4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock Sensor Code not clearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Blown

Knock Sensor Code not clearing?

Has any one ever had the problem of not being able to clear a code? My 1995 GXE is throwing a knock sensor code, so I bought a new sensor and replaced it. Before I replaced the sensor I tried clearing the code with my actron scanner and it would not clear. I would press erase on my scanner and the results would come back saying that there was still one code remaining and it was the knock sensor code. So I got a new sensor. I put the new sensor in over the weekend, and drove the car a little bit. I am still getting the same thing. It will not clear with my scanner. Its not like I am clearing the code and it keeps coming back, but rather it will never clear. Has any one had this problem before? What was it?

the car is a 95 GXE with an 00VI, and JWT ecu.

....now that I think about it, my brother did splice into the knock sensor wire when he put my VAFCII in...I need to check that.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Fire in the hole!

You have to reset the ECU, not clear the codes with a scan tool.

This has been covered in the stickies.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
sky jumper

that's not true. the actron scanner will erase the code and reset the CEL. and the code will not come back if all is well. resetting the ECU is a different matter.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Blown

I'll try reseting it with the screw on the ecu, but I really did not think there was a difference.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Blown

I checked the connection for the VAFCII, and every thing looked fine. So I reset the codes with the ecu screw. Still the same thing. The knock sensor code will not clear. What gives?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cardana24
Has any one ever had the problem of not being able to clear a code?
Welcome to the club........... see thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=515963
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
sky jumper

I checked the connection for the VAFCII, and every thing looked fine. So I reset the codes with the ecu screw. Still the same thing. The knock sensor code will not clear. What gives?
disconnect that controller from the KS circuitry (as I seem to recall, it should not use the KS on a 4th gen). if any wires have been spliced be sure they are clean. if that doesn't fix it, then your KS is still bad (possible) or you have a bad connection (also possible).

Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Welcome to the club........... see thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=515963
Do you have an Air fuel computer hooked to your system? Is the KS wire tapped? Let me know, I am going to check my wiring and I may do away with that connection for my VAFCII if I don't need it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
sky jumper

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=446558

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Do you have an Air fuel computer hooked to your system? Is the KS wire tapped? Let me know, I am going to check my wiring and I may do away with that connection for my VAFCII if I don't need it.
No A/F computer, and the KS wire is not tapped. So, your VAFCII wire tap may not be teh issue. You could be experiencing what I'm experiencing. I never got a definitive answer in my thread. :bummed:
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM

may have overtorqued it and cracked the new one.

and wizard, you have tride to "erase" the code without installing a new knock sensor. and you wonder why it wont go away? (that is the gist I got from your other thread anyhow).
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax

and wizard, you have tride to "erase" the code without installing a new knock sensor. and you wonder why it wont go away? (that is the gist I got from your other thread anyhow).
Yes, I've tried to erase the code many, many times. And FWIW, my car doesn't feel sluggish at all anymore (fixed my issue relating to its "loss of power" issue that I described in my thread), so I don't think my knock sensor is hurting my performance.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by sky jumper
looks like I need to cut the purple wire I have hooked to my knock sensor wire...I was just going off the pring out for hooking up the SAFCII. It looks like the purple wire on the VAFCII is something for the Vtec selenoid. Thanks for the link
Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 AM

knock sensors dont care if you feel they are bad or not. you are getting the KS code for a reason. and you cant erase the code for a reason. THE KNOCK SENSOR IS BAD.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
knock sensors dont care if you feel they are bad or not. you are getting the KS code for a reason. and you cant erase the code for a reason. THE KNOCK SENSOR IS BAD.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I have three bad knock sensor then. I'll just go buy another one. Good idea.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM

I would try replacing the wire....its most likely the problem
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 PM

I've got the same problem... Just so you guys understand what he is saying...I'll do a write-up titled...
Cardana24's Problem for Dummys...
He hooks the actron scanner up to his car...he pushes the erase button with the engine OFF...then he waits for the scanner to do its job... then it says DONE or the more expensive Actron it says (FAILED...2 codes remain)...THE WHOLE TIME HIS ENGINE IS OFF...So he rechecks his codes and OH NO!!! THEY ARE STILL THERE!!!! Damn... That means it can't be the knock sensor... So he asks himself "WTF????"...."Maybe Maxima.org knows...???"

