Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

VQ35 Midmount Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

thats good to hear bro. sucks that you had to go thru that whole ordeal. why are you replacing your neutral position switch?

why has no one answered my turbo question? anywho.. still readin and searchin bout turbos and what would fit what im lookin for.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by dizmax96
thats good to hear bro. sucks that you had to go thru that whole ordeal. why are you replacing your neutral position switch?

why has no one answered my turbo question? anywho.. still readin and searchin bout turbos and what would fit what im lookin for.
I have not answered your question because aside from my turbo I am not sure what would work well on the Maxima. The calculations that went into determining were very "fun" to produce and I have sense lost all that information, all I know is that this turbo fits very well for my setup...

I have had my Transmission down about 5 times, and during the last install of the transmission I broke the neutral position sensor, I honestly wouldn't care about it but it throws a CEL and I need to pass emissions...
Old 05-09-2008, 04:13 PM

oh haha okay. lemme see what other boosted maximas are running so that i can get a good idea of what i would likely use
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 PM
And... I'm out

oh haha okay. lemme see what other boosted maximas are running so that i can get a good idea of what i would likely use
To actually figure it all out yourself you need to do quite a few calculations with Volumetric Efficiency and some other things (man has it been a while)... all I know is that I was recommended the 62-1 for a power plant turbo, did the calculations myself and with the compressor map of the 62-1 I found that it would fit me best...

My plans were to hit full boost at 4k, prefer to not hit much boost until 4k so that I can grab traction and not rape my already sad gas millage...

Really it comes down to application though :-D
Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 PM

oh man i feel you on that. i want boost late so it would be stock like until it hits later on in the rpm range. you know what im saying? i want nice numbers with a low psi and late full boost.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
My plans were to hit full boost at 4k, prefer to not hit much boost until 4k so that I can grab traction and not rape my already sad gas millage...
Just to add to this statement. Yes this is exactly what a late spoolup will do. I have a swapped 3.5 in my car and Im using a Holset HX35 (the turbine is a T3, but the compressor is about the same dimensions as a T60-1/ T62, its huge, lol).

Turbo spools from the low 3000s but it doesnt make full boost until 4k. YES it does help plenty with traction, and gas milage is actually the same as with NA. If you floor it everywhere like I did the first 2 weeks, yea u'll get 12-13MPG, but now Im getting about 18-20mpg (just as good, and slightly better than my NA average).

But in MY case its not because the turbo is that big that it doesnt spool up until 4k. Its that damn SSIM (arg!)... it works GREAT for NA, but for boost.... its kind of annying to know that the turbo is spooling, you COULD already be hitting full boost but you WONT because the IM you gutted doesnt flow good until 4k, so all of a sudden at that RPM the boost just rockets up to full boost and the steering wheel wants to fly out your hand, LOL.

Im not sure if you have an SSIM but if you do, you may end up lookin for either IM spacers or buy a non-gutted IM. Personally I have a Z33 IM sitting behind me right now awaiting installation. Im not expecting to make any power from it over my SSIM, but simply to reshape the powercurve for a more linear extraction of power.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM

nicely put. so the t3/to4e 60-1 type turbo has a late spool huh? sounds great. alright i guess ima follow suit with the rest of the boosted heads running t3/t4 type turbo. thanks for the input blkmax
Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's sitting in the backseat, right now.

Here's the basic idea: http://mdpagi.com/merlyn/TurboExhaust.png

if you do it like that you gonna have so much turbo lag you will come in to boost at abot 4200 4500 rpms
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
We found a nice little pancake filter that'll be right on the turbo from K&N, I believe it was. I'll try to find the part number, I saved it in Google Docs somewhere.

Here it is: K&N RX-4130-1

Well we've already mocked it up under there, surprisingly enough there's actually a decent amount of clearance around the turbo.

It's a possibility...looks appetizing, doesn't it?
but the filter will always be dirty under the car

look at mine

Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by 02turbomax
if you do it like that you gonna have so much turbo lag you will come in to boost at abot 4200 4500 rpms
That is not going to have any more lag then any other setup with the same turbo
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM

That is not going to have any more lag then any other setup with the same turbo
yes it will the exhuast has to go to the turbo (4-5 feet) reach spool and then suck/send air to the intercooler though the charge piping and in the intake (6-7 feet) so on estimate it has to go though 10 - 12 feet of pipe so yes bad turbo lag bad spool up time
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
And... I'm out

yes it will the exhuast has to go to the turbo (4-5 feet) reach spool and then suck/send air to the intercooler though the charge piping and in the intake (6-7 feet) so on estimate it has to go though 10 - 12 feet of pipe so yes bad turbo lag bad spool up time
go talk to streets legend who has a rear mount turbo and doesn't experience any more lag then a standard mount...

actually, my piping is probably the same length if not shorter then yours...

