3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

anyone looking for a SE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anyone looking for a SE?

Hey guys, I havent been here in a while but its good to still see some familiar names.

I'm pretty much ready to part with my Maxima. It hasnt been very reliable lately and has been requiring a lot of wrench time and misc parts. I kept it around as a backup for when the E55 had downtime, and for commuting to work. Now I'm married and theres just no need or space for a third car.

I don't want to sell it to some random person who can barely afford a 20-yo car and doesnt know how to work on it. I wouldn't feel well if some wear & tear part failed, then they ended up giving just as much money to a shop as they used to buy the car.

So now I'm trying to decide if I want to remove some of the mods and sell it to a junk yard for whatever they offer, or possibly sell as-is to an enthusiast who would be able to take care of it and value it as a 3'rd gen.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Part it out - what strut/springs are you running? If you've got Toks or Konis I call dibs
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Part it out - what strut/springs are you running? If you've got Toks or Konis I call dibs
I've been out of the maxima lingo so long that I had to look up invoice emails in Outlook! I've got Tokico struts with Eibach springs, suspension-tech sway bars front & rear, poly-everything on the suspension.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 PM

James, maybe you should buy the car? I'll drive it up to Dallas and catch a SW flight back
Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 PM

lol Tokico struts are worth more than gold now
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
lol Tokico struts are worth more than gold now
what in the world did I miss?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
what in the world did I miss?
Tokico and Koni are discontinued on 3rd gens, i checked all of North America (and i mean literally 95% of suppliers) in 2010 and nobody could get them.

i think the closest thing to a decent strut you can get for 3rd gens now is KYB GR2, Koni's and Tokico's can only be found used now and even thats getting to be impossible
Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 PM

James, maybe you should buy the car? I'll drive it up to Dallas and catch a SW flight back
Lol I probably shouldn't, I've got two already. I've spent the past year semi-restoring my black one, and still need to buy tires and then get it painted (and I'm not talking a Maaco type job either). Then after that later this year I'll get back to the blue one and get the turbo installed/running finally.

I really would be interested in your springs/struts and possibly more (wheels maybe? I've always liked them) though. Do you know many miles you've got on them?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Lol I probably shouldn't, I've got two already. I've spent the past year semi-restoring my black one, and still need to buy tires and then get it painted (and I'm not talking a Maaco type job either). Then after that later this year I'll get back to the blue one and get the turbo installed/running finally.

I really would be interested in your springs/struts and possibly more (wheels maybe? I've always liked them) though. Do you know many miles you've got on them?
I dont have the wheels from the sig pic anymore, or the front BBK. Rear BBK remains.

I have OEM springs still, but dont have old struts to put back in their place. Quite a bit of work too, esp. on the rears.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM

pm sent
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Tokico and Koni are discontinued on 3rd gens, i checked all of North America (and i mean literally 95% of suppliers) in 2010 and nobody could get them.

i think the closest thing to a decent strut you can get for 3rd gens now is KYB GR2, Koni's and Tokico's can only be found used now and even thats getting to be impossible
my tokicos came on my 1st 3rd gen,11years ago and they were used before that for ? amount of years

CAN THEY BE REBUILT?i did buy a single tokico new rear shock 7 years ago when swapping my suspension to my 91se
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximagician

CAN THEY BE REBUILT?i did buy a single tokico new rear shock 7 years ago when swapping my suspension to my 91se
im pretty sure they can unless im thinking of Koni's. i think you can rebuild oil filled struts but not gas filled
Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM

The better question is WILL Tokico rebuild them?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM

I dont have the wheels from the sig pic anymore, or the front BBK. Rear BBK remains.

I have OEM springs still, but dont have old struts to put back in their place. Quite a bit of work too, esp. on the rears.
Thats right I have the wheels and front BBK. I tried getting with you about the sunroof glass. I still have it in my closet but I guess you won't be needing it now.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM

The better question is WILL Tokico rebuild them?
probably would, the only way i could see them not is if you have a slammed car and want the struts rebuilt under warranty, ive heard of people doing that and they can tell the car is lowered and they just lol and ship the blown struts back to you

Lux did you buy the OP's car? i spy a 1993 SE in your sig lol
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM

probably would, the only way i could see them not is if you have a slammed car and want the struts rebuilt under warranty, ive heard of people doing that and they can tell the car is lowered and they just lol and ship the blown struts back to you

Cars slammed you say. I'd like to see them tell me mine is slammed.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Hey guys, I havent been here in a while but its good to still see some familiar names.

I'm pretty much ready to part with my Maxima. It hasnt been very reliable lately and has been requiring a lot of wrench time and misc parts. I kept it around as a backup for when the E55 had downtime, and for commuting to work. Now I'm married and theres just no need or space for a third car.

I don't want to sell it to some random person who can barely afford a 20-yo car and doesnt know how to work on it. I wouldn't feel well if some wear & tear part failed, then they ended up giving just as much money to a shop as they used to buy the car.

So now I'm trying to decide if I want to remove some of the mods and sell it to a junk yard for whatever they offer, or possibly sell as-is to an enthusiast who would be able to take care of it and value it as a 3'rd gen.
How much were you asking for it, as is? Got more recent pictures of it?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Cars slammed you say. I'd like to see them tell me mine is slammed.
i just rocked KYB GR2 with no problems, even with how low i was. my KYB's were 2 or 3 years old when i lowered the car and even after a year they were absolutely fine. i thought they would blow within a couple of months. i'd just rock cheap struts until they blow and replace them again vs rebuilding
Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 PM

lol no but i did buy a 93 se black on black will post pics later, going from a 4th gen to a 3rd gen i can say i am not dissapointed
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

bump, the car is being parted out

http://forums.maxima.org/1st-3rd-gen...-out-mods.html
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Man this is sad to hear. I just don't have the money.