Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Emanage Ultimate is here! -Part 2- *MAJOR UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Thanks...but I didn't make it. I just identified/marked all the wires and had a friend at my old work who does soldering on a daily basis splice everything. I only wish I could do things that cleanly.

I did cut apart chris'smax fried ECU for the connector though.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Thanks...but I didn't make it. I just identified/marked all the wires and had a friend at my old work who does soldering on a daily basis splice everything. I only wish I could do things that cleanly.

I did cut apart chris'smax fried ECU for the connector though.

I wondered where you got that end from
Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 AM

I need to find another dead ECU on the cheap...I'm just wait for Chris to try his wiring sKiLls again.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Kevlo for President

Ha. Check ebay. I see 00's go for like 30-50 bucks sometimes
Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow nice wangsta! So that should work on my early G? hehe. I assume not only did you need the connectors themselves but an extra wiring harness?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
VQ Wizard

I need to find another dead ECU on the cheap..

Mine finally showed up today.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

This Unit (Emanage) can't be used with Nitrous Setups? or can they
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

emanage controlls your ecu so you can tune with it, yes you can use it with a notrous setup to pull timing or etc etc.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by MAXDADDY98
This Unit (Emanage) can't be used with Nitrous Setups? or can they

Sure it can, quite a few people are using nitrous with it. Not sure why you think it wouldn't work?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Sure it can, quite a few people are using nitrous with it. Not sure why you think it wouldn't work?

It's not that I thought it wouldn't work, I just wasn't sure if people with Nitrous use it
Old 04-18-2006, 05:22 PM

Bump Bump,I know it is a few more weeks but jeez I need the update ,lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i dont know if its been talked about already but ive been seeing on yahoo EU group that miata's are chucking their afm's and tuning by "putting in the valves of voltage" in the map after they data log with the afm. can we do the same?
they have more info here http://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1825
Old 04-20-2006, 06:32 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
i dont know if its been talked about already but ive been seeing on yahoo EU group that miata's are chucking their afm's and tuning by "putting in the valves of voltage" in the map after they data log with the afm. can we do the same?
they have more info here http://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1825
This has been discussed before (removing the MAF and using MAP) but yes, we should be able to do that too. I am planning to experiment with that a bit in the next couple weeks. It will require more tuning effort though. And I wouldn't be surprised if a load (some resistance) will need to be wired in place of the MAF also to keep the ECU happy.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by DandyMax
This has been discussed before (removing the MAF and using MAP) but yes, we should be able to do that too. I am planning to experiment with that a bit in the next couple weeks. It will require more tuning effort though. And I wouldn't be surprised if a load (some resistance) will need to be wired in place of the MAF also to keep the ECU happy.
this would be very good for the FI guys exceeding the z32 mafs
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Administrator

this would be very good for the FI guys exceeding the z32 mafs
I've never heard of someone exceeding the z32 maf. The A32 maf yes, but not the z32 maf. Aren't the z32's rated up to 500 hp?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
3.5 in the works

Maybe he meant to say A32...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Maybe he meant to say A32...
yep oops
Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Why? You can do everything you need now. Logging timing is nice, but definitely not required.

Originally Posted by jeremykedel
Bump Bump,I know it is a few more weeks but jeez I need the update ,lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM

I am running 12psi with my MAF on the charge piping and it is the stock 2000 MAF.If you set the boost limit it will only read up to the voltage you set it at and feed it to the stock ecu and compensate with the EU.But I also have the greddy map sensor too.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM

You're maxing out the A33 MAF which has metered past 400whp?

Besides being able to monitor/log timing, what else do you think the new update will fix?

I am running 12psi with my MAF on the charge piping
and it is the stock 2000 MAF.If you set the boost limit it will only read up to the voltage you set it at and feed it to the stock ecu and compensate with the EU.But I also have the greddy map sensor too.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Yeah I actually maxed it out twice,but I set the limit to 4.48 across the board and it works great.

As far as the timing I am hoping for the two step and the ability to log the timing is going to be good for the rev limit.I want to be able to get my a/f straight for the boost up to 7000rpm and I think the timing is playing a key part in that.It is working great up till then and i cant monitor the timing,so I hope this will solve it all.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 PM

That's not maxed, it can measure higher. Why would you set the limit, since that is for cars that go into limp mode when they exceed a certain voltage at too low of an rpm. You don't need that unless you've triggered limp mode.

