3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: What type of intake do you have?
Stock Intake
23.87%
Stock Intake with K/N Panel Filter
14.41%
Cold Air Intake
31.98%
Pop Charger (HAI)
29.73%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Pop charger, cai, or stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
heresmymind

Pop charger, cai, or stock

Just wondering how many people have CAIs / Pop Chargers / Stock Intakes.

Heres a Picture of my CAI I made from a 93 Accord CAI on my VG:

Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 PM

I've got stock, but might put a CAI in this summer after I do some suspension work.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Full custom cai here...

Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 PM

is it really worth doing?? im on stock box and filter and ive heard mixed opinions on changing. what do you guys say?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM

People said it was a pretty good mod in the 'Best Performance Upgrade' thread, but I think it's just as much for the power benefits as it is for the sound.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by heresmymind
I always thought that you had to cut sheetmetal for that CAI to fit.

Thanks for the pic btw.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
heresmymind

nope the pipe that goes from the lower intake manifold has 2 pipes coming out. u chop the small one off and plug it. then u have to cut away under your headlight bracket for the filter. I have gotten MANY compliments on it. I want to chrome the upper intake manifold and TB. and have it match. I am slowly pulling off parts that are metal and sanding them to shinny metal.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I can has?

nope the pipe that goes from the lower intake manifold has 2 pipes coming out. u chop the small one off and plug it. then u have to cut away under your headlight bracket for the filter. I have gotten MANY compliments on it. I want to chrome the upper intake manifold and TB. and have it match. I am slowly pulling off parts that are metal and sanding them to shinny metal.
Any Kind of Big Difference from the HAI? Sound, Performance, efficiency?
________
Class action settlement

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
heresmymind

effiency i noticed a slight improvement in gas millage. the low end rpms gave the stock accel back. With the HAI i had it killed Accel. Sound is the same but its not as loud because it is in the bumper. and it sure does look pretty.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
kthxbye2u

i have CAI

i love it

sounds nice
havent checked my gas mileage for a while sooo idk maybe ill start checking and get back with ya

and i did a lot of cutting ... grinding actually
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

regular fender well CAI here

Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Michael,there is NOTHING regular about that engine...

Truly a masterpiece..
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

effiency i noticed a slight improvement in gas millage. the low end rpms gave the stock accel back. With the HAI i had it killed Accel. Sound is the same but its not as loud because it is in the bumper. and it sure does look pretty.
your post confuses me...the pic you posted is of a CAI. I always thought the HAI was like the short ram setup most VG owners do. So you're saying that with a CAI setup vs a HAI setup, the CAI gives a slower accelleration? Please clarify!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM
heresmymind

No, the CAI gives better acceleration than the HAI. I'd say slightly better than stock air box. but the high end is improved. so it doesn't slow your low end down like a hai. and benefits in the high end

I have had both. and i prefer the CAI because of the low end power.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 AM

is there a way to install the CAI without cutting into the car?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by SolSagan
is there a way to install the CAI without cutting into the car?
Nope,some cutting has to be done...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Minimal cutting though. 3 min of cutting tops.

Here's a pic of when Goner and I finished up prototyping the Ve one. About 2 years ago LOL

Old 01-09-2007, 11:28 AM
heresmymind

Awsome. I have found more 3rd generation owners Have CAI's than the 4th and 5th and we have more custom work to do! where are the other VG intakes!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM

i just have a regular pop charger on the 3rd gen. didn't notice squat with performance...i just got it for the sound.

also have a 'short ram' on my 6th gen. also didn't feel squat, but hearing the 3.5 scream to redline is so
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Here is mine. 3" Mandrel (purchased from Mr. Gone) with Ractiv Filter, I was too lazy to grind the weld off. Like how it turned out with it still on there when I painted it. Though currently it's sitting in a box since I have my engine out and torn down.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I miss my VE

I think the CAI is the obviose choice here
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

im new to the maxima seen, but ive been doing work on cars for about 3 years. i was just wondering what brand on CAI you all would recomend for a VG powered SE.

i was looking @ the cattman performance intake, any opinions?

sorry about the semi hijack, but i need to make 15 replies before i can start a thread about it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by L|_|da
im new to the maxima seen, but ive been doing work on cars for about 3 years. i was just wondering what brand on CAI you all would recomend for a VG powered SE.

i was looking @ the cattman performance intake, any opinions?
welcome fellow maxima-er lol
in all honesty.. i would reccomend making your own. youve seen pictures. parts are cheap and you can make it any way you want. do it up!!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I can has?

