Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Fellow SCed Orgers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Boosted Panda

Fellow SCed Orgers...

Need some advice/ opinions.
I just sent my blower off to Vortech fora minor rebuild. The unit has a lot of miles on it and I noticed a real slight oil leak.
I currently have an original V1 blower. According to Vortechs site the specs for this unit are
Max Speed: 50000 RPM
Max Boost: 20 PSI
Max Flow: 1000 CFM
Max Power: 680 HP
Peak Efficiency: 72
Now I could have the blower upgraded to the Si trim, for an additonal 360.00
which would change its specs to
Max Speed: 55000 RPM
Max Boost: 26 PSI
Max Flow: 1150 CFM
Max Power: 775 HP
Peak Efficiency: 78%
The Tech I spoke to said the Si trim builds boost more efficiently and told me with this unit I would see boost build sooner then I currently do with the Standard V1.
Im a bit undecided though, Im not sure if its really worth the extra 360.00. Yes I know its more effecient, and seeing boost come on early is a huge plus but I could always change from the 2.87 to the 2.62 and see similiar results for much less. I know about over spinning the blower, but the reality is I dont currently go over the 6500 and not sure if i would even if I did the Si upgrade.
I had originally planned on just rebulding the blower and maybe swapping pullies for the 2.62 and then going to get some tuning done. If I were to get the Si upgrade I wouldnt really have much left for tuning and would have to rely on my street tune for a while, which works but isnt the greatest.
Your thoughts??
Old 09-04-2009, 02:56 PM
VQ30 DE T

I would go with the Si trim if you plan to keep the car for a while.
Buy a smaller pully If you are looking for another car in the near future. No reason to spend $360 especially if you dont race the car.
Goodluck with your setup.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But for 360 I think the Si would be a better solution though. Whether you keep the car or not because even if you decide to sell it, its a good selling point to mention the blower is rebuilt with and is better than a reg V1. And for tune I think you would need a good tune because you pushing more air not necessarily sooner boost but the more air you have will cause you to run lean. It shouldn't be by that much though. Have you inquired about the T trim?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by accordingtou
I would go with the Si trim if you plan to keep the car for a while.
Buy a smaller pully If you are looking for another car in the near future. No reason to spend $360 especially if you dont race the car.
Goodluck with your setup.
Well Ive had the car for 12yrs now and dont really have any plans on getting rid of it.

Originally Posted by maxima92se
But for 360 I think the Si would be a better solution though. Whether you keep the car or not because even if you decide to sell it, its a good selling point to mention the blower is rebuilt with and is better than a reg V1. And for tune I think you would need a good tune because you pushing more air not necessarily sooner boost but the more air you have will cause you to run lean. It shouldn't be by that much though. Have you inquired about the T trim?

T trim is way out of my budget, its a little over 600.00 plus the cost of the minor rebuild.
I think I am going to do the Si upgrade. The outcome will be a better performing unit then even the older V2 scers. Also, if I later decided to do an upgrade, Vortechs policy is to have the unit undergo a basic rebuild before doing so and there is no point having it rebuilt again later just to get the upgrade.
Im well aware that going with this upgrade is going to require me to retune my car,which will have to be a street tune untill I can get some funds to get some dyno time.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 09-04-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Check out the 928motorsports billet impeller also, it makes an s-trim blower perform like a t-trim blower. You can do it yourself easily. You don't have to send it off and have a rebuild at the same time.

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...er-414whp.html
Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 PM

well i think that the T-trim may be the best, but if you cant afford it then yea a rebuild with a 2.62 would be beast, but like that you would be pushing the limits of ure injectors and ure stock motor right, cause i think you may have more than 450whp which is more that a VQ can handle without forged internals. well i may be wrong im not sure, after all i came to you for questions when i needed help=]
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM

I don't see the point of doing the upgrade. Not like you going to crank the boost to 26 or be at that hp range without blowing ur engine up. Sure it will boost faster but eh what I know I'm more show then go :[
Old 09-05-2009, 01:21 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i say go with whatever build makes u happy my friend at the end of the day ur still boosted but i think the upgrade would be better i would do it thats my opinion buddy
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
Check out the 928motorsports billet impeller also, it makes an s-trim blower perform like a t-trim blower. You can do it yourself easily. You don't have to send it off and have a rebuild at the same time.

