5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire Size Work???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 04:44 PM

Tire Size Work???

I have been offered a shot at very new blizzak winter snows for 100.00 for (4) of them. I know this is a great deal but i have 225/50r17 and these others im looking at are 235/45r17 will these fit my 2001 Max?????

Thanks or your help
Old 12-03-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Tire Size Work???

Yes, they will fit. No, they are not in spec. But, if you live in a climate that necessitates Blizzaks, you probably don't push the car too hard in the winter anyway.

If you don't want them, I'll buy them.

Originally posted by MAAXDOUT
I have been offered a shot at very new blizzak winter snows for 100.00 for (4) of them. I know this is a great deal but i have 225/50r17 and these others im looking at are 235/45r17 will these fit my 2001 Max?????

Thanks or your help
Old 12-03-2002, 04:57 PM

Interesting

I tried the search before and didnt find this until i went to the FAQ's

1) Is it OK to mount 235/45R17 tires on OEM 5th Gen Maxima SE rims? The answer is NO! The reason is that the 5th Gen SE rim is only 7" wide. The minimum acceptable rim width for 235/45R17 tires is 7.5". There are no exceptions to this regardless of the tire's make or manufacturer. Once again, check the manufacturer's web site for confirmation.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3
Old 12-03-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: Interesting

OK, everyone FREEZE!!! Step away from your keyboard. Let it go people. Let it go. It's not worth it.

1) Is it OK to mount 235/45R17 tires on OEM 5th Gen Maxima SE rims? The answer is NO! The reason is that the 5th Gen SE rim is only 7" wide. The minimum acceptable rim width for 235/45R17 tires is 7.5". There are no exceptions to this regardless of the tire's make or manufacturer. Once again, check the manufacturer's web site for confirmation.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Just buy them. For $100 you can't lose. You'll be fine.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Interesting

Originally posted by jjames
OK, everyone FREEZE!!! Step away from your keyboard. Let it go people. Let it go. It's not worth it.

jjames is right. If you do a search for 235/45/17 you will find a plethora of threads concerning this issue.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

it'll fit

there is no clear yes or no answer to this question, but in my experience, i install a lot of wheels and tires, the tires should fit on the rims safely, they may bulge out a bit beyond the rim but it takes a lot of bulging to simply make the wheel/tire combination unsafe, and a +2 tire size is not a huge difference approx 20mm.not even an inch. the sidewall integrity may not be as strong but who is putting massive side loads (cornering) on frickin snow tires? put em on the car, if you have a problem you can kick me square in the nuts.hope this helps
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Interesting

You stopped reading the FAQs too soon, MAAXDOUT. Keep going until you've read ALL the tire-related threads in the FAQs. Then make up your mind.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

You stopped reading the FAQs too soon, MAAXDOUT. Keep going until you've read ALL the tire-related threads in the FAQs. Then make up your mind.
listen to mike_m5 he is correct, i mount tires too, im running 2354517 pirelli's on my 2k for over 8 months now no problem.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 PM
ABS

I just installed Dunlop SP 5000's on my OEM 17's. I have to say that the fit is VERY close to stock. Just a slight bulge in the sidewall and a little more tread on the ground. Really, it is hardly noticable at all. Before making my decision, I called Tire Rack and asked them to give me the tread width and section width for the OEM RE92's and also for the various tires I was considering. I discovered that the actual size variations were, in most cases, very small. In fact, the Michelin MXM4 had a wider section width and tread width measurement than a number of the 235/45 tires I asked about . . . interesting!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 PM

That's all very interesting, ABS and maseo77. But it doesn't eliminate the fact that running 235/45R17 tires is out-of-spec on 7.0"-wide rims, period. I have no argument with those who choose to run out-of-spec tires on their rims. I'd simply suggest that they be aware of what they're doing and take the precautions outlined in my last post in the FAQs if they decide to do so.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:15 PM

Well the purchase has been made these were in very condition and 100 for all four what a deal ... I hope they fit lol!! I will let you guys know what happens after the install!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:22 PM

I hope they fit lol!!
I hope they stay fit lol!!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:34 PM

Re: Tire Size Work???

