Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

To preserve or not to preserve

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM

To preserve or not to preserve

If you had a total 5 wheels. 1 in new condition and 4 in used condtion. 1 out of the 4 used wheels has 2 moderate/heavy bends. Would you take the bent one off and use the new one instead?

Consider this. What if you would want keep the option available of possibly selling all of these wheels? Do you want to preserve that last wheel to maintain a great set of 4 with one extra beat up back up wheel? Will you not get any return on a set of used wheels to begin with ?

Cliffs: Should you live for the moment and use a perfect back up wheel and risk bending it? Or should you deal with an existing bent wheel and preserve the backup wheel to be able to sell a nicer wheel set as a whole?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Play with my balls

pics first, answer later.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM

I think a lot of that depends on the value of the wheel...i.e. what's it worth and what's it worth to you are two different things.

The other is, would you plan on selling them sooner or later?

Me personally I'd put the new one on, and discard the worst of the bent ones. If it's bent, do you really want to try to sell it to some fool?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor

put the new one on, have the damage one repaired.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Just go and use the new one and have the bent rim repaired. Also, what brand of rims are you referring to? Pictures will help.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 AM

they are discontinued and when i bought them in sept 2005 they where only $119.00 a piece... and i had a shop repair one (winter 07) but it was for $240.00...

I am leaning towards just using it. If I think about it I have "like new" ones on there now so whats the difference if I use another "like new" one. I probably wouldnt sell them anytime soon, and if i did i would clearly show how that 1 outa 5 is bent.

Discontinued -- Exel RH-5 Gunmetal 18".75 35mm.
(Racing Hart (RH) C5 (5) replicas)
you can see the bend in the back
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Former Vendor

yeah... go ahead and use it then. at $120 a pop new the resale value isn't even worth thinking about.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yup.....put the new one on.

Depending on how bent it is, you could keep it as is and use it as a spare for short term use. Or you could get it repaired and just use the new one in the mean time, and take it off after the other one is fixed.

I guess it all depends on if there is a tire on the new one as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
yeah... go ahead and use it then. at $120 a pop new the resale value isn't even worth thinking about.
good way to look at it, if I look at one wheel in this way then I am riding on 3 like new ones as it is so what would it hurt.
Originally Posted by kgallerie
Yup.....put the new one on.

Depending on how bent it is, you could keep it as is and use it as a spare for short term use. Or you could get it repaired and just use the new one in the mean time, and take it off after the other one is fixed.

I guess it all depends on if there is a tire on the new one as well.
Also a good note, I am riding on the bent one right now and its acceptable (up front is really bad). Its definately bent moderately in 2 spots.
There is almost 90% tire on the newer one. So in the end I am going to go for it. Thanks everyone it definately helped my decision.

Hopefully there is a shop out there that can fix wheels for around $150.00 and it may be worth it then. Also the $240.00 job was spectacualr and emmaculate and looked better than when it was new. They clear coated, gave the lip a brushed look and mounted the same tire on there. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Hopefully there is a shop out there that can fix wheels for around $150.00 and it may be worth it then. Also the $240.00 job was spectacualr and emmaculate and looked better than when it was new. They clear coated, gave the lip a brushed look and mounted the same tire on there. I guess you get what you pay for.
There is a shop up here (Tewksbury, MA) called Rimpro that straightens 17" wheels for $100 and 18-19" for $135. I have used them many times and you can ship them your wheel if you would like. Here is their website: http://www.rimpro.com/

You can probably find something closer to "home of the Blunt, PA" for less than $240
Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
good way to look at it, if I look at one wheel in this way then I am riding on 3 like new ones as it is so what would it hurt.

Also a good note, I am riding on the bent one right now and its acceptable (up front is really bad). Its definately bent moderately in 2 spots.
There is almost 90% tire on the newer one. So in the end I am going to go for it. Thanks everyone it definately helped my decision.

Try Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. They do an EXCELLENT job. Price them out..it may be around $150.

Good Luck
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by burnurass
Try Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. They do an EXCELLENT job. Price them out..it may be around $150.

Good Luck
Coincedentally thats who i used they are one of the best definately recommend them. Great quality work, but yeah i walked out with a $240.00 bill.