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...er-414whp.html
That impeller looks sick, but Im very leary of toying with the blower myself.
Vortechs rebuild and upgrade will consists of replacement of all bearings and seals, new select fit impeller spacer and nut, and new new compressor retainers so its a bit more then just swapping out the impeller.

Originally Posted by scmaxima
well i think that the T-trim may be the best, but if you cant afford it then yea a rebuild with a 2.62 would be beast, but like that you would be pushing the limits of ure injectors and ure stock motor right, cause i think you may have more than 450whp which is more that a VQ can handle without forged internals. well i may be wrong im not sure, after all i came to you for questions when i needed help=]
Many have run the 2.62 and been fine on the stock bottom end. Im running 555's so I should be fine on that aspect. If I did do the 2.62 I dont think it would put me at the 450whp level. But Im thinking Im just going to do the Si upgrade and run the 2.87, Im thinking that will be plenty to make me happy.

Originally Posted by NYC A32
I don't see the point of doing the upgrade. Not like you going to crank the boost to 26 or be at that hp range without blowing ur engine up. Sure it will boost faster but eh what I know I'm more show then go :[
Well the blower would perform more effeciantly and be more durable. Im not looking to make crazy amounts of boost, if that was the goal it would be better to go with a turbo setup. Im pretty happy with the way it is now, but having the boost come on sooner with the same setup is a huge plus for me.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Bad *** Newb

boost control + smaller pulley FTW :P
Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Turbo 4th Gen

how about you do both si-trim and a 2.62 pully and call it a day
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

Originally Posted by 93altima
how about you do both si-trim and a 2.62 pully and call it a day
amen, damn ralph i need to feel boostVQ power
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM

well since you said it yourself that you dont rev over 6500 id say just rebuild it and throw on that 2.62 pulley it's cheaper and you still have money for tunning. thats my opinion.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Boosted Panda

If all goes well at Vortech, Ive decided that Im going to go with the Si upgrade.
Its not quite the T trim but from what Ive read its more efficent than the T-trim, only makes 50CFM less and is capable of the same PSI level for half of the money.
Also from what Ive read on the Mustang forums, guys running the same blower as me that have done both the 2.62 pulley and then went to a Si upgrade paired with the 2.87 said this setup was much better. It built early boost comparable to the 2.62 but the unit does so more effeciently and without overspinning/overworking the blower. They "claim" they noticed a reduction in temp's because their blowers arent working as hard. The rebuild consists of upgraded bearings to compensate for the new impeller and as a result of the impeller swap a new volute/ housing is added as well.
That 928 impeller is really nice, but at $495.00 for it, its not too cheap.
Id also be bit leary of just running this impeller without replacing anything else on a high mileaged blower, ie seals and bearings which is basicly what a rebuild is which costs 325.00. So if I were to do the rebuild plus this 928 impeller it would come out a more then just doing the rebuild and Si upgrade.
The gains of the 928 impeller look somewhat similiar to what the Mustang guys were seeing with the Si upgrade as far as the boost gains per rpm.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I'm a little late on this but I would go with the upgrade. I know money is always a factor but since you are sending it into the factory you might as well have it done right.

My poor Max pales in comparison to most of you boosted members nowadays, LOL. I've got a wopping 75K miles on my car. My Hybrid sees most family duty...haha.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Boosted Panda

Well got a call from Vortech and it wasnt a good one.
Im being told my blower is basicly trashed. Even though I had no oil leaks, and no noises coming from the blower Vortech is telling me the blower is just too old and has had just too much use to be rebuilt.
Their telling me where the bearings seat has basicly expanded a bit and the bearings arent fitting in as tight as the used to. They told me that if they did go ahead and rebuild it that it would eventually fail and could cause damage to the motor due to injecting metal parts and etc.
They told me they would give me 1K credit for my blower and sell me a new V2 Si unit for 1200.
So, looks like my Max will be down for some time now.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Well that sucks. I think you meant $2200 for a new one.....

Hope you get the Panda back on the road soon.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Well that sucks. I think you meant $2200 for a new one.....