Thanks or your help
Hey MAAXDOUT, this is a very picky subject, I have been bashed out many time because I ride 235-40-17 on 17 x 7" rim (TMW GTV), and it fit perfectly well no bulge at all, the tire fit flat to the wheel. I already put 10 000KM on it so far, and I never had a single problem with my set-up. If you wanna play safe be shure to have a 7.5" rim wide, that's what manufacturer recommend. I just wanted to share a different experience, I am not promoting that you guys do the same.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

page 5 ... the magical page 5 ...

everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, you want to know is on page 5 of the FAQ (thanks y2kse)!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Tire Size Work???

I've had white 18 x 7.5 inch Katana T5 rims wrapped around Falken Ziex 235/40 tires on my 95 maxima. No problem at all, I have my new 2k3 maxima se 6spd w/ just the kombat bodykit alone. I'm plannin to slap on 19 inch Roja_Motegi gun metal rims, they'll cost my a$$ 2800, but its well worth it

-Rey
Old 12-05-2002, 09:59 AM
ABS

That's all very interesting, ABS and maseo77. But it doesn't eliminate the fact that running 235/45R17 tires is out-of-spec on 7.0"-wide rims, period. I have no argument with those who choose to run out-of-spec tires on their rims. I'd simply suggest that they be aware of what they're doing and take the precautions outlined in my last post in the FAQs if they decide to do so.
Y2KSE,

I could not agree with you more. I spent a LOT of time researching and evaluating the options, including reading many posts on the .org, prior to making my decision. Now that I have the new tires on the car, I have to say, I believe I made the right decision for my purposes.

Really, the problem here is not so much with the tire manufacturers or even with us, the customers, but rather with Nissan. Nissan chose to use a very non-standard size tire on the Maxima. Had they only given us 7.5" rims, then none of this would have ever been an issue.

From reading some of your other posts, I can see you have had success contacting Tire Manufacturers regarding which sizes are in/out of spec. Perhaps you would be willing to contact Nissan for us and let them know how they've really screwed every Maxima owner who has 17" rims? Just a thought . . .
Old 12-05-2002, 10:13 AM
jjs

Originally posted by ABS

Perhaps you would be willing to contact Nissan for us and let them know how they've really screwed every Maxima owner who has 17" rims? Just a thought . . .
They would probably care about as much as they do about the paint and other issues.

Old 12-05-2002, 12:41 PM
ABS

Originally posted by jjs

They would probably care about as much as they do about the paint and other issues.

True. Unfortunately, most buyers of Nissan products have no idea about this issues until after they've already made their purchase (I'm a perfect example). Had I known, I might have purchased a WRX, an A4, or a TL instead of the Max. Oh well . . .
Old 12-05-2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by ABS

True. Unfortunately, most buyers of Nissan products have no idea about this issues until after they've already made their purchase (I'm a perfect example). Had I known, I might have purchased a WRX, an A4, or a TL instead of the Max. Oh well . . .
The 225/50R17 tire is actually a good choice from a manufacturer's perspective. It's a relatively wide tire with a large aspect ratio. That allows it to be mounted on a relatively narrow rim. Narrow rims cost less to manufacture than wide rims. That keeps the manufacturer happy. And most consumers don't know the difference anyway.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:56 PM
ABS

The 225/50R17 tire is actually a good choice from a manufacturer's perspective. It's a relatively wide tire with a large aspect ratio. That allows it to be mounted on a relatively narrow rim. Narrow rims cost less to manufacture than wide rims. That keeps the manufacturer happy. And most consumers don't know the difference anyway.
Mostly agreed. But of course, we all know the issue is that, at least up until now, demand for the 225/50/17 size has been limited. In turn, this means that consumers, like us, have very few tire options (regardless of price). To that end, I disagree with your point that consumers don't know the difference anyway. I for one do know the difference. I would bet that many other Maxima owners who are not active on the .org also know the difference. For sure, most consumers don't want to pay $200/tire and most still want a good performing tire from a reputable brand like Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop or Yokohama (I'm sure there are more I could list). Even the least knowledgable consumer is sure to discover that the performance of the RE92 is sub-standard, particularly in the wet and snow.

Although I agree with you that Nissan was probably "trying" to cut costs, I find it hard to believe that it would have cost Nissan much more money to add .5" of metal to each Maxima rim. Not to mention, if they used a wider rim, then they might have been able to use a tire that cost them less than the RE92 . . . Just compare the retail price of the 225/50/17 RE92 to the Dunlop SP5000 in the 235/45/17 size and you'll see what I mean.