Alright, So I have my HAI and I really didn't feel too much of a loss in my low end rpm's, but I definitely felt it give me some high end gain. But I've found an 93 Accord CAI on eBay, and for the price it's kind of hard to pass up from how well heresmymind says it works. But I had a few questions, I guess for hereismymind since you're the only who I've seen with it done.

I went and took a peek at my engine bay to refresh my memory and was wondering if the pipe attached to the filter had any issues fitting beside the batter, and under the electrical/fuse box sitting right there? Do you have to cut away anything under those to compensate for the pipe? And What, and how much of the headlight area do you have to take out in order to fit the filter?

I think that's pretty much it, as you said I just have to cap the little hose extension by the lower intake manifold... soo, is that it?

edit: Honda CAI <--- I assume that is the one you have/ Will work?
________
Nexium Injury Lawyer

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM
94c Big Max

Just wondering how many people have CAIs / Pop Chargers / Stock Intakes.

that looks like an accord kit.... who did you brought it from? where can I get one like it off ebay?

did you have to cut anything? if so, what did you cut off to get it fit? and what about the air sensor? our VG stock is not going to fit so you I assume you have to replace it with something else? what model?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
heresmymind

alright question questions questions.

That is the exact piping i bought. i just snipped off the smaller tube and tak'd the hole shut. as for cutting the only cutting is under the headlight bracket. if you don't want to get a cut. get a 90 degree pipe and have the filter face straight down. you will need to buy larger rubber cuplinks. in that pic they are the stock ones. but they are for 2.75" not a 3" pipe. so attaching it to your MAF, you either have to stretch it. or buy the larger ones. which is liek 10$ at ur local Homo-Zone. there is no problem under the fuse box or battery. just take the 2 bolts out move the box. and put back when done replacing. to get the filter on you need to go from underneath the fender well. take the plastic guard off. and bring the filter up from underneath. also i advise buying a K+N filter. I did and it made more of a difference. 2.75" inlet. any other questions feel free to ask...

Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I can has?

alright question questions questions.

That is the exact piping i bought. i just snipped off the smaller tube and tak'd the hole shut. as for cutting the only cutting is under the headlight bracket. if you don't want to get a cut. get a 90 degree pipe and have the filter face straight down. you will need to buy larger rubber cuplinks. in that pic they are the stock ones. but they are for 2.75" not a 3" pipe. so attaching it to your MAF, you either have to stretch it. or buy the larger ones. which is liek 10$ at ur local Homo-Zone. there is no problem under the fuse box or battery. just take the 2 bolts out move the box. and put back when done replacing. to get the filter on you need to go from underneath the fender well. take the plastic guard off. and bring the filter up from underneath. also i advise buying a K+N filter. I did and it made more of a difference. 2.75" inlet. any other questions feel free to ask...
On It's Way
________
*** ****ING

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

problems

Hey guys, i know this is prob a little off topic but i cant make a new thread or search cuz im a noob..

