4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No Start - But I have power

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM

No Start - But I have power

I have power - all lights on dash, but when I turn the key to crank it, all the lights go off. Nothing happens. No single click-like sound of the starter trying to start, but failing.

Could this be a grounding issue? I noticed the other day after driving for about 30 minutes and stopping somewhere, my car failed to start again. It tried to, but I left it in gear. So I put it in neutral and turned the key again and all power went out after turning the key to crank it. Its a 5 speed and I was on a hill so I just let it roll down and popped the clutch to get it to start. When I got home, it failed to start and has not started since.

My positive terminal is corroded and could use replacing, but both positive and negative are tight on the battery posts. Alternator replaced about 6 months ago. Starter replaced a year ago maybe. Battery is a couple years old. Maybe low cranking amps in the batt? What Im curious about is the total power loss while the key is in the crank position..?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Can you clean your battery cables at the point where they connect to the battery and the other ends for the ground and positive cable to the starter?

Have you tried to start it with a jumper cable?

Do you have access to a charger for recharging the battery after you have cleaned the cables?

Where are you located? Most Advance Auto stores will run a charging system health check for free if you have one in your area.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 PM

You may have an ignition switch issue. It sounds like the slop problem (see here: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...tion-slop.html), except that when I had the problem I'm pretty sure the dash lights didn't go out. Yours might be a bad ignition switch or just a different manifestation of the problem.

Start by trying the turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver. If that works, you probably have slop. If that doesn't work, you can try jumping the contact points on the switch. If that works, the switch is probably bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM

Had to take my wife's car today. Im sure it will start by jumping it, but ill verify tonight. I dont have a charger but can take the battery to a parts store to get checked.

And yeah, ill work on cleaning the cable contact points tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill look at the ignition switch if these tests dont pan out to solve anything.

Matt
Old 07-26-2014, 01:01 PM

I sanded down the positive battery terminal where the corrosion was and sanded down the grounding point under the battery tray. And then she started. So maybe it was the corrosion or maybe the grounding point. Not sure, we will see if it gives any more problems in the near future.