Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

18's in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:08 PM

18's in the Snow

I too am looking for a good all season tire. Very little selection in the OEM size, and I am a little worried about the mixed reviews I've seen for the Falkens. I am impressed with what Ive been hearing on the Toyo Proxes 4's and would like to try them, but they don't make an OEM size. Talked to a couple of local shop, and they said I should NOT think about 18's if I was going to be driving with them in the snow. Will driving on 18's in the snow be useless? I am in Colorado, so we do get snow, but in most cases, it is not too bad. Snow is usually gone within a day or two. Just wanted to get some thoughts....especially if there is anyone from CO online here! Considering Toyo Proxes 4; 235x40x18; and if I can find the HP Evos; Axis Mods; or Enkei PK6.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by mm7759
I too am looking for a good all season tire. Very little selection in the OEM size, and I am a little worried about the mixed reviews I've seen for the Falkens. I am impressed with what Ive been hearing on the Toyo Proxes 4's and would like to try them, but they don't make an OEM size. Talked to a couple of local shop, and they said I should NOT think about 18's if I was going to be driving with them in the snow. Will driving on 18's in the snow be useless? I am in Colorado, so we do get snow, but in most cases, it is not too bad. Snow is usually gone within a day or two. Just wanted to get some thoughts....especially if there is anyone from CO online here! Considering Toyo Proxes 4; 235x40x18; and if I can find the HP Evos; Axis Mods; or Enkei PK6.
I highly recommend putting snow tires on your stock rims and running those. But, if I had to recommend an all-season tire, I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss. Personally, I bought a set of beater 17's and used snow tires, since my big brake kit prevents me from using my stock wheels in the winter (what I've been doing the past 2 years).
Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Assuming you still have your stock wheels the easiest thing to do is buy a dedicated snow tires and mount them on our stock wheels. You could buy 18" snow tires for your rims, but you would have to unmount your tires each season. According to all magazine tests, an all season tire will work "OK", but if you are frequently encountering heavy winter weather the dedicated snow tire will be your best bet. The Bridgestone Blizzak is highly regarded. Take a look at the results of THIS search.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 AM

3 days ago i put toyo proxes 4, tire size 235/45/17. In the rain they are excelent -no snow yet-, i love them!! they are all season tires and look awsome too!!!!!