Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.
View Poll Results: Which tire?
ContiExtremeContact
100.00%
G-Force T/A KWDS
0%
Traction T/A H&V
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Choice Help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tire Choice Help...

Ok, well i need some help. I need to get some new tires, but i need something that will last. Im currently running Yokohama AVS ES100 tires in 225-55/16. Tread rating is 280 on those, and boy, they suck as far as longetivity/grip. I need something somewhat performance biased, but something that will last on a budget. I just looked at tirerack and found these...

-Continental ContiExtremeContact

-BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KWDS

-BFGoodrich Traction T/A H&V

The GForce T/A KDWS seem to be getting the best reviews of those tires listed. What do the tire whizes of the .org think?

Eric
Old 01-18-2004, 12:45 PM

Eric,

I am currently running the G Force KDWS in the 225/55 ZR16 size on my 5th gen GLE.

Based on what you have said about the Yokos, the BFG KDWS tire wears quickly as well. When the KDWS tires get worn, they are noisy at 50-65 mph on parkways but not at 70+ mph on the Interstate.

The W/Z rating is a softer, stickier rubber, hence the fastest wear rate.

Here is a dirty little secret about the Max. With high horsepower and front wheel drive, it will eat up tires unless you are relentless in keeping them properly inflated and rotated with balancing every 6-7k miles.

I would try the Continental since it is a V rated slightly harder compound than the Yokos and KDWS. You should get better wear from the V rated tire.

How many miles on the Yokos? Were they great handling tires when new?

John
Old 01-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnny2kgle
Eric,

I am currently running the G Force KDWS in the 225/55 ZR16 size on my 5th gen GLE.

Based on what you have said about the Yokos, the BFG KDWS tire wears quickly as well. When the KDWS tires get worn, they are noisy at 50-65 mph on parkways but not at 70+ mph on the Interstate.

The W/Z rating is a softer, stickier rubber, hence the fastest wear rate.

Here is a dirty little secret about the Max. With high horsepower and front wheel drive, it will eat up tires unless you are relentless in keeping them properly inflated and rotated with balancing every 6-7k miles.

I would try the Continental since it is a V rated slightly harder compound than the Yokos and KDWS. You should get better wear from the V rated tire.

How many miles on the Yokos? Were they great handling tires when new?

John

Well, as far as handling, the yokos were never terribly grippy tires. I went to the track and could never get good 60fts in them. My best i believe was a high 2.2/low 2.3 versus a 2.111 with the 205-55/16 Classic Radial tires that the car came with...

I put the tires on in may i believe and they are beyond the wear bars now. They should have been replaced about 2 months ago. I cant do any kind of launches anymore since it will just eat through 1st.

Im not terribly worried about noise, since these yokos arent quiet tires. I normally always have something going, whether it may be the music, windows open, or conversation...

The only thing bad about the conti's that i read through the reviews, is the consistent complaint of soft sidewalls. The handling tends to be mushy and the sidewall flexs moreso than normal...

Eric
Old 01-18-2004, 05:55 PM

The best BFG tire that I have used is the Comp T/A VR4 on my 94 altima in the 215/50 VR16. They are by far the best wearing BFG tire. Unfortunately, they are $125 in the 225/55 VR16 on clearance at The Tirerack. When I got them 2.5 years ago, they were $84.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...drich&x=20&y=6

For the $$$, the BFG G Force might be a good alternative for you based on your driving style and use at the track. At $93, its a good price for a sticky tire versus $120 for the Yokos.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by johnny2kgle
The best BFG tire that I have used is the Comp T/A VR4 on my 94 altima in the 215/50 VR16. They are by far the best wearing BFG tire. Unfortunately, they are $125 in the 225/55 VR16 on clearance at The Tirerack. When I got them 2.5 years ago, they were $84.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...drich&x=20&y=6

For the $$$, the BFG G Force might be a good alternative for you based on your driving style and use at the track. At $93, its a good price for a sticky tire versus $120 for the Yokos.

Yeah, i think i will go with the G-Forces. I dont want to totally give up on the performance side of the equation. but i still want something that will relatively last.

Anyone else have any other alternatives?

Eric
Old 01-18-2004, 08:17 PM

Ahh, i went with the Continental ContiExtremeContact. Should be here on wednesday/thursday!

Eric
Old 01-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

In terms of tread wear, the Contiental has the better rating per Tirerack. The BFGoodrich has a less agressive tread pattern, so it may have a quieter ride as well. My Conti's will be in this week so I'm axious to give them a try in the snow and slush.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
In terms of tread wear, the Contiental has the better rating per Tirerack. The BFGoodrich has a less agressive tread pattern, so it may have a quieter ride as well. My Conti's will be in this week so I'm axious to give them a try in the snow and slush.

Ha, the extent of bad weather over here in FL is just torrential rains every now and again. We dont know the joys of the slushy ****...

Eric