Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Best tire from these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 06:06 PM

Best tire from these?

Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 Blackwall
$190.14 Shipped (Tire Rack)

Continental Touring Contact AS Blackwall
$196.76 Shipped (Tire Rack)

Yokohama Avid Touring
Treadwear: 620
Traction: A
Temperature: B
Speed Rating: SR
80,000 mile limited treadwear warranty
$216.00 Shipped (Discount Tire Direct)
$206.60 Shipped (eTires)

Yokohama Aegis LS4
Treadwear: 460
Temperature: B
Speed Rating: SR
60,000 mile limited treadwear warranty
$224.00 Shipped (Discount Tire Direct)

Falken Ziex ZE-512
Treadwear: 420
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: HR
$208.00 Shipped (Discount Tire Direct)
----------------------------------------------
I'm thinking about getting the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 tires since they're pretty good in snow. I need some decent, cheap tires that'll handle pretty good in snow and rain. I don't race or anything so I don't need those $100 tires, so which would you buy from that selection? Are there other decent tires around the $200 range for a set of 4?

Thanks!
- Jatan
Old 06-13-2003, 11:41 AM

Re: Best tire from these?

The falken is the best tyre of that group. it will provide the most dry and wet traction, but its snow performance is not great.

Get some winter tyres, the difference in snow and ice is astounding
Old 06-13-2003, 12:50 PM

I guess the Falken one is crossed out because I need something that'll work pretty good in the Chicago snow. The ones I'm going to buy right now will be used this summer & winter, and by the time winter is over I'll have enough money saved up for new wheels and new tires for next year's summer.

The new wheels I get next year will be my summer set and the stock ones I got right now will be my winter set =)

Right now, my parents are willing to pay for the tires and we just saw some crappy ones locally for $50 each so thats $200 and I told them I can get better tires online for about the same =P My dad said its ok if I buy it online as long as I stay around the $200 range.

So what's your second choice then?

- Jatan
Old 06-14-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by JaTaN
I guess the Falken one is crossed out because I need something that'll work pretty good in the Chicago snow. The ones I'm going to buy right now will be used this summer & winter, and by the time winter is over I'll have enough money saved up for new wheels and new tires for next year's summer.

The new wheels I get next year will be my summer set and the stock ones I got right now will be my winter set =)

Right now, my parents are willing to pay for the tires and we just saw some crappy ones locally for $50 each so thats $200 and I told them I can get better tires online for about the same =P My dad said its ok if I buy it online as long as I stay around the $200 range.

So what's your second choice then?

- Jatan

I live just outside of toronto, so I have quite a bit of experience with snow

I would not go through another winter without a dedicated set of winter tyres.

For summer use, I would not use any of the tyres that you have specified except the falkens.

I am running 235/40/18 Yokohama AVS Sport, and 225/55/16 Dunlop SP Sport 9000 for track use.

I also have 215/55/16 Nokian Hakkapelitta 1 for winter
Old 06-15-2003, 05:49 AM

I'm just going to go buy the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716's since those handle pretty good in snow. I'll get the Falkens next year for the summer since I'll be getting new wheels next year.

I would buy Falkens now, but I'll be stuck with them in the snow and I don't want that =P Next year when I get new wheels, I'll get the Falkens b/c if I buy now, the 205/65/15 stock size won't fit on the new wheels and I'll be stuck with them...

Thanks for your help!
- Jatan