Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Getting A Manifold Fab'd for me :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Getting A Manifold Fab'd for me :)

Well just got off the phone with William up at Blaast Performance in Canada and it looks like they are going to probably be doing the work on the fabrication of my Turbo Manifold, up-pipes, down-pipes for my 2002 Max 6-spd.

I contacted someone else in regards to the fab work (hlh0501) and he said he no longer does it, but I did ask if he could he knew/could source anything in regards to the matter.

Where has everyone else had there fab work done as it is not very common of a kit and therefore nobody mass produces one yet. William mentioned asked if my max was a 2000, I told him it was an 02 and he said he was not sure if the turbo manifold would come out to be the same and mach up correctly.. can anyone confirm this??

Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
KH3 by popular demand

The reason why they would probably not match up is because the 02 and the 00 have 2 different engines. 00 has the 3.0dek and the 02 has the vq35 iirc. SFR has done the vq35 so you may be able to contact them. There is a thread in this forum "Turbo for 5th gens". I honestly took mine to a speed shop and they fabbed my pipes. I'm on stock headers but just a forward feed design. A good muffler shop could do the pipes too, it just takes time, most likely it would be a side job for a good welder. There is also the RMT option.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Well SFR outta CA quoted me $1650!!! for the manifold and piping which I think is quite steep so I am contacting them again to see if they can adjust the price a little. Blaast Performance quoted me $550 for the turbo manifold and $300 for the 3" down pipe. I can upgrade to ceramic or stainless steal for extra, but I do not have money to just blow like that. So I believe they are going to be the ones to fab for me. Here is the email he sent me (let me know what you guys think) for my VQ35 turbo setup:

Yes the manifold will come in sections with v clamps in between.
The piping is 100% mandrell bent with as few bends possible and quality merges, nothing like ebay ones.
What is your wastegate? MAybe we will need it to custom make your kit...

Here'S what I can propose, a few good choices for each item.

turbocharger:

550$ T4 O trim / T04B V trim.50/.60 a/r (450HP)
650$ T31/T04E 60 trim .82/.70 a/r (500HP)
1199$ GT30R .63/.60 a/r (500HP)
750$ Precision P trim/ GT3782 .63/.69 a/r (500HP)

Manifold system:

Mild steel gloss black ceramic based enamel..........550$ (mirror polished cermacoat, add 200$)
Stainless, mirror polished..........750$

Downpipe (3" Downpipe with flex, Wastegate plumbed back, O2 bung, and v clamp)

mild steel gloss black ceramic based enamel..............300$
stainless .................................................. ...............450$
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

IMO, if you're going to do a custom turbo setup, get the turbo for the project first, because routing can be diff and flanges will be diff for each one.

before you pay SFR to do that, check local listings and find an exhaust shop that has a mandrel bender.

Get a quote from them to make a reverse Ypipe and downpipe for your turbo of choice. Most shops that have a mandrel bender will also do charge piping for you... IMO a mandrel bent steel/welded charge piping setup will save you ALOT of headaches over an aluminum/coupler generic ghetto setup off ebay. If you can find a shop that does turbo builds often you'll be in good shape. You'll probably save money and trouble by taking them the car, the turbo, and the IC, then have them fab up your whole piping setup including the exhaust from the downpipe back.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

Your absolutely right.. I actually emailed a couple of well known local shops that build vettes, stangs and such and are well known for great fab work! I am just afraid that with there reputation it is going to be killer expensive for the fab work. I already know the turbo I am using so that is okay.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Yeah it's usually easiest for them to fab it up if they have the turbo there with them.

I don't know if I'd go to the most popular shop, you are right that they tend to command a premium.

I found a local guy with a mandrel bender who loves doing performance setups/charge piping/turbo manifolds/collectors etc... way more than he likes doing basic exhaust repairs. That's the kinda guy who will do a good job and not charge you an arm and a leg to get it done.

Just remember if you're going to spend big money on this whole setup, make sure you spend it right the first time. I would really really advise against having a non-local shop with a low pricing quote send you something. You'll end up with fitment issues or other nightmares, and wind up standing in a local shop anyway lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by ser_altima
Well SFR outta CA quoted me $1650!!! for the manifold and piping which I think is quite steep so I am contacting them again to see if they can adjust the price a little. Blaast Performance quoted me $550 for the turbo manifold and $300 for the 3" down pipe. I can upgrade to ceramic or stainless steal for extra, but I do not have money to just blow like that. So I believe they are going to be the ones to fab for me. Here is the email he sent me (let me know what you guys think) for my VQ35 turbo setup:....
You still have to figure out intercooling piping as well if that was not included, and shipping if those quotes aren't shipped. Black ceramic is the only option imo..lol.$$. Turbos depend on what your power goals are and what rpm range the car will see most. Daily driver, weekend car, either of the first 2, track car, the 2nd 2. Make sure you research which ever company you decide to go with. Honestly alot of the work is done if you just get some aftermarket headers and have a muffler shop fab the other stuff.

