4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Usually happens at higher speeds like 75-80 on the highway..the steering wheel shakes pretty bad when Im on the brakes and Alittle bit when Im off them..I just got my front end alligned and its still there and I did the brakes about a year and 3 months ago. I called the guy that did the allignment and he said its probably brake related but I thaught that you feel that in your foot if it was brake related ?? please help..If its brake related Im going to get new roters and all new pads

-Matt
Old 02-05-2003, 04:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Originally posted by matty
Usually happens at higher speeds like 75-80 on the highway..the steering wheel shakes pretty bad when Im on the brakes and Alittle bit when Im off them..I just got my front end alligned and its still there and I did the brakes about a year and 3 months ago. I called the guy that did the allignment and he said its probably brake related but I thaught that you feel that in your foot if it was brake related ?? please help..If its brake related Im going to get new roters and all new pads

-Matt
when was the last time you took a look at your tires? Make sure they are properly inflated... and also rotated and balanced
Old 02-05-2003, 04:55 PM

If its the whole car that shakes then ur rotors are prolly warped. I had this problem, but mine were really warped. You can go to pepboys and get them resurfaced for like $50 or something, or just get new rotors.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Also, if your lug nuts are on too tightly that could be causing the shaking when you put on brakes...my stock wheels were on really, really tight and when i put my rims on 2 weeks ago, we didn't tighten the lug nuts as tight as they were on my stock rims. now my steering wheel doesnt shake. hope it helps!!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Girliegirlmax96
Also, if your lug nuts are on too tightly that could be causing the shaking when you put on brakes...my stock wheels were on really, really tight and when i put my rims on 2 weeks ago, we didn't tighten the lug nuts as tight as they were on my stock rims. now my steering wheel doesnt shake. hope it helps!!
i have the same problem, but remember if you put the brake at that speed, you should do it by steps..not keep the brake pedal for long time(5-10 seconds)

the rotors warm too much
Old 02-05-2003, 10:53 PM

Re: Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Originally posted by matty

-Matt
Does the steering wheel shake when you were cruising or does it only shake when you were braking?If it's only shaking when you cruised at certain speed like 75-85 then your tires are prolly out of balance.If it's only shaking when you apply your brake then your rotor prolly warped.Hope this will help.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
Does the steering wheel shake when you were cruising or does it only shake when you were braking?If it's only shaking when you cruised at certain speed like 75-85 then your tires are prolly out of balance.If it's only shaking when you apply your brake then your rotor prolly warped.Hope this will help.
Do a search on this steering shake problem here: Slight shaking at 75-80 it is a common problem with 4th gen Maximas with some milelage on them. But the reason is as-yet unknown. A bad shake at a certain RPM is likely tires or tire balance, but it can also be caused by brakes or rotors, CV joint, suspension parts, or even wheel bearings.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by BBaker025
If its the whole car that shakes then ur rotors are prolly warped. I had this problem, but mine were really warped. You can go to pepboys and get them resurfaced for like $50 or something, or just get new rotors.
If your rotors are warped they can't be properly resurfaced. You're always better off replacing them, which gives you a good excuse to get some nice slotted or cross-drilled rotors.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Originally posted by Bgohan

Do a search on this steering shake problem here: Slight shaking at 75-80 it is a common problem with 4th gen Maximas with some milelage on them. But the reason is as-yet unknown. A bad shake at a certain RPM is likely tires or tire balance, but it can also be caused by brakes or rotors, CV joint, suspension parts, or even wheel bearings.
If it's CV joint, suspension parts, or even wheel bearings,then it's more likely happen at all speed.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:14 AM

What about the carrier bearings??

I've noticed this wobble too, but It's always remained after mods that have replaced everything else discussed so far. I have another common 4th gen. problem, the leaking differential seal caused by excessive carrier bearing play. If you grad the inboard cv joint and try to move it you can feel 2-3mm of play. I think this could easily cause the slight wobble at speed. I feel the wobble at all speeds, and this is the last thing besides the wheel bearings that I can think of.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:26 PM

Re: What about the carrier bearings??

I was thinking this too..I have the leak as well and Ill be doing my bearings in the early summer...

-matt

Sounds right though huh ?
Old 03-10-2003, 12:56 PM

this is a common problem in 4th generation maxima's. It's a pain in the *** and Nissan has no idea how to fix it, that's why next time I'll be purchasing a better built vehicle!
Old 03-10-2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by camaro1698
this is a common problem in 4th generation maxima's. It's a pain in the *** and Nissan has no idea how to fix it, that's why next time I'll be purchasing a better built vehicle!
They do know, even if they claim not to at the dealership. I was ripped of by my Infiniti dealership a number of times. The bearing preload is often too high, resulting in premature wear. Check out www.motorvate.ca for a good description.

