5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM

so i have been searching and wondering if 4 gen headers would fit on a 2001 maxima se? i know they have the same engine code and i know cattman make a 95-01 header so i was wondering if it possible?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 Max ECM Problem

*Newbie Amateur* here. 12/22/08 car acting wierd (startup/bad smell) . Took to reliable mechanic (I think). Said ECM was burned through. Trying to get used part vs. new one from Stealership (about $500). Located one but never arrived. Having trouble locating another. I have all the information on the part (numbers/letters, etc.) WHERE can I and/or the mechanic get one of these? It is 1/10/09 and I need my car back. I am frustrated and desperate at this point. This is my 2nd Max, and from reading on this website, it may be my last. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgirl2
*Newbie Amateur* here. 12/22/08 car acting wierd (startup/bad smell) . Took to reliable mechanic (I think). Said ECM was burned through. Trying to get used part vs. new one from Stealership (about $500). Located one but never arrived. Having trouble locating another. I have all the information on the part (numbers/letters, etc.) WHERE can I and/or the mechanic get one of these? It is 1/10/09 and I need my car back. I am frustrated and desperate at this point. This is my 2nd Max, and from reading on this website, it may be my last. Any information will be appreciated.
ECM burned through? Do you have pictures? What does it smell like? Rotten eggs? If so, sounds more like a plugged cat.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jchin34
Hi there, been doing searches and following this thread for a bit and haven't found any real answers.. I have a Maxima '01 SE where the Check Engine, ABS, TCS and SLIP lights are constantly on, any ideas on what might causing this? I did see a post in this thread where the brake fluid was topped off and I tried that to no success. Help!
Hi i have same problem(Check Engine, ABS, TCS and SLIP lights ) with my 01 Max 2 days ago i went to dealer for full diacnostics and it says P1320 and P0505 code problem Engine Coils and Idle Control problem but almost a month no one can't fix this problem and i'm not glad to having Maxima it has a lot of problems...now i don't know where to go with this problem...Dealer wats 1400$ to fix it
Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just registered and I have a question on my 02 maxima. I am looking to find out the oem bulbs for the headlights. Does anyone know what they are? I also have this squealing noise from the belt that i cant figure out.

James
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 02sevq35
I just registered and I have a question on my 02 maxima. I am looking to find out the oem bulbs for the headlights. Does anyone know what they are? I also have this squealing noise from the belt that i cant figure out.

James
You need a D2R bulb. $$$$$

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...ssan&md=Maxima

If your belt is squealing, replace it.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Who had P0505 Problem and fixed? pls anybody has idea? thx
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
You need a D2R bulb. $$$$$

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...ssan&md=Maxima

If your belt is squealing, replace it.

What i meant was what brand and model is the oem bulb?

The belt has already been replaced when it got its 85k service.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
i1k
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Hi i have same problem(Check Engine, ABS, TCS and SLIP lights ) with my 01 Max 2 days ago i went to dealer for full diacnostics and it says P1320 and P0505 code problem Engine Coils and Idle Control problem but almost a month no one can't fix this problem and i'm not glad to having Maxima it has a lot of problems...now i don't know where to go with this problem...Dealer wats 1400$ to fix it
to fix the P1320, the thread below is a good source. note: The general consensus is that you should replace all 6 when one goes bad. Some even do the spark plugs as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ow-w-pics.html

P0505 (Idle Control System Malfunction) as the dealer indicated is most likely a bad Idle Air Control Valve/Auxiliary Air Control Vavle (IACV/AACV). Check peripheral connections for probelms such as the vacuum hoses for cracks and make sure the vacuum port its attached to is not clogged. If you replace the iacv/aacv, make sure you perform an "idle air volume learning."

the iacv-aacv sits directly under the throttle body. you may need to get the intake air duct out of the way. the valve looks like a black cap and is held in with three bolts. it also has one electrical harness/connector to it.

if you do the idle air volume learning yourself, make sure all pre-conditioning parameters are met. otherwise have the dealership do it. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-2001-a.html

Doing a P0505 search shows some orgers replacing iacv, ecu, and maf. good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 AM

hello all,

my shocks need replacement

i've read good things about the tokico blues so i'm considering getting them but before i do, i had one question. is this a good choice of struts if i plan on keeping the original springs because the blues are non-adjustable and i can't afford illuminas? thanks a lot
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 AM