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 01-07-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
You still have to figure out intercooling piping as well if that was not included, and shipping if those quotes aren't shipped. Black ceramic is the only option imo..lol.$$. Turbos depend on what your power goals are and what rpm range the car will see most. Daily driver, weekend car, either of the first 2, track car, the 2nd 2. Make sure you research which ever company you decide to go with. Honestly alot of the work is done if you just get some aftermarket headers and have a muffler shop fab the other stuff.
Stock manifolds will hold heat alot better in most situations, and also give a little more room.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Stock manifolds will hold heat alot better in most situations, and also give a little more room.
No doubt, I was just saying just in case because for some reason when people think turbo they think they have to get whole new manifolds.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned

Well the car already has the Cattman headers on it, that is how I purchased it. I emailed a couple local shops. Tomorrow I will search for some shops with mandrel bend machines.. I thought they were kinda pricey tho.. the machine that is so wouldn't that mean they only are at the larger shops (i.e. high end shops)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you considered a remote turbo kit?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

It is going to be a remote kit.. it will be very similar to how everyone else does the kits. The turbo will sit right where the stock airbox and battery normally sit.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 AM

It is going to be a remote kit.. it will be very similar to how everyone else does the kits. The turbo will sit right where the stock airbox and battery normally sit.

I think he was confused and meant a rear mount. I would also do a front mount by the battery as well if I did one.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM

I had a local shop do my feed pipe for my setup. Hell my new setup will be all done by me (minus the cage) .I am doing a header feedpipe now so its alot shorter feedpipe.. Good luck with the project.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kzoosho
I had a local shop do my feed pipe for my setup. Hell my new setup will be all done by me (minus the cage) .I am doing a header feedpipe now so its alot shorter feedpipe.. Good luck with the project.
When you say "header feedpipe" you are referring to the headers coming togther at a Y to feed the turbo correct?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM

When you say "header feedpipe" you are referring to the headers coming togther at a Y to feed the turbo correct?
No. Im am modifying headers to feed a turbo. There will be no y pipe. the front header will feed directly over to the turbo and the rear will feed over the tranny into the turbo.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM

No. Im am modifying headers to feed a turbo. There will be no y pipe. the front header will feed directly over to the turbo and the rear will feed over the tranny into the turbo.

Very cool, make sure there's lots of pics and measurements!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Very cool, make sure there's lots of pics and measurements!
I will. I plan to put them in my build thread. i havent updated it since i havent made much progress. i will update when i get it back from getting its cage.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

Well guys... Blaast Performance has a 2002 Nissan Maxima that just happened to come in for some work and they are going to use that vehicle to help mach up the kit perfectly for the fitment and fabrication of my kit I am putting deposit down today.. Am going with Stainless steal 3" piping Mandrell bends.. I am soooo excited Going to start out with a Garret 60-1 T/3 T/4 Journal bearing....cant afford ball bearing yet but after running setup with fuel upgrades will soon after move up to a bigger turbo possibly rebuild and do a HX Waiting anxiously to see results on another fellow Org members build
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Well guys... Blaast Performance has a 2002 Nissan Maxima that just happened to come in for some work and they are going to use that vehicle to help mach up the kit perfectly for the fitment and fabrication of my kit I am putting deposit down today.. Am going with Stainless steal 3" piping Mandrell bends.. I am soooo excited Going to start out with a Garret 60-1 T/3 T/4 Journal bearing....cant afford ball bearing yet but after running setup with fuel upgrades will soon after move up to a bigger turbo possibly rebuild and do a HX Waiting anxiously to see results on another fellow Org members build
I always hear good things about the HX turbos, the new ones with the variable vanes are really interesting too...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM

you talkin about the he351? they are nice turbos and relatively small also. Great spool and helluva air flow.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you talkin about the he351? they are nice turbos and relatively small also. Great spool and helluva air flow.
The he351ve should flow as much a 6 blade hx40, but it will spool faster and make more power due to the vgt. You can use a wastegate actuator to control the vgt.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
The he351ve should flow as much a 6 blade hx40, but it will spool faster and make more power due to the vgt. You can use a wastegate actuator to control the vgt.

Thats cool. I love my HE351 for the short time i had it in before winter! Pulled the kit because right now i need it to drive in the winter, and going with a different setup.

Also, i didnt know people had figured out how to control the VGT? I thought it was all electrical, being it on the cold side. Maybe ill have to check this all out.

