Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Need Tire Recommendation for '04 SL

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need Tire Recommendation for '04 SL

OK, these OEM Continental tires are crap. I have 21,000 miles on my Max and there is no way these tires are going to make it through the winter. My plan is to replace them in the fall.

I can get an employee discount on Goodyear tires, so that's where I normally look first. However, even with the employee discount, better deals can be found elsewhere, I know.

So, I need help from all of you 'experts' on what would be the best tire for my SL. I want a good, reliable, well-wearing tire. If you have found that tire, let me know!

Thanks!

Jane
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 AM

Me needing tires 2

My biggest problem is noises. I threw out the stock RSA @22K because they made my Max sounded like crap. I bought a set of Tirerack's AvonTech and they are the biggest mistake. They were nice until 12K and I'm experiencing the biggest noises created from tires. The noise is unbearable. It's twice as loud as anything I know (and I have the 265- tires on my Pathfinder). So I will need to throw them out soon. That's really hurt 'cause they look new still. I don't want to throw tires out every year due to noises. I'm thinking about the Pirelli Pzero for $200 a pop @tirerack. I'm focusing on noise comfort for the life of the tires.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM

In my SE, I replaced the RSAs at about 24 K miles -- they were crap. I went to Michelin Pilot Sports (at about $200 each). They are great tires and am glad I don't have to put up with the RSAs any more.

Go here and see what the reviews are for the tires you are considering. It will also recommend tires for the type of driving you do.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Search...ng=V&minLoad=S
Old 07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If noise is your concern, check out Falken ST-115.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
retired moderator

Check out the sticky up top to see what is most popular. If you're looking for a good-performing all-season, the Pilot Sports are the best in snow, but also the most expensive. The Toyo Proxes 4 (not FZ4, note) are a great tire as well (what I use). Excellent dry and rain traction, and decent in the snow if you have fairly good tread depth. The tires are very quiet when newish, though they are getting a little bit loud after 15K miles on mine....though only at slow speeds.

I plan to buy a 3rd set of the Proxes when these are through.

If you're looking for something that has higher wear, the Proxes and Pilots don't last as long as more of a cruising tire would (i.e. buy something not considered "ultra high performance" all-season.

Like I said though, check out the stickies above - there is one on all-season tire popularity with alot of commentary.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:43 PM

I've gotten some good miles from the continental's but not too happy with wet traction. I have already gotten 43K miles out of them and probably will get another 7-10k, but I'm interested in hearing some recommendations too. I am not looking for high-performance, but rather good traction, quiet ride and decent treadwear. I've heard some recommendations for the Michelin HydroEgde tires, but I'm usually werey of tires that claim 70k+ treadwear. Any inputs?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM

^^^^^^
The Michelin Pilot Sports will give you all you ask for, except high mileage. To get good traction, you need "skicky" rubber, which does not wear as well as harder rubber -- that does not stick so well to the road. Don't think you can get it all. I gave up the high mileage for a safer ride.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I went with the brand NEW Hankook Ventus V4 ES 225-55ZR-17. It's zr rated, all season Hankook tire that just came out. They are cheaper than most and performs exceptionally well (hence the zr rating). I installed them at local hankook tire shop but it's so new that I wasn't able to find them online. I'm very impressed w/ the quality of these tires and the handling. These tires alone got rid of my minor shimmy problem w/ the continentals at high speeds (80+). I noticed it tracks way better than my old continentals and grips much better as well on the corners. I have yet to find out their longivity but I have confidence they will outlast the stock continentals.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:43 AM

I have an SE with the 18 inch wheels. I tossed the Goodyear RSA's and went with the TOYO Proxes T1R's. They are sweet for traction, havent had them in the snow yet though. They have some mean deep tread on them too!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 AM

I put Bridgestone Potenza 960/AS Pole Positions on my 04 SE. I'd imagine they would be fine on an SL too.