He he he.... sorry guys just gotta slow the bus down for some of the slow ones.... The code won't erase...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by Dan_E_Boi84
I've got the same problem... Just so you guys understand what he is saying...I'll do a write-up titled...
Cardana24's Problem for Dummys...
He hooks the actron scanner up to his car...he pushes the erase button with the engine OFF...then he waits for the scanner to do its job... then it says DONE or the more expensive Actron it says (FAILED...2 codes remain)...THE WHOLE TIME HIS ENGINE IS OFF...So he rechecks his codes and OH NO!!! THEY ARE STILL THERE!!!! Damn... That means it can't be the knock sensor... So he asks himself "WTF????"...."Maybe Maxima.org knows...???"

He he he.... sorry guys just gotta slow the bus down for some of the slow ones.... The code won't erase...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!
Thanks for trying to clear that up. I am not saying that after I replaced my knock sensor the code is coming back. My problem is that I cannot clear the code...I cannot erase it. When I press erase on my scanner the scanner comes back saying earase is done..."one code remains"(its the knock sensor code). I am going to check something with my VAFCII wiring tonight...it seems like I have something hooked up wrong so I hope that is causing the problem. I will report back when I fix the wiring.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM

My reply wasnt to you. but you are welcome anyways.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Blown

alright, the problem was my VAFCII, I had a wire hooked up wrong. I cut that wire and now i was able to clear the code. hopefully it stays away. thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the same problem "can not erase the KS code even with a scanner". The check engine light went on for 02 sensor and KS, I first replace the 02 sensor and then try to ereae the code. O2 code is cleared but the KS code just doesn't get clear. I have tried it many many time but it still does not clear the code. Do I need to replace the KS before I can clear the code???? I always think that the code can be clear with the scanner even wihout fixing it (I also understnad the code will come back again in the future). Anyone can help me with this????
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by tailbit
I am having the same problem "can not erase the KS code even with a scanner". The check engine light went on for 02 sensor and KS, I first replace the 02 sensor and then try to ereae the code. O2 code is cleared but the KS code just doesn't get clear. I have tried it many many time but it still does not clear the code. Do I need to replace the KS before I can clear the code???? I always think that the code can be clear with the scanner even wihout fixing it (I also understnad the code will come back again in the future). Anyone can help me with this????
3 years old huh? I guess it beats starting a new thread. If the code comes back It simply means that the Knock Sensor is dead. I had the same o2 and Knock sensor codes. The o2 would clear and come back but the knock never cleared. Replaced o2 and Knock still didn't clear. Replaced Knock and code cleared as I expected it to do.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like a solution, I will give it a try to replace the KS. Any tricks on how to replace the KS, I have seen a lot of people try to replace the KS with a lot of pain .......
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Sounds like a solution, I will give it a try to replace the KS. Any tricks on how to replace the KS, I have seen a lot of people try to replace the KS with a lot of pain .......
No one who doesn't have a cali spec engine has the right to complain. LOL
I've seen walk throughs around here that even have pictures. I thought it was simple until I saw that it was nearly impossible to do on my car but I got it done with a swivle joint and a hanger to use as hands.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Video - Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ntaxi7bXk

Video - Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPIMOIwLISc

Step-By-Step How-to:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-tutorial.html

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM

What you need to do is disconnect the harness and then clear the code with the computer. After it is cleared, connect it back and start the car and scan for codes again. If it reappears, you would need to check the knock sensor for proper installation.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You guys are great, thanks for all the input. I will order the part (KS) from ebay and install it then I will report back the result. Any more commnet are very welcome!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

exactly how do you clear codes? with key on or off? turn screw back or forth or what. please tell me!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by rhonda sikes
exactly how do you clear codes? with key on or off? turn screw back or forth or what. please tell me!
A OBDII scanner could do the trick.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by balkan
"Some people say that it looks like a button hook. I don't know what the hell a button hook is because I'm not 80."

I laughed out loud at that one.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Word