4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front brace rusting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front brace rusting out

So I was changing over to snow tires today, and was jacking up the front end with a floor jack like I always do. The manual says to use the nub on the front brace as a jack point. As I raised the car I heard a bad crunch, like rusted parts breaking apart. So I lowered the car and took a look, the brace is rusted and split most of the way through. A more care exam seems to reveal that the front engine mount is secured in the area.
So if you have a 4th gen, I suggest you take a look. I attached two pics to show you what shape my brace is in.
Also, has anyone else had this problem? I think I lost the front engine mount, and based on the looks of it, I can't even get a fabricator to weld the brace back temporarily. Grrr, just did my winter tune up and the car is running great.
Attached Thumbnails Front brace rusting out-1128081148-large-.jpg   Front brace rusting out-1128081148a-large-.jpg  
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM

I had the same problem. (winter )

I had 2 solutions : 1: New rad support at 75 $ and 2-3 days of labor with a welder.

OR

2. If your car's old, a piece of steel from garbages. Eazy. you drill holes and bolt.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2DMax
has anyone else had this problem?
Welcome to the org. Rotted out radiator (& front engine) support problems have been addressed here umpteen times.

One of the most well known weaknesses of old Maximas.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:02 PM

Ah yes, I am finding the posts now! Miserable. I see many others are having the same problem. But I am glad to see that it can be repaired, and much less than what I was initially estimating. Once again the ORG comes through! Off to find a shop that can do the work.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 PM
oem ftw!

Well, you're definitely not alone on this. Have a look at what mine looks like right now.. Get this, my entire support was replaced in Fall of '06. By the end of '07 it was busted. Took it back to the shop in January of this year, and they did a weld-in "fix", which was destroyed again by the fall of this year. The shop used a cheap aftermarket support and just did a terrible job overall. Bolts were missing, front engine mount was not and still is not properly bolted, etc. I'm just going to take it as a loss and replace the entire lower support sometime next month. Working on a temporary fix for now, likely something along the lines of #2 in OverDose's post (btw, thanks. do you have any more pictures of the job by any chance?) Obviously, the ride is awful right now. Clunks, clanks, pops galore. The car just generally feels like it's about to fall apart.

Last edited by CRiME; 11-28-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Most say to coat the new one in rust protection of your choice. I would fork the cash for the part from nissan. I need to do this as well but she is still holding up.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:04 PM

same here

mine is there to but i found the rad support for 25 bucks from a company called re-nu or renew not sure how they spell it...ill do mine when take the engine to get rid of a nasty fast pace oil leak behind the rear timing cover and i figure since its going to be such a big project i should do the 5spd conversion and get all all over with
Old 11-28-2008, 07:51 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by t_ahan
mine is there to but i found the rad support for 25 bucks from a company called re-nu or renew not sure how they spell it...ill do mine when take the engine to get rid of a nasty fast pace oil leak behind the rear timing cover and i figure since its going to be such a big project i should do the 5spd conversion and get all all over with
Be careful with that $25 support. I highly recommend buying the OEM unit. Apart from my bad experience, others have had the cheaper supports break shortly after install too. After a year or so, your support might look like mine . The OEM unit is more expensive, but it would be a shame to have to do all of that work all over again.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM

My 95 was about 50% rusted through by 2007. I did a "Backyard Fix" on it. Here are some pictures...(whoops, I only get 5 pictures per post and I have 7. I'll try two posts.)

************************************************** ****************************************
Edit by Justock 8/13/09:

It looks like my pictures are mysteriously disappearing from this post. You can view them in my photo album... http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?albumid=223

************************************************** ***************************************

Last edited by Justock; 08-13-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Two additional pictures (hope that's OK)

Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Justock
My 95 was about 50% rusted through by 2007. I did a "Backyard Fix" on it. Here are some pictures...(whoops, I only get 5 pictures per post and I have 7. I'll try two posts.)

Justock: Awesome first posts man . We need more new members like you instead of the ones who come on here reviving 8 year old threads & spamming us with useless babble . Thank you for the information & pictures and welcome to the site!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Thank you for the information & pictures and welcome to the site!
Thanks CRiME, I have been helped many times here. I'm glad to give back a little. Before I joined, I learned the rules...

1) Don't ask how to remove headlights from an 02 Max
2) Don't ask, if you can "Search" for it.
3) Don't complain about MPG.

And some day I'm going to learn where the "Stickies" are !
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Nice job Justock.
Just an update, got a quote from the local dealer (Clay Auto Body, Newton) to have the lower tie bar replaced, $760.
Getting it done tomorrow before I something more happens!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Awesome first posts Justock.

1) Spend the extra cash and get an OEM support from a reputable source. I chose worldpartsexpress.com. I also think Dave B can get it?
2) Whatever route you go, make sure you spray some sort of rust preventative on it. Rustoleum, rubber body coating, etc. . . I first tried the rubberized crap, but either got a bad brand or a bad can. I would spray it, let it dry for 3-4 days, and the **** would rub off by hand
3) To the Op. Your car and your business, but I wouldnt pay that much to do something I know I can do. Just a pet peeve of mine. But at least your getting it taken care of!
4)Justock: That is an ingenious way to fix the core support. I love the ingenuity. BUT! I would hate to know my car has a huge gaping hole on one of the most important spots on the car. But, once again your car and your business.
Also would have figured that MAYBE, just maybe Nissan wouldve fixed the problem on the 5th gens. Guess not :-(

Just my .02
I mean no disrespect to anyone!