I just replaced the crappy ebay projectors on my 2002 maxima with the oem headlights that the previous owner gave me; They are the type with only one bulb I am assuming they are the Halogen type. The High beam only works on one of the headlights, since there is only one bulb is the high beam just burned out. The high beams on the previous headlights worked fine
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by walhalla
hello all,

i've read good things about the tokico blues so i'm considering getting them but before i do, i had one question. is this a good choice of struts if i plan on keeping the original springs because the blues are non-adjustable and i can't afford illuminas? thanks a lot

I have the tokicos on my 02 with the street Tein springs and they are a great choice. im not sure about the oem springs , but the ride quality is fantastic for the ride height.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ksd35
I just replaced the crappy ebay projectors on my 2002 maxima with the oem headlights that the previous owner gave me; They are the type with only one bulb I am assuming they are the Halogen type. The High beam only works on one of the headlights, since there is only one bulb is the high beam just burned out. The high beams on the previous headlights worked fine
If you have a 2002 Maxima the original stock headlights are HID (high intensity discharge) headlights. These are reflector HIDs. The headlights should have four bulbs; one for the high beams, one for the low beams and two smaller lights stacked on top of each other (one for the turn signal and one for the parking light). There should also be an igniter/ballast attached to the bottom of the headlight housing. If you have one main halogen bulb, you have headlights for a 2000 or 2001 Maxima.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by walhalla
hello all,

Check out the suspension thread. There are lots of comments/recommendations.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Teddie18
If you have a 2002 Maxima the original stock headlights are HID (high intensity discharge) headlights. These are reflector HIDs. The headlights should have four bulbs; one for the high beams, one for the low beams and two smaller lights stacked on top of each other (one for the turn signal and one for the parking light). There should also be an igniter/ballast attached to the bottom of the headlight housing. If you have one main halogen bulb, you have headlights for a 2000 or 2001 Maxima.
Thanks, my wiring must really be screwed up then because it was practically plug and play. It's going to be really fun to wire in 2k2/2k3 headlights now.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks, my wiring must really be screwed up then because it was practically plug and play. It's going to be really fun to wire in 2k2/2k3 headlights now.
You probably have a 2000-2001 Max then, and not a 2002-03
Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM

My front rotors are slightly warped and im looking into replacing them. What would be my best choice for new front rotors?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fireonice
My front rotors are slightly warped and im looking into replacing them. What would be my best choice for new front rotors?
IMO, Brembo blanks. Think there might be a deal in the "Group Deal/Buys" forum.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fireonice
Brembo blanks seem to be the most common choice in terms of performance for cost. Tire rack has a set of cryo-treated blanks which are only $5 more per disc that i think i will give a try this spring. I am starting to feel a little shimmy when my brakes get warm
Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

shakey steering wheel

Both boots are torn on my 97 max steering rack. Could this be why my steering wheel shakes above 65mph?Everyone has different solutions to this problem but I need to know where to start replacing parts starting with the cheapest. Wheels are pretty new and I recently swapped the front tires from the rear to the front, so I know its not the tire balancing. I'm also not sure if torn boots could have damaged my rack because my eclipse boots are also torn but no shakey steering. THanx guyz
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2000max_kendall
yes youve been really helpful che_beaver i apreciate it. well yes i just tried reving the engine while in neutral and the sound kicks in just like when im on parking. and the vibration is mostly felt when im on either drive or reverse. its just so confusing... i can barely think of anyting that can cause this problem.
One other thing I thought of is your exhaust system. If you a hangar that got banged up (or a heat shield, I don't know if there is one on the Maximas) the exhaust can rattle when you get to a certain RPM. But that is more often diagnosed as a noise than a vibration.

If someone stands outside the car can they here where the sound is coming from?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by arkmaxi02
When the gas pedal went straight to the floor, there was no acceleration and no resistance. I am also wondering if any of the suggestions all of you have offered could affect my gas mileage. I know that this V6 is not going to get me what my 4-cylinder manual Civic did, but I'm only getting 22 city and 23.5 hwy.

I do appreciate everyone's help!
22 and 23.5 are normal, even with a MAF on the verge of failing. I am presuming you are using premium.

No acceleration on hard acceleration means either poor fuel pressure, high backpressure, or MAF failure. 9 times out of 10 on the Maxima that means a bad MAF. In re-reading your post I would guess that it is your MAF.

