter and had noticed that the cross member was quite a bit rusted, didn't pay mind to it really to be honest; only to realize about two weeks ago that my radiator also seemed to get lower... I jacked-up the car last weekend, looked under and found out that the temperature sensor's support craked off with a piece of the beam! (sensor still ok) And one side is no longer connected(passenger). Its so rusted that if I hit it, pieces break off.

Now the real question is... Is it still drivable till I get it fixed or just call it a day and look for an other Max??
Dont know what to do people!! I got attached to her to much already, sucks now that this came up like this.
You could drive it for a long long time like this. I wouldn't get on it all too much, though.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 AM

like a guy above said. Rent an obd scanner, kind of sounds like when my camshaft position sensor went bad.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Lol I have no clue how to upload pictures from url's (yet)... Anyway just to show how rediculous it looks. But hey, if that means I get to enjoy the max again till I can fix it then be it! Thx for the fast post.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 AM

If both sides of the cross member are no longer attached... what happenes from here? Cause if I'm refering to Pmohr, it seems like it shouldn't be such a big deal. It seems like the mud-guard under it is getting lower and lower everytime I look at the car along with the engine mount. Shouldn't that be concerning? I dont want to doubt Pmohr's jugement either; I just need to know at a 100% why this shouldn't be a concern.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Its bad just get it replaced
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM

sniz
I found a thread about this on here about a year ago, but I can't seem to find it now.
I think I found your thread. You can search for every thread you ever posted in, by going to Advanced Search and entering your handle in the "User Name" box. Then select, "Find Posts by User".

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-bracket.html

There are several threads on this topic in the 4th gen discussions. The design is identical to 5th gen. Here's one thread with some pictures of rusted Lower Radiator Supports (so you don't feel alone), some interesting discussion, and some creative fixes. Unfortunately, it sounds like yours is beyond saving with cheap fixes.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...sting-out.html

Sorry about your timing chain too.

Last edited by Justock; 08-13-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM
No more Maximas...

If both sides of the cross member are no longer attached... what happenes from here? Cause if I'm refering to Pmohr, it seems like it shouldn't be such a big deal. It seems like the mud-guard under it is getting lower and lower everytime I look at the car along with the engine mount. Shouldn't that be concerning? I dont want to doubt Pmohr's jugement either; I just need to know at a 100% why this shouldn't be a concern.
I never said it wasn't a big deal, just that you could drive it like that. I wouldn't even consider it, personally.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 PM

agreed

Originally Posted by pmohr
I never said it wasn't a big deal, just that you could drive it like that. I wouldn't even consider it, personally.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 AM

I found a couple of radiator core supports on ebay... It's just that the prices seem to good to be true. What do you guys think?
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...=&_osacat=6030
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM

The place is a body shop supply warehouse. That means that the parts are not made by the automoble manufacturer, they are aftermarket parts. If your car was in an accident, the body shop might buy from a place like this instead of Nissan because it is cheaper. There have been problems with aftermarket body parts as they are made cheaper, i.e., thinner metal. But a lot of these things are made to oem standards, so you never know.

Its a crap shoot.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM

I found a couple of radiator core supports on ebay... It's just that the prices seem to good to be true. What do you guys think?
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...=&_osacat=6030
I'd buy the cheapest one I could find. If the original part is so great you wouldn't have to be replacing it so soon. Apparently where you guys live they must put down an insane amount of salt. Whatever radiator support you put on is most likely going to be eaten away in a few years anyway.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 AM

That is exacly what I was telling myself... Now days,what is a cheap part when you talk about our radiator support on the max. From the way mine already looks now, I dont think its any better. Here in montreal, its almost as if we have to rince our cars every 2 days, thats how bad it is (especialy when wet on the ground). Even then its a waste of money cause 2 days after, its like you didn't even wash anything.
It should be at my door this friday or monday... We'll see what happens from there. I mean cmon......! only came up to 171 with shipping... I will keep you posted.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

I am looking to replace mine this spring. I went to a body shop and they said it shouldn't be a issue but if I wanted it replaced it would be $970. But I removed my bumper before so in the spring I will take it off and have a look and if possible just fix myself with the help of a friend thats a welder.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Here's a link from the local club site here in Ontario, with pictures of how his was and pictures of the installed replacement total cost was 600.00 Canadian, thought it might shed a little light. The support can be replaced and the car can see many more miles but it is better to do sooner than later.

http://www.torontomaxima.com/forum/v...it=rad+support
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Alright everyone... Got my ebay support installed at my buddies shop. The only issue with the part is that its aftermarket like someone here said, so some holes are not made, you have to make 'em. There is a bit of rechaping and playing around involved. Other than that, fits like a glove, no more rattles, no front end noises anymore, the engine seems smoother cause everyting is straight again!!
It all came up to 705$ including brake job, tie-rod replacement, and power steering fluid. Oh and a carwash.
That not counting the 171$ for the part itself....
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Thread Bump... Looks like i'm in the same situation, mine is rotted in the front but the rear part is still holding up, and the bottom is still solid and the bolts where the center brace is located where the front engine mount bolts to is still good. Would it be easier to do the lower support or get the entire piece for the front?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 AM

pfff...i typed out this great response to a 1 year old thread, ugh. DELETED!!

T Behr904...start a new thread with a PIC of your problem.

Last edited by 00Lightsout; 05-15-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
pfff...i typed out this great response to a 1 year old thread, ugh. DELETED!!

T Behr904...start a new thread with a PIC of your problem.
The last post was only 3 months ago when I bumped the thread. Why start a new one?