NM91
Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 PM

SWEET MAN

Great job man...I got my max in Aug past and it was rusted out so bad that the front engine mounts wern't even connected to anything. So thats what i did...1. Placed a 1/2" steel bar in the support. 2. Welded the nuts to the back of the bar. Bolted the bar to the decent parts of the support. And bolted the mounts back into place. Never moved since.
Great minds think alike
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm worried about the condition of my front support.

a 95 with 198k thats spent its life in the North East, its gotta be bad.

Will someone look for me
Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Buy a new part from DaveB and install it.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 PM

BUT! I would hate to know my car has a huge gaping hole on one of the most important spots on the car.
NM91,

I had just bought the car with 132K on it from a Nissan dealer when I was poking around and saw the bubbles under the support's paint. I tried to return the car because I saw it as a safety issue. The service manager assured me that it was not a major structural member, and he had seen a lot worse. Right! It only holds the engine up. Anyway, it would have hurt my pride worse to put $700+ into a 12 year old car that I just drove off the lot, than to drive it with a hidden hole. As long as the rusting is stopped, the engine is supported, and no one can see it, I can live with it. I also found and repaired rust under the a rear mud flap from leaky sunroof and power antenna drains. I used a fiberglass patch and it is completely hidden by the mud flap. Other than that, it's in great shape inside and out and a pleasure to drive. Bassbreaker, I liked your idea. I wish I could weld. Justock
Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by nafddur
Welcome to the org. Rotted out radiator (& front engine) support problems have been addressed here umpteen times.

One of the most well known weaknesses of old Maximas.
you mean of the 4th gen max's, and justock you should've replaced that support for all the rust you have on that one, i did'nt have anywhere NEAR the rust you did and i had a body shop weld in a nice thick peice of 1/4 inch steel and triple weld it, painted it with like 4 coats of heavy duty paint and he said it would outlast the car.

Last edited by max ride 41; 12-03-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM

I tried to return the car because I saw it as a safety issue. The service manager assured me that it was not a major structural member, and he had seen a lot worse. Right! It only holds the engine up.
Have to agree with the service manager here.

I too thought it was worthwhile paying someone earlier this year to replace my radiator support - also on a northeast (i.e. snow/salt exposed) car with over 190K miles. But I had been driving around for many months with the front engine mount completely detached, with zero adverse effects. The engine is still well supported and, if I didn't really still like the car and hope to keep it a while longer, I'm sure I could have put off this repair.

Though the piece isn't a major structural member, it does have to support the radiator. And I do wonder what would happen if it rusted completely through?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 AM

and justock you should've replaced that support
Have to agree with the service manager here.
Wow, I didn't mean to get in the middle of controversy. Other threads complained of some banging and clanging when the front of the support let loose, but no one has really lost an engine that I know of. I suspect there are enough other mounting points to hold it. Also, my support was only rusted in the very center and the back and top had a lot of good metal left. It is still very rigid when I use it as a jacking point, so I feel good about the repair. I'll definitely check on it every oil change.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM

you mean of the 4th gen max's

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM

A lot of people talk about coating the outside of the radiator core support so it does not rust but I have a feeling that most of these rust issues are because water gets inside the core support and cannot escape. I guess if you coat it in the right places so water cannot enter is a good thing.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM

There are a couple of large openings front left and front right and several other holes in the support. I thought of covering them up, or spraying the support full of some of that expanding foam insulation. But I figured the openings were there for a reason. Maybe ventilation. You sure don't want to trap moisture in. On both the '95 and the '02, I used existing bolts in the center area to loosely hold a piece of X-Ray film where it would protect the support from direct road/salt spray. You only see it if you look up under the lower grill...and if you do that you should expect to see ugly.

Since this 02 support rust was just getting started, no repairs were needed. I wire-brushed and sanded the outside. Then used a rust converter, Rustolium primer, and black Rustolium paint. Also sprayed on undercoating in the worst area. Inside the support, I blew it out with compressed air and sprayed in lots of cavity wax. I don't claim to be an expert, I just hate rust !
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I noticed this same problem several years ago and ignored it. Guess I better get under the car and take a look before it gets too bad. I would like to keep this car running for my kids. I should be able fabricate something and weld it in there. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:23 PM

I decided to get it fixed because one of the engine mounts is attached to it. I am not sure if there are three or four mounts, but if one is missing, it's significant.
I had the work done at the dealer, they coated and painted the entire bar for me. All better now!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 PM

My car has been through alot, and I dont have as much rust (or any rust) as you people. I cant believe it, I live in Floida, go off road with my car, and alot more stuff with it, and I dont get anykind of rust. I feel there will be a surprise when I have to get a new bumper, front bumper support thing, and the things under the headlights.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Its winters and the salt. Down south don't rust as bad or as fast. I do snow removal for the winter. I bet my 2 trucks/1 van crew will put down 20k pounds salt easy. I do like the custom fab job from over dose.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Org Lurker

When my support rusted out I tried a temporary fix by sandwiching the brace and rusted support (or what was left of it) between two pieces of plate metal.

As you can see, that didn't work for too long as the entire radiator support started splitting apart.

So I ended up taking it all apart and replacing just the bottom section with a cheap eBay part.

It didn't take more than a few months before the bolts completely ripped out of the new member and I was left back at square one. I had had it with this part and all the work I put into it. I ended up welding an angle to support the brace and some intermediate verticals to keep it centered. So far, this has been working the best. LOL.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Order a radiator core support assembly from Abc Nissan....
Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 PM

rusted support (or what was left of it)
That was one nasty looking support. I would have given up on that one. Nice save!