The two step has always worked, Dandys' latest tests just confirmed it did. Had nothing to do with the update. Timing also works, just not the ability to log it until Greddys' update is released.

Again, the update Dandy is working on isn't going to help you do anything you can't do with the current version except possibly notice when the ECU sees detonation and pulls timing.

Yeah I actually maxed it out twice,but I set the limit to 4.48 across the board and it works great.

As far as the timing I am hoping for the two step and the ability to log the timing is going to be good for the rev limit.I want to be able to get my a/f straight for the boost up to 7000rpm and I think the timing is playing a key part in that.It is working great up till then and i cant monitor the timing,so I hope this will solve it all.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

except possibly notice when the ECU sees detonation and pulls timing.
IceY2K1,

I thought the main argument was that the EU was NEVER going to be able to do this. That entire discussion last month with people saying I need the J&S with the EU if i detonate all of the sudden ??? Please elaborate

-matt
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
3.5 in the works

Alex: are you sure the 2-step worked with coil/tach signals? Did you try it? I'm not aware of anyone doing it on a car without the crank signal working.

Matty: I believe Greddy is still planning to add in knock retard functionality in a future update. When, I don't know. It could be a while. That's not to say that you shouldn't get a J&S though...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 PM

The discussion was about using the EU logging verifying the advance/retard IIRC.

If you log the timing curve under non-detonation conditions, you will see the timing outputs(input to EU) change if detonation occurs.

You still want a J&S, since it is closed-loop and reacts fast enough to prevent damage. In theory, logging timing very methodically can help you find the threshold of deontation and without damaging anything. However, if something dramatic changes, ie weather, fuel, octane, etc., you won't know until it is audible and at that point there could already be damage. Moderate HP engines can tolerate a good amount of detonation without serious damage, however high HP cars will not be as forgiving nor tolerate it for long.

In short, the J&S is the safest setup and a must have for anyone that is tuning near the edge or doesn't know EXACTLY what they are doing. Even if you do know what you're doing, ask Mardi/CMAX/etc. how many times something unexpected happened, ie fuel solenoid didn't come on, forgot to put different jet sizes in, or something else simple and the J&S prevented damage.

Originally Posted by matty
IceY2K1,

I thought the main argument was that the EU was NEVER going to be able to do this. That entire discussion last month with people saying I need the J&S with the EU if i detonate all of the sudden ??? Please elaborate

-matt
Old 04-20-2006, 10:27 PM

Not 100% sure, but I think so. I'll look.

No, I didn't try it and won't.

Alex: are you sure the 2-step worked with coil/tach signals? Did you try it? I'm not aware of anyone doing it on a car without the crank signal working.

Matty: I believe Greddy is still planning to add in knock retard functionality in a future update. When, I don't know. It could be a while.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

dont laugh people but can a car with a built auto w/ 3krpm stall find any use out of a 2 step?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 AM

I tried the two step and it didnt work on my car,and as far as what i said is i need to monitor the timing for my rev limit so,I get my a/f right.And yes I exceeded my Maf the car cut off,I logged it and experienced the limp mode,WhereI couldnt rev past a certain limit after the boost pushed it past 5 volts.And now after i set the boost limit it will not go past 4.48 and the EU compensates for the voltage.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
3.5 in the works

dont laugh people but can a car with a built auto w/ 3krpm stall find any use out of a 2 step?
Yes. There's 2 reason's for using it.... 1) you can put your foot to the floor thereby not having to be fine with throttle control in a short amount of time while/before the tree is starting

2) If you have a turbo you can sit there and build some boost before you launch.

The combined end result should be a better, more consistent launch.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:40 AM
3.5 in the works

....I tried the two step and it didnt work on my car....
I am *fairly* sure the 2-step does not work without having the crank signal pickup. Anyone is quite welcome to prove me wrong though. In a week to two I plan on putting the EU back in the car and doing some real tuning. Perhaps then I'll try the 2-step again using only ignition inputs. But I'm trying to remember... I think I already did that last fall unsuccessfully. Man... my memory is so bad these days.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM

You don't need timing for the rev-limit, I've already proven that.

Your A/F is not right because you/Kevlo didn't understand how the RLC map doesn't work properly for our type of fuel-cut and you must use the Add Inj map. I told Kevlo what needed to be done and he said he would have you do some more logs.

Must be because you have the MAF on the charged side...

