4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 AM

"That's not how differential signalling works."

The negative signal goes into the inverting input of a combiner. adding is an easier feet in circuitry then subtraction (cheaper). at least so I was told by my boss (EE). that and if you negate a negative and add, it's the same thing as subtraction.

Keep the Bose for now, buy the adapter, upgrade later. saves you the upfront cost, and only costs 40 bucks more.

Win Win situation.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by rcintorino
"That's not how differential signalling works."

The negative signal goes into the inverting input of a combiner. adding is an easier feet in circuitry then subtraction (cheaper). at least so I was told by my boss (EE). that and if you negate a negative and add, it's the same thing as subtraction.

Keep the Bose for now, buy the adapter, upgrade later. saves you the upfront cost, and only costs 40 bucks more.

Win Win situation.
The "combiner" you speak of is called an operational amplifier, or op-amp for short. The other name for this part is a differential amplifier, which amplifies the difference between two signals at its inputs. It has an inverting input and a non-inverting input. As long as the inverting input is at a smaller potential than the non-inverting input, the gain factor (usually expressed as 1x, 2x, 10x, etc., and determined by external resistors) is applied to the positive difference. If the inverting input is at a great potential than the non-inverting input, then a negative difference is amplified.

Technically we're both right, just looking at different levels of abstraction. I'm usually only concerned with the op-amp as a "black box" because I see it as a building block in an electronic solution. You're talking about what actually happens inside the part.

I also agree with your recommendation. I would not pay money for another old Bose headunit.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Ok. The factory Bose sounds good for the generation it what designed in. But by today's audiophile standards there is so much more available. Factory Bose for most cars are still paper coned drivers, temperature extremities along with moisture don't mix well with paper. Aftermarket materials such as kevlar and rubber are far better. I've heard Bose in Corvettes (didn't sound so great), Escalades (not so much) and that's only a couple. And these are expensive vehicles! The Nissan Murano is the only factory Bose system to "wow" me. Try one you'll see. Factory is good "for now" but Type R components always manage to find their way into doors across America.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Just throw a Z33 or Pathfinder 6-disc unit in there and call it a day, unless you're looking for better sound. Personally I love my stock Bose setup with a 350z 6-disc

Then again I'm not a big audio guy. If it plays CD-Rs, I'm good with it.
is a 350z unit perfect fit or do you have to do a lil mod & adjusting
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM

I just "upgraded" to the BOSE stereo yesterday. And i must say i love it! I had to run almost all the wires for the amps, and that was not fun. But the results were well worth it in my opinion
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by spreprts
Ok. The factory Bose sounds good for the generation it what designed in. But by today's audiophile standards there is so much more available. Factory Bose for most cars are still paper coned drivers, temperature extremities along with moisture don't mix well with paper. Aftermarket materials such as kevlar and rubber are far better. I've heard Bose in Corvettes (didn't sound so great), Escalades (not so much) and that's only a couple. And these are expensive vehicles! The Nissan Murano is the only factory Bose system to "wow" me. Try one you'll see. Factory is good "for now" but Type R components always manage to find their way into doors across America.
Excellent post.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm running rewired Bose systems in both my Nissans and have been for years. Both my Z32 and my A32 still have the stock Bose speakers for mids and highs. I rewired the Z32 in 98 using a 1ohm stable ADS amp to drive the factory speakers. I rewired the Maxima in 02 with a older 2ohm stable Hifonics 4 channel amp driving the stock Bose speakers. You really don't need much in the way of power to drive the stock Bose speakers, The Z has a 25wX4 and the Maxima has a 50wX4. The amp in the Maxima is turned way down to avoid over driving the and damaging the speakers. The big plus in my rewire system is the factory harness is not hacked up, restoring the Bose system would be plug and play. The other plus is upgrades are easy everything is already wired for upgraded speakers if I wanted to replace them of if I had a Bose failure. I have had no issues with my amps running the 1ohm bose speakers, not even a blown fuse.

BTW both systems have aftermarket headunits and subs.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not sure how Bose is with car audio, but they are really bad in the home theater segment. Audiophile generally tell you to stay away from Bose as they are expensive and not worth it compare to other brands.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if u want a good setup here it is

head unit pioneer FH-P8000BT dual din
re-wire the bose system to go out to rca's
hook up the rca's to the output for the mids and high's
then hook up a sub i have a mtx amp with mtx 12

and everyone that comes in my car says u have the clearest system i have heard.

my cousing is a stereo installer and he didnt believe me.....

do not get those stupid things to adjust the voltage or what ever it adjust.

wire it directly to the head unit and use the bose amps..

if u have any questions pm me
Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 AM

i personally think bose sounds way better my last max had bose i wish my new one did.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM

This is all a bunch of opinions, we know aftermarket can be better, if you spend the money. but if you DON"T spend the money, or don't want to spend it all up front, the bose speakers will sound nice, until you upgrade them.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:57 AM

ive never liked any stock stereo, but it all depends on how much you are spending, what does a bose go for?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 AM

i have to change my bose hu in my 5th gen and if ur trying to save some cash get this http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-7551 its $25 bucks all u do is plug it into ur preamp outs of ur new hu and wire the rest its cake wich will allow u to use a aftermarket hu with all the bose speakers and amps ive heard from many how amazing the sound is afterwords much better than the bose hu. this thread should help everything The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread i just went threw the same thing