Hope you get the Panda back on the road soon.
Yes a new unit goes for 2200 but with my trade in Id get it for 1200
which looks like thats how Im going. Dont have much of a choice, cant go back to NA and if I did decide to go turbo Im not hacking up the headers and dont want to be down that long.
New blower will be a V2 Si unit for the 1200, well 1256 actually.
Not very happy though, had only wanted to spend the 700.00 and now Im looking at 1256.00 plus I will still need to scrounge up some dyno money.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator

How many years/miles were on it? Assuming a lot, you got your money's worth. Gotta pay to play.

But, rest assured, you're doing the right thing. Ptatohed and I have been preaching V2 SI to fellow org members for over a year now. Once my blower needs a rebuild, I'll be going V2 SI for sure. I may jump the gun and do it early as I will have some down time after Stillen appreciation day October 17th as I have some stuff planned.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Boosted Panda

How many years/miles were on it? Assuming a lot, you got your money's worth. Gotta pay to play.

But, rest assured, you're doing the right thing. Ptatohed and I have been preaching V2 SI to fellow org members for over a year now. Once my blower needs a rebuild, I'll be going V2 SI for sure. I may jump the gun and do it early as I will have some down time after Stillen appreciation day October 17th as I have some stuff planned.
Yes, the blower had LOTS of miles on it.
Ive had it for a bit over 3years now.
I bought it used from Stephen Max, and at that time he had put about 50-60k miles on it. When he bought it, the blower already had 60k. So right there and then it easily had over 100k miles. Ive put about 30k or so on it since.
I should have had it rebuilt a loong time ago, but since it never leaked or made noises I figured it was fine.
Yeah, Im actually a bit excited to feel the new blower. It will be a nice upgrade to the V1. Trust me, I know the expression "gotta pay to play" far too well now.
Curious to see what you have planned for in the future.
Are you currently running the T Trim?

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 09-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Wow. That's a lot of miles. Your blower probably holds the record for mileage on this forum.

No T-trim for me. I never understood why people have such a boner over the T-trim, when it's the least efficient blower available to us.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Boosted Panda

Wow. That's a lot of miles. Your blower probably holds the record for mileage on this forum.

No T-trim for me. I never understood why people have such a boner over the T-trim, when it's the least efficient blower available to us.
Yeah, after seeing the numbers and reading about up on it the T trim really only benefits those who can rev really high.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Panda just being lazy how much was the rebuild for the Si trim. If i don't sell my car then I will be doing this instead. I'm running the V2 S trim. probably has about 30K miles on it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by maxima92se
Panda just being lazy how much was the rebuild for the Si trim. If i don't sell my car then I will be doing this instead. I'm running the V2 S trim. probably has about 30K miles on it.
For the upgrade, youi have to get a minor rebuild so 325.00 for the rebuild and then an additional 360.00 for the upgrade.
My unit wasnt rebuildable so I purchased a brand new V2 Si blower which came in yesterday.
Hopefully it will be on by this weekend......
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Boosted Panda

Recieved the blower and got it all bolted up onto the car. Just need to do some other final things before firing it up and going for a test run.
however, once I got it on the car Ive noticed the bolt holding the pulley on is very close to the timing chain cover. This is the same pulley and hardware I used for the V1 and it wasnt this close. Anyone running a setup with their pully bolt really close the the cover?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Recieved the blower and got it all bolted up onto the car. Just need to do some other final things before firing it up and going for a test run.
however, once I got it on the car Ive noticed the bolt holding the pulley on is very close to the timing chain cover. This is the same pulley and hardware I used for the V1 and it wasnt this close. Anyone running a setup with their pully bolt really close the the cover?
You sure you got your exact pulley bolt back??

When Ptatohed and I installed the SC on VIPMaxima's Max, we had to shave the bolt head thickness in half to give it adequate clearance.

Just how close is it? 2mm close??
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
nycnissans

Just go turbo.....

::hides::

I would just get a rebuild and the smaller pulley.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
Just go turbo.....

LOL. He got the rebuild.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Boosted Panda

You sure you got your exact pulley bolt back??