In doesn't matter much anyway since we are all stuck dealing with the issues generated by having a 7" versus 7.5" rim.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by ABS

Mostly agreed . . .
You may be right, ABS. But my suspicion is that you are not. I'd suggest to you that most people who buy Maximas couldn't care less about whether they're running on Michelins or Goodyears or Dunlops. While this may be a bit much to stomach, I suspect that the Maxima is purchased by most people as a family sedan. Yes, it has a little more sex appeal than a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, but I doubt that owner demographics differ very much among the three vehicles.

The fact is, 90% of Maxima owners probably don't know or care about the fact that they're running on sh!tty tires. They never push them hard enough to find out. And when it's time to buy new ones, they're just as likely to buy another set of RE92s as any other tire. And I doubt they'd ever consider changing tire sizes.

Let's get real. Org contributors represent a decided minority of Maxima owners. To think that how we feel about our Maximas can be attibuted to the average Maxima owner is a wee bit unrealistic, to put it mildly.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:59 PM
ABS

You may be right, ABS. But my suspicion is that you are not. I'd suggest to you that most people who buy Maximas couldn't care less about whether they're running on Michelins or Goodyears or Dunlops. While this may be a bit much to stomach, I suspect that the Maxima is purchased by most people as a family sedan. Yes, it has a little more sex appeal than a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, but I doubt that owner demographics differ very much among the three vehicles.

The fact is, 90% of Maxima owners probably don't know or care about the fact that they're running on sh!tty tires. They never push them hard enough to find out. And when it's time to buy new ones, they're just as likely to buy another set of RE92s as any other tire. And I doubt they'd ever consider changing tire sizes.

Let's get real. Org contributors represent a decided minority of Maxima owners. To think that how we feel about our Maximas can be attibuted to the average Maxima owner is a wee bit unrealistic, to put it mildly.
Yes, the demographic for Accords, Camry's and Maxima's is similar. However, in many cases, people have been trained by the tire manufacturers advertising that the tires they run on are important. Y2KSE, I don't want to be rude, but I think even the worst drivers (even the idiots) would realize how crappy the RE92's are particularly in wet driving and in snow and they would want something better. That's just my 2 cents.

Yes, the .org does represent a minority. Even the average Joe Maxima owner would rather pay $100 per tire versus $190 or $200 per tire.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by ABS

Y2KSE, I don't want to be rude, but I think even the worst drivers (even the idiots) would realize how crappy the RE92's are particularly in wet driving and in snow and they would want something better.
Then you might find the results of this poll surprising:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=171043
Old 12-07-2002, 02:01 AM
It's chrome alright...

where are you guys getting $200? What people here do isn't real world. 99% of people are going to go to their local tire place and say "I need new tires" and the tire monkey is going to say "what size?" and the clueless person will give that "deer-in-the-headlights" look. The tire monkey will go outside or read a computer/book to see 225/50r17 and give the clueless person 5 options, ranging from "you should replace it with a comparable ... blah blah blah... $200" to "these $114 ones will work, too." And Mr. Clueless will buy the $114 tires and they'll work fine.

Or, if the place doesn't have the $114 tires, tire monkey will say "or you could use 235/45r17" and start talking about the 8 more options doing that will get him, and Mr. Clueless will say (he'll actually make the noise) "huh?" then say "how much?"

Either way, there are plenty of $114 tires that will "fit".

Originally posted by ABS

Yes, the .org does represent a minority. Even the average Joe Maxima owner would rather pay $100 per tire versus $190 or $200 per tire.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
where are you guys getting $200? What people here do isn't real world. 99% of people are going to go to their local tire place and say "I need new tires" and the tire monkey is going to say "what size?" and the clueless person will give that "deer-in-the-headlights" look. The tire monkey will go outside or read a computer/book to see 225/50r17 and give the clueless person 5 options, ranging from "you should replace it with a comparable ... blah blah blah... $200" to "these $114 ones will work, too." And Mr. Clueless will buy the $114 tires and they'll work fine.

Or, if the place doesn't have the $114 tires, tire monkey will say "or you could use 235/45r17" and start talking about the 8 more options doing that will get him, and Mr. Clueless will say (he'll actually make the noise) "huh?" then say "how much?"

Either way, there are plenty of $114 tires that will "fit".

Thanks, 2k2wannabe. I'd say that just about sums it up, all right.