I tried the two step and it didnt work on my car,and as far as what i said is i need to monitor the timing for my rev limit so,I get my a/f right.And yes I exceeded my Maf the car cut off,I logged it and experienced the limp mode,WhereI couldnt rev past a certain limit after the boost pushed it past 5 volts.And now after i set the boost limit it will not go past 4.48 and the EU compensates for the voltage.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 AM

I don't remember either, but lots of people were asking about it and I don't believe you gave them a yes/no answer.

I think it's possible, however just the like the RLC map, it may take some playing with to get to work.

The next update won't include any RLC logic changes will it?

I am *fairly* sure the 2-step does not work without having the crank signal pickup. Anyone is quite welcome to prove me wrong though. In a week to two I plan on putting the EU back in the car and doing some real tuning. Perhaps then I'll try the 2-step again using only ignition inputs. But I'm trying to remember... I think I already did that last fall unsuccessfully. Man... my memory is so bad these days.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:58 AM
3.5 in the works

I don't remember either, but lots of people were asking about it and I don't believe you gave them a yes/no answer.

I think it's possible, however just the like the RLC map, it may take some playing with to get to work.
I think I said somewhere early on it hadn't worked with the coils. But I'd have to search back to verify that. Damn lousy memory - I should have kept better records. I will try it again soon anyway just to reconfirm/prove otherwise.

But really, what's there to play with on the 2-step though? There's no map - just set the limit rpm, TP % kick-in point, and # of VSS signals for deactivation. That's pretty straightforward if you ask me. Unless there's some kind of unobvious and undocumented requirement like having to have a certain map active or what not...?

The next update won't include any RLC logic changes will it?
I kind of doubt it, but we'll see. I haven't been able to talk to Greddy for a good week and a half now, but last time I did I was told that our situation had been passed on to Japan and they were looking into it to see what they could do. I have asked specifically on a few occasions about the way the RLC map functions and no one at Greddy USA knows any more detail than you or I do. That's half the problem, the engineers who really understand it are in Japan.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM

I think I said somewhere early on it hadn't worked with the coils. But I'd have to search back to verify that. Damn lousy memory - I should have kept better records. I will try it again soon anyway just to reconfirm/prove otherwise.
I can't remember either...damn baaad head cold. I asked on the EU yahoo group, since I'm lazy.

But really, what's there to play with on the 2-step though? There's no map - just set the limit rpm, TP % kick-in point, and # of VSS signals for deactivation. That's pretty straightforward if you ask me. Unless there's some kind of unobvious and undocumented requirement like having to have a certain map active or what not...?
Nothing really, just the obvious stuff to try like tach vs. ignition and the optional switch/shift up and timing retard stuff.

I kind of doubt it, but we'll see. I haven't been able to talk to Greddy for a good week and a half now, but last time I did I was told that our situation had been passed on to Japan and they were looking into it to see what they could do. I have asked specifically on a few occasions about the way the RLC map functions and no one at Greddy USA knows any more detail than you or I do. That's half the problem, the engineers who really understand it are in Japan.
That's what I thought...I don't see the new update helping me or most except for the logging timing. Launch control doesn't matter to me. The RLC map is the important issue, now that we can log timing.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
3.5 in the works

Nothing really, just the obvious stuff to try like tach vs. ignition and the optional switch/shift up and timing retard stuff.
Those optional items shouldn't have anything to do with the 2-step working or not working though. They're additional functionalities.

That's what I thought...I don't see the new update helping me or most except for the logging timing. Launch control doesn't matter to me. The RLC map is the important issue, now that we can log timing.
It should help with finer control on everything, from fueling to RLC map etc due to accurate rpm pickup from the crank. And you may not care about launch control but there are many others who would, myself included.

Who knows, Greddy may add some revisions to the RLC map yet too. They certainly are aware of the issue now. Based on the beta, they've already added 2 extra timing maps I didn't know were coming.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM

Maybe...

Those optional items shouldn't have anything to do with the 2-step working or not working though. They're additional functionalities.
It should help with finer control on everything, from fueling to RLC map etc due to accurate rpm pickup from the crank. And you may not care about launch control but there are many others who would, myself included.

Who knows, Greddy may add some revisions to the RLC map yet too. They certainly are aware of the issue now. Based on the beta, they've already added 2 extra timing maps I didn't know were coming.
Agreed...but it works the way it is. The RLC map is what jeremykedel really needs fixed, otherwise he's "waiting" for something that he thinks is a cure for not understanding how the EU works currently. The version you have won't make drastic improvements in AFR above rev-cut IMO.

