Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo piping diameter RMT.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Turbo piping diameter RMT.

Ok, everyone knows I have the first rear mounted turbo setup, which being the first is also the least efficient.

I am going to upgrade my charge pipe, from the rear section to the intercooler, everything.

All my piping now is 2" from the turbo to the intercooler, then out the intercooler at 2" and tradition into 3" into the MAF and 3" into the Throttle body.

Now iv been doing a lil bit of reading and most of the STS rear mount setups use small 2" piping like mine, no bigger than 2.25.

My idea was to upgrade the piping in the back first, for example piping coming out of the turbo, then turning an going over the axle and then towards the front (by fuel tank). I was thinking upgrading this piping to 2.5", and leaving the rest 2". Then at the front, the intercooler will have a 2.5-2.75" inlet/outlet (also bigger IC). The reason I wanted to make the rear section with bigger piping is because it has a few turns, so less pressure loss would accure during those turns, right now one of the turns is an actual hose that is getting pinched.

Would it be even worth going to 2.5" back there while leaving the long pipe 2", should i just stick to 2" all mandrel bend (get rid of the rubber turns)?

I am def going to change the intercooler for bigger core and inlet/oulets, as well as making the outlet 2.5-3" from IC to the TB.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Hella internets

Hmm... i just shot down my friends offer for an intercooler with 2.5 inch inlets because you said never to go that big! wtf?! lol

Oh well i was actually gona still try it (even against your advice). I am still running with no intercooler ughhh...and i want to turn up boost but ive been so buzzyyy

btw whats up with you "going into the 11's?" lol
Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Hmm... i just shot down my friends offer for an intercooler with 2.5 inch inlets because you said never to go that big! wtf?! lol

Oh well i was actually gona still try it (even against your advice). I am still running with no intercooler ughhh...and i want to turn up boost but ive been so buzzyyy

btw whats up with you "going into the 11's?" lol
My sig is a look into the future lol, has not happend yet lol. (just some positive thinking, u kno).

Well I do remmeber saying to stick with the smaller IC, considering you power goals are different. My power goals now are way higher than what I initially planned for on the 3.0. So basically the smaller one is causing a choke and not being efficient. I placed an order for one yesterday. its a 28 x 9 x 2.75, with 2.5" inlets.

I am going to leave my piping at 2" from the back to the front (did some asking around and theres some [550-640whp] STS 350'z on 2" piping). 2" piping is going to have a step up to 2.5 to go into the IC, then on the outlet of the IC theres going to be another step from 2.5outlet into 3", then 3" will remain all the way to the top and into the intake manifold. I am sure this will make my piping and intercooler alot more efficient.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Hella internets

I was thinking about that right after i posted...makes sense...well you wana sell your current IC to me then? hehe
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
I was thinking about that right after i posted...makes sense...well you wana sell your current IC to me then? hehe
yea i need to sell it, you can have it. Gimme 60bucks shipped
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
yea i need to sell it, you can have it. Gimme 60bucks shipped
Lol one of my friends coming to my bbq this weekend read my post on here and told me he has one with 2" in and out that he was gona give me...so ill wait till sunday to let you know if that doesnt end up working.

Thanks tho hehe
Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 PM

you can turn thinner pipe sharper without disrupting the flow of the medium going through. the larger the pipe the less efficient the turns are, i would only upgrade pipe size if you could smooth out the curves. also with a larger pipe size you get more of a pressure drop and less air speed in the charge piping.

Think of it this way, your intercooler / charge piping is going to be limited by the smallest opening. You can squeeze a garden hose at any point along the entire length of the hose and it has the same effect (well, not really, as air can compress which makes the model much more difficult to comprehend, but you get the point its practically the same thing). With this in mind, how big is the outlet of your turbo charger?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Redlinemax Owner

hes correct, essentially you get better velocity with the smaller piping which is what you need to get the air moving larger piping will create a pressure drop
Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
you can turn thinner pipe sharper without disrupting the flow of the medium going through. the larger the pipe the less efficient the turns are, i would only upgrade pipe size if you could smooth out the curves. also with a larger pipe size you get more of a pressure drop and less air speed in the charge piping.

Think of it this way, your intercooler / charge piping is going to be limited by the smallest opening. You can squeeze a garden hose at any point along the entire length of the hose and it has the same effect (well, not really, as air can compress which makes the model much more difficult to comprehend, but you get the point its practically the same thing). With this in mind, how big is the outlet of your turbo charger?
right now its 2.5" but the turbo im getting soon is 3"