Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

S/C Install and Progress - DFOWNZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Heh, yeah I definitely recognize your name.

Hmm...madddd boosted maximas.

So....I took off my bumper and I'm gonna put in an intercooler.

I still am looking for aftermarket 5th gen piping pics with a cai and an intercooler if possible. I'm going to pull the coils soon and do the resistance measurements to see if there's any evidence of a bad one.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dfownz
Heh, yeah I definitely recognize your name.

Hmm...madddd boosted maximas.

So....I took off my bumper and I'm gonna put in an intercooler.

I still am looking for aftermarket 5th gen piping pics with a cai and an intercooler if possible. I'm going to pull the coils soon and do the resistance measurements to see if there's any evidence of a bad one.
Look up past threads from LatinMax. I know he had a supercharged 5th gen with intercooler and cold air intake.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Yeah so I got a new maf from my buddy and that's definitely what it was. Car runs fine except now its misfiring from a bad coil or at least I think that's what it is. When I unplug it the idle doesn't change at all.

Unfortunately I have a leak from my thermostat housing which totally sucks. I may have to order a new one because it probably got warped from me hammering it

Anyways my buddy is giving me an srt-4 oem intercooler, so I'm going to take everything out and put it back together with my maf on the intake side.

Do you guys know of any 5th genner's with a cold air intake?
LMAO, yea i almost resorted to a hammer to with my modified thermo housing, but good thing im patient.. But anywho..

I got my s/c mounted just gotta do the charge piping and fmu and il be ready to roll.

Edit: Just noticed, LOTS of New England Maximas going boosted, i think 5 or 6 in the area now.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
There's a strong possibility that there will be a second turbo 5th gen in the area by the end of the summer. We should declare this the summer of boost or something.

DFOWNZ, glad to see you are finally boosted. Don't know if you remember me, but I almost bought a lot of your supercharger stuff like 3 years ago.
hey now he bought my stuff lol.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 AM

Ok boys sorry I'm taking so long to update this thread, but unfortunately I just had my tonsils out and that has set me back!

If someone could hook me up with a description and parts list needed for a CAI that would be awesome. I can't work on the car right now (and not for at least another week), but I can order all the stuff so its ready when I'm better.

I'm going to cut out the inner fender where the windshield washer fluid tank and neck were in order to have a ballin CAI! Who uses that stuff anyways? Rainx FTW

I should need:

1) 90* elbow from the s/c inlet to go down where the windshield washer tank was. Can someone tell me what size the inlet of the s/c is? I think its 3" but I just want to make sure.

2) I should have all of the piping I need. I was going to do 3" piping for the CAI.

3) Should I use a velocity stack to keep the MAF alive? Anyone have a good site for quality ones?

4) I was also going to use the black ribbed rubber piece that I believe makes the airflow less turbulent. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about.

So my setup would go:

SS filter -> velocity stock -> maf -> black rubber thing -> about 6" of 3" pipe -> 3" 90* elbow -> s/c

If you guys have pics of how you mounted/secured the loose end of your CAI that would be awesome. I'm sure I can rig something up though if no one has pics.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 AM

Ohh and another thing. Will the CAI make my car not driveable in the rain? I have another car, so its not a problem, I just want to know.

Also after talking to kzooshoo I've decided that running the 2.87 is a bad idea for right now and I'm gonna be putting on the 3.33 pulley for a little bit. Once I grab an intercooler and have my injectors in then I'll throw on the 2.87 and terrorize RI.

Last edited by dfownz; 07-24-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The safety of wet driving with a CAI is determined by the placement of it. The lower its placed to the ground the higher chance it has of sucking in puddles and the such, hydrolocking your motor (pretty fatal). However if you place your CAI correctly and consider using a shield, which you can see on some aftermarket intakes like the Stillen Gen3 Intake for the G35 family. You just want to make sure you're not going to suck up water when you're driving.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Ohh and another thing. Will the CAI make my car not driveable in the rain? I have another car, so its not a problem, I just want to know.

Also after talking to kzooshoo I've decided that running the 2.87 is a bad idea for right now and I'm gonna be putting on the 3.33 pulley for a little bit. Once I grab an intercooler and have my injectors in then I'll throw on the 2.87 and terrorize RI.

HAHA thats awesome!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AcMav
The safety of wet driving with a CAI is determined by the placement of it. The lower its placed to the ground the higher chance it has of sucking in puddles and the such, hydrolocking your motor (pretty fatal). However if you place your CAI correctly and consider using a shield, which you can see on some aftermarket intakes like the Stillen Gen3 Intake for the G35 family. You just want to make sure you're not going to suck up water when you're driving.
Ohh yeah I know, this is going to be a sunny-day driver only anyways. I just want to see how other people have done it because I can't go work on my car and I'm limited to recalling clearances and imagination.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

If you're talking about the 5.5 I believe orgullo made a topic with pictures on a true CAI into the front fender. I was told a short WAI was best for the 5.5 though. You're running boost and the like, so im not sure which is best for your set up. Again I believe Orgullo has a post and picture description of the true CAI
Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Shouldn't be a problem for the cai, just don't drive through a puddle 1 ft or deeper, regular rain shouldn't really matter since it's in above the fender splash guard, just literally no 1 ft or deeper puddles.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM

bump for post #45

lol help a mute/bed ridden guy out!

I'm a 2000, meaning a 5th gen, but I doubt there's very much difference between a 4th, 5th, and 5.5 when talking about the inner fenders.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Your not the only one who's going to terrorize RI, my charge piping are on the way so watch out now ;D