Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Initial Review

In a few words so far so good.

To expand on those few words they seem to be a great tire and I'm coming from a tire that I thought was pretty darn good the toyo proxes4 other than the noise.

Dry Handling: Slightly better ultimate grip and much better feel than the Toyos. I am surpised that in quick transitions there seems to be less deflection of the tire sidewall thus the front of the car responds quicker to small inputs

Braking: Hard to tell havent tested them hard enough yet, both work very well under hard braking. I remember making my old man dizzy doing a couple panic stops with the toyos from highway speed.

Acceleration: havent gone WOT with my car in a while as I might need tranny work soon. That being said the wheels havent slipped a bit from quick street starts. More data coming when theres not a foot of snow on the ground.

Wet traction/control: WORLDS difference here. To put it simply I didnt think they made tires that wouldent hydroplane.. I was doing 80mph coming back from the cape while it was raining at an inch an hour. I had my windshield wipers on high the whole time talking on the phone. The rain was bad enough to bring most traffic down to around 50-60 mph. I didnt even notice I was moving so quickly. These things just do not hydroplane their fantastic.

Noise: Alright we already know how I feel about the proxes. I had a bad wheel bearing on top of the very worn proxes4. It made for a noise that I found unbearable and I havent found a car loud enough yet (other than this one) that it actually bothered me. People can say anything they want about how these tires are not noisy when new but I remember taking my first drive with the proxes after getting rid of the potenzas and remarking about a noticible hum. It wasnt absurd then, but got absurd as the tire hit about 30-40k. Not only that they were never perfectly balanced. They tire shop couldent get them to balance out without high road force.
The Michelins man what a different story. I can hear my engine distinctly now and thats saying a lot with a stock engine I35. No noise at all, I am shocked after reading some reviews that some people actually call them loud. They also may get louder as they wear but even if they do.. I dont think they will ever be as loud as the proxes were, even when new. Not only that the michelins balanced out with about 10grams of weight on 2 wheels and no weights on the other 2 wheels, very impressive stuff.

Comfort: While these tires do seem to give better transitional response they also ride softer. My car is not a soft ride but over bumps there is less crashing and banging. Noticibly so that I actually feel a little better about how stiff my suspension is.

Snow: The biggest suprise. These things are great in the snow. Maybe I've always had tires that were bad in the snow but its snowed about 16" over the last 3 days and my car hasnt skipped a beat. With about 3-4" on the road I was having a joly time plowing along at a good clip. Hell over hard pack I was doing about 30-35 around the neighborhood with enough braking handling ability to stay in control. I decided to really test the car out and I took it to the steepest hill I could find, stop the car mid hill and I actually got going again on the hill and got up it. This is considered just impossible with a 2wd car or without snow tires.

Today it actually rained and then got cold and took the fluffy 16" of snow and made it a heavy wet/frozen 14" of snow. On top of that I got plowed into my parking spot. I knew I could get out even though the parking space is slighly sloped in the opposite direction. As you can see it was up past the rear bumper

I had my GF take a vid of me getting unstuck. Almost had it first try, pretty impressive for an all season tire huh?
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/I...3-983500d52ac8

Overall if these tires last 30-40K I can confidently say they are a perfect performance all season tire. They're just very well rounded and dont have any obvious downsides for a daily driven car that sees 4 real seasons.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are these the 'Plus' or standard Pilot Sports?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by graysky
Are these the 'Plus' or standard Pilot Sports?

standard pilot sports. I got 4 of them for 480$ shipped
Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool, that's a great price. Depending on the size, the 'Plus' versions are nearly double that.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:22 AM

Cool, that's a great price. Depending on the size, the 'Plus' versions are nearly double that.
They are
235/45/17s

They have some big sales on the original Pilot Sport A/S because of the new A/S plus tire coming out which looks almost the exact same.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know.... I just shelled out the $$$ for a set of the 'Plus' model.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:05 AM

I know.... I just shelled out the $$$ for a set of the 'Plus' model.
well at least you know they'll last you 40k+
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Are those the ones that come stock 18" G35c wheels? If so i hate them. They never seem to stick
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
Are those the ones that come stock 18" G35c wheels? If so i hate them. They never seem to stick
As far as I know, no car comes with Michellin Pilot Spot A/S stock
Old 01-24-2009, 03:56 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Hope they last longer than Pilot HX MXM4's did for me. They were pretty loud too.

I wonder that the difference is between them and the Sport A/S that you got?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM

I have the same tires, and got them for like 50% off on tire-rack when they were doing a clearance a few months ago. I absolutely love them. I also had Proxes4 before these, and i like these so much more.

Good review
Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 AM

How would these compare to the Michelin Primacy MXV4's? They are one of the highest rated tires over at tire rack. I am looking for the quietest highway tire that is also good in all types of weather. The other one that seems like it would fit the bill is the Bridgestone 960A/S pole position. Both of these tires are expensive.

Last edited by Adamax; 02-11-2009 at 10:20 AM.