As far as build quality goes... I've had 8 cars in the last 8 years. My I30t, basically a 4th gen Max, is by far the most durable of them all. It has over 140K, and I drive the $*#@ out of it every time I drive. It's only problem has been the carrier bearing.

My list of cars goes as follows:
1) 91 Camaro convertible w/5.0L V8 (GM junk, problems...)
2) 92 25th Anniversary Camaro w/5.7L (More GM junk)
3) 93 Honda Accord Coupe (Good car, but I got bored)
4) 94 Honda Accord Coupe (Better car, alternator kept going out...)
5) 95 Honda Prelude VTEC (Water pump went bad, $1200)
6) 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Fast, but the transmission gave up)
7) 96 Toyota Tacoma TRD (Got it stuck in a river... bye, bye)
8) 97 Infiniti I30t (Got it new in early 98 and haved loved it since)
Old 03-10-2003, 01:40 PM

How do you fix bearing preload, is it just an adjustment or does the bearing have to come off. I checked motorvate.ca and they didn't say anything about a wheel shimmy caused by bearing preload. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 02:37 PM

It's the tires, happens all the time. Get them rebalanced/rotated, or if they are old get new ones
Old 03-10-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by camaro1698
How do you fix bearing preload, is it just an adjustment or does the bearing have to come off. I checked motorvate.ca and they didn't say anything about a wheel shimmy caused by bearing preload. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
The only way to fix the problem is take the old worn out bearings out, buy new bearings(cheapest part of the job exept for LSD trannies..the bearings are 170$ for the set) Re-shim the new bearings, and put back together..

It would be pointless to go in and re-shim the original bearings because by the time you notice and problems, the bearings have 60-70K on them and are already going.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering wheel shake...Highway ? brakes

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
If it's CV joint, suspension parts, or even wheel bearings,then it's more likely happen at all speed.
My inboard CV joint driver's side was shredded pretty bad, and only shook above 50mph.

But then again, it was mostly under accelleration - not his problem I see.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Girliegirlmax96
This would imply that warped rotors are causing shimmy/shake.

I'm going to go hand tighten mine and see if that helps.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:29 AM

I have 47,000 miles on my 98 Max. I have always had my steering wheel shake at around 70 - 75 mph (bought it with 36,000 miles). I do have warped rotors, but they only shake when the brakes are applied, even when brand new I had a shake at 75mph.

I had my tires balanced and it did nothing, I recently got a new set of wheels/tires, balanced, and still have the shake.

Does that sound like the carrier bearing? I really have no clue about this but it drives me crazy, its not horrible, just very annoying.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by MdMaxDrvr
I have 47,000 miles on my 98 Max. I have always had my steering wheel shake at around 70 - 75 mph (bought it with 36,000 miles). I do have warped rotors, but they only shake when the brakes are applied, even when brand new I had a shake at 75mph.

I had my tires balanced and it did nothing, I recently got a new set of wheels/tires, balanced, and still have the shake.

Does that sound like the carrier bearing? I really have no clue about this but it drives me crazy, its not horrible, just very annoying.

Anyone?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:03 AM

You have a 5spd ??
Any leaks from the Drivers side CV joint where it meets the tranny ??

-matt
Old 03-19-2003, 11:12 AM

u see if ur strut might be loose?
i had same problem and got new struts but the place didnt tighten them good enough so my car shaked real bad between60-80
but u said u balanced...
but see if struts are loose...
kinda out there.. but why not?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:26 PM

I'm an auto. The last time my car was in the shop they told me that my boots were cracked so I don't know. How would I tell if my strut is loose?

Originally posted by danimsta
u see if ur strut might be loose?
i had same problem and got new struts but the place didnt tighten them good enough so my car shaked real bad between60-80
but u said u balanced...
but see if struts are loose...
kinda out there.. but why not?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:27 PM

no idea
guy who changed my tires and took them off said when he took off tire,
the strut was "looose" so i dunno...
someone else might though

and i have an auto also
Old 03-19-2003, 10:24 PM

It's fairly easy to tell if your strut is loose. You should be able to avoid jacking the car up if you simply open the hood so that you can see the strut tower, and shake the car from side to side by pushing on the fender. If its loose it will move very slightly with this side to side motion.

If you want to be really sure, jack it up and give the suspected strut a good tug...

If its really loose it'll make noise over bumps and potholes.