Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

EMB questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM

EMB questions

Hey guys,

2000 maxima

So I'm really interested in getting EMB but I can't find this information anywhere. If I have the map sensor can I ELIMINATE my maf?

From what I've found online I can clamp it but I'm still using my maf until it gets maxed out. I've already blown my maf from being supercharged and I'm about to go turbo. Needless to say I fear for my maf.

I'm going to go with 7-8psi from a hx35. Do you guys think I'll have maf issues? I'd like to have the maf on the charged side for tuneability and I know on the s/c stillen had it on the intake side...has anyone been turbo with any success on the charged side (5th gen?).

I'm still looking around but I need an answer fast to buy streetz stuff lol.

Thanks,

Denis
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Im pretty sure u cant replace the maf with the map on the EB. however you WILL NOT AND SHOULD NOT have any problems with using a MAF, my car has been turbocharged for 3 years or a little more, and it has been blow through type of MAF setup. i have used 4th gen maf, as well as 3rd gen maf, and now a z32 maf, none which have given me problems.

Just look at the list of turbocharged or supercharged people that are blowing through the maf with no issues. Basically almost all turbo guys blow through the maf. look them all up. tunability is same, you can use the MAP sensor to tune, but you still need to have the MAF hooked up for the ecu. Basically you can have a table that has RPM on top and MAP voltage(boost) on the side, and your corrections will be for MAF.

btw, not sure if ur familiar with my setup, i have an hx35 @15psi on a built 3.5 block. WITH z32 maf. so thats alot of air flow through a maf.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 08-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To eliminate the MAF you need an E-manage ultimate at the minimum.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Moved.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Moved.
Thanks....don't know why I put in in All Motor (sorry!)

Ahh that sucks that blue can't do it! I was kind of thinking that they would only have that function in EMU though.

Hmm...with BLUE could I use say a z32 maf on my 5th gen? I know I can't just pop it on like a 4th gen but I'm assuming I could translate the values to the stock signal and then have a much more solid maf.

So I've contacted a couple members about their 5th gen setup but haven't gotten any responses yet about their maf longevity. If any of you guys skimming through have any exp with turbo 5th gens please let me know. I really want to have this all figured out.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
KH3 by popular demand

For the 5th gen you could just put the maf in a larger diameter tube like 3". You could run the stock maf, clamp it at 4.9v and use the map sensor to increase the injector pulsewidth from there. If you do a google search you can find out how to elimate the maf and use map but it involves a little bit of trial and error since you are making a map from scratch and it won't be reliable in weather and atmospheric changes. It's best just to run the maf and clamp if needed. I'm running maf on the charged side (4th gen) no issues. As long as you have the pressure sensor you can run the stock maf, if it maxes out just add pulsewidth.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 PM

MAF's have been eliminated with the EB? I guess that means it has an airflow output? But even if it did, there's no IAT conversion table like the EU has (as you mentioned).

Last edited by nismology; 08-25-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 PM

nah, you cannot completely eliminate the maf on the EB, thats for sure.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 PM

Why would you want to? A good friend of mine runs an AEM EMS on his NSX ('93, ODBI), which eliminates any need for the MAF or the o2 sensors and runs open loop full time. While this is just fine and dandy when the engine is warm, fuel mileage and cold driveability suffers GREATLY because the ECU can't compensate to stoich in real time at idle or partial throttle. The idle A/F has to be tuned fairly rich at warmer temperatures to compensate for the dense cold winter air; it wouldn't be very fun to lean your engine out to oblivion just because it was 35 degrees outside.

Take advantage of technology and leave the MAF in place.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by NousDefions
Why would you want to? A good friend of mine runs an AEM EMS on his NSX ('93, ODBI), which eliminates any need for the MAF or the o2 sensors and runs open loop full time. While this is just fine and dandy when the engine is warm, fuel mileage and cold driveability suffers GREATLY because the ECU can't compensate to stoich in real time at idle or partial throttle. The idle A/F has to be tuned fairly rich at warmer temperatures to compensate for the dense cold winter air; it wouldn't be very fun to lean your engine out to oblivion just because it was 35 degrees outside.

Take advantage of technology and leave the MAF in place.
With the E-manage Ultimate it's possible to retain the OEM closed-loop function (since it's just a piggy-back) and also easily make a global IAT conversion map to compensate for different air temps so it's completely seamless.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
SLOW

You can't remove it with EB, and you don't really want to either in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:58 AM

Ok I'm def not going to strive to get my maf out of the car...but if I'm gonna stick with my stock 2000 maf how can I protect it?

Right now I'm going to grab a landrover housing (hopefully) and will at least have that. I have a HX35 reverse Y setup sitting at my house and I really want to make sure I'm not going to blow my glass maf again.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You can't remove it with EB, and you don't really want to either in my opinion.
For a boosted setup, agreed. Not worth the trouble IMO. For an all-motor project it's worth pursuing if one has the patience to get it running properly.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Would the blue allow for me to use a different more sturdy maf like a z32 one?

EDIT:

So I've been searching around and it seems that guys with other cars can do this successfully. I see that there's settings and everything already programmed for the z32 maf inparticular. The only thing that I could see making it not work would be that there's no support for a 2000 maf.

Can anyone confirm that I'd be able to switch mafs to a z32? The only reason that I'm asking is because 4th gens can use it no problem but that doesn't seem to be the case with my gen.

Last edited by dfownz; 08-26-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dfownz
Would the blue allow for me to use a different more sturdy maf like a z32 one?

EDIT:

So I've been searching around and it seems that guys with other cars can do this successfully. I see that there's settings and everything already programmed for the z32 maf inparticular. The only thing that I could see making it not work would be that there's no support for a 2000 maf.

Can anyone confirm that I'd be able to switch mafs to a z32? The only reason that I'm asking is because 4th gens can use it no problem but that doesn't seem to be the case with my gen.
You can use any maf you want. I have used a 3rd gen maf, stock 4th gen, a modified 4thgen with a 3" housing, and you can made the adjustments needed for the different maf's, you do this in the, before/after injector setting.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 PM

This is awesome.