I am going side mount intercooler, thus my intercooler is not in the front, and it will be a straight line from the turbo to the engine (aside from the 180 degree at the intercooler) and the most exhaust restriction I really have is a 180 degree to the turbo.

AND, if you cared to do your research no one has ever experienced any noticeable lag, if any at all from a rear / remote mount turbo setup versus standard setup, my setup is a better flowing setup then yours, and thus I believe you need to keep your mouth shut.

you have a reverse-y setup, where you are feeding exhaust under or around the engine to the turbo then down and back with a front mount intercooler which is always full of 90 degree bends... my setup is straight back just like any exhaust... trust me I have done my research and if any lag is there at all it will be virtually unnoticeable
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM

well you know you don't have to be a **** i come onto full boost at 2500 what does the legend come on at

okay yes i didn't catch the side mount
Old 05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
No more Maximas...

You're an idiot.

See above.

but the filter will always be dirty under the car

look at mine
Okay, filters get dirty.

When that happens, you clean them.

Problem solved.

well you know you don't have to be a **** i come onto full boost at 2500 what does the legend come on at
You are aware that lag is heavily dependant on turbo choice, more so than another foot or two of piping...right?

Cliffs: If you don't know what you're talking about, stay out of the AP section. That is all.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM

lol boost and lag is totally dependent on turbo sizing and choice
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM

you have to havepressure built up to build boost and if there is 10 feet o theres no pressure build up untill it hit the intake manfold
Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM

if is running a 60 trim going that far you screwed 4000-5000rpm

either way i might be wrong but i'm sure i'm right

make video of the boost gauge and the rpm when you done
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
And... I'm out

I don't plan to hit boost till about 4000 RPM... I have a Turbonetics 62-1 with a .96 A/R that is a VERY large A/R which allows for more top end power with the loss of low end power... if I was to go with a .63 or something of the sort I would build boost lower but I am not sure if you have ever actually driven your car, but personally, I don't need low end power at all, hell I can barely keep an axle on my car let alone grab any sort of traction.

Obviously I will have upgrades tires by the time the turbo goes on, but let me think about this...

If I raise my redline to 7100 RPM... and I don't hit boost till 4k hell even start building boost till 4k... let me jump back to all my times at the track... when I shift at redline, I usually plant myself at about 4,500 to 5,000 RPM if I am not mistaken... must be fun hitting full boost at 2,500 or whatever you hit it at and have it drop off at 5,500 to 6,000...

again you have your setup, I have mine but in reality you have NO clue about turbos what so ever and prob just paid a shop to make you a kit without putting any plans into the kit aside from the size of your intercooler piping which I hope you are running .5" piping or else you might run out of boost... *sarcasm*
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator

What???
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 PM

I don't plan to hit boost till about 4000 RPM... I have a Turbonetics 62-1 with a .96 A/R that is a VERY large A/R which allows for more top end power with the loss of low end power... if I was to go with a .63 or something of the sort I would build boost lower but I am not sure if you have ever actually driven your car, but personally, I don't need low end power at all, hell I can barely keep an axle on my car let alone grab any sort of traction.

Obviously I will have upgrades tires by the time the turbo goes on, but let me think about this...

If I raise my redline to 7100 RPM... and I don't hit boost till 4k hell even start building boost till 4k... let me jump back to all my times at the track... when I shift at redline, I usually plant myself at about 4,500 to 5,000 RPM if I am not mistaken... must be fun hitting full boost at 2,500 or whatever you hit it at and have it drop off at 5,500 to 6,000...

again you have your setup, I have mine but in reality you have NO clue about turbos what so ever and prob just paid a shop to make you a kit without putting any plans into the kit aside from the size of your intercooler piping which I hope you are running .5" piping or else you might run out of boost... *sarcasm*

okay i did the kit and i don't lose boost
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
What???
That 02 turboguy is talking out his ****. He has made several post that make no sense whatsoever. I say we let him post and ignore him. He obviously doesnt know much about whats going on in AP at all. KTHANXBYE.

Last edited by kzoosho; 05-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Ahhhh man it's violent in here!!! rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by TB.4L
Ahhhh man it's violent in here!!! rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta do what you gotta do when a moron tries to argue with me in my thread about things he doesn't even know about... I don't like false information to go in my threads and thus I will shut them up. No worries, he has proven in under a day or 2 that he is a complete moron.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Gotta do what you gotta do when a moron tries to argue with me in my thread about things he doesn't even know about... I don't like false information to go in my threads and thus I will shut them up. No worries, he has proven in under a day or 2 that he is a complete moron.
+1 For knowing the art of.............how to abuse a man rofl!!! and anyways i already addressed him for being a dic towards a couple guys sooo lets hope it changes lol.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM

okay i did the kit and i don't lose boost
all tc'ed cars lose boost. you just dont know it
Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by xnyc
all tc'ed cars lose boost. you just dont know it
No way. I dont lose any boost at all
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
No way. I dont lose any boost at all
Im sorry man, Im the one taking your lost boost I swear i was only borrowing it, I'll give it back!

Merlyn I cant wait to see this thing done! This is too cool. Thanks for keeping us up to date
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 AM
And... I'm out

Well, here is an update, won't say it is good news... but it is an update...

My transmission fails, or I fail at driving or a mix of both, maybe I just beat my car too hard NA... anyway, I am buying a 2006 HLSD 6-Speed (to replace my 04 HLSD 6-Speed that already replaced my Open Diff 2002 6-Speed).

That is going to put a pretty dent in my pocket but I feel more comfortable doing that then rebuilding my transmission again especially since I can try to build the 04 HLSD up to handle power, but with that I am also getting a new clutch / flywheel surface because I don't ever want to take this transmission off.

From there we will see how the car reacts and how it drives with the new RAxle as well...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM

good to hear bro. definitely an upgrade
Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM
And... I'm out

New Update:

The transmission is on its way to Dave B (2006 HLSD 6-Speed) and I am in the works of getting a used Cusco Twin Disc Carbon Clutch.

I really don't need the power of the Cusco Twin Disc, but lets just say, I might get a really good deal on it and I want / need a new clutch anyway. I will keep everyone posted. We are 99% sure the 350z Twin Disc will fit the Maxima aside from the dowel location which we will take care of. Hope to have everything here and ready to install in 2 weeks or so.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM

sounds like music to my ears
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM
And... I'm out

Got some pictures of the Cusco how it sits now and also inside my transmission. Everything looks like it will work so I am probably getting that (which will force me to sell my Fidanza Lightened Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch with 5k miles on them)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM

nice looking....when you decide to sell the old clutch and flywheel let me know how much your looking for i may be interested
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by prjct-rmt-DEk
nice looking....when you decide to sell the old clutch and flywheel let me know how much your looking for i may be interested

The best prices I can find online for brand new parts for the 2 are...

Spec Stage 2 Clutch / Pressure Plate - $469.56

Fidanza Lightened Flywheel - $519.99

(That was from a froogle search)

You can buy a Fidanza Replacement Friction Plate for like $60~.

I would say $500 for the 2 with 5k miles on them? I have never sold used wear items even though the flywheel really isn't wear since you can replace it... If anyone thinks that is outrageous give me a heads up but basically 50% of used items? *shrugs*

This is the insert (part number 221001) even though it fits the Evo that is the part # from Fidanza's parts catalog. $41.99

http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...roductid=17907

Last edited by Merlyn; 05-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM

It's not that late; on my old setup, my t3-t04s 60-1 hit full boost ~3500 rpm and that's on a VQ30. FWIW, I think I was the first one running a 60-1 turbo on a Maxima (this was over 4 years ago). Everyone else at the time (not that many to begin with) had T4's on a PFI kit or T3/T04e's. When I did it, everyone told me that it wasn't going to work well; the turbine and compressor housings had too much of a difference in size, it wasn't efficient, blah blah. But it actually worked very well for me. Full boost came on later than on a friend's turbo we built with a T3-T04E, but it resulted in my car having better traction. His car would lose traction much easier than mine. Plus a 60-1 is a lot of fun on the highway when the car is alread loaded.

A friend of mine bought my car and transferred the turbo to his Maxima. Euromaxima is his SN I think. He's done a lot of work to the setup since he's owned it.

nicely put. so the t3/to4e 60-1 type turbo has a late spool huh? sounds great. alright i guess ima follow suit with the rest of the boosted heads running t3/t4 type turbo. thanks for the input blkmax
Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM

so thats where euro got it from...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I R The Law

So you gave up on your build? I see you are selling you stuff.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 AM
And... I'm out

Not so much gave up, just moving to different things. If I had more time the turbo build would have already been done. The selling of it had nothing to do with the turbo setup at all, more so the fact that I am going to pay off a lot of debt and probably pick up a G35 6-speed Coupe. I am tired of modifying my DD.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:39 PM

i must say i am a little concerned on your choice of filter..i know you will be limited on space but i had similar issues with my other car (not a maxima) and i was using a filter close to that one a bit larger and it sucked the element in under boost..just in case you are curious my turbo that i am talking about is a 60-1. just be thinking about this while your at it.