Take a look at your MAF and see if there is a green dot on it. Your MAF is after your air filter and will have a plug sticking out the top. If it has a green dot it is the newer MAF and that is not your problem. If there is no dot it still may be the newer MAF, but you can't tell for sure.

If you take it to a dealership they will diagnose this for you and replace it for ~$330 (parts - $150, labor - $180). You can do it on your own, but the dealership has to reprogram your ECU, which they charge $90 to do. So for an extra $90 the whole thing can be taken care of.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by i1k
to fix the P1320, the thread below is a good source. note: The general consensus is that you should replace all 6 when one goes bad. Some even do the spark plugs as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ow-w-pics.html

P0505 (Idle Control System Malfunction) as the dealer indicated is most likely a bad Idle Air Control Valve/Auxiliary Air Control Vavle (IACV/AACV). Check peripheral connections for probelms such as the vacuum hoses for cracks and make sure the vacuum port its attached to is not clogged. If you replace the iacv/aacv, make sure you perform an "idle air volume learning."

the iacv-aacv sits directly under the throttle body. you may need to get the intake air duct out of the way. the valve looks like a black cap and is held in with three bolts. it also has one electrical harness/connector to it.

if you do the idle air volume learning yourself, make sure all pre-conditioning parameters are met. otherwise have the dealership do it. http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-2001-a.html

Doing a P0505 search shows some orgers replacing iacv, ecu, and maf. good luck.

Thanks a lot for very good information "Idle Air Volume Learning 2000-2001
" yesterday i been in mechanic shop whole day and they give up and told me i have to go delaer , all Valve/Auxiliary Air Control Vavle (IACV/AACV) have no any problem they told me my car has electrical problem with car computer delaer asking more then 1000$ to fix it that's a lot! they told me first they gonna try to reprogram old comp (159$) and if it won't reprogram they will put new comp which is 740$+tax and again for reprogram another 159$ that's ridiculous
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
You probably have a 2000-2001 Max then, and not a 2002-03
Well the VIN came up as a 2002 when I bought the car from the dealership and it has the VQ35 with the 6 speed. Also the 00-01 headlights don't fight right. I have to dig deeper into the wiring to see what is really going on with it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know where I can find injector clips for my 03 Maxima? A rat got into the engine bay in my garage and chewed off two injector clips! I need some help. The dealership where I live says that I would need to buy a whole new harness or get one from a salvage yard. Does anyone know a part number? Thanks a lot! -Ricardo
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've narrowed my used car search down to two cars and I need help deciding between them

#1 is a 97 maxima
it has 98k miles
priced at $6,200
new tires
nice rims
drives real nice

#2 is a 2000 maxima se
has 120,000 miles
priced at $6300
i have NOT driven it yet but im going to tomorrow
the interior looks a lot nicer & is all leather

any help is appreciated
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by New2Maxima
I've narrowed my used car search down to two cars and I need help deciding between them

#1 is a 97 maxima
it has 98k miles
priced at $6,200
new tires
nice rims
drives real nice

#2 is a 2000 maxima se
has 120,000 miles
priced at $6300

any help is appreciated
where did u get this prices? probably 2-3 years ago was like that, i got my 2001 Maxima GLE with leather and all options with 89K milege for 5000$ but my friends told me even 5000 is too much for this car, right now prices are very low cuz econnomy problem for 6300 u could get nice 2002-2003 Fully Loaded Maxima! 3-4 years ago my friend he got a 99 Maxima GLE also with black interior and Polk momo surround system on 5 spead Stickshift for 6500$ that time car had 80-90K Milege and plus is it was guarage keep car one owner !
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 AM

where did u get this prices? probably 2-3 years ago was like that, i got my 2001 Maxima GLE with leather and all options with 89K milege for 5000$ but my friends told me even 5000 is too much for this car, right now prices are very low cuz econnomy problem for 6300 u could get nice 2002-2003 Fully Loaded Maxima! 3-4 years ago my friend he got a 99 Maxima GLE also with black interior and Polk momo surround system on 5 spead Stickshift for 6500$ that time car had 80-90K Milege and plus is it was guarage keep car one owner !
Not quite-maybe privately and if the car's kinda beat. Shopping around you can pick up(from dealer) a nice 02/03 for about 7500-9000. The 00/01 can be had much cheaper-around 5k-7k for decent shape. Any cheaper and it will have solid signs of wear and pretty high mileage.

