Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

4th gen Charge pipes in 5th gen, and other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM

4th gen Charge pipes in 5th gen, and other Q's

Ok so after alot of debating, Im going through with the install, but have not found anything describing how to successfully install a 4th gen s/c to a 5th gen. I've searched and searched, but my knowledge of boosting is limited and Im trying my damndest to learn without having to start new threads. I've read alot of how it will work with modification but that was the extent of it. What exactly is needed to make the 4th gen charge pipes work on my 5th gen? Write-up perhaps? Or would it be easier to just look for some 5th gen charge pipes? Also,i just read that 5th gen owners dont need to install the z32 MAF to have the s/c run correctly. Is this true? If I dont need it what do I need? Any help or links is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 PM
OWES MEMBER MONEY - DO NOT BUY FROM k20tek

A z32 maf won't work on a 5th gen depending on your boost levels you might have to make a larger internal diameter maf housing
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by k20tek
A z32 maf won't work on a 5th gen depending on your boost levels you might have to make a larger internal diameter maf housing

ahhh helll! Is there any other maf that would work on a 5th gen? I need all the guidance I can get. I never once saw anyone mention another type of MAF, just always seen the z32 used for s/c applications.

EDIT: Just did some more searching and I might of found my answer. But I will glady accept any further help!

Last edited by atxking27; 04-03-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Kevlo for President

You need a Rover Maf, but if you do, you will need something to control the timing since switching to that maf will raise the timing
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...sc-piping.html

That thread will answer your questions about 4th gen piping on a 5th gen. And like Kevlo said, you can go with a Land Rover MAF, but need a way to tune for it. You could run the stock MAF and just see where it maxes out. How much power are you looking for?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct

That thread will answer your questions about 4th gen piping on a 5th gen. And like Kevlo said, you can go with a Land Rover MAF, but need a way to tune for it. You could run the stock MAF and just see where it maxes out. How much power are you looking for?

I am going to be using the 13lb pulley. Any more power than what I have now is better than nothing. Im not sure how much more power to expect. But Im going to stick with the stock MAF. Where does the stock one max out at more or less?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by atxking27
I am going to be using the 13lb pulley. Any more power than what I have now is better than nothing. Im not sure how much more power to expect. But Im going to stick with the stock MAF. Where does the stock one max out at more or less?
I am not entirely sure. In the 350whp range I believe. The car in that thread put down close to 370whp.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM

I am not entirely sure. In the 350whp range I believe. The car in that thread put down close to 370whp.

oh ok, cool. Would getting a bigger housing for the MAF help it push the HP up?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM

oh ok, cool. Would getting a bigger housing for the MAF help it push the HP up?
Yes, there is a thread on here and it maybe stickied in the all motor section showing proven dyno gains with a Land Rover MAF. But you must have a way to tune for it.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 AM

Yes, there is a thread on here and it maybe stickied in the all motor section showing proven dyno gains with a Land Rover MAF. But you must have a way to tune for it.

I plan on getting a wideband and already have a emanage ultimate at home. Another noob question, is it just the housing i need or the whole thing, housing and maf?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM

Ok never mind my earlier post, Im assuming the whole MAF. I havent slept yet and been busy all day. sorry if it seems like I am not reading the posts
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM

I have the 5th gen piping for sale and the recirculation valve, couplings and everything else needed . Plug and play no thinking required. Take a look, l will give you an awesome price too.

http://forums.maxima.org/forced-indu...ther-misc.html

You don't have many choices if you own a 5th gen, your MAF won't tolerate being on the charge side like the 4th gens. And you can run a 13 lbs pulley, no problem, l did 11 lbs with these pipes.

Last edited by Tmars; 04-06-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 PM

I might of found my charge pipes, maybe, but where do I get the hoses that are connected to them? And on the charge pipe that runs through the top WTH is connected to it from the right side (facing engine). i see it just drops down into the engine behind the radiator, Ive done countless searches and no good clear pics to answer my question. The more I learn about s/c'ing the more I find out that I still need more guidance.

But Im trying. so bear with me.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Boosted Panda

I might of found my charge pipes, maybe, but where do I get the hoses that are connected to them? And on the charge pipe that runs through the top WTH is connected to it from the right side (facing engine). i see it just drops down into the engine behind the radiator, Ive done countless searches and no good clear pics to answer my question. The more I learn about s/c'ing the more I find out that I still need more guidance.

But Im trying. so bear with me.
On the original setup, it looks like the top pipe is actually for the blowers inlet pulling air from the opposite side of where the blower is. The bottom piping is the blowers outlet to the TB.
But why not just do a setup like this?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
On the original setup, it looks like the top pipe is actually for the blowers inlet pulling air from the opposite side of where the blower is. The bottom piping is the blowers outlet to the TB.

It looks all good from the picture. but isn't the common misconception, the fact that the 5th gen OEM MAF doesn't like to be on the charge air side of the blower piping. Hence the reason Stillen designed the 5th gen pipes to have the OEM MAF on the intake side of the blower. Maybe that picture is an example of how not to do it, not how to do it.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Tmars
It looks all good from the picture. but isn't the common misconception, the fact that the 5th gen OEM MAF doesn't like to be on the charge air side of the blower piping. Hence the reason Stillen designed the 5th gen pipes to have the OEM MAF on the intake side of the blower. Maybe that picture is an example of how not to do it, not how to do it.

Well I've seen many run it this way. If you read the info posted in the thread linked earlier it explains how its totally doable with no ill effects.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 04-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 AM

My MAF is on the charged side and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. The car Flava posted is a car that is local to me and that car dynoed 300whp a couple years ago and he has had no issues with the MAF.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM

Well I've seen many run it this way. If you read the info posted in the thread linked earlier it explains how its totally doable with no ill effects.
Maybe you misread my post OEM 5th gen MAF. Not A rover MAF not a different housing but a OEM 5th gen MAF. Wow sometimes l think some of you are so bored that you look for confrontation. And maybe you should phone Stillen and tell them that they had it all wrong according to you.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Maybe you misread my post when l wrote the words, OEM 5th gen MAF. Not A rover MAF not a different housing but a OEM 5th gen MAF. Wow sometimes l think some of you are so bored that you look for confrontation. And maybe you should phone Stillen and tell them that they had it all wrong according to you.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Maybe you misread my post when l wrote the words, OEM 5th gen MAF. Not A rover MAF not a different housing but a OEM 5th gen MAF. Wow sometimes l think some of you are so bored that you look for confrontation. And maybe you should phone Stillen and tell them that they had it all wrong according to you.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM

I would do the 4th gen piping because I read and found out that the way that stillen did the 5th gen piping chokes the engine at around 120 or so and when secondtonone did his 5th gen with 4th gen piping using the stock MAF on the charged side said he had no problems sticking the needle at 160. Not that I would be doing that very often, just nice to know that its capable of that. I just read conflicting stories about the MAF on the charged side not doing good there, but was told to put the MAF in the upright position. I'm going to give it a shot and go with the 4th gen pipes for now, but might grab some 5th gen pipes as back ups just in case my MAF doesnt cooperate.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Tmars

Jeez, calm down.
I was refering to an OEM MAF as well. Not all use the Land Rover MAF, just like not all 4th gens use a Z32 MAF. Even in that link nismomaxct posted, secondtonone317 stated he ran just fine with it. Of course he was preparing to go with a larger housing later but that didnt change the fact
No one here was looking for confrontation, well other then youself I guess.
We are just stating simple facts based on other users experience.
Just because Stillen stated to put it on the non-charged side doesnt mean it cannot be applied to the charged side, because obviously its been done by other members here according to them, NOT ME.