Good luck on the setup! Be prepared to have the car down for awhile though, thats got to be the biggest mistake i made was hoping it would be done in a week or so.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Also, i didnt know people had figured out how to control the VGT? I thought it was all electrical, being it on the cold side. Maybe ill have to check this all out.
The VGT is electrical, but you can remove the electrical box and control the vgt with a WG diaphragm. I'm going to use a WG diaphragm, CO2, and a couple of solenoids to control my vgt. Here's a link to a vgt being controlled by a WG diaphragm.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...&topic=96770.0

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Good luck on the setup! Be prepared to have the car down for awhile though, thats got to be the biggest mistake i made was hoping it would be done in a week or so.
Thanks! I'm not putting a holset on my maxima (yet ). It's going on my project car.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by buddahh
yea thats what im planing on doing once i figure out what type of turbo im ganna get.
i honestly think a rear mount turbo is a was of money just cause the distance it has to travel. a remote mount turbo kit right near where the air box was is perfect.
You should read up on rear mount turbo setup, it will actually cut the expense in half, for example compared to what ser_altima was quoted for manifold and downpipe, (~$1,000). and read up on results, like dyno's and etc... Dont be fooled by the piping distance. In my rear mount setup, i used a turbo that was previously used on another maxima mounted in the front, I basically got spool up and full boost at same rpm as that car. I currently have an HX35 and responds just as quickly.

Goodluck with the setup ser_altima

Last edited by streetzlegend; 01-10-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.. yes I am excited and will keep everyone up to date.. on build.. fabrication of the manifold and piping should start within ia week or so.. I just purchased a turbo and will be mailing it to Blaast for the mach up.. I want everything to fit awesome! I have also considered going with water-to-air rather then intercooler.. a little more costly but much less piping, and very very efficient method of cooling
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Intercooler just makes everyone.. Esp after they see the front of the car. I get a lot of the thumbs up from a lot of guys, I mean a lot.. But the more efficient way of course would have been better plus keeps the car a true sleeper! GL with the build. Will be watching out for numbers.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maxima92se
Intercooler just makes everyone.. Esp after they see the front of the car. I get a lot of the thumbs up from a lot of guys, I mean a lot.. But the more efficient way of course would have been better plus keeps the car a true sleeper! GL with the build. Will be watching out for numbers.
What size injectors are you running?? I see it says "440cc soon"
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys.. yes I am excited and will keep everyone up to date.. on build.. fabrication of the manifold and piping should start within ia week or so.. I just purchased a turbo and will be mailing it to Blaast for the mach up.. I want everything to fit awesome! I have also considered going with water-to-air rather then intercooler.. a little more costly but much less piping, and very very efficient method of cooling
good luck, and yes you want everything to fit awesome....just think if something didnt fit awesome how unawesome that would be
id love to see the progress and pics
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Banned

I will definitely post pics up as everything comes together don't worry guys. I will be buying the EMU from a member around the 29th of this month, then all I need is a custom down-pipe made for me locally (easy), oil feed lines (easy), intercooler and piping which will not be too too bad.. after that put her together with about 10 other guys that are coming over for the build, tune her and run her
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM

What size injectors are you running?? I see it says "440cc soon"
Right now I am running the DEK.. There was one guy that said running the DEK's eould supply enough fuel with the 2.87pulley but in my case that wasnt, as soon as the VI opens up then the car goes lean. I have the 440's sitting in my closet but nothing to control the fuel with. I was thinking of getting an AFPR.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Right now I am running the DEK.. There was one guy that said running the DEK's eould supply enough fuel with the 2.87pulley but in my case that wasnt, as soon as the VI opens up then the car goes lean. I have the 440's sitting in my closet but nothing to control the fuel with. I was thinking of getting an AFPR.
I have an safcII that i could sell ya if you want. Pm me if you do. I used it last year and have no need for it this year since i went eu.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM

I have an safcII that i could sell ya if you want. Pm me if you do. I used it last year and have no need for it this year since i went eu.
Thanks kzoosho. I already have the vafcii installed and when the vi is engaged, I have the fuel set at +50 from 5300rpms till redline.i think I can fix it with more fuel pressure, bigger injectors and z32 mafs.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks kzoosho. I already have the vafcii installed and when the vi is engaged, I have the fuel set at +50 from 5300rpms till redline.i think I can fix it with more fuel pressure, bigger injectors and z32 mafs.
SO why not throw the 440's in now since you have the vafc in already? You will be fine. I ran 550's in mine on a safcII and a mevi.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM

good luck with the build..... i say gt30
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm subscribed to this thread. I'm curious to see how this goes. Please take pictures of the process. What is your budget for the project? I hope it goes well for you!