Long story short i installed a simple cone filter a month ago and ever since the car has been hesitant from 4-5000 rpm and at times just runs rough while accelerating. Figured it was the MAF, so i replaced that. Changed the coolant temp and the problem still persists. Wrapped the coils in electrical tape.. Im gettin po'ed fast.. any insight?

thanx..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
heresmymind

what cone filter did you put on? Our engines don't like some filters and have been known to be a little picky. I notice your in danbury, I live in southbury ct(maybe 15 mins away), we should meet up. Since you are a newbie I may be able to help you with some things!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yeah def bro my dad actually works at ibm in southbury lol. Im def a newb to this car and its been giving me all sorts of garbage latley. Its just a simple cone filter... like one of them cheap apc ones.. if you got AIM.. you can hit me at speedfreak4996.. cut some post time down lol
Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 PM

What is the best intake for a VG? I've mixed reactions of this.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
What is the best intake for a VG? I've mixed reactions of this.
Well, I had stock, got a pop charger now, and my CAI (stole idea from heresmymind) is in the mail... so once I get that installed I'll do a little write up.
________
Catastrophe Bond Dicussion

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys i am new to the max world i have a 92 maxima vg30e auto and since i cant post a new thread i was hoping someone can help me out. i am looking for a good CAI where can i get a good one for a good price? i also wanna get a good y-pipe if u can also tell me where? thanx also i see u guys talking alot about a UDP can u tell me wat that is? thanx
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by 92maxvg30e
hey guys i am new to the max world i have a 92 maxima vg30e auto and since i cant post a new thread i was hoping someone can help me out. i am looking for a good CAI where can i get a good one for a good price? i also wanna get a good y-pipe if u can also tell me where? thanx also i see u guys talking alot about a UDP can u tell me wat that is? thanx
So I guess newbs are completely exempt from doing any kind of reading what-so-ever as long as the text isn't a direct answer to something they're asking right? I think almost all of your questions are answered in this thread ALONE. All you have to do is be more involved and scan through them before you post and you'll probably find what you're looking for. But instead, you just blindly go into a thread with a somewhat appealing title to what you need, and post something completely irrelivant to what the members of that thread are getting in conversation with, and you throw it off track. Not trying to nitpick here, but why not read what you're posting in, so then you can at least be on the same page as everyone.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

No you're not

Originally Posted by MaxxBlack03TE
Cool---waitin for my CAI to come in :-)
Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
heresmymind

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
So I guess newbs are completely exempt from doing any kind of reading what-so-ever as long as the text isn't a direct answer to something they're asking right? I think almost all of your questions are answered in this thread ALONE. All you have to do is be more involved and scan through them before you post and you'll probably find what you're looking for. But instead, you just blindly go into a thread with a somewhat appealing title to what you need, and post something completely irrelivant to what the members of that thread are getting in conversation with, and you throw it off track. Not trying to nitpick here, but why not read what you're posting in, so then you can at least be on the same page as everyone.
Burn.......

Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I can has?

So my Honda Accord Cold Air Intake came in today. With some words of advice (previously) from Heresmymind, and about 4 hours; I'm up and running. I did it a bit different though. I cut about 3 inches of pipe off of the Filter Connector pipe and ran a flexible cup link from the end of it, to a flexible 3" hose that ran down into the fender well, then connected my Filter to the hose, using the 3" piece of piping I cut off as an "interior cup link" if you will. But it's rainy and dark here now, but soon I'll be able to erm... "test it out"

pics: (sorry if they load slow I have them running on my home server)

video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VnsFR23I-kc

edit: Had to change the file names of pictures cause my server crashed/ I uploaded new pics.
________
Brunette milf

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
heresmymind

Yeah you put ur pipe frmo the intake manifold to the MAF backwards compared to the way I did it. and good idea with the flex. Congrats on the custom CAI for a VG. And Glad I could help! looks good!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
I think the first tube should be the other way around closer to the plenum, blue hose should connect directly to iacv.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I can has?

Yeah you put your pipe from the intake manifold to the MAF backwards compared to the way I did it. and good idea with the flex. Congrats on the custom CAI for a VG. And Glad I could help! looks good!
Yeah, it wasn't fitting correctly the way you did it, so I just flopped it around and connected the two hoses (hah; temporarily until I can get a longer one)
________
Avandia Class Action Lawsuit

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Pop charger, cai, or stock