This also depends in which part of the country-here in the NE, where i just purchased an '03 SE TE in very nice shape for about 8k, only the suv's have really come down in price-used import auto market is still very solid.

You gotta weigh out the mileage diff and body style because the price is virtually the same (which would prompt me to lean towards the 5gen). Good luck!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by New2Maxima

#1 is a 97 maxima
it has 98k miles
priced at $6,200
new tires
nice rims
drives real nice

#2 is a 2000 maxima se
has 120,000 miles
priced at $6300

any help is appreciated
Dude...wait a little bit longer...There will always be deals out there for cars. If you got your heart set on a Maxima, then wait until you know you got the one for you. If you have to ask a forum which one to chose then neither is right. We cant kick the tires for you. I hope you find the car for you and good luck!!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Heater Fan not blowing

My a/c will come on but my fan will not blow. Nada. No air. I have checked the fuses. They are good. Any suggestions on what to check & how to find out what the problem is before I take it into shop to get my eye's poked out w/costs...relays...blower...?? Thank you.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Those are pretty average prices for the bay area right now..they might be a little high because those are from dealers, but still pretty average. :/
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM

so after two days of reading and searching i ask.....what are my projector retrofit options. i really would like the most easiest solution and cheapest available. i have the HID kits, which i will hold off on until i have projectors. are there headlights ican get that require little modification?

Juan
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yaya41
My a/c will come on but my fan will not blow. Nada. No air. I have checked the fuses. They are good. Any suggestions on what to check & how to find out what the problem is before I take it into shop to get my eye's poked out w/costs...relays...blower...?? Thank you.
What do you mean by "my a/c will come on but my fan will not blow?" When you have it on vent (no A/C selected) does it blow air? Does it make any difference if it is set to heat (all red) or cold (all blue) or what setting the fan is at (zero to full).

If in all of those cases the blower doesn't work either the fuse is blown or the blower motor is shot. If you've checked the fuse then it would be the blower motor. If it works on full, but no other cases, then it could be the blower resistor.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jdm0830
so after two days of reading and searching i ask.....what are my projector retrofit options. i really would like the most easiest solution and cheapest available. i have the HID kits, which i will hold off on until i have projectors. are there headlights ican get that require little modification?

Juan

I went with ebay projector headlights for my 5th gen I30.Removed the nasty Ebay projector.Fitted E46 ECE projectors back into it. Ebay headlights $130 bucks.E46 projectors off ebay got'em for like $100 but you may find them for cheaper or whatever projector of your liking.There are different projector sizes though.You may want to find one similar in size to the ebay projector that you remove.Hidplanet.com has a posting with some projector sizes.Use search and check here as well.This was my first retro.The hardest part was i had to get over putting headlights inside of an oven.Seemed a lil scary at first.

Last edited by memphisballer; 01-15-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
I went with ebay projector headlights for my 5th gen I30.Removed the nasty Ebay projector.Fitted E46 ECE projectors back into it. Ebay headlights $130 bucks.E46 projectors off ebay got'em for like $100 but you may find them for cheaper or whatever projector of your liking.There are different projector sizes though.You may want to find one similar in size to the ebay projector that you remove.Hidplanet.com has a posting with some projector sizes.Use search and check here as well.This was my first retro.The hardest part was i had to get over putting headlights inside of an oven.Seemed a lil scary at first.
i keep seeing references to hidpanet all over....im heading there

Juan
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

I have the VQ35 with the 6 Speed. I am just wondering at what RPM should the engine idle at?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

I have the VQ35 with the 6 Speed. I am just wondering at what RPM should the engine idle at?
About 700, depending on temp.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where can i get the instructions to change out my gauge cluster in my 00 se
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

that idle control is an easy fix if you know alittle about tools. My car has the same idle problem. i went to autozone and bought a new idle air control for 180 and installed it my self in my drive way it is a little difficult but you can find the walkthough online
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi everyone im new to the site i have a 2000 se thats is a custom sherwood green. i already have a CAI,and a warpspeed y pipe just trying to get some good input on exhausts and headlight upgrades cause i like the hid lites on the newer maxes. and i like some of the exhaust sounds on the 3.5s they sound nice an deep not all riceboy sounding but i havent found a nice sounding exhaust for the 3.0l. thank for your time everybody.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread