Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

DET parts for VQ30DE boost build

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DET parts for VQ30DE boost build

I've done a LOT of reading over the past years and I am narrowing down to a parts list for my build. The information I have found here has left me with a few questions..

1 - When using the pistons from a DET to lower your compression ratio is it necessary to also use the rods and/or crank from the DET as well?

this thread leads me to believe you just need the pistons, rods, and likely the wrist pins and snap rings.
http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...t-pistons.html

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ine-build.html

2 - The following post leads me to believe I can also use the oil jets from the DET but I have yet to find any information or diagrams about how they work. Are they banjo style like the vq35? I'll PM I30krab to see what he knows but any other information would help.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...gine-mods.html

thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM

bummmp.. I can't believe nobody knows this stuff.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:33 PM

It's hard to get the Det internals. I have been looking for them since last year. Jwt had a set but they sold them.. I found a company in New Jersey that sells the entire motor for $900. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can just get the block...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
It's hard to get the Det internals. I have been looking for them since last year. Jwt had a set but they sold them.. I found a company in New Jersey that sells the entire motor for $900. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can just get the block...
New Jersey huh? When you call will you please inquire about one for me? $900 is better than what I am looking at for just pistons and con rods, nevermind a crank!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
brotherhood of tq

if you can find me the jdm part numbers i could try and ask my contact at nissan HO in TN
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 PM

I called both places one in Nj the other in Queens ny. They told me they don't have any...
Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if you can find me the jdm part numbers i could try and ask my contact at nissan HO in TN
I haven't been able to find any part numbers
Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

y'all aren't lookin hard enough. i bought a det off of ebay last week. i also have a source in japan but it was gonna run $2k (high estimate) for the used internals and turbo. keep in mind shipping engines, even domestic, isn't cheap either. i payed more for shipping than i did for the engine.

i did a lot of reading before i purchased and what i gathered was the rods were necessary and the crank is beneficial because it is stronger than the non-turbo. admittedly, the information is few and far between and i couldn't find a lot of threads referenced. i may be completely off. this was never a very popular topic and there is a lot of misinformation in the older threads.

once somebody finally did do it it was declared a waste of time. if your purpose is raw power the general consensus is you can do more with less money. if you're like me and just want to do it to say you did it, keep your eyes peeled on ebay. seems to be the place to look.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
y'all aren't lookin hard enough. i bought a det off of ebay last week. i also have a source in japan but it was gonna run $2k (high estimate) for the used internals and turbo. keep in mind shipping engines, even domestic, isn't cheap either. i payed more for shipping than i did for the engine.

i did a lot of reading before i purchased and what i gathered was the rods were necessary and the crank is beneficial because it is stronger than the non-turbo. admittedly, the information is few and far between and i couldn't find a lot of threads referenced. i may be completely off. this was never a very popular topic and there is a lot of misinformation in the older threads.

once somebody finally did do it it was declared a waste of time. if your purpose is raw power the general consensus is you can do more with less money. if you're like me and just want to do it to say you did it, keep your eyes peeled on ebay. seems to be the place to look.
I would like to get just the internals.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

i can dig it, but sometimes a complete might be easier/cheaper to find than sourcing internals.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM

You guys need to talk to Dave B at Southpoint Nissan in Texas. He can get the internals for you.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Former Vendor

from what i read the wait for jdm nissan parts can be very long and the price is up there. any dealer should be able to get the parts provided you have the part numbers, but dave b is always a good choice cause he hooks it up.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 PM

I've spoken to Dave and there is a super long wait to get them..
From what I gather the piston to rod specs are the same as the DE but the rod to crank specs are different. SO you can swap in just the pistons otherwise you're looking at rotating assembly. I haven't much information on the heads 'cause it's just not available, and the information on the intake isn't concrete.
I agree to the fullest that an engine used is a better deal than the parts, my jap source wants almost 2k for a new rotating assembly. I can get the pistons from him and shot peen my rods for about $500 so I might just go that way. I guess we'll see.
I've been looking on ebay for some time and haven't seen any. I will keep looking though.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM

I guess this brings me to a great time to pose a question...

If I were to lower my compression ration via DET pistons and just shot peen my DE rods would you think that should be enough to hold on for 350-450 whp/tq? Not saying that's what I will make but it seems like more than I will need with my FWD maxima so I thought I would set that as a target for my internals.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 AM

The vq30det was swapped into a 4th gen last year, by some guys in Brooklyn Ny. I think his name is Bkmaxima on here.
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/news.php?readmore=192
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by maxine'sMan
I guess this brings me to a great time to pose a question...

If I were to lower my compression ration via DET pistons and just shot peen my DE rods would you think that should be enough to hold on for 350-450 whp/tq? Not saying that's what I will make but it seems like more than I will need with my FWD maxima so I thought I would set that as a target for my internals.
theres people running more power on stock internals with stock cr. like i said earlier, you can do more with less. the only reason to do det internals is to say you did it and without doing the whole conversion i don't see the point. you could just buy low compression pistons (or even turbo the stock vq) without dealing with the headache of finding and paying for the jdm parts.

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
The vq30det was swapped into a 4th gen last year, by some guys in Brooklyn Ny. I think his name is Bkmaxima on here.
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/news.php?readmore=192
thats just gross... i guess is doesn't matter if you're all go but i'm mostly show. my goal is to build something that looks/performs as if it could be oem.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 AM

theres people running more power on stock internals with stock cr. like i said earlier, you can do more with less. the only reason to do det internals is to say you did it and without doing the whole conversion i don't see the point. you could just buy low compression pistons (or even turbo the stock vq) without dealing with the headache of finding and paying for the jdm parts.

thats just gross... i guess is doesn't matter if you're all go but i'm mostly show. my goal is to build something that looks/performs as if it could be oem.

That was the first pics. I'm sure they cleaned the lines up...

I think he sold that car...
Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Hell I can't even see anything past their ridiculous watermarking, which wasn't even done correctly.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 AM

I posted that pic just to show that it was done. Contact Bkmaxima and he can give you the details. I remember he was trying to sell the car then he was trying to sell the motor on nico forum... (IIR)

I have been finding info (not alot) on 240 and skyline forums.. It seems to be a very popular and easy swap for those cars and the sand buggies..
Old 09-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Why not use a 3.5 block? pistons and rods are so cheap these days, and the 350z market is ever growing. and, let me say, FWD vq35 stock longblocks are ridiculously easy to source(cheap). make it a frankenstein.

or maybe it won't work??

im going to have an extra 3.5 block with bad rings if you need. there is no replacement for displacement.

edit: http://myspecv.com/f/t5195-vq30det-s...last-page.html

that is the link for a b15 with a built VQ30det. you could contact Travis, he has many sources, and he built this sick-*** sentra. maybe he can get you your pistons

Last edited by SER02; 09-24-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:57 PM

I'm thinking that is the way I am going to go, BUT I'd have to have the full swap so I'm currently back to the drawing board. I'd never forgive myself if I had a 3.5 and no UTEC.

I think the DET there is just a DE with a turbo that's been dubbed as such by the owner. I could be wrong tho.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Hell I can't even see anything past their ridiculous watermarking, which wasn't even done correctly.
Wow just wow .. Some of you guys just really need to learn to read .. It says it clear as day that that was a test setup and run .. The motor has been currently trans in to another clean as you can get 99 se-l shell and the swap is cleaner then any of could ever think of.. Its clear of all wires do to running a full WOLF standalone . Currently running a GT4088, 750cc RC's on custom fuel rails with aeromotive 1:11 FPR , Yea they are big but the standalone works it out .Upgraded Tail 44mm wastegate . and so on .. to much to list

But for the most part the swap was not a waste of time .. And i did it just to say i did it .. Plus no 1 had it on record of ever being done b4 i did it so i felt good about it .. For any1 that wants to do this swap i say go ahead but i just hope you have the time and money and for the most part patients. Also some knowledge of what your about to do .. Its some custom work , Motor mounts , axle bracket mount, IM and TB fab work to get the hood to close
The motor is running like a champ and if making and holding more power then i would ever thought a stock motor would take with the abuse we give it
And trust me it gets beat on and not just the weekends ... Car hasn't been tracked and prob wont be do to the track being so dam far if it brake's ,cuz i know that question is going to come up .Maybe my buddy that it belongs to now will track it .. I will track my up coming project . It has been dynoed a **** load of times.. We don't post numbers do to my our reasons and so on ..

Funny thing is that i didn't get along with NELOC very much when i was first doing this .. But we are cool now .. But i see what he was talking about now .. Its guys like you 2 that don't read or search b4 you make stupid comments like you just did here..

But my reason for this post is people on here don't think b4 they post .. I from reading some post i can fully understand why some guys just read rather then posting , Its because of the smart *** come backs .My post count tells all . there alot of people on this forum that dont post at all and when they do they get bashed.. I rarely see some1 just answer a question with out a sarcastic ending .. The question or statement might be stupid to but not to another ....I never really needed help with my motor swap at all . Me and the guys that did the work pretty much had it all under wraps.. im not going to say we didn't run into any snags or bugs but we worked them out ..Plus i did all the research on the motor to know what i was getting into . I just use to come on here to ask questions about it just to see the rude a crazy *** replies .. Anyway not trying to cause any drama cuz I'm know for that (Lol) so I'm going to keep it moving

Last edited by bkmaxima; 09-25-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM

I don't know bkmaxima nor do I know traffik blockin but i think
the water marks were more for reppin them, then preventing people from coping..

