Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Any put 10" wide wheels on the back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
So if a person tells me it's a waste to mod my 96 I30 I should yell...."Who do you think you are!!!!".....
yes, exactly... =)
Old 05-11-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Do you even know what ABS is for?

Let me put it this way: myktek has 245/40/18 in his front and 275/40/18 at the back. That's like almost 4% difference/error. How about that?

~limsandy
4% is a big difference, cause 25 spins would be 100% or 1 extra revolution as opposed to the bigger wheel/tires. 25 spins is not a whole lot when your are doing 70mph on the highway and your TCS will go psycho.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:13 PM
2060lbs and falling...

It seems that you guys are forgeting that this is a totally different ball game on the 4th gens than 3rd and 5th. For me, understeer is only induced on a below 1g turn(over a hill). In this situation it is natural for understeer to occur because contact patch can reduce to nearly nothing. But on any other turn the tail end slips first. I see great value in having larger rears especially for us members of the beam club. If you guys all had 95's then you wouldn't have to worry about ABS now would you. J/K.

skandalouz, mark me down as one that bought rims for performance also. Its fine that you are sheltered in a crowd of pretty boys. See, but over here we like pushing the limits.

Great thread BTW. Good suspension info and entertainment.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by skandalouz
... so what's wrong with getting wider in the rear for looks???
Going along with all of your stated assumptions for a moment, "what's wrong" would be the apparent error in logic of putting the bigger/wider wheels/tires on the light end of the car leaving the little tires to carry the big load. Not quite as bad as the sight of a FWD car with only two snow tires mounted on the rear wheels or a RWD dragstrip car with the slicks on the front, but its along those lines.

I'd consider it an embarrassment to have people giggle and point at my car for a while before I found out why. And the perception of others means a lot to a great many people, never mind whether it's well-founded or not. So if you're going to go contrary to conventional wisdom, be prepared to attract some abuse/ridicule.

But given that this particular approach really has performance possibilities with the right tuning, let's assume that you had taken the time and effort to do it up right as a package. The final throw-down would be to know that you were maybe onto something that the casual observers didn't know and wouldn't recognize. So if it was me, I wouldn't say a word and just grin right back.

Norm
Old 05-15-2004, 07:20 PM

blah....UR OVER IT. If you dont like the idea of staggered...THATS GREAT. Some people like the look. some people thinks it helps! WHO CARES! MANY people think just the staggered setup in General looks TIGHT...AND SO DO I! there is no point in coming in here and trying to "change" our minds that staggered is bad. everyone that is running it has no problem with it...the first time you came i here telling us the negatives...u should have just left it at that...NObody cares! I personally think my Maxima will just look better than urs...but again, its JUST AN OPINION!! Nobody cares WHAT YOU THINK! and thats JUST YOU! Everyone else thinks staggered look looks good, except you and couple others....I guess your just not into have a 3.5" lip like I am! HAHAHA
Old 05-16-2004, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GeSeKeE19-
. . .If you dont like the idea of staggered...
I never said that. Please read (re-read?) the 3rd paragraph in my previous post. With a good enough reason, I'd run staggered too.

THATS GREAT. Some people like the look. some people thinks it helps! WHO CARES! MANY people think just the staggered setup in General looks TIGHT...AND SO DO I! everyone that is running it has no problem with it...the first time you came i here telling us the negatives...u should have just left it at that...NObody cares! I personally think my Maxima will just look better than urs...but again, its JUST AN OPINION!! Nobody cares WHAT YOU THINK! and thats JUST YOU! Everyone else thinks staggered look looks good, except you and couple others....I guess your just not into have a 3.5" lip like I am! HAHAHA
You're right in one respect; I've never been into appearance for its own sake. Nor do I mind coming right out and saying so (though I'm comfortable enough about my own opinions to feel absolutely zero need to shout them). Before I forget, you'll have to enlighten me - just what is a 3.5" lip?

As a consequence of a real performance improvement though, I'll readily go along with appearance changes even though I actually prefer the "sleeper" approach. Yes, I'm an engineer, which is probably what makes me look at more than just the "skin deep" when it comes to mods. And that (along with my relatively spirited driving) is what makes me unwilling to give away any measure of performance for appearance.

there is no point in coming in here and trying to "change" our minds that staggered is bad.
Believe it or not, I am smart enough to understand that opinions and decisions based primarily on emotion cannot be swayed anywhere near as easily as those based on logic. I don't need further proof.

Norm
Old 05-16-2004, 08:49 AM

.... i don't even remember what the topic of this post was even about now..... lol
Old 05-17-2004, 06:07 PM

I like how the discussion goes from "do it this way because it's correct" to "do it anyway because it looks cool and ignore all the technical stuff".