When Ptatohed and I installed the SC on VIPMaxima's Max, we had to shave the bolt head thickness in half to give it adequate clearance.

Just how close is it? 2mm close??
Mmmm, I didnt measure it but Id say a CC could fit in the space.
Its the same pulley. They actually put a brand new pulley onto the unit and I removed that one and installed mine onto it.

LOL. He got the rebuild.
I actually got a brand new V2 Si blower.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 09-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Boosted Panda

Just go turbo.....

I was condsidering it, but I didnt want to hack up my cattman headers and didnt want to be down for long.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Mmmm, I didnt measure it but Id say a CC could fit in the space.
Its the same pulley. They actually put a brand new pulley onto the unit and I removed that one and installed mine onto it.

I actually got a brand new V2 Si blower.
A CC, eh? That's is close. Should be ok, just keep an eye on it for a bit.

I see. I thought they "converted" and rebuilt your old one to Si specs. Can't go wrong with brand spankin' new!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
nycnissans

I was condsidering it, but I didnt want to hack up my cattman headers and didnt want to be down for long.
Deffinately take a ride in a turbo Maxima sometime tho. It will do to you what it did to me. Think of what you feel at 6000 except you feel that at 3000 and it carries all the way to redline.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Boosted Panda

A CC, eh? That's is close. Should be ok, just keep an eye on it for a bit.

I see. I thought they "converted" and rebuilt your old one to Si specs. Can't go wrong with brand spankin' new!
Yup, brand spankin new. I had to relocate the oil dran back and reposition the scroll downward for the IC piping. I wish I had a bit extra cash to have gotten the polished version but o well.

Deffinately take a ride in a turbo Maxima sometime tho. It will do to you what it did to me. Think of what you feel at 6000 except you feel that at 3000 and it carries all the way to redline.
Oh trust me, I havent ruled that out. Ive been considering going turboed for a while.
At least this way I can still drive the car while I aquire parts for a turbo setup........ sometime down the road.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
nycnissans

Oh trust me, I havent ruled that out. Ive been considering going turboed for a while.
At least this way I can still drive the car while I aquire parts for a turbo setup........ sometime down the road.
It can be done for under $2000, heck even under $1500, it all depends on the kind of parts you buy and the gains you're looking for.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Go turbo. You can do the reverse Y pipe and wont have to hack your headers..

Thanks for the JWT and injectors.. I haven't installed them yet...

Last edited by nwell2k3; 09-28-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
Go turbo. You can do the reverse Y pipe and wont have to hack your headers..

Thanks for the JWT and injectors.. I haven't installed them yet...
Wow, that was a while back.
That would be the way to go, but I would have to have that fabbed up in order to bolt onto the Cattman header section.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Pay to Play

Sooo how does the car feel..?? Did you go for a spin yet? Pictures would be nice to see how the brand new piece looks
Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Boosted Panda

Took it for a short spin today up the road and i can say that Im not disappointed with the new blower. It moving more air thats for sure, my BOV is much louder now venting and under boost then what it was before. The whine of this V2 Si is comparable to my V1.
I Just did a couple of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and can definately tell a difference. The car pulls much harder then it ever did and does so immediately.
I saw 11lbs at 5k on the 2.87 with my FMIC. I used to see about 11.5 at 6500. I was short on time so I didnt want to really push it too hard since I didnt have time to do any datalogging. It was a bit hard to watch the boost gauge,AFRs and the road all at the same time. should have some time this weekend to play with the tune.
Im also trying to get with a local tuner who is the best guy we have in town to tune it and hopefully he can squeeze me in this Monday before he leaves town to tune some other vehicles.
As far as pics go, here are some I took of the blower....

And of course the pose with the blower before mounting it to the plate ...

Here is a crappy vid I shot from my phone shortly after the install and startup. I didnt feel like dragging my camera out but will take better video footage of it later using the video cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzG5Xd9qk_M
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Pay to Play

Orale! Te ves chingon

Damn 11lbs at 5k thats good. Big difference. Sweet to know everything went smooth. Enjoy it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Glad to see you followed teh rules of the obligatory pose...LOL....however your supposed to be in your junk clothes and hovering over your engine bay with it... hahahaha Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Fellow SCed Orgers...