Now back to the subject of this thread...
Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 PM

no point in spending so much money on a build! I've spent alot of money on my build and never even touched the block if you think about it, unless u plan on running one massive turbo at like 30+psi and trying to make crazy numbers it just doesn't pay to build the internals! you'll make good power with the stock vq30de-k block and have less problems keeping it stock, if the engine ever blows you can just repair it or swap it, and do so many times for less money than a low compression build! I've made well over 335whp in my max and pushed the engine with as much as 12-13psi for a long time, its a strong block and it doesn't really pay to touch it without wanting more than 400whp! Spend the money on reinforcing the transmission or the rest of the vehicle instead! Buy the 1st-4th PAR engineered gear set instead of waisting time and money on a block that already performs!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it is hard to find intenals for the 4th gen i have been looking for a while for a supercharger set up and i cant find a new one anywhere
Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 PM

i have a set of vq30det internals for sale also the intake manifold if any of you guys are interested. i have a few vq30det if anyonw wants any numbers off of parts you can e-mail me
brandon@balisticmotors.com
Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bkmaxima
Wow just wow .. Some of you guys just really need to learn to read .. It says it clear as day that that was a test setup and run ..
if anyone needs to learn anything, you need to learn how to accept criticism. your whole post could have been summed up in 1 pic of the new setup.

The motor has been currently trans in to another clean as you can get 99 se-l shell and the swap is cleaner then any of (you) could ever think of..

you sure about that? cause what i'm thinking of involves stock block, heads, wiring, oem im, etc.

i'm glad you are proud of your results but i guarantee you you're wrong.

Its clear of all wires do to running a full WOLF standalone . Currently running a GT4088, 750cc RC's on custom fuel rails with aeromotive 1:11 FPR , Yea they are big but the standalone works it out .Upgraded Tail 44mm wastegate . and so on .. to much to list

The motor is running like a champ and if making and holding more power then i would ever thought a stock motor would take with the abuse we give it
And trust me it gets beat on and not just the weekends ... Car hasn't been tracked and prob wont be do to the track being so dam far if it brake's ,cuz i know that question is going to come up .Maybe my buddy that it belongs to now will track it .. I will track my up coming project . It has been dynoed a **** load of times.. We don't post numbers do to my our reasons and so on ..
glad it worked out for ya.

But for the most part the swap was not a waste of time .. And i did it just to say i did it .. Plus no 1 had it on record of ever being done b4 i did it so i felt good about it .. For any1 that wants to do this swap i say go ahead but i just hope you have the time and money and for the most part patients. Also some knowledge of what your about to do .. Its some custom work , Motor mounts , axle bracket mount, IM and TB fab work to get the hood to close
only if you do it the way you did.

Funny thing is that i didn't get along with NELOC very much when i was first doing this .. But we are cool now .. But i see what he was talking about now .. Its guys like you 2 that don't read or search b4 you make stupid comments like you just did here..

But my reason for this post is people on here don't think b4 they post .. I from reading some post i can fully understand why some guys just read rather then posting , Its because of the smart *** come backs .My post count tells all . there alot of people on this forum that dont post at all and when they do they get bashed.. I rarely see some1 just answer a question with out a sarcastic ending .. The question or statement might be stupid to but not to another ....I never really needed help with my motor swap at all . Me and the guys that did the work pretty much had it all under wraps.. im not going to say we didn't run into any snags or bugs but we worked them out ..Plus i did all the research on the motor to know what i was getting into . I just use to come on here to ask questions about it just to see the rude a crazy *** replies .. Anyway not trying to cause any drama cuz I'm know for that (Lol) so I'm going to keep it moving
there was nothing sarcastic or smart a** about my comment. it really was that bad to look at. you want to point the finger but i have read every post on the .org containing the word "vq30det" (which you assumed i hadn't), something like 18 pages of results, and you never showed anything except for these pics afaik.

i understand that you got dogged on the .org before but before you go flying off the handle you need to realize i didn't have s**t to do with that. i saw a picture of a nasty engine bay and that's what i commented on. i don't know you or anything about your car other than what is presented to me. you want to change my perception present something new rather than letting your hard feelings dictate your response.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cant we all just get along?

Quick question though, Is there a company that makes the exhaust manifold or does everybody make there own. Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SGT Maxima
Quick question though, Is there a company that makes the exhaust manifold or does everybody make there own. Thanks
VQ30DET exhaust manifolds? I have a spare set if you're interested. I was planning on using them, but the crossover pipe runs into coolant tubing and the starter on the FWD VQ30DE. To use the Vq30det mani's you will have to customize a new crossover pipe. Afaik, no one makes similar manis. Turbospecialties makes a kit, but you only replace the front mani, and you use your stock rear mani.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Bohead,

how much for the manis,

thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM

how much boost can you run with det internals
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

btw my vq30det made 325hp@7psi but it is in a sandrail