3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

That K&N really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Soo guys help me out here. I ordered a Jim Wolf Technology POP Charger kit (just the intake cone filter) that requires that you remove Air Box. Last night I went to the Catman website and I discoverd they have full intake kits for my 91. Including tubing and your choice of a JWT cone, or a Monster Flow one?? Anyone recommend whats better for me sound and performance?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 PM

i have a 93 maxima se. i'm trying to put the k&n in but i am having a heck of time trying to remove the old air filter and put in the k&n. i think i'm missing something obvious or is it really difficult? the autozone repair page makes it look easy, but i think the second picture in that guide is wrong. anyway if you guys can help a brother out i would appreciate it. thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by sargeantcity
wheres da best mount for a gab on a 93gxe if u know im thinkin about customizin a scoop or cowl but i havent seen one on a 3rd gen
im not entirely sure what the hell u just asked...
a hood scoop placement? probably right above the stock intake location? reminder, you will need to make both the air box and scoop custom, since nobody makes one(or if you can find a box/scoop for another car, and mod it to fit)
Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by beefbowl
i have a 93 maxima se. i'm trying to put the k&n in but i am having a heck of time trying to remove the old air filter and put in the k&n. i think i'm missing something obvious or is it really difficult? the autozone repair page makes it look easy, but i think the second picture in that guide is wrong. anyway if you guys can help a brother out i would appreciate it. thanks.
it should just slip right in. where are you having problems, opening it up, or swapping it out, or putting it back together?

the one i got fit perfectly into the box.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
it should just slip right in. where are you having problems, opening it up, or swapping it out, or putting it back together?

the one i got fit perfectly into the box.
there's 4 clips iirc on the stock airbox. so you might be missing the ones on the back side.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM

thanks for your quick responses. i actually had trouble lifting the top piece enough for the old filter to be removed. so, i unscrewed the 6 bolts from the top portion where it connects to the MAF(?) and lower portion bracket. i then loosened the MAF and took it out so i could just plain remove the top part of the filter housing. i did an oil change and air filter change and it took me an hour and a half of cursing to get that air filter housing off. i am so glad i don't have to change that filter again. seriously, after taking the 4 spring clips off it had almost no play for me to remove the old air filter.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

thanks for your quick responses. i actually had trouble lifting the top piece enough for the old filter to be removed. so, i unscrewed the 6 bolts from the top portion where it connects to the MAF(?) and lower portion bracket. i then loosened the MAF and took it out so i could just plain remove the top part of the filter housing. i did an oil change and air filter change and it took me an hour and a half of cursing to get that air filter housing off. i am so glad i don't have to change that filter again. seriously, after taking the 4 spring clips off it had almost no play for me to remove the old air filter.
weird.... i don't remember having that problem. not that i've ever changed a panel filter on a maxima. i went straight to a cone filter (and i should change it, really).
Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

word of caution: k&n may "last forever," but it does need cleaning and reoiling ocasionally...
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM

how can you make the pipe, or what other CAI for a different car will fit onto a VG30E???

I WANT ONE
Old 04-19-2008, 10:15 PM

...after taking the 4 spring clips off it had almost no play for me to remove the old air filter.
Clips pop open with a screwdriver. Loosening the intake pipe (flex rubber clamp) will release playing space.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Shaking?

my 92' GXE shakes when its in idle could this be fixed by the intake?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BruceM99
...fixed by the intake?
?

Only if intake is faulty fixing that fault helps to reduce causes...

Start replacing crap (?) cap, wires, rotor TPS etc ... see p. 10, 12, 14 etc
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/12
Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 AM

anyone kno the answer to my question?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E
anyone kno the answer to my question?
--->http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=379935
Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks Greeny.

I Might Go With a Custom Short Ram for now, a CAI may be out of the question for now
Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 AM

Soo guys help me out here. I ordered a Jim Wolf Technology POP Charger kit (just the intake cone filter) that requires that you remove Air Box. Last night I went to the Catman website and I discoverd they have full intake kits for my 91. Including tubing and your choice of a JWT cone, or a Monster Flow one?? Anyone recommend whats better for me sound and performance?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM

damn... this thread is still around?

well you're mainly going to get a lot of sound, but very little performance no matter what you go with. A full TURE CAI intake will only do you any good while at idle. unless Mr. Gone has done some other test that I haven't read yet.

I seem to recall my intake being louder at full throttle with my filter and stock tube, than with my mandrel pipe and filter. But the hiss of the air being sucked in at idle is more pronounced with the mandrel pipe.

But when cruising down the highway, you're not going to see much of a difference between a CAI and HAI in terms of performance.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
...my intake being louder at full throttle with my filter and stock tube, than with my mandrel pipe and filter. ...
The stock box is a confuzean tech marvel: the top cover air volume is too low, intake tube opening too near the filter. Sucked air dust makes the air suck hole 'picture' on the filter. This means only 10% filter area is really used. Implication is bad choking filtering system... 'Smtg' has to be done on both sides of the stock filter.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Wiking
The stock box is a confuzean tech marvel: the top cover air volume is too low, intake tube opening too near the filter. Sucked air dust makes the air suck hole 'picture' on the filter. This means only 10% filter area is really used. Implication is bad choking filtering system... 'Smtg' has to be done on both sides of the stock filter.
isn't a cone filter the soution, with 100% usage and no choking?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
isn't a cone filter the soution, with 100% usage and no choking?
Cone filter is a solution.

Why not for me:
I want to see an enclosure around my filter. Neither does the escaped intake noise tend but only the drivers ego (my ego is already too big). Also all 80yr old will turn to look at WOT (the only trumpet they can hear

I just added one inch plastic 'shim'. This raises the top cover 30mm from filter surface. Butt dyno registers a boost; I am confident that the dust ring wont appear, but whole filter surface is now more uniformly used. This means less restriction.

Test shim increasing filter/---/air input distance, filtered air volume:

Last edited by Wiking; 04-21-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
The stock box is a confuzean tech marvel:
I never said I was using the box, just the stock tube. I was also using a Ractiv Tornado Cone Filter.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM

ve

Originally Posted by 89blackse
Agreed. I installed a KN OEM style and didnt notice a damn thing. Then I cut and drilled the factory airbox and noticed some power on the 'butt dyno' and it sounded way mean even with broken studs. Then I installed a cone filter and didnt notice any increase of power over the ghetto airbox "mod" but it did sound even cooler. If I were to do it all again, I would get a MAF bracket and a cone filter. FYI this all applies to the VG which will never sound as bada$$ as a VQ with the same cone filter. Havent heard a NA VE30DE to compare too.
My ve has a simular sound as my neighbors vq. I did notice a difference in my vg even with a $25.00 3a racing short ram. Maybe because it was a stick who knows. It was pretty ballsy from the beginning.