I agree the launch control is important to some, ie 1/4 guys, just not a hold up for most here "waiting" to buy once the update comes out. Just saying the EU already does everything...it is just getting better as the updates/improvements are released. Even though they are slow, I still think everyone should already have an EU. It has been about 6-months since your first thread and the EU still does what it did then except logging timing, yet people are "waiting" when we, the Maxima.org, could have progressed much further. Just tired of other boards jumping ahead and we're still waiting on minor features that don't work, yet the majority do. Just don't get it. I've gone as far as I wanted/could from day one, yet people without one still wait.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:42 PM

BTW, not knocking your efforts Dandy...just waiting patiently.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
3.5 in the works

Maybe...
I did not touch any of those things, just set the rpm, TP and VSS and it worked just fine. I highly doubt those optional things would prevent it from working at its basic level (ie - basic as in using only rpm, TP% and VSS pulses).

Agreed...but it works the way it is. The RLC map is what jeremykedel really needs fixed, otherwise he's "waiting" for something that he thinks is a cure for not understanding how the EU works currently. The version you have won't make drastic improvements in AFR above rev-cut IMO.
You could be correct in your assessment of his situation; but I haven't had a chance to talk to him lately or been on here much either to read about it so I'm not really up to date on what his issues are/have been.

I agree the launch control is important to some, ie 1/4 guys, just not a hold up for most here "waiting" to buy once the update comes out. Just saying the EU already does everything...it is just getting better as the updates/improvements are released. Even though they are slow, I still think everyone should already have an EU. It has been about 6-months since your first thread and the EU still does what it did then except logging timing, yet people are "waiting" when we, the Maxima.org, could have progressed much further. Just tired of other boards jumping ahead and we're still waiting on minor features that don't work, yet the majority do. Just don't get it. I've gone as far as I wanted/could from day one, yet people without one still wait.
6 months? I bought the EU in August.. that's more like 8! lol. (looong time anyways)

Maybe I'm a little out of the loop lately but are that many "waiting?" Jime bought one. Eng92 did, mingo, carnalc30, jeremy, blackbirdVQ, etc.. probably others too and most of them prior to this update news. But yeah I would certainly buy one (if I didn't already have one of course. haha). Heck I bought one before we knew whether anything would work. Well I shouldn't say "anything," but you know what I mean. And I don't mean to sound callous but I've just been too busy these days to go on the other boards (e.g. I haven't been over to the Z board in weeks) much less worry about which board is ahead of us. Not like I personally could have gone any faster with the EU anyways. My car was in winter storage forever it seemed, otherwise I would have been playing with it all along. Winter sucks!

It's out now obviously, but at this point, I have a bunch of maintenance and performance improvements I need to do, new wheel bearings being one example. Then in the next couple of weeks or so I will be doing a full EU tune (finally) and dynoing again, as well as experimenting with removing the MAF and running off MAP only. I may also post up a map or 2, we'll see. But I'm itching to get to the track just as soon as I can.

BTW, not knocking your efforts Dandy...just waiting patiently.
It's cool. You have contributed to this thing also, especially when I had to leave off and put the car away. Hopefully it will not be much longer...
Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Hey Dandy, I may be interested in the 2-step after all, but for "flat shifting", I found this old yahoo group post...

The launch control is always on once you enable it. Set the TPS
high enough and you'll never know it's there. Set it too low and you
may hit the launch rev limit when blipping the throttle for a
downshift. That would suck.

The easy way to activate the "flat shift" is the ignition
interlock (momentary N/C clutch switch) that most cars already have
and splice it to a 1/8" stereo mini jack for the "switch" port.
Doing that, the function is always there. You'd have to have a
second switch in between the clutch switch and EMU to disable it.

On my to do list is the clutch switch/flat shift fucntion. Combine
that with launch control and you have a nice drag racing tool.
Sounds like how I shift anyways, but easier on the engine/tranny to have the EU cut RPM when the clutch goes in...hmmnnnn
Old 04-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Icey you apparently dont understand what i am saying.I have adjusted the RLC map numerous amounts on and off the dyno.It brought down the a/f to 13.3 but i cant get it to 11.7 without the timing signal to read the timing off a log then adjust from there.I know what has to be adjusted I just am waiting patiently.

Dandy has done a great job and my applause for all the hard work.

I had some problems to start off like a faulty unit but other than that i have had a success with the EU.

Quick Reply: My Emanage Ultimate is here! -Part 2- *MAJOR UPDATE*