Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Question about spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 AM

Question about spacers

Driving around the city a week or so back I saw a Toyota Highlander (yes I know it looks nothing like a Maxima) that had a nice set of rims on it. Too bad I was driving my F-250 (Way too big to be a Maxima I know) and couldn't get a good look at the brand, mainly because I was sitting way to high to see it. But I did get a good look at the style. Well finally I found it online today.

But a small problem came up when I started looking around for the cheapest price. According to one site, my backspacing now is 18mm, and the rims I'm looking at only have 2mm. So the need for a spacer has came up. I should have known considering the tires stuck out a little.

So my question is, what are some of the adverse of effects of running spacers? I'm going with a slightly wider rim than stock, but the same diameter.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think you're stressing too much about it. How wide is the rim and what is the offset? My rears barely clear my trailing arm, especially with the sway bar bracket jutting out. I can barely fit a pinky finger between the tire and bracket.

And with spacers, the only adverse effects I've heard are that it moves the center of rotational mass away from the hub, putting extra stress on the wheel bearings. Something along those lines.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

Opps my bad... got lost in rim technical terms. Plus I was about half asleep when I wrote the first post.

The stock rim is 16x6.5 w/ (+ or - ?)18mm offset (not back spacing)

The rim I want, 16x8 w/ +2mm offset

Well I was about to put the picture up, but it's really huge, about life size anyway, it's an Eagle Alloy 146

http://www.jdwheels.com/images/eagle%20146.jpg
Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Opps my bad... got lost in rim technical terms. Plus I was about half asleep when I wrote the first post.

The stock rim is 16x6.5 w/ (+ or - ?)18mm offset (not back spacing)

The rim I want, 16x8 w/ +2mm offset

Well I was about to put the picture up, but it's really huge, about life size anyway, it's an Eagle Alloy 146

http://www.jdwheels.com/images/eagle%20146.jpg
There's no way you're going to get an 8" wide wheel with +2 offset to fit under the stock fenders. They are going to stick out over an inch. Stock maxima offset is around +40 something. Maybe it's different for a 3rd gen, but I can't possibly see it being +18 offset stock. An aggressive (but good) offset with an 8" wide wheel is +35.