Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

All-season Tire Recommendations PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 AM

All-season Tire Recommendations PLEASE!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations on a good all-season tire in size 215/55-16 for my stock 16" wheels. NJ got hit with a good amount of snow, and my Maxima is parked until it melts because I still have the 18" wheels with Kumhos tires on my car. I wasn't expecting the snow to come this early, and I realized that the tires on my stock wheels are pretty bald, so I'd like to replace them before I put them on my car. Any recommendations? I was going to go with the Continental ContiTouring Contact CH95, but I'm not sure. I need something that is good in light snow. I probably won't use the Max in really deep snow because I'm lowered with a Stillen Body Kit. I need help ASAP!

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 12-07-2003, 06:44 PM

No Contitouring Contact CH95, get the Continental ContiExtremeContact. Better all season tire. Higher performance, and the 16" should be relatively cheap.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 PM

Dunlop A2s
Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Way out West

If I were you, I'd buy some blizzaks (or something similar). That way, once you have them, you can change them out yourself when the weather gets really bad and change back when it clears up. Most all seasons really aren't that good in the weather you are having.

I had a set of Dunlop D60 A2s on my first maxima and we got about 2-3 feet of snow. I may as well have had drag slicks all the way around, especially on hills.

Then, I bought a set of studded tires mounted on steel wheels and I was good to go.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nick97SE
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations on a good all-season tire in size 215/55-16 for my stock 16" wheels. NJ got hit with a good amount of snow, and my Maxima is parked until it melts because I still have the 18" wheels with Kumhos tires on my car. I wasn't expecting the snow to come this early, and I realized that the tires on my stock wheels are pretty bald, so I'd like to replace them before I put them on my car. Any recommendations? I was going to go with the Continental ContiTouring Contact CH95, but I'm not sure. I need something that is good in light snow. I probably won't use the Max in really deep snow because I'm lowered with a Stillen Body Kit. I need help ASAP!

Thanks,
-Nick
since you have Kumhos on the 18, why not go with the Kumho all season HP4 716 on the stock 16 for winter. I have them and live in the North East and so far have been pleased, especially considring they only cost $65 from Tire Rack
Old 12-07-2003, 09:22 PM

Bridgestone Turanza LS series (H,V,Z). They're rated top 3 on Tirerack website. I am currently run the LS-H series and they handle the snow pretty wheel in Northern Va (recent snow).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/gtas.jsp
Old 12-08-2003, 12:06 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
Bridgestone Turanza LS series (H,V,Z). They're rated top 3 on Tirerack website. I am currently run the LS-H series and they handle the snow pretty wheel in Northern Va (recent snow).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/gtas.jsp

Get the Continetal extreme contacts. I have them and it snowed here once and I don't even spin my tires when getting on it plus you can corner without letting off the gas like I had to do with me potenza's
Old 12-08-2003, 05:45 AM

I was actually looking into the Continental ExtremeContacts but they aren't available in 215/55-16 for the OEM 16" wheels. Or am I wrong on that? I'll check Tirerack again.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 AM

Doh! I just checked again and they are available. Those are the ones that I am going to go for then. I swear when I ran the size yesterday the Continentals only came up with ContiPremier Contact and the ContiTouring Contact CH95. Thanks for the help guys...I'll order tonight. I'll only be driving my car in light snow anyway because if its really deep, I can't drive in it as I am lowered with a body kit. Like even today, most of the main roads are clear but I still can't get out of my neighborhood. It was plowed but there is still a lot of packed down snow on the roads. Kumho 712s suck in the snow, but I'm sure most of you already knew that. I was planning to go back to stock 16s but I didn't expect the snow to hit this early.

Thanks again!
-Nick
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Bridgestone Potenza RE950......Pilots are the best a/s tires u can get but they go for $170 at tirerack, and about $225 at a local tire store.....(i am looking for tires too) my question is that should i get 215s or 225s ?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nick97SE
Doh! I just checked again and they are available. Those are the ones that I am going to go for then. I swear when I ran the size yesterday the Continentals only came up with ContiPremier Contact and the ContiTouring Contact CH95. Thanks for the help guys...I'll order tonight. I'll only be driving my car in light snow anyway because if its really deep, I can't drive in it as I am lowered with a body kit. Like even today, most of the main roads are clear but I still can't get out of my neighborhood. It was plowed but there is still a lot of packed down snow on the roads. Kumho 712s suck in the snow, but I'm sure most of you already knew that. I was planning to go back to stock 16s but I didn't expect the snow to hit this early.

Thanks again!
-Nick
You will not regret the ContiExtremeContacts. I have them and they have outstanding snow and wet performance and are even quite good on wet ice! Have found that the tires perform terrific at or near the rated 44psi. 32-35psi made them feel "swarmy" with too much sidewall flex. They are AA A A with a 5 ply tread area and they are extremely compliant in the sidewall...they put down one hell of a contact patch but need high pressure to keep the sidewalls rigid for handling and steering response. You are about to really enjoy winter driving again.